Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Chapter Seventy-Nine: Graduation

Bort
  • Start Topic

With Graduation Day around the corner, the gang consider their next steps beyond Riverdale High. Archie learns whether he will be able to graduate with his classmates. FP makes a difficult decision about his and Jellybean’s future.

Airdate: 3 February 2021

It's hard to know what the end of Season 4 would have looked like had it been allowed to proceed without the intervention of the coronavirus, but the returned episodes have all had the feeling of a somewhat rushed deck-clearing exercise as they prepare for the time jump -- I suspect the original plan would have felt a bit more natural, all things considered.  But it is what it is.

And I won't deny, the final bits with the big four going their separate ways got me (and was at points understated in a way this show doesn't normally operate in).

• Love 7

Only when they graduate there is a semblance they were at school for the entire day and not just hanging in the lounge. 

Very odd yet fitting Jughead decided to live in an abandoned house then instead of asking someone if he could stay with them for the summer before school.

I teared up at the short clip of Fred telling Archie that he was glad to be here to see him graduate.  I know that was from a dream, but I miss Luke Perry. 

• Love 6

Wouldn't the class of 1945 not be going off to war...because the war ended in May of that year?

I hope this time jump leads to some actual good storylines, but I have a feeling it's going to be sillier than ever.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I liked when Jughead threw his iconic cap into the time capsule to be buried, and Cheryl commented "Finally".

Nice that Betty told Jughead about the kiss.  I thought it was a bit presumptuous of Archie to want to drop that bomb on him before he left, without discussing it first with Betty.  He would be throwing a wrench into their relationship as he left, but I understand he wanted to clear the air. 

What war is going on that Archie is enlisting?  I'm not at all sure what time period this is supposed to be set in.  Is it a real war or a fictional one?  The time jump seems like a good idea.  

• Love 1
6 hours ago, rmontro said:

What war is going on that Archie is enlisting?  I'm not at all sure what time period this is supposed to be set in.  Is it a real war or a fictional one?  The time jump seems like a good idea.  

They live in a world where the kids drive jalopy and older cars and Archie and his mom owned an old school TV.  And yet they all have iPhones and MacBooks and reference Real Housewives and make it clear it's "2020." So...who knows lol. 

• Love 2

I'm stoked and impatient for the time jump, so glad we're finally there.

This episode was pretty decent by Riverdale standards, but still funny in the way I enjoy. "Archie, you have to repeat senior year, but can you please record a cover of a Green Day song for graduation?" Betty is somehow valedictorian. Archie gives an emotional speech about how he's joining the army because he can get his "high school degree" that way. FP dumps Jughead as soon as he turns 18, and leaves him to sleep in an abandoned house. Alice is also apparently okay with this, even though Jughead's been living with her as her step-son up until now. Veronica gives the diner back to Pop because she's done playing with it, now.

I liked when Jughead threw his iconic cap into the time capsule to be buried, and Cheryl commented "Finally".

I liked how the previous generation left things that might be interesting to the current generation, but then these guys left a bunch of stuff that's personal to them and won't mean anything in 70 years. I also liked how Cheryl and Toni used gloves to handle the historical artifacts, and then left them on a table where anyone can touch them with their finger oils.

Nice that Betty told Jughead about the kiss.  I thought it was a bit presumptuous of Archie to want to drop that bomb on him before he left, without discussing it first with Betty.  He would be throwing a wrench into their relationship as he left, but I understand he wanted to clear the air. 

Yeah, I thought that was funny. He kept it a secret so it wouldn't blow up Jughead and Betty's relationship, right up until the moment he was leaving town and it wouldn't affect him anymore, and then he was like, "Hey, I have to tell you something..."

• Love 4
2 hours ago, SourK said:

I liked how the previous generation left things that might be interesting to the current generation, but then these guys left a bunch of stuff that's personal to them and won't mean anything in 70 years. I also liked how Cheryl and Toni used gloves to handle the historical artifacts, and then left them on a table where anyone can touch them with their finger oils.

Ha! I do think a menu from Pop's would have social significance to future students (even just for the whole "a hamburger only cost that much?" factor), as would the Pretty Poisons jacket and the school musical programs. A guitar pick and an old woolen cap are probably the most useless.

• Love 2

Considering there were obviously issues with trying to wrap up everything from last season (they probably would have ended about here in the original plan and start this season with the time jump) really quickly to get to the time jump, this was actually not bad. I guess I do still have some real emotions attached to this show and these characters, because seeing them all together and then going their own ways actually did make me sad, it felt actually emotional and bittersweet. It probably helped that, by Riverdale standards, it was pretty understated. No cults, no murders, no sex tapes, it was just graduation and the core four dealing with the fallout of Betty and Archie kissing. Even that was pretty understated, more sad than dramatic. 

