Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: The Equalizer

Trini
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Raja said:

I hated the era when the closing credits had a lame rap over the TV theme of what was usually a  comic version done in the movies. The question then becomes  Queen's rap or Dana singing a standard over an 80s techno beat

Yeah, I don't want it to be rap. She can really sing though. I'd go for standard with techno beat.

Despite the rough edges that I've come to expect in any pilot, I liked it. @tvfanatic13, is there an extra chair at your table?

As for stunt casting, since Edward Woodward is gone, I'd suggest his son Peter Woodward. I first noticed him as Galen in the series Crusade, a follow-on to Babylon Five. (And met him at a sf convention, but that's another story!) Of late, he's mostly been playing villains, so he should be cast as a competing underground good guy!

image.png.30ab36effaa0af396cb4ecc2e9b3c81e.png

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
23 hours ago, paigow said:

They will stunt cast her ex.

Any guesses?

I don't suppose it's likely, but my choice would be Chris Rock. A minute or two per episode where QL and CR toss bombs at each other would be a hilarious break to what might be an otherwise stodgy script. Then the daughter could be sidelined almost entirely... which could only be a good thing.

ETA:

since Edward Woodward is gone, I'd suggest his son Peter Woodward.

An excellent suggestion!

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 7

Just finished the pilot, a little rough in places but I tend to expect that with pilots. For the most part I really liked the cast but can someone let the writers (or hell  all TV writers $ that teenagers don’t all have be little pain in the ass dickheads. 

all hail the Queen.

• Love 11
10 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Probably the motorcycle since she does drive them.

When she needs to carry lots of guns / explosives, there will be a recurring Deadpool type Uber / Lyft character.... like Denzel in Equalizer 2

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, paigow said:

When she needs to carry lots of guns / explosives, there will be a recurring Deadpool type Uber / Lyft character.... like Denzel in Equalizer 2

Wow. Maybe it will actually be Denzel... Yah, no. Prolly not.

• LOL 4
On 2/8/2021 at 10:58 AM, peacheslatour said:

Make it more brains vs brawn, please

If CBS wanted to reboot The Mentalist, they would have... Latifah would be less credible as a long con artist / carny trickster.

Another old fart here - I used to watch the original version back in the day but don't have a lot of memory of it.  

I'm ok with this so far - yup CBS procedural - but PLEASE, get rid of the brat daughter.  LOL at the above comment about "the liberal use of the slipper".  The brat daughter should be water boarded!  

• Love 4

I too watched the original series back in the day and remember liking it but don't remember details. I have not seen the movies. I liked this version, at least the pilot, quite a bit and plan to keep tuning in. Queen Latifah at 50 doesn’t quite seem old enough to be a grizzled CIA vet, but she made it work

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, DanaK said:

I too watched the original series back in the day and remember liking it but don't remember details. I have not seen the movies. I liked this version, at least the pilot, quite a bit and plan to keep tuning in. Queen Latifah at 50 doesn’t quite seem old enough to be a grizzled CIA vet, but she made it work

Yeah. I think she'll groove her way into it. Pilots are often rough. We'll see, but I'm in for now.

• Love 5
On 2/9/2021 at 11:59 AM, Raja said:

However being everywhere doesn't work as stunt casting in my mind. I would say an ex onscreen love interest. LL  Cool J is busy. Common, though he does movies might be a candidate. Or Isiah Washington from Living Single if he is welcomed back yet.

Isaiah Washington was on Grey's Anatomy. He would work if he isn't blackballed still...

Edited by Stardancer Supreme
  • Love 1

I never saw the original, but I really like Queen Latifa and its fun to see her in an action hero type role, its got a great cast in general, so I am on board this for now. This was kind of rough in the way that pilots often are, where they have to deliver a bunch of exposition and establish a bunch of characters and set up what the show will be about, but the actors sold it pretty well, and they seem to have some good bones. Its a CBS procedural, you kind of know what your getting into plot and writing wise, and as far as CBS procedurals go, this seems like it could be a good time. 

