Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 2/8/2021

falltime
  • Start Topic

WTH is on MeAgain's head today ? Doesn't she have a mirror at home ?

BTW, so glad they remembered Mary Wilson today, one of the co-founders of The Supremes.

So far, it seems the only celebs who passed away the past few weeks and are worth mentioning is Cesiley Tyson and Mary Wilson. Hmmmmm.....

Edited by LetsStartTalking
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, Vanderboom said:

I found it interesting that Joy made parallels to Princess Diana; I don't think Diana was sexualized the way Britney was. In fact, I was thinking more about Monica Lewinsky, and Joy was making blowjob and Lewinsky jokes even after Jay Leno had moved on.

I think her point was that Diana was targeted more than Charles by the tabloid and press even though they both did questionable things during their time together. 

I haven’t watched the documentary yet but not surprised the panel didn’t bring up Diane Sawyer in their discussion who the #freebritney people are currently going after.  I do feel bad for Britney and her kids and I hope one day she gets some sense of freedom back in her life.

• Love 10

When Missy uses the word "ramifications", I always think she means "repercussions" ... what do you think?

"Ramification - the impact of what has been said or done; the true result of an action or the true meaning of a statement; often these are deeper and more complex than first thought. There is no positive or negative tone inherent in the word ramification.

Repercussion - when contrasted to ramification, this means the negative consequences resulting from an action or statement. The person that is hearing the statement or receiving the action does not agree with or like it and as a result "pushes back", meaning they take some opposing action.

So, ramifications can be positive or negative. Usually if they are negative, they will cause repercussions since someone who is negatively impacted will try to do something to change the action. "The company announced that it was firing 10% of its workforce. Management clearly did not fully understand the ramifications of this decision since repercussions were immediately evident. All of the workers went on strike the very next day,"

• Useful 4
  • Love 10

If Whoopie was any less interested in being there, she'd be in a coma.  "Thank you Priyanka Chopra Jones."

Also, Meghan?  Tomorrow is the 14th anniversary of my father's death and I still wouldn't want to go on national tv and be asked about it. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

I found it interesting that Joy made parallels to Princess Diana; I don't think Diana was sexualized the way Britney was. In fact, I was thinking more about Monica Lewinsky, and Joy was making blowjob and Lewinsky jokes even after Jay Leno had moved on.

I think she compared her to Diana because Britney and Diana were both these extremely likable, beautiful, blonde, and blue-eyed women who were obsessed over from all corners--by their fans, their haters, the media, etc.--and ended up being victims in some sense because of all that obsession. Whereas Monica's only claim to fame *was* sex and adultery. Not quite the same to me, but to each their own.

On another note, Priyanka was a lovely guest even though nothing of importance was said.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
I called her Diane, lol.
  • Love 10

About yesterday’s show, I thought Joy made the best comments, on how corporate America is bringing about the most consequences to the Trump crowd. It felt like a filler show, actually. I think it’s because so many of the topics they decided to focus on they’ve already talked to death several times over.

It seems like every Monday, McCain’s comments revolve around Ana’s presence the Friday prior, lol. She is creepily obsessed with Ana--and Joy, too. Whether they’re talking about the producer leaving the show like on yesterday’s show or Larry King a couple of weeks ago, she wants us to know that she (McCain, daughter-of, been "in the business" for all of 5 minutes) knew the person much better than Joy will ever know them!!! *gulp* *nose twitching* *sniffsniff* Yeah, sure. She really needs to borrow one of her daughter’s pacifiers already.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 18
55 minutes ago, LetsStartTalking said:

BTW, so glad they remembered Mary Wilson today, one of the co-founders of The Supremes.

So far, it seems the only celebs who passed away the past few weeks and are worth mentioning is Cesiley Tyson and Mary Wilson. Hmmmmm.....

Mary Wilson and the Supremes were honored as part of the Black History segment, and was a personal friend of Whoopi.  Whoopi generally is the person who does the in memoriam segments and has done them for years honoring a pretty wide variety of people.   But as always, not everyone of note that passes will get mentioned.   

57 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

When Missy uses the word "ramifications", I always think she means "repercussions" ... what do you think?

"Ramification - the impact of what has been said or done; the true result of an action or the true meaning of a statement; often these are deeper and more complex than first thought. There is no positive or negative tone inherent in the word ramification.

Agreed.  The use of ramification by her today seemed incorrect.  She has a talent for using words awkwardly.  Technically correct, but contextually not.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, After7Only said:

She has a talent for using words awkwardly.

Meghan reminds me a lot of Queen Victoria from the current season of The Bachelor. Very interesting vocabulary choices between both of them 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

No mention of Fran Lebowitz's appearance?

