Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Chilly Reception

• Start Topic

Shockingly, I liked Mary TWICE this episode.  First, being dumbfounded by the oxygen therapy whatever with the aromatherapy (maybe?) component - do we want calm or vitality?  Second, just outright snickering watching Heather having a go at Jen.

• LOL 7

Heather's ex is a dud. Poor thing must have had negative self-esteem if she thought he was the best she could do. Her practically begging for an atta girl from him made me cringe. But their girls are delightful & seem to adore her. I was glad to see her looking happy & confident, although I could have done without the patented HW fight at an important (to a HW) event. At least Robin on HWoP shut down the Monique/Gisele nonsense at her open house. 

I loved Whitney's dress at the party, and while Heather's dress did show a few lumps, I thought she looked pretty & confident. I'm a size 4, but at 49-years old & having had 3 kids I'm not exactly lump free myself. Jen's faux (I hope) fur with the Gucci logo embedded was tacky AF. She still doesn't get why everyone has issues with her, and I hate that I share a name with her. But at least I do not have an 8 (or 1) member glam squad.

Mary fat-shaming the choir guitarist was so rude, especially since he was not overweight that I could tell. Not that it would have been alright if he were. And the picture of Grandma & Jesus was creepy. Reminds me of the Prince Harry & Meghan Markle stans who photoshopped Diana into pictures of them with baby Archie <shudder>

It's sad that Whitney has lost contact with her dad. He seemed skilled & personable at his beauty school audition. 

Meredith & Lisa need to stop making their kids happen. Lisa's little one doesn't have anywhere near the attention span to attend a marketing meeting (which is to be expected because he's 8!), & the older one just wants his car. Of course he knows nothing about the products because this is probably only his 2nd or 3rd time seeing them. And I realize that facial hair oil is all the hipster rage, but this child shaves once a month, if that. It will be years before he will have any experience with a beard, and I don't think he has been involved in any market testing. Maybe they can join forces with BrookS MarkS. Buy a BrookS MarkS original high-fashion masking tape track suit, and get a discount on the Fresh Wolf line. Giant fast food diet coke not included.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
15 hours ago, ichbin said:

When did the step and repeat become a thing?  I can understand it during a red carpet press event like the Academy Awards, but when they're set up at a private party it just looks stupid.

I remember a few years back when I was a senior-level staff at a science museum, a mom wanted to have a step-and-repeat at her 3 year old's birthday party and demanded we block off and reroute access to the planetarium for everyone else in order to make that happen (mind you, this was a $300 party).  I calmly told her no, because it was a fire hazard, but in my head I was giving her one of these:

source.gif

9 hours ago, TexasGal said:

Shockingly, I liked Mary TWICE this episode.  First, being dumbfounded by the oxygen therapy whatever with the aromatherapy (maybe?) component - do we want calm or vitality?  Second, just outright snickering watching Heather having a go at Jen.

The bolded made me laugh really hard, especially because it seemed like Mary was proud that her "plan", whatever that was, had worked. All that was missing was a talking head of her petting her cat sidekick.

giphy.gif

Whitney wearing the disposable masks and mocking one of the brunettes (I still can't tell them apart), is the only confessional all season that actually made me chuckle.  

I really like Heather and love that she's comfortable in her skin and showing her vulnerabilities. She comes across as the most down-to-earth and level headed of all the ladies.  Her fashion could be better, and she can work on that, but I'd hate to see her come back next season all glammed up with a size-able Shah Squad of her very own.  Speaking of, did we ever find out what it is Jen does that she requires 8 assistants????

• LOL 2
  • Love 14

Whitney putting the masks on her face was hilarious. 

I can't anymore with Jen and her excuses. The way she acts and reacts is everyone else's fault, or it's how she was raised or her culture. So your culture teaches you to throw glasses and scream at people? I truly wonder if she has always been like this or if this is an act for the camera.

I have to say that Coach Shah was a good dancer

• LOL 1
  • Love 16
2 hours ago, MaggieG said:

I can't anymore with Jen and her excuses. The way she acts and reacts is everyone else's fault, or it's how she was raised or her culture. So your culture teaches you to throw glasses and scream at people? I truly wonder if she has always been like this or if this is an act for the camera.