The one weak spot is the daughter, who is very much the obnoxious bratty teen that every show with a badass hero of a certain age is required to have by law, who pretty much exists to complain and whine and get into trouble and cause headaches that keep the badass hero away from the cool stuff, and to get kidnapped and then rescued in the season finale. If she starts spending more time at her dads, I would be all for that. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 11

The one weak spot is the daughter, who is very much the obnoxious bratty teen that every show with a badass hero of a certain age is required to have by law, who pretty much exists to complain and whine and get into trouble and cause headaches that keep the badass hero away from the cool stuff, and to get kidnapped and then rescued in the season finale. If she starts spending more time at her dads, I would be all for that. 

I agree. It's a tired trope and it needs to go away.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, DanaK said:

I don't know 10 adult years to build the skills to get the attention of the CIA and then a 20 year career puts one around 50. Probably since many other TV leads have  been getting progressively older meanwhile actors well beyond a federal agents mandatory retirement age still portray them on TV probably causes that reaction to Queen Latifah seeming young for a retired CIA officer.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I liked it mostly because I love Queen Latifah. I like Noth mostly due to Mike Logan and not any of his other characters. Agree about the daughter. Get rid of her. I'm happy to see Liza Lapira again I liked her on NCIS before that the stupid way they killed her off. 

• Love 5

I enjoyed it.. And I've been a fan of  Tory kittles for a while.. Loved him on colony.. Can we trade Delilah for Jewel... I'd love a competent semi rational and in the know child over some stereotypical bratty, whiny, no idea what's going on kid... One low key funny moment is when Dante first meets Robyn and hes initially all smiley and what not.. Then queen brings up him punching the lawyer.. His partner.. Or boss.. Makes the "plane going down sound"... 

• Love 3
On 2/10/2021 at 9:34 PM, Stardancer Supreme said:

Isaiah Washington was on Grey's Anatomy. He would work if he isn't blackballed still...

Isaiah Washington still works and was just in P-Valley. However, he is an absolute garbage human being, so he needs to stay far, far away from this show.

• Love 6

I love this type of show, so I'm in for the duration ( I still miss Leverage and Person of Interest, excepting the Samaritan plotline.) I don't know if I quite buy Latifah in the role yet, but it's just the pilot and I think she'll settle into the role just fine. Plus, I always enjoy her. Lorraine Toussaint was a pleasant surprise and I hope her role winds up being more than just a bit part.

The most unbelievable part of the show was that the daughter said she was spending the night at her friend's house after the dance and they were shocked that she was at a party instead. I'm pretty sure Robyn would have pulled that one a time or two and should have had a clue.

• Love 8
On 2/8/2021 at 1:08 PM, blackwing said:

I enjoyed it.  All hail the Queen!  I like Latifah and will watch her in anything and I thought she was good in this role.  I liked the balance between her as an ex-FBI agent and her as a mom.  

Ditto! I though she was bad ass in this role.

This kind of show is right up my alley. I’m in! This is the one show I’ve really been looking forward to and I enjoyed it! 

Also love that Chris Noth is in it. 

Edited by MzLiz
Spelling
  • Love 9
On 2/8/2021 at 7:59 PM, tvfanatic13 said:

Well, I liked it. I guess I will sit at my really small table. 

Pull up a chair for me!  I REALLY liked it.  Loved Queen Latifah and her "team".  

In today's world, helping people that need it and the good guys winning makes me happy.  I don't get bogged down with plot holes or 'that wouldn't happen' or stuff like that.  Entertain me and give me happy endings.

• Love 13
16 minutes ago, Johann said:

Pull up a chair for me!  I REALLY liked it.  Loved Queen Latifah and her "team".  

In today's world, helping people that need it and the good guys winning makes me happy.  I don't get bogged down with plot holes or 'that wouldn't happen' or stuff like that.  Entertain me and give me happy endings.

About the daughter, I didn't think she was that bad.  I think she was acting out because she felt her mother ignored her for a charity and basically didn't think her mother should all of a sudden just decide to start 'mothering' her.  I think/hope the daughter will settle down as her mother becomes more into her life.  She didn't seem hard-core bad.

Oops, meant to edit, not quote myself.

