Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: All Nighter

• Start Topic

I hope this one is as good as the original Miranda version  but that may be too high a bar for these writers.

ETA: yeah, this was too high a bar for these writers. They wasted a good premise on a mechanical bull and a Shania Twain song. How is this show still on the air? If this was a "normal" season this would have been canceled after the third episode.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 2

I watched this right after I watched "Mr. Mayor", which is also on it's 8th episode.  The difference was kind of surprising.  "Mr. Mayor" is really starting to gel (cast and writing are both getting good).  "Call Me Kat', however, still seems to be stuck in "pilot-stage".  The cast is still a bit unsure of who their characters are and where to take them, and the writers are still writing "set-ups" rather than character-driven stories.  I hope it improves, but I still feel like every episode is covered in a sense of uncertainty and trepidation. 

• Love 5

On the one hand, I think this is one of the funnier episodes with a lot of good lines and a lot of the hijinks surrounding the grave and going out were fun. On the other, there was a tragic lack of cats and the cats are my favorite characters so that really makes me sad. 

"Birdie tole my prom date, so we're still working some stuff out." 

"Your almost forty...that reminds me, the cemetery called." 

• Love 7

We both laughed out loud at several parts of this episode and enjoyed it.  I thought it was one of their best episodes yet.  When that woman had Leslie Jordan hop up on her back, I couldn't stop laughing.  

But WTF was Kat wearing when she went out?  I know they're going for Quirky but she looked dowdy in that. 

Edited by Callietwo
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Callietwo said:

We both laughed out loud at several parts of this episode and enjoyed it.  I thought it was one of their best episodes yet.  When that woman had Leslie Jordan hope up on her back, I couldn't stop laughing.  

But WTF was Kat wearing when she went out?  I know they're going for Quirky but she looked dowdy in that. 

I'll join you at the table. I enjoyed this episode. It's a sweet light hearted show. 

• Love 6

I fell asleep half way through then went back to watch the rest later.  It was meh.  Like every other episode so far it wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen but not even better than average.  I really loved Mayim in her role in Big Bang Theory but still can't warm up to her here.  She needs a real sidekick like Miranda had, plus her relationship with her mother could be so much funnier.  The more time goes on the more I'm blaming the writing for that.

• Love 3

OK, so I did LOL when Kat fell into the grave, but the rest was kind of meh to me.  I spotted only one cat.  They had Randi's cousin in the show, but her scenes were short.  So Randi is going to move in with non-tipping guy?  I'm not feeling the love, and I get zero sparks between Kat and Max.  He might as well be her brother.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Callietwo said:

We both laughed out loud at several parts of this episode and enjoyed it.  I thought it was one of their best episodes yet.  When that woman had Leslie Jordan hope up on her back, I couldn't stop laughing.

I agree. I feel like CMK is now starting to veer onto its own path, rather than just copying the original show. Yes, the premise of staying up all night was also used in an episode of Miranda, but the feel of this episode was very different and I like them both. I hope the mascot guy (Oscar?) sticks around for a bit, because he seems like a fun match for Kat.

They are definitely pulling back on the Kat/Max dynamic for now, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I don't need them to be romantic, but I didn't really get the "close friends" vibe in this one either. I don't think the writers have figured out what they want to do with them yet, although some of that may be due to not knowing if the show is getting renewed.

• Love 4

I think the problem is that the writing is good (dialogue, 4th wall stuff, jokes, etc) but the acting is bad.  It was so cringy watching Kat flirting with that 30 year old guy with al her jerky body language.  The scene where she shined the most was after she and Phil fell into the hole and they had a heart to heart.  Kat's (Mayim's) calm and loving demeanor really stood out.  And then she goes and does something goofy when 30-year old guy shows up at the same diner and presents her keys to her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, ctlady said:

I think the problem is that the writing is good (dialogue, 4th wall stuff, jokes, etc) but the acting is bad.  It was so cringy watching Kat flirting with that 30 year old guy with al her jerky body language.  The scene where she shined the most was after she and Phil fell into the hole and they had a heart to heart.  Kat's (Mayim's) calm and loving demeanor really stood out.  And then she goes and does something goofy when 30-year old guy shows up at the same diner and presents her keys to her.