Of course, its Riverdale, so a lot of logistical questions were ignored to get everyone where they needed to be. Archie enlists and goes to basic in about a day, which will also let him get his GED, Betty somehow manages to become valedictorian despite us hardly ever seeing her to school work, Archie is asked to record a graduation song and walk even though he has to take a whole extra year, neither FP or Alice bothered to see if Jughead had a place to live when they both took off (which I guess takes us back full circle to Jughead being homeless back in season one because FP was really sketchy and couldn't be bothered with him) and other things like that. Everyone is also apparently very forgiving of Jellybean and her little snuff film crew, considering how much they messed people up, and I know that she's a little kid, but her being all smiles with everyone at graduation seems a bit weird. Also, I have no idea why the show keeps saying how Riverdale used to be such a nice, normal little town, from everything we have heard, Riverdale has always been nuts, going back to the towns founding, but I guess they just hid it better until recently. 

The time skip should be interesting, its always tough for a high school show when the characters inevitably have to graduate. Do you let the original cast go and focus on new characters? Do you have a million subplots as you follow them to various locations? Do they all go to the conveniently located and never before mentioned major college that is also in the town? I think the time jump was probably their best bet, I am honestly curious about what will happen next, and its been awhile since I felt like that with this show. Of course, it will probably just be more ridiculous than ever, but at least it might be a bit different. And the cast not being high schoolers will at least make a lot of their stories a bit less...weird. A twenty four year old mob boss is certainly a bit more reasonable than an eighteen year old one. 

The flashbacks to Fred just killed me, any time they mention Fred I get emotional. Then Archie played Good Riddance, and come on Archie, really? I thought that song had been officially banned at all graduations due to overuse? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I have to think Jughead would be more upset about "one kiss" if he knew that Archie wrote a whole song for Betty. Doesn't make it seem like it was just one little kiss on his end at least.

• Love 1

Archie not getting to graduate (honestly, they should just let everyone graduate after the horror show of a high school career they had) was rough, but Riverdale High managing to gouge Archie one last time for free music is probably the most actual high school thing this school has ever done.

Cheryl showed some real growth by putting off college to fix the damage her family has done in Riverdale, which is actually a nice direction for her character moving forward.

I have to admit, I really felt it for Jughead when he showed up at Pops only to find no one there. 

I'm honestly interested to see what madness will happen after the timeskip.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, SourK said:

Betty is somehow valedictorian.

A couple of other people have brought this up, and something about it didn't sit well with me either.  Not that she isn't smart, but it seems like she'd be spending more of her time playing junior detective and editing the school paper.  I would have been less surprised if the valedictorian had been, say Toni, or whoever.

This would have been a good series finale.  The big goodbye with Archie looking out the back window of the school bus seemed a little overdone.  Just a bit.

With the time jump, I imagine there will be some mystery involved, like "Some event happened in the last six years, but we'll have to wait to find out what it was".  It was interesting that Jughead was the only one who showed up at the annual meetup.  That and him doing the narrative seems to suggest it's mainly his show, although I've always gotten the feeling it's mainly Betty's show.

• Love 2

This episode definitely had a feeling of initially being last season's finale (and, really, it might have even worked for a series finale as well), but the shutdowns messed everything up.  Understandable, but still kind of weird that this is only the third episode of the season and there was a sense of finality here.

That said, it was actually nice seeing an episode that was just so... well, normal.  Don't get me wrong: I love the batshit insanity that happens here, but it was just refreshing seeing the group together and dealing with normal issues like graduating, worrying about their future, more normal relationship troubles, and couples realizing that their relationships might not be the same going forward.  And, again, the cast actually work really well together, so I'm glad we got so many group scenes this go around.

So, it looks like FP is going to be gone for good: just like Hermione.  I was wondering if either Skeet Ulrich or Marisol Nichols might have second thoughts due to everything going on and possibly not wanting to lose job security, but I guess that isn't the case.  Of course, I wouldn't be too surprised if either one of them returns at some point.

Archie suddenly wanting to join the army was pretty flimsy and sudden, but that admittedly is almost in line when it comes to most of Archie's decisions.

Considering everything she has been through, Betty being the valedictorian still either means she is incredibly smart or everyone else in Riverdale High is just that dumb.

Surprised that Jughead found out about Archie and Betty's kiss through Betty confessing it to him.  Thought for sure he was going to find out by accident.