Edited by Johann
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 2/8/2021 at 1:25 PM, staphdude said:

For me it is specifically Queen Latifa. There is just nothing about her that allows me to suspend disbelief and see her as an elite CIA agent.

this is the same for me.  Some people can get lost in roles so effectively you forget who they are, i.e. Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks, Denzel (I didn't sleep well after watching him in Training Day he as so good).  I watch this and can't keep thinking "there's Queen Latifa".  same way I feel about Leo DiCaprio and Jack Nicholson performances....

but since it was the pilot, I'll give it another couple of views.....wish they had kept the loner aspect though....

Edited by watch2much
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Johann said:

I mean, if I'm going to watch the CBS Formula for the 3490th time, I might as well watch it with someone I like who's not the standard that's always in this type of role.

Rooting for this!

• Love 12

Another fan of the original and Chris Noth (because Mike Logan). It was a little closer to Person of Interest (which I enjoyed in its early years) but I enjoyed it, so I’ll give it a chance. I like Queen because it’s a variation on the original “who is this joker” that they did with Woodward. So wish they’d kept the theme (the soundtrack was s great). 

• Love 5

I ADORE Queen Latifah-ever since she guest starred in Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and have watched her in everything since, so that automatically drew my interest.

I had TOTALLY forgotten about Mike Logan ❤️Chris Noth❤️ So I was totally SQUEEEEING when he showed up on my screen.

And as someone who LOVED the first two and half seasons of Person of Interest  (and pretty much lost interest after Amy Acker ATE it up,) the pilot did have shades of it. 

But yeah, add me to the list who can’t stand the bratty, entitled, spoiled daughter.

AND OOOOH!!! It’s Shambala Green Lorraine Toussaint! So that’s two alumni from Mothership Law & Order!!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I ADORE Queen Latifah-ever since she guest starred in Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and have watched her in everything since, so that automatically drew my interest.

I had TOTALLY forgotten about Mike Last gan ❤️Chris Noth❤️ So I was totally SQUEEEEING when he showed up on my screen.

And as someone who LOVED the first two and half seasons of Person of Interest  (and pretty much lost interest after Amy Acker ATE it up,) the pilot did have shades of it. 

But yeah, add me to the list who can’t stand the bratty, entitled, spoiled daughter.

AND OOOOH!!! It’s Shambala Green Lorraine Toussant! So that’s two alumni from Mothership Law & Order!!

Absolutely agreeing with you on the "Amy Acker ate PoI" (and Henson leaving too just destroyed it for me). It's interesting to see the L&O folks on Equalizer because I seem to recall reading that crew from The Equalizer worked on early Mothership eps. (It was also really a trip to watch Equalizer back to back with Noth on Doctor Who - I hadn't yet seen the Christmas/NYr's ep and watched it after).

The other thing I enjoyed was Latifah doing the Elliot from Leverage bit with the traffickers. Someone should write a fic with Finch from PoI, Harry here, Nolan Ross from Revenge, and Hardison from Leverage all meeting at some hacker meet up, complaining about their hot headed, trouble prone partners.

Edited by ML89
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

AND OOOOH!!! It’s Shambala Green Lorraine Toussant! So that’s two alumni from Mothership Law & Order!!

Maybe there are some bloopers where she is arguing with Noth and "Not so fast, Detective" slips out

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

It is long part time that the person who helps people who don't know where else to turn is played by a woman.

I came because I was impressed by Queen Latifah's interview on The View. I'm staying for her, Liza LaPira and Lorraine Toussaint and for Andrew Marlowe/Terri Edda Miller. I like their writing.

On 2/9/2021 at 3:33 PM, j5cochran said:

As for stunt casting, since Edward Woodward is gone, I'd suggest his son Peter Woodward. I first noticed him as Galen in the series Crusade, a follow-on to Babylon Five. (And met him at a sf convention, but that's another story!) Of late, he's mostly been playing villains, so he should be cast as a competing underground good guy!

Good idea. I really liked him on Crusade.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I had TOTALLY forgotten about Mike Logan ❤️Chris Noth❤️ So I was totally SQUEEEEING when he showed up on my screen.

AND OOOOH!!! It’s Shambala Green Lorraine Toussaint! So that’s two alumni from Mothership Law & Order!!

I would love to see VDO on here. He could play a baddie.

