Type keyword(s) to search

S46.E11: Dan Levy / Phoebe Bridgers

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, vb68 said:

I think Cecily loves that type of sketch. It's right up her alley. That's the main reason there are so many with her specifically.  

I agree and I like Cecily, but I don't think these meet the standard of a recurring sketch.

11 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Looks like I'm in the minority, but I thought this was a great episode. Dan Levy never seems to do anything half-way, and he gave his all, as expected. I LOLed at the tour guide sketch several times. The inability of Dan's guide in-training to stop himself from saying one inappropriate thing after another was hilarious! The way the bar sketch evolved into a dance number was reminiscent of the numbers that have become a staple of the John Mulaney episodes. Lots of positive energy, and a fun episode all-around. 

Same here. I enjoyed the episode. Although it seemed Dan wasn’t used enough. Or maybe I just missed his energy when he wasn’t on the screen. And he has nice legs! 

• Love 1

All due respect and admiration, Kate shouldn't play Dr. Fauci any more  He's been set free to media lately and seems to have Brad Pitt level of hotness to me. 

I admire and am so jealous people of who can really sing, so I just loved the "forgotten song" skit.

Head writers/weekend update anchors Colin and michael are writing this show.

• Love 2
On 2/7/2021 at 1:23 AM, SHD said:

Was anyone else afraid that Phoebe’s sparking guitar or monitor was going to start a fire?

I was worried more that Phoebe and band were about to lose their SAG minimum fee for being on the show (I forgot how much musicians get paid exactly for appearing), to pay for the monitor.

There was absolutely no chance she was ganna break that guitar, it's something reasonably difficult to do. Hard woods, solid construction with screws and a metal rod through the center of the neck means a lengthy task. Anything knocked out of wack can be fixed by any decent luthier...

3 hours ago, wmdekooning said:

I was worried more that Phoebe and band were about to lose their SAG minimum fee for being on the show (I forgot how much musicians get paid exactly for appearing), to pay for the monitor.

There was absolutely no chance she was ganna break that guitar, it's something reasonably difficult to do. Hard woods, solid construction with screws and a metal rod through the center of the neck means a lengthy task. Anything knocked out of wack can be fixed by any decent luthier...

Did she know it would never crack up?  I wonder if this is the first time she attempted to break a guitar.  She looked really stupid trying so hard to break it.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

Levy's monologue bombed.

But Weekend Update was great.

Really? I rather enjoyed his monologue. Dan was comfortable and energetic on stage while still being the tiniest bit nervous in this new environment, which I found lovely. Not every joke in the monologue landed, but not even Chris Rock or Eddie Murphy land every single joke when they're hosting or MC-ing something. 

19 hours ago, possibilities said:

This is the actual guys the WU sketch about songs they'd never heard was based on. In case anyone wasn't aware of them before:

I liked that segment. I've watched those twins on YouTube, and they're adorable. But I agree with the premise of WU that it's hard to believe they've never listened to any of the songs they "discover" on their channel. I don't know their family situation, but I have sons that age, and even in the time of cell phones and Air pods, my kids are still forced to listen to my music sometimes.  So they know my '80s music--and even older. Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan, The Doobie Brothers, etc. Heck, Phil Collins and Genesis are considered honorary R&B artists. They got lots of air play in black households--they probably still do. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, topanga said:

I liked that segment. I've watched those twins on YouTube, and they're adorable. But I agree with the premise of WU that it's hard to believe they've never listened to any of the songs they "discover" on their channel. I don't know their family situation, but I have sons that age, and even in the time of cell phones and Air pods, my kids are still forced to listen to my music sometimes.  So they know my '80s music--and even older. Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan, The Doobie Brothers, etc. Heck, Phil Collins and Genesis are considered honorary R&B artists. They got lots of air play in black households--they probably still do. 

There is a backstory for why they haven't heard popular artists before now.  I've read some of their interviews that mention this.  When I saw that they didn't even know "We Belong Together" by Mariah Carey, a song FROM 2005, that's when I learned this.