I actually think it's a bit of both.  I think the actors are doing the best they can but I don't think different actors could completely rescue this.  I just re-watched the episode of Miranda where she and Stevie attempt to keep up with a 20 year old and stay up all night and split my sides.  Both the writing AND acting contributed to it being a great show, and I definitely see how in this show the writing is lacking.  Then again I don't think some of these actors are the right fit for their roles either, which doesn't help.  Plus the characterizations as created by the show aren't that good and so it would be hard for anyone to make it work that well.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, Callietwo said:

I once worked with a lady that was 40ish and she always wore dresses with leggings and then add a kimono. She looked really dowdy and it aged her like 20/30 years.

I didn't laugh once and I missed the kitty cats 😞

• Love 1

I enjoyed this ep more than I have any of the previous ones, mainly because of Kat dancing on the bar.  Looked like Mayim was actually enjoying that.

Other thoughts:

When Randi was wiping the table in the cafe', there were actual crumbs on it.  Nice touch of realism.

"Don't you ride those goats. Those goats aren't for riding.  But we did."  

The skin around those Badass Kitty Gang tats would have been a lot more irritated, and they'd have had ointment and clear cellophane on them to protect against infection.  Not a nice touch of realism, but understandable as it would have taken away from the design.

As others have said, they should show the cast's names as each character waves goodbye (my second favorite part of the show).

Even the laugh track is muted.  Not that I mind; laugh tracks suck, but somewhere some wit is saying that it's reflective of the level of humor.

I'm in for the duration, just for the kitties (my favorite part of the show).

wXWD56l.gif

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 7

I thought this episode was fine. My only real complaint is that the age jokes fell flat because Kyla Pratt is 34 and has not been shown to be the life of the party. There was never a sense that Kat and Phil had to work to keep up with Randi. 

I’d be interested to know if these episodes are airing in the same order they were filmed because it feels like we’re jumping between two different concepts. The best friend, the French girlfriend, Kat daydreaming things and the cats all seem to appear and disappear in a way that makes no sense. I like both show to varying degrees but the back in forth is just annoying.

When the bartender ripped off his shirt I was really expecting it to be another one of Kat’s visions or a dream because it would have been in a different episode. 

Edited by Guest
18 hours ago, Dani said:

I thought this episode was fine. My only real complaint is that the age jokes fell flat because Kyla Pratt is 34 and has not been shown to be the life of the party. There was never a sense that Kat and Phil had to work to keep up with Randi. 

I’d be interested to know if these episodes are airing in the same order they were filmed because it feels like we’re jumping between two different concepts. The best friend, the French girlfriend, Kat daydreaming things and the cats all seem to appear and disappear in a way that makes no sense. I like both show to varying degrees but the back in forth is just annoying.

That's true.  What's strange is that they keep taking plots from the original show but not making the point that the original show made with them (or any point at all it seems) so a lot of stuff that happens seems pointless and goes nowhere.  Why even take stuff from the original if they're just going to go nowhere with it?  It seems lazy, like they can't even think up their own plots, but then they go and butcher those plots to the point that they don't even make sense.  In this episode it just looked like going to the bar was an excuse to make Kat look quirky and fun, but they didn't drive any point home that served any general theme in the show.  They have to remember that a lot of people haven't seen the original so if they aren't consistent or clear it will all seem pointless and no one is going to know where they're going with it.  If I didn't watch the original I wouldn't know what to make of anything at this point.  But on the other hand, having seen the original  I'm even more frustrated because I feel like there's been no direction or development in her relationship with Max, and there should be. 

Sometimes I get the feeling like they're only using Max as a fantasy figure, but not for anything real.  I don't even know if she's really interested in him at this point because they really haven't had much contact at all.  Like you say, they keep jumping around between concepts and it makes no sense.  In the previous episode it looked like she was going to start dating that other guy.  Did she turn him off to the point that he backed out altogether?  I somehow missed that key point if they did make it.  And now in this episode it's like he never existed.  I can see why you think the episodes are airing out of order.  This show is starting to become very frustrating for me.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 4

I thought the guy from last week was scared off and didn't expect to see him again.  He had nothing invested in their relationship...non-relationship, really, so if something bothers you before you start dating, then don't date.  I do expect to see this week's guy again, so we'll see if they take it anywhere.

I guess I watch TV different than some of you.  I don't generally get bothered about a lot of stuff.  Just entertain me.  And this show entertains me.  Cute kitties are a plus.