Or the way she was raised was permanently in need of a good spanking, which she never received!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 2/5/2021 at 7:28 AM, luckyroll3 said:

Speaking of, did we ever find out what it is Jen does that she requires 8 assistants????

I have no doubt that when the cameras are not rolling she is sans assistants...what they could do is sit on her when she starts with having one of her fits because someone might have unkowingly slighted her in some way or if she is having a fit because Coach did not pick up her call, one assistant hands her a glass of throwing wine, two assistants move the furniture out of the way for her to writhe around on the floor and then two assistants clean up the mess of broken glass and wine stains.  The remaining assistants find her mood evener pills and jam one down her gullet.

It takes a village to watch an idiot.

Edited by Baltimore Betty
one final thought added.
  • LOL 13
  • Love 2
47 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I have no doubt that when the cameras are not rolling she is sans assistants...what they could do is sit on her when she starts with having one of her fits because someone might have unkowingly slighted her in some way or if she is having a fit because Coach did not pick up her call, one assistant hands her a glass of throwing wine, two assistants move the furniture out of the way for her to writhe around on the floor and then two assistants clean up the mess of broken glass and wine stains.  The remaining assistants find her mood evener pills and jam one down her gullet.

It takes a village to watch an idiot.

I'm thinking they need a dart-gun for her. She could do some serious damage or take an eye out with those claws. 

• LOL 10
On 2/4/2021 at 9:47 AM, MerBearStare said:

I remember in the episode with the Met Gala lunch - with Valter! - the older man who was helping her set up placed one of the ear pod boxes upside down and she was like, "That's upside down. Can't you read?!" Seemed like she forgot she was on camera for a minute and showed her true self (not that her fake self was that much better). That's why, to me, Mary will always be so much worse than Jen, no matter how many obnoxious, violent temper tantrums Jen throws. Mary is a legitimately bad (not just Real Housewives bad) person who is scamming money out of her congregants to maintain her lifestyle, her house in Carmel, IN, and her ridiculous "closet" full of ugly clothes. 

Agree that the three of them need to go.

Come on, IRS. You've got some work here to do.......

• Love 14

Meredith's husband gives me the creeps!  There, I said it.  Is it just me or does he come off as a big fat ball of need?  Or maybe it's just that Meredith comes off as a big fat ball of "I'm over it"?  All of the men on this show are...strange.  I can't even find the words to describe them.  Come to think of it, the women are nothing to shake a stick at either.  Everyone on this show over 15 gives me the creeps!  There, I said it.

Edited by swankie
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, swankie said:

Meredith's husband gives me the creeps!  There, I said it.  Is it just me or does he come off as a big fat ball of need?  Or maybe it's just that Meredith comes off as a big fat ball of "I'm over it"?  All of the men on this show are...strange.  I can't even find the words to describe them.  Come to think of it, the women are nothing to shake a stick at either.  Everyone on this show over 15 gives me the creeps!  There, I said it.

I think he’s high everytime he’s on camera (definitely in that banana scene- was that supposed to be a flirty moment between those two? 🙄)

• LOL 4
On 2/4/2021 at 8:33 AM, njbchlover said:

EDITED TO ADD:  He also probably told her to wear that stupid face cover thing, too.  I've only ever seen those things worn by models on a runway, during a collection fashion show.  (This was filmed before COVID, correct?  Not that that facecover would provide any type of protection!)  

I did have to laugh when someone said ‘you wear it like a mask’ and COVID-19 isn’t even a factor yet, in the timeline of the show.

I sincerely believe this won’t be back.  There is no reason for more than one hour of reunion.  There were just no solid story lines, other than Whitney’s dad (who by the previews appears to be a problem again) and Jen.  I don’t need three hours of Jen, but I would like the update on Whitney’s dad.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, b2H said:

I did have to laugh when someone said ‘you wear it like a mask’ and COVID-19 isn’t even a factor yet, in the timeline of the show.

I sincerely believe this won’t be back.  There is no reason for more than one hour of reunion.  There were just no solid story lines, other than Whitney’s dad (who by the previews appears to be a problem again) and Jen.  I don’t need three hours of Jen, but I would like the update on Whitney’s dad.

