Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Who Are Bosses, Boats and Eckhart Tolle?

Pallas
  • Start Topic

On 2/4/2021 at 7:45 PM, greekmom said:

I didn't understand why Chuck wouldn't agree to being a silent partner if Dan still wanted to work.

Then he'd be liable for any resulting debts and/or negligence without actually being there to see what's going on.  Seems risky.

He could let Dan pay him off over a period of time.  Unless Chuck was good at bringing in business, or was extremely productive for his age, Dan could make enough on his own for this to work out. Of course, Chuck may be counting on a full payout to help fund his retirement, but that would be very unrealistic on his part.

On 2/5/2021 at 7:00 PM, love2lovebadtv said:

And I was surprised that Mary was asking Dan for money to play laser tag. I don't think DJ is rich but it's still his job to provide funds for Mary's care. Just because she stays in the main Conner household does not mean she should have to ask her grandfather for money. She is not there because her parents are struggling, but rather because they're working. 

Exactly.  DJ should be providing at least $50 per week for food, and occasionally extra for entertainment for her and Mark, since I assume Mary is sharing his bedroom along with Harris (and Harris' boyfriend, too, at times.)  Seriously, is Mary sleeping on the floor?  She always comes down from upstairs, so she's not sleeping with Becky (which was mentioned as a suggestion when Becky and Darlene discussed having her stay there.)  In real life, Darlene and Harris would be sharing the double room, Mark would have the single room, Mary would share a bed with Harris or have an inflatable mattress, and Ben would be somewhere else.  I felt this way back when Becky had to move into the basement with her newborn, though I suppose she has a decent set-up now.

And even though it's not his job to pay for laser tag, I wonder that Dan doesn't feel bad not being able to spend $20 (?) to occasionally take Mary out, while probably drinking $40 of beer each week.  I guess the beer keeps him mildly sedated enough to endure his existence.

I certainly hope that DJ takes Mary home each weekend and does fun things with her.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, tribeca said:

The show seems to acknowledge the Covid pandemic but not everything.  

That gives me an idea:  Maybe this show takes place in an alternate universe where the virus is only outdoors.  That's why they take their masks off when they come inside.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, tribeca said:

Dan sees had he made different choices In life he could be enjoying retirement now.  It’s kind of sad.  

I'm not convinced any of the characters realize they're in financial straits because of decisions they've made in the past. For the most part they are being portrayed as victims of the economy more than anything else. Which is partly true, and we can't really say what mistakes they did or didn't make in the past because this show has rewritten so much of the original show's history it's hard to say. Dan's job working for the local government fixing buses etc., did that job exist in this revisionist show? That's not to say he'd be sitting pretty if he had kept that job. Small towns are hard up for funds too, so there's every possibility he could have been laid off.

• Love 5
On 2/4/2021 at 1:30 PM, TattleTeeny said:

Maybe the Woolworths has sat there empty for all these years?

I don't know why, but this show always looks faded and washed-out on my TV, even though my other channels are fine.

I'd find that hard to believe re: the Woolworths.  The sign would look pretty awful by now because most of the stores closed close to 25 years ago now.  It was one of those lighted signs that hung out into the sidewalk, and it looked current, not abandoned.   The only Woolworth's anything still in existence in the US are either in museums or an antique mall in California.

But I hear you about the show looking faded - on my screen it looks dark and muddy, and nothing else looks like that on my TV.  I don't get that and it bugs me because it's not just a little darker but annoyingly dark.  I have a pretty great TV so I didn't think it was because of that.  I'm actually happy to know it's not just me.  I can only imagine it's deliberate but I can't figure out why they would do that.

44 minutes ago, Superclam said:

New episode on the 24th. I don't know why they had so many repeats. I always thought February was sweeps month, is that over? 

If it were a normal TV season, they probably would be having sweeps right now, but given COVID and the fact that a lot of shows, including this one, started filming and airing their seasons much later than usual as a result, I think the networks want to try and space out the new episodes as much as possible so that they have stuff to air up through at least the end of the typical TV season. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 1