Type keyword(s) to search

Easter Eggs: (Scarlet) Witch Ones Did You Find?

arc
  • Start Topic

ep 5: "Sit, Sparky, Sit! Good dog" - straight from the Ubu Productions title card that closed out Family Ties and other Ubu shows.

ep 5: (arguable) Jimmy Woo saying Wanda & Vision would be "empty nesters by dinner time" possibly refers to the 80s/90s sitcom "Empty Nest", which was a spinoff of Golden Girls. Or not.

ep 5: Vision's newspaper has a mini-headline at the top of the page: "More Dramatic Details About The Lights In The Sky Above Westview"

general: I saw this in a comment on another site, but if you wrote out "Westview" as "WestView", then you would have another "W + V". … that's probably not why Wanda chose the town, so just a possible easter egg in the name.

Edited by arc
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

The neighbour/character with the high libido is a reference to several sitcoms, but most obviously Mona from Who is the boss. And the neighbour who randomly turns up with whatever is needed (or brings trouble) is also a typical 1980s sitcom trope.

• Love 1
(edited)

In this screen cap from ep 5 that I got off twitter, a young Vision stands in front of a blackboard with multiple equations. The one he's working on seems to say phi equals V over VCR times t.

IMG_20210205_054558.jpg

and via The Ringer:

* Billy and Tommy’s dog, Sparky, who dies the same day he’s brought into the family, also shares the name of the dog that Vision’s family of synthezoids has in Tom King’s The Vision. […]

* Billy and Tommy, who grow up to be superheroes in the comics named Wiccan and Speed, respectively, wear shirts with color schemes that match the costumes they don in the comics.

Edited by arc
  • Love 1

The Full House reference was a blink and you'll miss it thing.

In the sitcom credits of the 80s episode there are two tracking shots over grass.

They're meant to represent that exact type of shot in the Full House credits.

The rest of the credits, with the painting, was so transparently Family Ties, so overt, we can't even rightly label it an Easter Egg.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Kromm said:

The rest of the credits, with the painting, was so transparently Family Ties, so overt, we can't even rightly label it an Easter Egg.

The beginning and end were straight out of Family Ties. The pictures showing each character growing up was Growing Pains. With a little bit of Full House sandwiched in the middle. 

The stage magician names of "Glamor" and "Illusion" that Vision and Wanda used in Ep. 3 were names of neighbor characters from a Vision and Scarlet Witch miniseries in the 90's, I think.  They were a married couple who used the cover of being stage magicians to hide their powers, which they used to commit thefts. I do not remember what ultimately happened to those characters, but they were not major Marvel Universe characters.

ETA:

Er4UcBMXMAANh9Z.jpg

Edited by Fukui San
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, calliope1975 said:

Bringing this over (saw it on Twitter first.) Interesting movie choice. 

oz.jpg

That came out in 2013, not in the 70's or 80's.

On 2/5/2021 at 8:48 AM, arc said:

The one he's working on seems to say phi equals V over VCR times t.

It looks like it says VCRit, similar to how we now say I am going to DVR it.

On 2/6/2021 at 6:27 PM, calliope1975 said:

Bringing this over (saw it on Twitter first.) Interesting movie choice. 

oz.jpg

Directed by Sam Raimi, who is directing next year's Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, which features Wanda Maximoff.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

ep 6: Tommy saying "Kick Ass!" and Wanda repeating it is a cute nod to Aaron Taylor-Johnson's (Pietro) other major comic book role as Kick-Ass. Even though he's not in this episode and Pietro's other actor from the other major marvel-related cinematic universe is. Edit: wow, I did not know this till reading it on another forum, but Evan Peters was the best friend in Kick-Ass. 🤯

Kat Dennings was arguably the "sassy best friend" in 2 Broke Girls, BTW.

Edited by arc
6 hours ago, arc said:

Edit: wow, I did not know this till reading it on another forum, but Evan Peters was the best friend in Kick-Ass. 