Funny, after last week's discussion about Mayim not being a conventional beauty, there were a few times this episode where I noticed she was actually quite pretty.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
22 hours ago, Johann said:

I guess I watch TV different than some of you.  I don't generally get bothered about a lot of stuff.  Just entertain me.  And this show entertains me.

Same here.

22 hours ago, Johann said:

Cute kitties are a plus.

You lost me there.

I've already gone through Miranda's three seasons three times already, so for me the the biggest missed opportunities are the relationships that Miranda had.  Kat needs a bestie, a Stevie, someone a little more tightly wound than Kat, who can also be competitive with Kat.  Kat's mother needs to be more intrusive, and have more of Penny's tics (what I call, such fun).  Kat needs a real frenemy like Tillie.  Tillie called her Queen Kong, Tara calls Kat something innocuous like Kittycat.

However, I do love the waving from all the actors at the close of the show.  Seems to capture the whimsy that was Miranda.

• Love 1
On 2/20/2021 at 12:40 PM, foxfreakinmulder said:

I once worked with a lady that was 40ish and she always wore dresses with leggings and then add a kimono. She looked really dowdy and it aged her like 20/30 years.

That gave me images of Bea Arthur's 'Maude' days with the pantsuits and flowing tunics

I don't like the Converse/tights/frumpy dress combos.  It doesn't make her look fashionable or edgy.  It reminds me of Christy on Mom where she was a 40 year old woman with 2 kids who dressed in hoodies, jeans and sneakers constantly. 

On 2/21/2021 at 1:17 PM, Johann said:

Funny, after last week's discussion about Mayim not being a conventional beauty, there were a few times this episode where I noticed she was actually quite pretty.

I love her short, flippy haircut.  That long, flat hair with the barrette that had no purpose she sported on TBBT did her no justice

I can really do without Swoosie Kurtz.  Her speech seems to be impaired by her dentures/implants. 

So.......does Max hooking up with Randi's cousin mean 'out of sight, out of mind' when it comes to Brigeeeet in Paris?

• Love 2

This was a fun episode, except for the lack of kittehs. 

I wore a sweater dress with leggings to Christmas Eve dinner. I didn't feel like fooling with tights & heels, but it was a little too chilly for bare legs. But my dress was right at knee-length, which IIRC is shorter than Kat's, so I hope I didn't look dowdy. I thought it looked cute & I did get compliments including from my 11-year old daughters so there's that. 

Love the idea of a PSA about pet adoption. 

On 2/19/2021 at 11:10 PM, CarpeFelis said:

I just want Kat’s t-shirt with the cat/heartbeat!

Me too! And an apron. I would seriously buy at lest one of each. 

On 2/20/2021 at 12:04 AM, Cherpumple said:

They are definitely pulling back on the Kat/Max dynamic for now, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I don't need them to be romantic, but I didn't really get the "close friends" vibe in this one either. I don't think the writers have figured out what they want to do with them yet, although some of that may be due to not knowing if the show is getting renewed.

There's no chemistry between them - best friends or romantic. They just seem like work neighbors. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Toothbrush said:

There's no chemistry between them - best friends or romantic. They just seem like work neighbors. 

I much preferred Tom Ellis on the original show. Guess he’s been too busy playing Lucifer these days.

• Love 4

I genuinely like some of Kat's outfits. She always looks comfortable. Most women's fashion involves restricting your mobility or making you look like you had nothing to do all day other than prepare to... do nothing but be looked at. Kat always looks like she's comfortable. busy, active, but also ready for a lark.

• Love 10

Another awful episode. I don't believe in hate watching, so I'm not sure why I'm still hanging in there.

Sassy Employee needs to learn that when you're out with your boss, you don't insult her and your coworker at every turn by calling them "old" or telling them they "sound old." (Interesting that the actress playing the employee is only 10 years younger than Mayim Bialik but plays the character as mid to late 20s.)

22 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

There's no chemistry between [Max & Kat] - best friends or romantic. They just seem like work neighbors. 

It's because Cheyenne Jackson is gay and isn't a good enough actor to pull off playing straight, unlike Jim Parsons or Neil Patrick Harris or Matt Bomer, who can. However, I do get a "best friends" vibe from them, especially in the episode when they did the karaoke/open mike night. I really wish they had gone with that scenario.