It was renewed for a second season. Whether or not they’ll all be back is up in the air but the show will be back

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

That crazy fake "business meeting" with the kids--and whichever one of these zoo apes it was; they're too boring to keep straight--was disturbing on so many levels, but are there still parents out there who allow their children to suck big gulps down their gullets?? Were these the same nitwits who bragged about going through fast food drive throughs as if they were dining at The French Laundry? Poor silly rubes. I guess they don't know any better. Smh.

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, StevieRocks said:

That crazy fake "business meeting" with the kids--and whichever one of these zoo apes it was; they're too boring to keep straight--was disturbing on so many levels, but are there still parents out there who allow their children to suck big gulps down their gullets?? Were these the same nitwits who bragged about going through fast food drive throughs as if they were dining at The French Laundry? Poor silly rubes. I guess they don't know any better. Smh.

This family really bugs the crap out of me.  Well, not sure about the husband.  He doesn't say a lot.  But the zoo apes and their main female handler are awful.  And not in a so awful I love them sort of way.  Just bad.  There is also nothing cute and quirky about bragging about your shitty diet.    

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 2/4/2021 at 2:29 PM, greeneyedscorpio said:

I actually lol'd.  

I have a huge sweet tooth and I wanted all the pretty pink cupcakes, donuts, cookies, cotton candy at the opening.  Mmmmmmm.  

I also thought, aside from the fact that the dress was too tight, that Heather looked really nice at her opening.  I don't think we can underscore enough how big a deal it is for a woman in the church who stayed home with her kids (not knocking it, I did it too, happily), had no career and is now a single mom to be able to pick herself up from the conditioning in the church and become a small business owner.  I'm happy for her. (Saying that as a former member of 52 years, having recently left)

I like Heather.  I like her ambition.  I congratulate her on her career.  HOWEVER, she has a lot of financial support, and that is really the hardest part about starting your own business.  You have to have the drive and the ideas but really you have to have the money.  She didn't have to decide between ice skating lessons for her kids OR pouring the money into her business.  She never had to worry about paying a mortgage or putting food on the table.  

Making money is EASIEST when you already have it.  That is a fact.

I wanted to like Lisa, as I am one of "those" moms that don't actually really cook for their kids.  There is a lot of heating up... I have recently started Blue Apron.  I also love her spotless house, and I have 2 boys... But I digress...  I really really don't like her.  She is on the show for the instagram followers and that is it.  At least when Vicki (OC) was complaining that she works works works all of the time, we had other things to laugh AT her about.  Lisa gives us nothing!

I checked out the Lone Wolf howl or whatever brand and it's kinda pricey for kid products, like $20 for a little tub.  I almost bought it just out of curiosity, but decided not to.  I will pay a lot for hair stuff for myself, but not for my 11 year old.  Crew works for him!

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

Lisa haters need to back off! She gave us not just one—but TWO—iconic quotes!

”I love that!”

”Can I touch?”

I kid, I kid! Although, I don’t have the same disdain I have for her as I do for Mary and Jen Shah, I understand why she may not be a fan favorite. ( I do love her hair though.) 

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Duke2801 said:

”I love that!”

”Can I touch?”

I kid, I kid! Although, I don’t have the same disdain I have for her as I do for Mary and Jen Shah, I understand why she may not be a fan favorite. ( I do love her hair though.) 

I hope when they do Lisa's package during the reunion it's just a montage of "I love that."

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

I've been watching all season and keep hoping this show is going to go beyond a bunch of "ladies" trying to out-rich themselves and devolve into fighting at any social gathering, but 13 episodes in, I have pretty much abandoned those hopes.  I admit to not watching any other Housewives show and tuned into this because I have a home in Utah and will be moving there permanently later this year.  I will say that it looks as if almost all of this show is filmed in Park City, which is NOT SLC, and is home to many well-heeled people as well as people who want to appear well-heeled and are into impressing others with their material wealth. So I get annoyed when nearly every scene opens with ethereal music and panning to large Mormon Temples that are NOT in Park City. I like the scenery. The women not so much.

Heather is wearing her divorce like a mantle of courage and needs to let it go. Honey, lots of people get divorced. I'm sure it's hard and bruised your ego. But years have passed and you need to move on. Besides, that ex of yours really seems to be missing a few essential traits- like a personality.  You don't need to announce at your grand re-opening that oh, by the way, you went through a divorce.  Celebrate your victories for what they are. Your children are watching.