Who was also recast in the sequel.

I know there have been mentions of Kat Dennings in 2 Broke Girls, but my first exposure to her was Raising Dad where she played Brie Larson's older sister (and Bob Saget was the dad!)

I don't know if it's an Easter Egg, but Pietro is wearing cutoff shorts over his tights, which could be an Arrested Development never nude-reference. The Russo brothers, of course, being tight with that show. That's an early-00s sitcom though, but still falls within the single camera genre.

24 minutes ago, swanpride said:

So, the intro this week...was that Alf? But what was the music referencing?

100% Malcolm in the Middle

Edited by absnow54
  • Love 2

100% NOT Malcolm in the middle. Everything we see in the Intro is 100% Alf, from someone walking through the house with a camera, disturbing Kate/Wanda in the bath, disturbing Willie/Vision who complains, walking into the kitchen up, disturbing someone at the fridge up to the family shot in the end. The problem is everything we HEAR because that doesn't sound like Alf at all, which had, like most shows during that time, and instrumental intro (but you certainly could just put the Alf music over the visuals of the WandaVision intro). The music could be considered vaguely Malcolm in the middle in combination with the start of someone talking directly to the audience. But we aren't in the early 2000th yet, plus, that wasn't the only show which did the "kid talking to the audience as introduction" thing. Hence I keep trying to remember if there is a show from that period which did something along the line.

Here a reminder what the Alf intro LOOKED like. The WandaVision is just a speed up and slightly adjusted version of it.

Edited by swanpride
  • LOL 1
22 minutes ago, swanpride said:

The music could be considered vaguely Malcolm in the middle in combination with the start of someone talking directly to the audience. But we aren't in the early 2000th yet, plus, that wasn't the only show which did the "kid talking to the audience as introduction" thing. Hence I keep trying to remember if there is a show from that period which did something along the line.

This episode seemed to dip more into the early-00's single camera comedies than 90's era sitcoms for this episode. I guess Zach Morris is a kid who talks to the camera, but this definitely was not a Saved by the Bell episode. There has to be some Disney/Nikelodeon era kid shows it was emulating too. Maybe Even Stevens or Lizzie McGuire? Still, those were early-00s shows.

I'm guessing they're going to link their 2000's episode to the mockumentary genre, even though that pushed more into the 2010's, but maybe 2010's will be some sort of reboot or period family sitcom like Fresh Off the Boat or the Goldbergs.

I also got Malcom in the Middle from the 1) Theme song, 2) the font of the opening credits, 3) Elements of the imagery from the opening credits, and 4) kid addressing the audience.  Also, Agnes's Juicy Couture style track pants would be solidly 2001-2004

• Love 5
10 hours ago, paigow said:

Is the cinema double bill simply a meta anvil?

• The Incredibles [Super Powered Family]
  • The Parent Trap [Westview]

It's worth noting those movies, in reality, weren't released any time near each other. Even if we assume it's The Parent Trap remake. 

The Incredibles (2004)

The Parent Trap (1998)

Proving this isn't supposed to actually be any specific year. Just a time PERIOD. 

WRT The Parent Trap, what’s the message here? Billy and Tommy aren’t long-lost twins and their parents aren’t estranged. So maybe it’s about Wanda and Pietro. Except they’re orphans, as ep 6 specifically reminded us.

or is it just saying the people of Westview are trapped in Wanda’s fantasy life?

2 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Agnes's license plate was 0A1B2C.

I see “0-1-2” and “A-B-C”. Like Wanda gave out new license plate numbers when she rewrote reality and started with Agnes’s car.

btw, Agnes in a car is the first person driving (in the inner show/Westview) since W+V came to town in the series premiere. Agnes walked with Wanda to Dottie’s, and she rode a bike in the 1970s ep.

On 2/13/2021 at 7:11 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

The street at where Vision found Agnes was Ellis Avenue. Matthew Ellis was the president in Iron Man 3.