Keller being sheriff again is kind of mixed, because on one hand, he honestly wasn't all that great at the job, but on the other hand, considering how everyone else was in that role, he's still the best choice.  Plus, he's one of the decent adults here, so I'm glad for him.

Cheryl is planning on trying to fix the Blossom family image, I see.  We'll see!

Loved the montage of the past foes and how nutter each one of them seem to get.  Because, sure, Clifford Blossom was a psycho who murdered his own son in cold blood, but at least he was a normal psycho, and was some hooded dude killing sinners, someone dressed as a gargoyle, or an evil prep taking his class assignment way too seriously!

No matter how long ago it will be, seeing Fred/Luke Perry will always be a punch in the gut.  Still miss him.

Can't wait to see where the time jump takes us!

• Love 3

I will say that, besides the cheating stuff being mentioned and Veronica acting as if it was not even a big deal, the episode might be one of my favourites of the entire series. I actually think they did a great job at concluding this first chapter of the series, so to speak. I saw this episode as ending this first chapter to start the second one with the time jump. I think what helped was this episode was mostly a normal one, dealing with normal problems instead of crazy ass shit.

16 hours ago, Quark said:

I do wonder how they did that Luke Perry scene. It was well done.

This is because this was taken from the scene from the season 2 premiere, when Fred was dreaming of Archie graduating. They kind of stumbled into a lucky situation where they had that type of footage. 

All the mentions of Fred were interwoven beautifully, and it really worked for Archie's arc as he found out he wasn't even going to be technically graduating with everyone. I don't think I love the idea of him joining the Army but it's perfectly in character for him to make a decision like that. I kind of wish that he had just retaken his senior year and having nobody in Riverdale for that would have made him join the Army after his second time around, but I also think the last scene with Archie leaving on the bus was well done. Again, handwaving the cheating stuff since the show mostly wanted us to not make it a big deal. 

Although...Jughead/Betty drifting apart as a result of the cheating? That was surprising for them to actually go through with it and I really love that they made that decision. It truly felt realistic for Jughead to be affected enough that he distanced himself from Betty.

They really handled Veronica's stuff wrong with the fact that she was so distraught over Archie and still seemed like they were together in the last few scenes. She really should have been pissed off. 

I liked the closure to FP's story. How he left town to be a father for Jellybean? That's a better sendoff than I would have expected. 

I also had to chuckle at Mary immediately selling the Andrews house. She never DID like Riverdale so it makes perfect sense for me that she'd leave as soon as Archie did. 

Cheryl staying in town is surprising. I hope it works out for her!

Overall, a surprisingly beautiful end to their high school chapter. It really did help that no crazy shit was happening and they could just focus on the characters, rather than the plot/storylines.

• Love 5
On 2/4/2021 at 9:17 AM, mtlchick said:

They live in a world where the kids drive jalopy and older cars and Archie and his mom owned an old school TV.  And yet they all have iPhones and MacBooks and reference Real Housewives and make it clear it's "2020." So...who knows lol. 

The show has always shamelessly existed in its own space time continuum that seems to meld aspects of today with aspects of the earlier indeterminate decades that seem to jump from 1920's "speakeasy" references to 1950's jalopies, and 1970's VCRs. I suppose this may make the 7 year jump a bit easier since they can continue with the same vague and mixed time period references.

• Love 1
On 2/5/2021 at 9:20 AM, Lady Calypso said:

I also had to chuckle at Mary immediately selling the Andrews house. She never DID like Riverdale so it makes perfect sense for me that she'd leave as soon as Archie did. 

Cheryl staying in town is surprising. 

I wonder why Cheryl didn’t show up at the one year reunion? Seems odd if she is living there. Archie is in army and not in control of his time, and has no family in town.  

i guess one year later Jughead isn’t in contact with anyone is the surprising thing. He should at least tell us why betty and archie aren’t there. 

1 hour ago, Affogato said:

I wonder why Cheryl didn’t show up at the one year reunion? Seems odd if she is living there. 

Because she was never invited to it. The reunion was just for the Core Four. Cheryl is their fifth, but still on the outside.

1 hour ago, Affogato said:

i guess one year later Jughead isn’t in contact with anyone is the surprising thing. He should at least tell us why betty and archie aren’t there. 

It's difficult to say from that ending if Jughead was in at least partial contact with everyone. I find it hard to believe that everyone suddenly changed their numbers and were unreachable, but it seems like they lost contact and the disappointment was more that none of them bothered to say "hey, can't make it to the reunion." I assume they really did stop talking to each other after a time, but they aren't very clear about that part. This show probably wants us to believe that they stopped talking altogether after they all parted ways. 