In addition, despite her leaps and bounds in business, Heather is massively insecure in her relationships with these women- especially Jen. She recognizes that the friendship (if you can call it that) is toxic and she should dump Jen, but then in the next scene she's crying about how Jen hurt her and groveling for her affections.

Speaking of Jen, I'm not sure why anyone wastes any of their time trying to help her or maintain a relationship with her because she is beyond help without a professional and a pharmacist.  She hides behind her excuses of "if you hurt my family," and "growing up in Utah where it's all white" and allows herself to massively misbehave just because she gets offended easily.

I can't get beyond watching Meredith slumping around and talking with  half of her mouth in the "live" scenes, and in her talking heads she drones on so slowly it's painful. 

Every one of these women has been told, apparently, that the theme of this show is: "You're in Mormon Country and we're going to show the audience how badass and rebellious you are." They need to stop talking about how cute it is to break the rules.  Or maybe they just need to stop being filmed because they are embarrassing themselves.  Most of the conversation, if they are not fighting or accusing each other of wrongdoing, consists of "You look wonderful!"  All of the "Meredith told me that you said this about Whitney; you need to pick her as a friend and not be disloyal to me" is way too hard to follow (and I don't care) and needed to be left behind in middle school.

• Love 7

Meredith looked like she was going to the opera with Hannibal Lecter. That mask was wearing her.

Why does Mary always look like she's wearing everything from her closet all at once?

I can't help but like crazy Jen a little bit. Cracked me up when she said something like "Hurry up & finish talking, there are some cookies over there I want to eat..."

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 2/4/2021 at 10:40 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

Brooks had something to do with it, he had to, right? Will we see those masks in the the next all one track suit runway show?

Did we all notice the two sparkles glued on to her eye lids?

Isn't Meredith the one with the jewelry line, why is she not wearing/promoting the doo doo out of it?

Your post prompted me to look at her line & wow, it's really beautiful. Incredibly pricey, but so lovely...

• Love 3
On 2/9/2021 at 4:08 AM, Duke2801 said:

”I love that!”

”Can I touch?”

I like Lisa. Her dead pan, monotone delivery in the "Can I touch?" scene had me laughing like a hyena!  And don't forget Meredith's "I'm disengaging." 🤣

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, IslandGirl said:

Mary's too tiny to successfully pull off her wardrobe. She ends up looking like an over accessorized hanger with a bad wig...

And everything has the March of the Wooden Soldiers buttons. 

It is okay she is too tiny to pull off that horrible wardrobe, being bigger would not help that collection of shmatas.

• LOL 5

Welp, I stuck with it for the entire season, and it still hasn't shaken off the Stepford Wives vibe for me. Blondie has her "sauciness" dial turned up too high, Jen's just gone full malfunction.

But. I'm developing a Meredith obsession. How can anyone be that confident!? Like genuine, right to the core, full on belief that she cannot ever do anything wrong, in spite of evidence to the contrary. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 2/8/2021 at 9:31 PM, goofygirl said:

But will you buy a Brooks Marks track suit is the question heatherchandler!

LOL!

OMG he literally has 3 options to purchase his track suits online and 2 of the options are sold out.  I CANNOT believe that people paid money to buy his crap!  Maybe he only had like 3 pants and that's why they sold out??

When searching for his crap - I found this and now I want it -

https://www.etsy.com/listing/933487301/real-housewives-of-salt-lake-city-rhoslc?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=Real+Housewives+of+Salt+Lake+City+RHOSLC+Unisex+Sweatshirt+-+Meredith+Marks+Brooks+Marks&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&organic_search_click=1

On 2/9/2021 at 6:08 AM, Duke2801 said:

”I love that!”

”Can I touch?”

I will admit that I have been saying "I love that" in my real life.  I am like what is wrong with me?

• LOL 7

7 hours ago, Jel said:

But. I'm developing a Meredith obsession. How can anyone be that confident!? Like genuine, right to the core, full on belief that she cannot ever do anything wrong, in spite of evidence to the contrary. 

Other posters have suggested that she's stoned in all of her scenes 😄 

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, GrammyPammy said:

Most “good” Mormon men are like that. Vanilla.

I don't know many Mormon men, but the Mormon women I know have big personalities! I wonder why there's such a difference...

Edited by IslandGirl