Okay, but it's more than that. It's a double Easter Egg. A key scene in the X-Men cinematic saga is set where? ELLIS ISLAND. And in the real world, in the year 2000, the film was premiered... on Ellis Island. 

https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/x-men-on-ellis-island?phrase=x men on ellis island&sort=mostpopular

• Useful 1
17 hours ago, Kromm said:

Okay, but it's more than that. It's a double Easter Egg. A key scene in the X-Men cinematic saga is set where? ELLIS ISLAND. And in the real world, in the year 2000, the film was premiered... on Ellis Island. 

How about this for an Ellis Island reference:

“...your huddled masses yearning to breathe free”

• Love 5
On 2/12/2021 at 11:20 AM, absnow54 said:

This episode seemed to dip more into the early-00's single camera comedies than 90's era sitcoms for this episode. I guess Zach Morris is a kid who talks to the camera, but this definitely was not a Saved by the Bell episode. There has to be some Disney/Nikelodeon era kid shows it was emulating too. Maybe Even Stevens or Lizzie McGuire? Still, those were early-00s shows.

I'm guessing they're going to link their 2000's episode to the mockumentary genre, even though that pushed more into the 2010's, but maybe 2010's will be some sort of reboot or period family sitcom like Fresh Off the Boat or the Goldbergs.

I think it was influenced by The Secret Life of Alex Mack which was on in the 90s - (Sister Sister starring the Mowry twins also did the talk to the camera thing....). Look at this description!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_World_of_Alex_Mack

Alex Mack is an ordinary teenage girl, living with her parents, George and Barbara, and older sister, Annie, in the town of Paradise Valley, Arizona. While walking home after her first day of junior high school, she is nearly hit by a truck from a chemical plant, and during the incident, she is accidentally drenched with a top secret chemical called GC-161. She soon discovers that it has given her strange powers, such as telekinesis, shooting electricity from her fingers, and the ability to dissolve into a mobile puddle of water. However, her powers prove to be unpredictable (such as when her skin starts glowing brightly when she is nervous). She confides only in Annie and her best friend Ray, choosing to keep her powers a secret from everyone else, including her parents, for fear of what the chemical plant CEO, Danielle Atron, will do to her if she finds out.

• Love 1

Ep 7: The mail/delivery guy’s t-shirt uniform said “Presto”. In the same ep where Agnes/Agatha called her and Wanda “magical girls”. Combined with the slight directorial over-emphasis on his character in previous episodes, it’s probably a hint he’s not just an extra on the show.

1 hour ago, arc said:

Ep 7: The mail/delivery guy’s t-shirt uniform said “Presto”. In the same ep where Agnes/Agatha called her and Wanda “magical girls”. Combined with the slight directorial over-emphasis on his character in previous episodes, it’s probably a hint he’s not just an extra on the show.

A real life easter egg for the USPS shrinking away...

In the actual Happy Endings title sequence, it's just the word "Happy" in various ways. In WandaVision's homage, it's "Wanda" multiple ways -- but one shot says "I know what u are doing Wanda".

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I am calling it: Darcy putting the hula figure on the dashboard was a deliberate Agents of the Shield reference. The Blue Soap, that one I put down as a coincidence, but the hula figure, that was way too random to not having been planned. Interesting all Agents of Shield references in the show refer to one specific arc, meaning the "Agents of Hydra" arc in which

Spoiler

The agents end up in the framework, an artificial alternative reality within some sort of computer simulation in which most of them don't remember their real live but only whatever person they are in the framework. And the framework itself was created under the influence of a magical book called the darkhold, which was one big reference to Dr. Strange.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, swanpride said:

I am calling it: Darcy putting the hula figure on the dashboard was a deliberate Agents of the Shield reference. The Blue Soap, that one I put down as a coincidence, but the hula figure, that was way too random to not having been planned. Interesting all Agents of Shield references in the show refer to one specific arc, meaning the "Agents of Hydra" arc in which

Reveal spoiler

The agents end up in the framework, an artificial alternative reality within some sort of computer simulation in which most of them don't remember their real live but only whatever person they are in the framework. And the framework itself was created under the influence of a magical book called the darkhold, which was one big reference to Dr. Strange.