The brothers, who say they were raised primarily on gospel and Christian rap music, have reacted to a wide range of music, including rock, country, opera, rhythm and blues and Japanese[which?] music.[9]. - Wikipedia

“Growing up, we only listened to gospel and rap. Everything else was new to me. So I began listening to it,” Tim said. - Chicago Tribue

The brothers have explained that music was an escape during a difficult period when family members struggled with drug addiction and their mother served time in prison. Fred sang in a choir and plays drums in a gospel church. “All I knew was music,” Fred says, adding that playing drums enabled him to fully appreciate the Collins beat-drop.

“I play drums so I know how hard it is. It’s a hard job.”

But they’re less likely to be drawn to current hits, including the outrageous Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion monster hit WAP. “We’re more into promoting positivity. We don’t normally listen to stuff like that. It’s a crazy song. I just know that everyone is talking about it.”

- The Guardian

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 5
  • Love 3
On 2/6/2021 at 11:23 PM, SHD said:

Dan Levy A+

Material B- or C+

How did that wedding sketch make it to air?

Was anyone else afraid that Phoebe’s sparking guitar or monitor was going to start a fire?

I'm relatively sure the foldback monitor sparking was a pre-planned pyro effect, which means the guitar smash bit wasn't as spontaneous as it may have appeared.

Edited by kib
On 2/7/2021 at 2:13 AM, Arkay said:

I know a lot of hosts refuse to do a sketch based on their most famous work, I guess because they want to show their range, or not be typecast or something. But I was hoping they'd do a Schitt's Creek skit anyway.

It seemed like Kate was trying to hold back from going Full Alexis in that wedding sketch.

But kudos to the costuming people for getting Ego from jeans and a t-shirt in the football song sketch into a wedding dress over the course of a commercial break.

On 2/7/2021 at 4:05 PM, ahisma said:

That’s ridiculous. People have been making the joke for about Zillow-has-replaced-sex for years—it certainly didn’t originate with him. (I find this to be true of most “SNL stole my sketch” accusations.)

Yes. Someone else also claimed SNL stole the bit from them (another standup), and College Humor did a less sexual variation on this joke in 2016. A lot of people in comedy tend to hate SNL (and I can understand why), so this is a quick and fast way to get publicity. Unfortunately it also dilutes cases where I think the argument is more valid (like the clown short in Louis CK's last episode). 

On 2/8/2021 at 9:23 PM, kib said:

I'm relatively sure the foldback monitor sparking was a pre-planned pyro effect, which means the guitar smash bit wasn't as spontaneous as it may have appeared.

Bridgers said a few days later that it was pre-planned. (she said in another interview that the guitar-makers had told her it wouldn't be easy to break). 

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/9524900/phoebe-bridgers-snl-guitar-smash-marilyn-manson-abuse-allegations

This became a whole issue of discourse for days. For some reason SNL tends to lead to this type of scrutiny with musical guests...

On 2/7/2021 at 6:04 PM, possibilities said:

This is the actual guys the WU sketch about songs they'd never heard was based on. In case anyone wasn't aware of them before:

And here they are reacting to SNL:

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 2/7/2021 at 12:15 AM, Arkay said:

Twins the New Trend was dead on and cracked me up. I liked those twins IRL when they started, but after awhile it did get ridiculous. Che and Jost had a lot of good moments.

Liked the Zillow ad, usually love Dan Levy and admired his energy, but overall I didn't really find much that made me laugh tonight. I would've liked the Super Bowl friends hanging out, but that theme of people actually breaking all the rules is too played out by now. 

Maybe, The Monologue And The Wedding Was Awkward ! ! I Thought The Cold Opening And I Thought The Disney Tour Was Funny ! ! I Thought Week End Update Was Very Funny Especially The Twins ! ! 

On 2/8/2021 at 11:26 AM, heatherchandler said:

Did she know it would never crack up?  I wonder if this is the first time she attempted to break a guitar.  She looked really stupid trying so hard to break it.

I Thought She Looked Stupid Bumping Heads With That Other Musician And When She Practically Got Down On The Stage And I Did Not Know What She Was Doing With That Other Musician ! ! 

• Love 1