It was pretty blah, I thought. Whoopi started off with a really stupid question and it kind of went from there. They seemed to take a beat too long to recognize when she was making a joke.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Fran was on last and most of the questions/comments were lame and longer than her responses.  Whoopi awkwardly asked how a person who does not have a cellphone or computer got on TV (F: in the studio), whether she's been eating out at restaurants (I'm surprised Whoops didn't ask if Fran was out hugging people) and what Fran thought about the impeachment (F: the process has to be done but the Reps will vote against it, finished off with an "obviously" hand motion).  Joy mentioned the Netflix documentary on NYC Fran is in - and presumably that is why she was there on the View, to promote it - but made it all about how nice it must have been to have Scorsese laugh at everything she said and no mention of Covid because it was shot pre-Covid). 

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

On another note, Priyanka was a lovely guest even though nothing of importance was said.

She is a mediocre actress at best. Like I said in another forum, the only thing I love about her is her hair. I covet her hair, because mine used to be like that pre-cancer/chemo.

And no, Sunny, she wasn't a huge Bollywood Star. Just one of many, interchangeable ones. And she's done something to her lips because whenever she smiles or laughs, her upper lip touches her nose!

I will say this and agree that in India, there is more often than not, a huge family support system, so what she said about having that and avoiding what happened with Britney felt true. But she had to go and say one must "swim in grief" or whatever she said, because you know, Twatty's only question had to be about herself as she also had a parent who died from cancer. Seriously, there isn't just one way to grieve. It's personal and depends on the person and the relationship. 

And Shut up, Twatty. Like you followed Britney and was sooooo concerned about her. Even with this subject motormouthing it without taking a breath. And why pull Janet Jackson into this? Janet was already sexualized before Justin tore off her blouse in the 2004 Super Bowl. And she has nothing to do with his dickish/assholishness when it comes to Britney.

I LOOOOOOOVED Fran's response to Twatty that New York is NOT in Decline! And yes, while it was more dangerous in the 70s (I'll take her word for it, my favorite recurring judge on Mothership Law & Order), I lived there when I was wee, which was in the 70s and I had a great childhood there and then. She just loves to say this is "in decline" or that is "fractured" and blame it on De Blasio for...reasons. Again, I wish her sour puss of a face was on the screen to see her reaction at getting schooled.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
1 minute ago, heysmilinstrange said:

They seemed to take a beat too long to recognize when she was making a joke.

That's what happens when the guest is way wittier than the panelists.  Primetimer is the extent of my social media platforrms, but I would join Twitter in a minute if Fran was on it.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I LOOOOOOOVED Fran's response to Twatty that New York is NOT in Decline! And yes, while it was more dangerous in the 70s (I'll take her word for it, my favorite recurring judge on Mothership Law & Order), I lived there when I was wee, which was in the 70s and I had a great childhood there and then. She just loves to say this is "in decline" or that is "fractured" and blame it on De Blasio for...reasons. Again, I wish her sour puss of a face was on the screen to see her reaction at getting schooled.

Oh thank you, something to look forward to when I get home!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Axie said:

Also, Meghan?  Tomorrow is the 14th anniversary of my father's death and I still wouldn't want to go on national tv and be asked about it. 

Indeed.  Normal people know to not bring it up, but to quietly listen if the bereaved person brings it up first.   But MeMeMeAgain wanted to talk about MyFather, not Priyanka's father's death (8 years ago).  But what else could Meggie ask her about - how did you get those lips?

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

She is a mediocre actress at best. Like I said in another forum, the only thing I love about her is her hair. I covet her hair, because mine used to be like that pre-cancer/chemo.

I think she seems nicer as a person than she is a talented actress. I don't know, I think she's okay as an actress though, not a great one or anything, but serviceable.

I don't know Lebowitz that well, tbh. I thought at first she was offended when Joy made fun of Scorsese laughing at everything she'd say (I think they talked about that on the show in the past), but then Lebowitz made a joke about him laughing when she'd hand him a cup of coffee.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

She was, as usual, fabulous.  I luuuuv her!!!

I like Fran too, but she wasn't given much to work with on The View.  She needs a smarter panel to work off of; she's been great on Bill Maher's shows and on Letterman.  I'll have to watch the documentary. 

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, After7Only said:

Agreed.  The use of ramification by her today seemed incorrect.  She has a talent for using words awkwardly.  Technically correct, but contextually not. 

I had a boss that wrote a letter to an employee (that had taken company property without permission), telling him he must make retribution.  My boss didn't know the difference between restitution & retribution.  I had a hard time not laughing in his face ... just sayin'!!!