Isn't the Hula figure, aside from any specific appearance, ALWAYS associated with Coulson anyway, because of the whole Tahiti thing? 

• Love 1

WandaVision Featured A Stan Lee Reference That Fans May Have Missed
LAURA HURLEY    FEB. 19. 2021
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2563177/wandavision-featured-a-stan-lee-reference-that-fans-may-have-missed

f4a182b60e4cb69a13d886260c18309c56c8d8af 

That's not just a random string of numbers on the WANDA license plate, and not just because it seems that nothing is really random on WandaVision even if the explanation turns out to be wild. "122822" can be broken down to "12/28/22," or December 28, 1922. Those numbers reference back to Stan Lee's birthday. The Marvel Comics writer and editor was 95 years old at the time of his death in 2018. Members of the Marvel family have taken the time to remember him since he passed away, and now WandaVision honored Lee with an Easter egg.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Isn't the Hula figure, aside from any specific appearance, ALWAYS associated with Coulson anyway, because of the whole Tahiti thing?

Daisy had an actual hula figure, which kind of symbolized her relationship with her father, but it also symbolises her relationship to Coulson because when Coulson

Spoiler

was trapped in the framework, the hula figure was one of the things he collected in his attempts to figure out why everything felt so wrong to me. And I think Jemma tried to use a hula figure to snap him out of it

• Love 2

Easter Eggs and goofs, ep 8:

• in Olek's (Oleg's?) suitcase of DVDs, he's got Who's The Boss?. A shame they couldn't fit that one into the 1980s show homages. Also The Addams Family and I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched.
  • He also had Malcolm in the Middle, even though he and Irina died in 1999 and this first season DVD set of MitM was first released in 2002.
  • while we're at it, it looks like the complete Dick Van Dyke box set was first released in 2005.
  • the referenced Dick Van Dyke episode summary from IMDb: "Rob enjoys a scary televised sci-fi movie while Laura cowers in fear from it, but the next day details of that movie, where Earthlings are being taken over, appear to be coming true." Feels portentous.
  • the Brady Bunch episode she was watching while at Hydra involved little Cindy acting as if her baby doll was a real baby. This may also tie in with how real or not Billy and Tommy are.
  • The MitM episode summary from IMDb: "Having forgotten to pay the bill for the family's health insurance, Hal tries to protect the boys from all accidents for the weekend; meanwhile, Lois accidentally gets Craig into trouble with their co-workers."
  • that vision Wanda saw when she was touched by the Mind Stone was probably her. And notably it had her comics-style headdress in silhouette. (meanwhile, Agatha's own mother manifested a magic headdress of a slightly different shape when emitting full power.)
  • when Wanda reshaped Westview into a 1950s sitcom version of itself, the movie theater went from showing "Tannhauser Gate" (I think not a real movie, but a Blade Runner reference?) to "Big Red" and "Kidnapped", both rather apropos to a city suddenly held hostage to Wanda's whims.
Edited by arc
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

What did the Victoria's Corona ad in the movie theater relate to?

It could be the obvious if the mid/post credits were filmed after the rest of the series. 

3 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

What did the Victoria's Corona ad in the movie theater relate to?

It said "Westview's Coronet". Which is simply the name of the theater, as seen in the previous shot when Monica was walking up to it, and also at various times elsewhere in the series.

• Love 1

This feels kinda trite to say, given the weight of the scene where Vision says goodbye to Wanda, but in an episode called "Series Finale" for a series paying homage to classic sitcoms it is extremely apropos that Wanda turns off the lights as things come to a close.

• Love 1