• Love 4

I watched this solely on the strength of Queen Latifah.  I actually liked it.  It is a very CBS-procedural-show show which aren't normally my jam, but I liked it.  But QL and Chris Noth are very appealing.  Lorraine Toussaint is also a draw although she was massively under-used in the pilot. I expect that to change because she is too talented to disappear into the background.

I have no clue what an elite CIA agent is supposed to look like.  The only CIA person I've ever seen is that ex-CIA operative who does youtube videos and she looks like someone's grandma.  My sister is retired military.  She looks like someone's pissed off auntie. All the time.  So I have no issue with QL's casting for that.

I did like the scene in the bad guy's house with him finding all the bodies in her wake and getting more and more freaked and she projected her voice through his sound system and taunted him.  That is the type of sly action I like.  I don't always need hand to hand combat and pyro-technics. 

I don't hate the daughter the way everyone else seems to.  I hate the idea of the daughter.  Here is where CBS needs to get out of their own way.  It is super tropey.  I wonder if once you get a procedural type show green-lit on CBS they give you a list to character tropes to pick from?

Edited by DearEvette
  • LOL 8
  • Love 6
12 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I watched this solely on the strength of Queen Latifah.  I actually liked it.  It is a very CBS-procedural-show show which aren't normally my jam, but I liked it.  But QL and Chris Noth are very appealing.  Lorraine Toussaint is also a draw although she was massively under-used in the pilot. I expect that to change because she is too talented to disappear into the background.

I have no clue what an elite CIA agent is supposed to look like.  The only CIA person I've ever seen is that ex-CIA operative who does youtube videos and she looks like someone's grandma.  My sister is retired military.  She looks like someone's pissed off auntie. All the time.  So I have no issue with QL's casting for that.

It is a result of the bias of the "elite" that has been built up since the 1980s which the pilot gave a nod to in the opening fight against the gang rapist and probably sex slave traffickers. 

In the world of elitisms spies, even senior citizen ones, beat middle aged special forces soldiers in fights. And retired athlete aged special forces soldiers beat  regular young infantrymen who would be the age of actual MMA and boxing champions in their physical prime. While we can hide Liam Neeson's, Denzel Washington's or even Keanu Reeves actual skills behind production tricks  Queen Latifah doesn't get that benefit of doubt where as model thin folks who would be more at a disadvantage than her  of getting in a surprise blow with power behind it do get that audience acceptance since they are seen as "fit"

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I did like the scene in the bad guy's house with him finding all the bodies in her wake and getting more and more freaked and she projected her voice through his sound system and taunted him.  That is the type of sly action I like.  I don't always need hand to hand combat and pyro-technics. 

I don't hate the daughter the way everyone else seems to.  I hate the idea of the daughter.  Here is where CBS needs to get out of their own way.  It is super tropey.  I wonder if once you get a procedural type show green-lit on CBS they give you a list to character tropes to pick from?

I have two friends that were CIA agents.  One is a completely unassuming, tiny, woman.  She speaks multiple languages and is fit.  The other short (under 5’8”) built dude.  Again very unassuming and not at all memorable.  He would probably have been considered elite but neither would you think were CIA. Which is the whole point of the CIA, some one that can operate with out being suspicious.  I know of one other, college professor was his cover and he looked like one.  Because of this I can believe all of the characters as CIA agents. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
7 minutes ago, Raja said:

While we can hide Liam Neeson's, Denzel Washington's or even Keanu Reeves actual skills behind production tricks  Queen Latifah doesn't get that benefit of doubt where as model thin folks who would be more at a disadvantage than her  of getting in a surprise blow with power behind it do get that audience acceptance since they are seen as "fit"

See, my problem is they don't use 'production tricks' to make her fight sequences look believable. (Or at least, after one episode, maybe I should say they didn't.) I realize those production tricks are expensive, which is why I said earlier, if they can't afford them, they should have less fight sequences. And maybe more outsmarting of bad-guys than out-fighting them. Rather than 2-3 unrealistic-looking fights per episode maybe they should save up the budget and have one expensively produced, believable fight sequence every episode. Or every two episodes.

