Type keyword(s) to search

Stanley Tucci: Searching For Italy - General Discussion

• Start Topic

That was quite a picturesque episode - with the exception of that rain at the beginning any still from any scene that showed any of the water, homes and landscape would have made a great postcard.

I didn't know mussels and oysters filtered so much CO2. I love mussels and fried oysters, so I guess, that's even more of a reason to eat them ;-)

I also didn't know that oysters can take on color. It sounded like the green color was a sign of a healthy body of water even though the color itself didn't look healthy.

I'm not sure I would have wanted to try the cake-like thing that was topped with all of the seafood but I would have wanted to try the seafood and everything else from this episode.

That noodle dough for the ravioli looked paper thin and the ravioli looked delicious.

Is there a region in Italy that doesn't have olive trees and that doesn't produce olive oil? I never knew that (olive) oil could taste fruity.
Really interesting how the olives were harvested.

Didn't we have basil pesto making before? I feel like we've seen such a huge mortar before and that pesto has been covered before. Not that I mind.
I wonder if those who harvest the basil can still smell it. And how on earth can you tell that the basil's 6 inches long? It looked impossible.

I really hope this wasn't the last episode but if it was, it certainly was a deserving one.

• Love 1

Interesting, thanks. We were in Liguria for several nights/days and pesto is the only thing I remember distinctly. LOL. Fish. The pasta/potato/green bean dish (in pesto;-) Walnut sauce (with farfalle) we ate in Tuscany (another nonna at an agriturisimo) and everyone wanted to bury their faces in the bowl. Food in Italy. Stanley wasn't wrong.

• Love 4

I keep saying I'm going to make that pesto pasta with green beans & potatoes. Haven't made it in ages. We had that in Santa Margherita. I don't make pesto--I buy it fresh from Italian stores or the Mediterranean Bar at Wegmans. Now I'm really wanting this dish! With a glass of Prosecco 💚🥂

• Like 3
On 10/30/2022 at 9:24 PM, chitowngirl said:

With CNN cutting back on original programming, I wonder if we’ll ever get the last of Italy’s regions?

Me too.  I read that this show is being put on the "back burner" as a result of the merger between Discovery and Warner.

https://www.avclub.com/cnn-cuts-back-on-original-programming-stanley-tucci-1849717187

This merger is killing some of my favorite shows.  I don't know what they think they're doing but I don't think it's a good thing.  Although the article mentions a sister series starting Eva Longoria scheduled to start next year entitled "Searching for Mexico".

I can't believe I never found this thread as I've been watching (and loving) this show from day one.

Stanley should shop it around elsewhere in my opinion.

• Love 5
On 11/3/2022 at 7:04 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Do you think PBS would be interested?  Maybe they couldn't pay enough to make it interesting for Stanley. There *must* be a broadcaster that would find his show interesting/watchable. 

I'm thinking some streaming network like Netflix or something similar might be interested.  I can hope, anyway.

• Like 2

I tend to doubt that there are many other regions that Stanley wants to cover, otherwise we wouldn't have see the couple of "twofer" episodes he did, like when he went to Friuli from Veneto (I think). If he wanted to do Friuli he would have left it out.

Of course, he could continue the show in a different format, not tied to a regional framework.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

So I checked and the regions he has not visited are Abruzzo, Molise, Marche, and Trentino- Alto Adige.

Friuli, Valle D’Aosta, and Basilicata got short segments in other episodes.

Abruzzo is the probably the best known of the remaining regions. Molise used to be a part of Abruzzo and is the newest region.  I could see Stanley popping over for a short segment much like he did for Friuli.

Honestly, even if CNN had not changed direction I wonder if they would have produced any other episodes.  Kind of surprised they did London instead of Abruzzo or Marche.

• Useful 2
8 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

So I checked and the regions he has not visited are Abruzzo, Molise, Marche, and Trentino- Alto Adige.