I can take Leslie Jordan only in small doses, and this show has already used up its quota of him. I liked him well enough in that show he did set in the retirement community, but maybe that's because he was playing against his contemporaries, unlike here, where he is by far the oldest character (not counting Swoozie Kurtz). They keep trying to make him act as if he's still young and hot with the same issues as the other young people in the cast. If they want a dose of realism, how about the issues that face older, single gay men? (At least in a previous episode, the dating site he was on was for older gay, Christian singles). 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/22/2021 at 11:27 AM, sugarbaker design said:

I've already gone through Miranda's three seasons three times already, so for me the the biggest missed opportunities are the relationships that Miranda had.  Kat needs a bestie, a Stevie, someone a little more tightly wound than Kat, who can also be competitive with Kat.  Kat's mother needs to be more intrusive, and have more of Penny's tics (what I call, such fun).  Kat needs a real frenemy like Tillie.  Tillie called her Queen Kong, Tara calls Kat something innocuous like Kittycat.

However, I do love the waving from all the actors at the close of the show.  Seems to capture the whimsy that was Miranda.

I'm in total agreement with you and have thought about each of your points myself.  Her mother needs to drive more of the plots and provide more mortification and embarrassment.  The only episode so far that captured the original relationship between Miranda and her mother was the one in the therapist's office.

Tillie was a classic, I loved "bear with", LOL.  That has definitely become a regular part of my vocabulary now, LOL.

23 hours ago, ctlady said:

I don't like the Converse/tights/frumpy dress combos.  It doesn't make her look fashionable or edgy.  It reminds me of Christy on Mom where she was a 40 year old woman with 2 kids who dressed in hoodies, jeans and sneakers constantly. 

I love her short, flippy haircut.  That long, flat hair with the barrette that had no purpose she sported on TBBT did her no justice

I think they dress Kat too young, to be honest.  Or at least not in a way that flatters Mayim.  As Miranda herself would say, "Mutton dressed as lamb", LOL.  I think Mayim could have pulled off those outfits about 10 years ago.  Now I think they just make her look older.  I also think the hair makes her look older, but that's just my opinion.  They could have gone shorter and more flippy than on BBT but not as short as she has it now and I think it would have been more flattering.

• Love 2

I'm seeing Mayim's making this character more like Blossom and that's a good thing. 

The UK version Miranda is kind of annoying and a cartoon...while I'm seeing Kat as someone starting a new lease on life after focusing on her career.

• Love 3

For those of you who were looking for Kat’s heartbeat t-shirt 

https://wornontv.net/211118/

This show definitely has its flaws, but it has improved from the pilot and I’m entertained for now. I’m hoping they’ll continue to improve and find their groove as they go along. I liked the friendship in this episode, although Randi’s friend seemed pointless since she was in so little of the episode. 

• Useful 2
11 hours ago, Angeleyes said:

This show definitely has its flaws, but it has improved from the pilot and I’m entertained for now. I’m hoping they’ll continue to improve and find their groove as they go along. I liked the friendship in this episode, although Randi’s friend seemed pointless since she was in so little of the episode. 

Just ordered one for my GF's birthday.  Thanks!

• Love 1
On 2/25/2021 at 11:38 PM, Angeleyes said:

Thanks! Just ordered one for my niece, each of my girls, & myself. 

• Love 2

On 2/23/2021 at 3:47 PM, SmithW6079 said:

Sassy Employee needs to learn that when you're out with your boss, you don't insult her and your coworker at every turn by calling them "old" or telling them they "sound old." (Interesting that the actress playing the employee is only 10 years younger than Mayim Bialik but plays the character as mid to late 20s.)

Mayim Bialik is also playing the part of someone younger so the age difference between the characters is around the same as the age difference between the actresses. It was rude of Randi to insult her boss but Kat did bring up her burial plot while they were out on the town🤣.

On 2/20/2021 at 4:37 PM, Dani said:

Kyla Pratt is in her 30s but Randi isn't. 

The all-night partying was brought up as something Randi does with her cousin, but I think it's always been pretty clear that she's generally more socially active than Kat and Phil. Kat said she missed out on a lot of that as a PhD student and then as a professor. And Phil has said he likes being home, tending to his garden, even when he was in a relationship so I don't think he parties much either.  

Edited by love2lovebadtv