I got no problem with QL being cast as the Equalizer. But for goodness sake, if you can't, for what ever reason, make the ass-kicking scenes look less hokey, then do away with them and find another way for her to shine as she saves her clients. Some stunt-baddie sticking his head out and waiting for her to whack it with a balsawood spanner just ain't gonna cut it.

• Love 2

Annnnd... Harry the Hacker. <sigh> They just have to have one, don't they? Some guy who can hack his way into a wheel of cheese and come out with a toasted sandwich? Such a trope, and such bullshit. But I suppose that's easier than figuring out legitimate, believable ways to explain how the good guys come up with the information they need.

I like Adam Goldberg, but my heart sank a bit when I saw this. I guess TV will never get tired of the hacker whiz character.

• Love 2
On 2/8/2021 at 9:43 AM, Netfoot said:

Annnnd... Harry the Hacker. <sigh> They just have to have one, don't they? Some guy who can hack his way into a wheel of cheese and come out with a toasted sandwich? Such a trope, and such bullshit. But I suppose that's easier than figuring out legitimate, believable ways to explain how the good guys come up with the information they need. 

6 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

I like Adam Goldberg, but my heart sank a bit when I saw this. I guess TV will never get tired of the hacker whiz character.

Oh I love me a quirky hacker. And I like Adam Goldberg, so it's all good.

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

I like him a lot too. He has been great in everything I've ever seen him in. I don't like what they're doing with him here at all. The scruffyness, the stupid hat - just to make him seem "quirky". He can play quirky in his sleep, without all the affectations.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

Oh I love me a quirky hacker.

Yeah, but just for once, they should try "Harry the Psychic".  It would be different. And it would be just as believable as the |33+ hacking skilz of some guy who, at a moments notice, can hack a barbecue and steal the briquettes.

• Love 3

Late to the party. I liked it - a lot. Had some Person of Interest vibes and that's never a bad thing. The teenage daughter is the weak link. Is there some screenwriters manual on how to write annoying teenagers that they all use? If so somebody should publish a revised edition. 

My main grip so far: show's not covered by wornontv.net and so I have no idea where the Queen got that killer coat from she was wearing at the end 🤣

• Love 7
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

Is there some screenwriters manual on how to write annoying teenagers that they all use? If so somebody should publish a revised edition. 

Chapter 1. Super Genius:  Doogie Howser + Young Sheldon

Chapter 2. Dumb: Nick [Family Ties]

Chapter 3. Young Republican: Alex Keaton + Carlton Banks

Chapter 4. Entitled Douche: Anybody from 90210 & Gossip Girl

Edited by paigow
  • LOL 7
17 hours ago, paigow said:

Chapter 1. Super Genius:  Doogie Howser + Young Sheldon

Chapter 2. Dumb: Nick [Family Ties]

Chapter 3. Young Republican: Alex Keaton + Carlton Banks

Chapter 4. Entitled Douche: Anybody from 90210 & Gossip Girl

Chapter 6. The Bad Boy: Jess (Gilmore Girls) 

Chapter 7. The Jerk: Eddie Haskell

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 2/8/2021 at 8:00 PM, Gillian Rosh said:

I don't know that they needed to give her a daughter.

Well, Robert McCall had a son but he was only in 12 episodes. He was an ass at the beginning too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/8/2021 at 5:58 PM, rr2911 said:

Why can't there be a new show about a female agent, cop, hitman, or whatever, who is a single mom, but have a different title?

I think they do that to get attention and bring more eyeballs to sample the show. A show with a previous fanbase will pull some of those people, where a new show without that hook will be trawling a random sample and not be as easily noticed in the avalanche of brand new shows. It's a way to boost the initial ratings.

On 2/8/2021 at 7:59 PM, tvfanatic13 said:

Well, I liked it. I guess I will sit at my really small table. 

I watched because Leslie Jones was loving it on her twitter. I figure, if Leslie Jones is at the table, no one should be feeling alone sitting there having a good time.

The trope I'm tired of is the drop dead gorgeous and highly accomplished woman with the schlubby looking husband. At least this time he's not a do-nothing bore. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, possibilities said:

The trope I'm tired of is the drop dead gorgeous and highly accomplished woman with the schlubby looking husband.

Assume he has qualities that are not immediately obvious.

• LOL 1