I was hoping he would go to Malta, which although technically is not a part of Italy has a history with it, especially with Sicily.  I'm half Sicilian and my DNA shows a smidge of Maltese, which is not uncommon for Sicilians.  It would have at least been more relevant than visiting London!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 10/20/2022 at 4:56 PM, CheshireCat said:

Since he's learned the language as a child, the language would return to him much quicker than that. He does seem to understand a lot and while many phrases seem to be simple ones, I would imagine that staying in Italy while filming is helping the language's return along.

I thought his Italian was better in season 1.  He seemed to speak less of it in S2 and it wasn't as good.  Maybe less preparation?

I never knew how much lamb they cook in Italy.

Some regions of Italy.  Regional differences were the whole point of the series! :-)  I'm from Trentino-Alto Adige.  I've never eaten lamb there.   And I knew he wouldn't end up getting to my beautiful homeland.

• Love 2

Is this show over? My DVR is set to record again on 11/25 and I can’t tell if it’s supposed to be a new episode or not. It looks like I have it set for new recordings only, but it could be user error. Lol. Thanks.

23 minutes ago, Eureka said:

Is this show over? My DVR is set to record again on 11/25 and I can’t tell if it’s supposed to be a new episode or not. It looks like I have it set for new recordings only, but it could be user error. Lol. Thanks.

Yes. It is over 😟.  If you enjoy Stanley, check out his recent book (published @2021). He's so funny!

8 hours ago, buttersister said:

I can easily go from watching one CNN show to none. Prego. 

Psst, Netflix, call Stanley. Then ask restauranteur of French heritage Robert DeNiro how the feels  about the provinces of France.

Actually even as Tucci's show is in limbo, in May CNN announced a new "Searching for Mexico" series starring Eva Longoria.  So it's not like they are against the general concept of this show.  They may just think ending this particular series might be best for their budget.

• Useful 1
17 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Oh, I could get behind a series of "Searching For....." built around native-born or 2nd-generation celebrities and cuisine! 

I think a "Searching For India," e.g., with all the varied areas as with Italy, would be very appealing! 

I remember a series featuring Eric Palen, one of the Minty Python folks, whose show, Around the World In ?? Days (was it 80 like that old movie?). Eric went to different countries, trying their varied cuisines. One scene took place in a restaurant in China where snake was served & there was a headless snake writhing on the tiled floor. Eric was brave. Then Bourdain created a similar series. 

• Mind Blown 1
17 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I remember a series featuring Eric Palen, one of the Minty Python folks, whose show, Around the World In ?? Days (was it 80 like that old movie?). ...

He may have played characters called Eric, but his name was Michael Palin. 😊

Another actor gets into travel, hosts a new travel show, Eugene Levy, The Reluctant Traveler, starts Feb 24 on Apple TV +.

https://deadline.com/2022/12/apple-tv-the-reluctant-traveler-premiere-date-eugene-levy-1235198104/

That's the hook, he's not suppose to be that much into travel -- find that hard to believe, with his money and all the work he's probably had to travel for over his long career.

I haven't watched Big Brunch which Dan Levy is involved in, because generally haven't watched any food/cooking show.  But a food-oriented travel show is obviously another matter.

I think this show sounds more promising.

1 hour ago, aghst said:

Another actor gets into travel, hosts a new travel show, Eugene Levy, The Reluctant Traveler, starts Feb 24 on Apple TV +.

https://deadline.com/2022/12/apple-tv-the-reluctant-traveler-premiere-date-eugene-levy-1235198104/

That's the hook, he's not suppose to be that much into travel -- find that hard to believe, with his money and all the work he's probably had to travel for over his long career.

I haven't watched Big Brunch which Dan Levy is involved in, because generally haven't watched any food/cooking show.  But a food-oriented travel show is obviously another matter.

I think this show sounds more promising.

