Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: Depositions

Aulty

With Carol's lawyer at Cloud 9 to depose the employees, Jonah tries to ease Glenn's nerves. Mateo enlists Sandra's help hiding the details of his work arrangement, while Dina grows concerned about Garrett's behavior at Customer Service.

Original Air Date: 02/25/2021

Promo:

Sorry I got the Episode Numbers for E10 and E11 mixed up - if a mod sees this, could you please edit noth posts, THX theatremouse! 🙂

Edited by Aulty

That's not  how a lawsuit works!  Carol's lawyer wasn't going after Glenn because she hoped to get a big judgement against him; she knows that the corporation has the deep pockets.  However, if Cloud 9 has incompetent employees (especially the manager), then Cloud 9 will be on the hook for the injury, so their lawyer should have been objecting all over the place.

Interesting how Sandra is no longer afraid that she might catch Covid from Mateo.  It was nice to see them working together, however.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 9

Mateo was surprisingly human this week. He was actually playing nice with Sandra, even before she was helping him with the "deposition". Not that kidnapping is great, but he wasn't just being nasty for sport like he usually is.

I liked seeing Glen be competent. 

• Love 16

The conversation between Jonah and the lawyer gave me Luke and Nicole (Gilmore Girls) flashbacks. One has to deal with Carol, the other with Taylor Doose.

With the end in sight, the Dinah and Garrett thing is progressing as expected.

• Love 8

$10 million? Carol wasn't permanently injured. She's able to still do the same job. Some money, sure, but she shouldn't get boat money!

Sandra and Matteo had the best part. I don't get the lawyer and Jonah. She's a practicing attorney, and he's a minimum wage, business school dropout who spent all day lying to her or trying to get others to lie to her. The show kinda ruined the veterinarian for me with the sharing arrangement, but I'd rather Dina be with him. Garrett deserves better.

I think just 4 more weeks with 2 episodes on the final week.

• Love 11

OK, I'm going to handwaive away all things legal in this episode, and sweep it all under the "it's a sitcom" rug.  Once that is done, I really liked this episode!  Weakest part was Dina and Garrett.  When Cheyenne is your voice of reason, damn, you really need help.

Jonah and Glenn were great.  Glenn & the lawyer was great.  I didn't see that coming.  It was nice for once to see Glenn as a competent adult, and the surprise of it all made it even better!  I loved his final talk with Jonah and making Jonah put his hand in the robot whatever it is thingy, and then for Jonah to get shocked. 

Sandra and Mateo were also fabulous together.  I totally forgot about the "real" assistant manager guy.  The fake deposition was hilarious.

Jonah and the lawyer...  hmmm... I could sort of see this.  The only thing I wish they added would have been a line from her asking him why he's there (at Cloud 9).  Not as part of the depo, but a throwaway line as she was walking out the door.  Something to get him thinking that maybe it's time to move on. 

• Love 14

Carol really is the worst.

One nitpick: when Mateo closes the door to the supply closet, he shoves one of those rubber wedge door stoppers underneath it. Eugene would have easily seen the other end of it on his side of the door.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Skyfall said:

So the continuity of masks was all over the place this episode. I wonder why.

You know, I didn't even notice it.  I think they're weaning off the mask/covid stuff.  It was a central part of the plot lines in the beginning, but I think they've mined it for all they could.  I wouldn't be surprised at all to see less and less of the masks in the last few episodes.

• Love 4

Carol really is the worst. 

Legal nonsense aside, I thought that this was a fun episode. It was nice seeing Mateo and Sandra in a plot where Mateo isnt just being mean to her. I am also really glad they showed Glenn actually being competent at his job. He makes a lot of goofy mistakes but he has been manager there for a long time, you can assume he at least kind of knows what he is doing. 

Jonah and the lawyer getting together could lead to real issues, but I am glad that Jonah is getting a win at least for now. 

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Skyfall said:

So the continuity of masks was all over the place this episode. I wonder why.

The biggest question for me is why there were no masks with the deposition.  Up to now they've had it kind of consistent that masks are on when employees and people outside the store mix, and off when it's employees only (break room or stocking times).  But for the outside lawyers to be there and not wearing masks definitely breaks that.  I suppose they wanted Jonah to be able to see the face of his new love interest.

It was funny watching everyone struggle to talk nicely but honestly about Glenn.  Marcus trying to rank the relative competence of the employees in the store made me laugh.

• Love 8
(edited)
11 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

Seems a little late in the game to finally give Jonah a new love interest with weeks to go, especially when Amy's return is probably imminent

I'm actually starting to think that Amy/America doesn't come back. It's the only way this makes sense.

I'd laugh if Jonah was "endgame" with a random.

It will definitely make re-watches a little weird.

Edited by Kip Hackman
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

Seems a little late in the game to finally give Jonah a new love interest with weeks to go, especially when Amy's return is probably imminent, but I'd laugh if Jonah was "endgame" with a random.

In normal times I think Carol’s attorney would love to charge a nice, expensive trip to San Francisco to depose Amy rather than drag Amy back to St. Louis or handle over Zoom. Amy’s the key to it all. She’s the one who assigned Carol to work with One N Glen. She’s the one who told Carol that Glen wasn’t working right. And when Carol said didn’t know much about fixing it, Glenn piped in that he had faith in her. So why they’re trying to pin this on Glenn instead of Amy is a puzzler. Amy also has a history of this: Marcus wasn’t trained on the meat slicer in the deli and lost his thumb (“Strawberry Jam.”)

An aside: I worked fast food when younger and had a colleague who was sweet but dense as a rock. She kept getting written up for things like not cleaning the ketchup dispenser, but she never called in and was liked by customers and staff. Then one day she amputated part of her finger in the meat slicer. The cleaning rules were very clear: Slicer unplugged. Blade flush against guide. You must wear chain mill gloves. She had the damn thing running, it was on the thickest setting, she wasn’t wearing gloves and was dipping a wet cloth into the spinning blade to clean it. Of course the teeth caught the cloth and pulled her hand into the blade. She tried to hide it(!) by running into the bathroom and wrapping band aid after band aid on it. Her hysterical sobbing clued people into the problem. She lost the tip of an index finger down to the nail bed, iirc. I moved shortly after that and don’t remember if she got fired for repeated violations or if she sued bc obviously she hadn’t been trained well enough to know how to avoid cutting off her finger.

• Love 2