11 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

This show probably wants us to believe that they stopped talking altogether after they all parted ways. 

Yeah, very strange that no one kept in touch.  If something happened that ticked all of them off, maybe I could buy it, but how would that happen when they were all apart?  Doesn't really make sense.  Oh well, crazy Riverdale.  Or maybe Jughead is the only sentimental one.

For Riverdale, this was a really, boring mundane episode. For a standard teen drama it was a good episode, even with the occassional eyeroll. As someone who has been with this show from day one, it felt very close to a series finale. I actaulyl said to a friend at work today who hadn't watched this episode yet, that if they want to quit Riverdale (cause we are kind hate watching it now) she needed to watch this episode as it would give her closure that will allow her to be done with Riverdale if she wanted to. I won't be surprised, if in hindsight, I look back on this episode the same way I look back on that episode of Glee in Season 5 before they moved full time to New York. This was the series finale and everything aterwards I can ignore if I want to.

My only real disappointment in the episode is we didn't really get a sense of what Kevin and Reggie were heading for their 7 year gap. I honestly cannot remember if the show told me what they were doing after graduation.

Oh and Riverdale writers, that Green Day is not about what you think it is about. As a teacher, that song is on my personal banned list for Graduation ceremonies due to people's misunderstanding of the true meaning. I mean it's right there in the song title Good Riddance. It's not a happy, reflective song about positivity. I cannot hide my eyerolls whenever it is trotted out at a school assembly saying goodbye to a year group.

17 hours ago, rmontro said:

Yeah, very strange that no one kept in touch.  If something happened that ticked all of them off, maybe I could buy it, but how would that happen when they were all apart?  Doesn't really make sense.  Oh well, crazy Riverdale.  Or maybe Jughead is the only sentimental one.

I took it more as they agreed to all get together but then once they all went out, things changed. I could see them losing touch with Archie if he goes to basic and then gets shipped off somewhere. Betty, Jughead and Veronica all went to different colleges and got busy with classes and new friends. Plus, Betty and Jug weren't really a couple anymore so I could see them losing a bit of touch. 

Even though Veronica was mad at Archie, I liked that they had a proper goodbye. The scene with them driving after the bus was cute.

I personally can't wait for the time jump. I wonder what happens that brings them all back to Riverdale.

13 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

Oh and Riverdale writers, that Green Day is not about what you think it is about. As a teacher, that song is on my personal banned list for Graduation ceremonies due to people's misunderstanding of the true meaning. I mean it's right there in the song title Good Riddance. It's not a happy, reflective song about positivity. I cannot hide my eyerolls whenever it is trotted out at a school assembly saying goodbye to a year group.

I know what you're saying, but that song does have some reflective lyrics, even if the idea behind it wasn't so nostalgic (it was about a bitter breakup).  But Billie Joe Armstrong is aware that it is often used at graduations and has even said that the lyrics make more sense that way.  So yeah, I get you, but I think it still works as a nostalgic sentimental song.  Didn't really enjoy hearing it in this episode though, for whatever reason.  Maybe because I'm not sold on Archie as a singer/musician type.  It worked better on Seinfeld.

On 2/7/2021 at 9:56 AM, Lady Calypso said:

Because she was never invited to it. The reunion was just for the Core Four. Cheryl is their fifth, but still on the outside.

It's difficult to say from that ending if Jughead was in at least partial contact with everyone. I find it hard to believe that everyone suddenly changed their numbers and were unreachable, but it seems like they lost contact and the disappointment was more that none of them bothered to say "hey, can't make it to the reunion." I assume they really did stop talking to each other after a time, but they aren't very clear about that part. This show probably wants us to believe that they stopped talking altogether after they all parted ways. 

Jug has no real reason to come back and it is probably a hike. Although thinking Betty and archie create a wedge. Archie is in the army and has time constraints. How close is veronica to jughead anyway without archie or betty? I can see it b

On 2/4/2021 at 1:45 AM, ruby24 said:

Wouldn't the class of 1945 not be going off to war...because the war ended in May of that year?

The Allies won over Europe in May, but Japan didn't surrender until August, after the U.S. bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

So the Riverdale residents could have been deployed to the Pacific and been actively at war there. 

I have to applaud this show for recognizing in advance that every high school show ever made jumped the shark once the kids graduated and went to college.  It becomes really contrived to try and keep all these characters in the same orbit when they would be going off in their own direction (I'm looking at you 90210).  So Riverdale solves it by jumping ahead seven years, which has the added benefit of these actors now playing characters their own age.  However the new plots turn out, props for doing this.

• Love 1