Well, I guess I'm SOL 🥴 as I don't have Apple TV. Why isn't Food Network producing/airing shows like Stanley's? Oh, wait...FN is now the Guy Fieri Network. What a waste of airtime.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Well, I guess I'm SOL 🥴 as I don't have Apple TV. Why isn't Food Network producing/airing shows like Stanley's? Oh, wait...FN is now the Guy Fieri Network. What a waste of airtime.

The more time goes on the more shows I watch are being canceled due to this Warner/Discovery merger.  It's not like CNN has that much great programming to lose either.  I can't believe any of these head scratching decisions are ultimately good for either the networks or the audience.

• Love 2

Stanley Tucci was on with Jimmy Fallon last night. The opening part of this YT clip is where they're discussing Searching for Italy but Fallon kind of hijacks the discussion and makes it about him. (I'm  decidedly NOT a Fallon fan.) At about the 2:10 mark they start talking about a potential Season 3, which Stanley says he wants and has ideas for, but they're hoping to be picked up by a streamer or  another network. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 4

Yeah I think I read somewhere that some exec was complaining about the cost of some of the shows, in particular Searching for Italy, because it's owned by some other entity that CNN was paying through the nose.

Ratings would have to be great because in addition to all the travel costs, Stanley probably has high salary expectations.

On 12/13/2022 at 6:36 PM, annzeepark914 said:

FYI, if you have a Target account, you can get 3 months of AppleTV+ free until the end of Sept. 2023.

That's how I'm enjoying it so far.  We'll decide whether to keep it when the trial runs out. 

• Useful 1
12 hours ago, aghst said:

Yeah I think I read somewhere that some exec was complaining about the cost of some of the shows, in particular Searching for Italy, because it's owned by some other entity that CNN was paying through the nose.

Ratings would have to be great because in addition to all the travel costs, Stanley probably has high salary expectations.

I seem to recall something along the lines of it having been the most watched original content on CNN. Might have been S1 but it was very popular for a CNN show.

4 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

I seem to recall something along the lines of it having been the most watched original content on CNN. Might have been S1 but it was very popular for a CNN show.

I don't know why the cable networks don't see that in order to compete with the streaming networks they're going to have to spend a little more money.  Otherwise they're just sending more shows to those networks, which I can't imagine would be good for them.

• Love 2

But when CNN was first created, wasn't it supposed to be 24 hour news?  I thought that was Ted Turner's vision. I believe that if something *big* happened, CNN would cover it no matter what entertaining show was on. There certainly is plenty of news each day to cover.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

But when CNN was first created, wasn't it supposed to be 24 hour news?  I thought that was Ted Turner's vision. I believe that if something *big* happened, CNN would cover it no matter what entertaining show was on. There certainly is plenty of news each day to cover.

I think though that CNN found out that people don’t want to watch news 24/7, so they diversified into other things like this series. The problem is that series are expensive and can be hit or miss with the viewing audience. So now after a management change, they’ve decided to go in a different direction.

• Useful 1
46 minutes ago, Rickster said:

I think though that CNN found out that people don’t want to watch news 24/7, so they diversified into other things like this series. The problem is that series are expensive and can be hit or miss with the viewing audience. So now after a management change, they’ve decided to go in a different direction.

What direction?  A cheaper one?  Obviously not a different one, not completely anyway.  And this show was definitely a hit, not a miss.  According to this article in Variety from only a couple of days ago, the show Eva Longoria is going to do entitled "Searching for Mexico" was supposed to air only on CNN's streaming channel, CNN+ but is now going to be aired on regular CNN.  So it looks like we have to see this in terms of Eva's show taking Stanley's place, probably because it's not costing them as much.  So it's not even about what's a hit or a miss anymore with TV shows.  It's about how much is it worth in terms of money to make it.  And that's figured out based only partially on the size of the audience.  If they think it costs that much, it'll get canceled even if it is a hit.