Edited by Medicine Crow
different is not difference
  • LOL 7
  • Love 3

Regarding Whoopi and Mary Wilson, the trio in Sister Act reminded me of the Supremes, and there's a line of dialogue about Diana Ross. If you google, you'll see Whoopi wrote the foreword to Mary's book, and Mary was on The View for Whoopi's birthday. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 7
30 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Well thank goodness I watched it anyway. It was neither boring nor dull. Fran was divine, Whoopi was a hot mess, and Meghan got schooled

Priyanka Jones wasn’t bad either.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Well thank goodness I watched it anyway. It was neither boring nor dull. Fran was divine, Whoopi was a hot mess, and Meghan got schooled

I decided to tune into her Netflix documentary last night. I got through 2 episodes and that was enough for me. Liebowitz is witty, but she's  not funny (and there's a difference). To see Martin Scorcesse belly laugh at every response she gave was torture. Together they proved that he's not an interviewer by any means, and she's not the most interesting guest to be interviewed. I think that also carried over to her appearance on 'The View'.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, LetsStartTalking said:

I decided to tune into her Netflix documentary last night. I got through 2 episodes and that was enough for me. Liebowitz is witty, but she's  not funny (and there's a difference). To see Martin Scorcesse belly laugh at every response she gave was torture. Together they proved that he's not an interviewer by any means, and she's not the most interesting guest to be interviewed. I think that also carried over to her appearance on 'The View'.

Different strokes!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, LetsStartTalking said:

Different strokes indeed! I had to turn this off at a certain hour in fear of waking my neighbors with my laughter. I can't recommend it enough, I wish there were more episodes. I wish she'd gotten a longer segment on the show yesterday too

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

And Of Course, she grew up at the Capitol!

And watching the trial is making her revisit her trauma.

ETA:  Which isn't to say that this isn't traumatic for people to watch, but she is just always so over-the-top extra about everything.  And also, that phrase gets over-used so much that it gets diluted in its meaning.

Edited by Cementhead
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8

11:00am is like Christmas morning for me  every day now ...... what kind of crazy is she bringing today? I think she's punking us now.  She has to be, no?

HA......... HE was incoherent?   Says the most incoherent host on this show ever.

• LOL 11
  • Love 1

Oh Good Grief!  Now, MeAgain is complaining that all the Republicans are going to be rounded up & then something about the "Bolsheviks"...what the heck is she talking about?!  Although, I did enjoy her reference to the lawyers being from an Adam Sandler movie 🙂

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And no, Sunny, she wasn't a huge Bollywood Star. Just one of many, interchangeable ones. And she's done something to her lips because whenever she smiles or laughs, her upper lip touches her nose!

I will say this and agree that in India, there is more often than not, a huge family support system, so what she said about having that and avoiding what happened with Britney felt true. But she had to go and say one must "swim in grief" or whatever she said, because you know, Twatty's only question had to be about herself as she also had a parent who died from cancer. Seriously, there isn't just one way to grieve. It's personal and depends on the person and the relationship. 

And Shut up, Twatty. Like you followed Britney and was sooooo concerned about her. Even with this subject motormouthing it without taking a breath. And why pull Janet Jackson into this? Janet was already sexualized before Justin tore off her blouse in the 2004 Super Bowl. And she has nothing to do with his dickish/assholishness when it comes to Britney.

My husband and I met in NYC in 1973 when we both moved there after law school and lived there for a couple of years.  I would agree with you that I'm sure there was crime but we didn't really notice it or feel unsafe walking around.  Wouldn't go into Central Park late night, but wouldn't do that now either.  And it's definitely not in decline--was there over a year ago.  Don't know where MM's been if that's what she thinks.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Oh Good Grief!  Now, MeAgain is complaining that all the Republicans are going to be rounded up & then something about the "Bolsheviks"...what the heck is she talking about?! 

She's playing to the paranoid "they're coming to take our guns" crowd who genuinely believe that if the Dems are in power they will actually go there.  The reality that nothing even remotely like that happened during the Clinton and Obama administrations is meaningless to people like her.  

• Love 21
2 minutes ago, Rainyhawk said:

My husband and I met in NYC in 1973 when we both moved there after law school and lived there for a couple of years.  I would agree with you that I'm sure there was crime but we didn't really notice it or feel unsafe walking around.  Wouldn't go into Central Park late night, but wouldn't do that now either.  And it's definitely not in decline--was there over a year ago.  Don't know where MM's been if that's what she thinks.

Meghan’s been in Virginia pretending she’s been in NYC.

• LOL 10
  • Love 9

J Lo and A Rod talk now?  This is like watching what I just read on the Daily Mail 10 minutes ago.  Time well spent, ladies!  YAWN.

Also, sometimes we have to face cold hard truths about ourselves and Meghan needs to face the cold hard truth that blazers are not her friend. 

Edited by Cementhead
  • LOL 7
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Oh Good Grief!  Now, MeAgain is complaining that all the Republicans are going to be rounded up & then something about the "Bolsheviks"...what the heck is she talking about?! 

Just now, WinnieWinkle said:

She's playing to the paranoid "they're coming to take our guns" crowd who genuinely believe that if the Dems are in power they will actually go there.  The reality that nothing even remotely like that happened during the Clinton and Obama administrations is meaningless to people like her.  

Yep her and and her tribe only have fear tactics to work with.   And scary thing is they work on a significant percentage of people in this country.

• Love 10