Edited by Yeah No

Canceled 😒 https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/cnn-cancels-stanley-tucci-searching-for-italy-1235282821/

Stanley could be involved if the show is shopped elsewhere

1 minute ago, Yeah No said:

What direction?  A cheaper one?  Obviously not a different one, not completely anyway.  And this show was definitely a hit, not a miss.  According to this article in Variety from only a couple of days ago, the show Eva Longoria is going to do entitled "Searching for Mexico" was supposed to air only on CNN's streaming channel, CNN+ but is now going to be aired on regular CNN.  So it looks like we have to see this in terms of Eva's show taking Stanley's place, probably because she's not costing them as much.

Yes, it seems their direction is for cheaper programming because earlier articles indicated outside production companies' costs are rising and they are looking at doing as much in-house as possible to save on costs. Remember also that the Discovery-Warner merger is costing a lot of money and they are even pulling shows from HBO Max to save on residuals and to shop the shows elsewhere. So penny-pitching on costs seems to be the in thing right now for CNN's owners

Edited by DanaK
  • Like 2
  • Sad 4

I am not surprised. He visited all of the big cities and well known destinations in the first 2 seasons.  What was left were smaller, less populated regions, with the possible exception of Abruzzo.  

I am disappointed because I had hoped to see him visit Molise, where my husband was born.  Hopefully some other streaming channel picks it up.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

I am not surprised. He visited all of the big cities and well known destinations in the first 2 seasons.  What was left were smaller, less populated regions, with the possible exception of Abruzzo.  

I am disappointed because I had hoped to see him visit Molise, where my husband was born.  Hopefully some other streaming channel picks it up.

Within each region, he could go to so many other places.

Like Tuscany, he can go to a number of scenic hill towns.

It's hard to fit one region into an hour of TV so they pick places but not sure it's always representative of the place.  Like in Piedmont, he went to that place which specialized in risotto and served it in cans.  Well that's a very specific restaurant and I don't recall but I think it was a small town, relatively out of the way.

I think he went to Turin in that episode but maybe not Aosta.

• Like 3

Not that I have much hope for this but wouldn't it be nice if Food Network picked up the series for a 3rd season?  Stanley told Jimmy Fallon that he has plans to do a season 3 or beyond if possible so I'm sure he's been looking for a home for it.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
9 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Not that I have much hope for this but wouldn't it be nice if Food Network picked up the series for a 3rd season?  Stanley told Jimmy Fallon that he has plans to do a season 3 or beyond if possible so I'm sure he's been looking for a home for it.  

That would be great.

• Like 2

CNN canceled because the production company that he owns wants too much.

Maybe Apple TV + but they’re about to do their own travel show, The Reluctant Traveler, with Eugene Levy.  But that show isn’t food-centric.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, aghst said:

CNN canceled because the production company that he owns wants too much.

Maybe Apple TV + but they’re about to do their own travel show, The Reluctant Traveler, with Eugene Levy.  But that show isn’t food-centric.

I’m not sure whether his production company wanted more money than in the past, or whether it was a case of CNN costcutting and dumping expensive non news shows. I thought it was more the latter. 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Rickster said:

I’m not sure whether his production company wanted more money than in the past, or whether it was a case of CNN costcutting and dumping expensive non news shows. I thought it was more the latter. 

could be both.  Searching for Mexico is coming to CNN and stanley is a producer.

• Useful 3
9 hours ago, aghst said:

could be both.  Searching for Mexico is coming to CNN and stanley is a producer.

CNN must have said to him, "We can't afford you, but we can afford Eva Longoria".   I think Stanley must have had a good idea that some other network would be willing to pay his price or he wouldn't have told Jimmy Fallon he was definitely planning on doing more seasons even after the cancellation.   He probably can't talk about it yet while he's negotiating.  Fingers crossed!

• Like 4

Or Stanley set a high price because he thinks he could get TV and movie roles which pay more, so he's not doing the show unless he gets paid like he would doing feature films.

1 hour ago, aghst said:

Or Stanley set a high price because he thinks he could get TV and movie roles which pay more, so he's not doing the show unless he gets paid like he would doing feature films.

If that's the case, then none of us will be able to afford his programming.

• Like 3