Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Sorrowsworn

(edited)

Good to see Linder. He is so strange, yet familiar. His anger is explosive and violent. I find him fascinating. I don't know if Eva should run from him or use him to keep safe.

Marco and Sonya should have told that woman to take her son and flee after he identified Eleanor who is one sick freak. The kid was lucky as hell. 

Cesar was right not to run from Fausto. There is no point. I wonder who is going after Fausto. 

That poor guy. These people are so heartless.

I forgot to mention how much I laughed when Sonya told the guy that it was not as good for her this time.Talk about brutal honesty. Ha.

Oh, I felt for the horse too.

Edited by SimoneS

Eleanor definitely has some issues with males once they've hit puberty. Dex was spared because he wet himself and in her eyes, he was still a child.

(edited)

Ray was ridiculous, but hilarious with his stereotyping bs about he and Charlotte going to Alaska because Mexicans don't like the cold along with his suggestion that they act like white people and disappear while their lawyers handle everything. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3

So you're saying that "The deformed mutants and odd-ball psychotics will have their place in my Legions of Terror. However before I send them out on important covert missions that require tact and subtlety, I will first see if there is anyone else equally qualified who would attract less attention."

• Love 1

Man, at this point, I feel bad for anyone out there that uses those chemical barrels for legit reasons.  Because thanks to Breaking Bad and pretty much any crime/mafia show I watch, I automatically assume that anyone buying those is to hide bodies.

Glad to see Sonya and Marco officially working together again.  Still in the early stages, but they've already got that rapport going again, that I enjoy.  But I'm still wondering if working for Fausto is somehow going to cause Marco to have to go against her and Hank.

Eleanor is still a freak, but apparently a freak, who won't harm someone she considers still a "child."  Never though I would say this, but that guy picked the best time to piss his pants

Linder is back!  I missed that man and that crazy beard.  As soon as that guy gave him a free rock, I knew he was going to hit someone with it.

Also got to check in with Charlotte again.  Glad that both Caesar and Ray are back too.  Loved that Caesar continues to have a good head on his shoulders, and Ray continues to be an hilarious idiot.  Never change, Ray.

Oh, Daniel and Adriana.  What have you gotten yourselves into?

We're only three episodes in, but I'm pretty sure Diane Kruger has already shown her ass more then she did during the entire first season.  I wonder if that this show's way to try and make this season more "sexy."

• Love 2

Did she not kill the boy because he wet himself or did he want him to tell the police where to find Kyle's body so that she could see what she's up against?

(edited)

Did she not kill the boy because he wet himself or did he want him to tell the police where to find Kyle's body so that she could see what she's up against?

I think both. His fear causing him to pee on himself did appear to rouse her from her trance-like state and recognize that he was a child not a lecherous man, then she seemed to deliberately give him a hint that a smart cop could use to find Kyle's body. I was actually afraid that they would also find the body of the day laborer who helped her move the barrel.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

I think ms crazy-cardigan lady has a plan.

She has issues, that's for sure, but whatever she does she acts based on a master plan.

Thats why she is keep leaving evident after her. She left the dog to the car with her dead associate and the car running to be found easily, she told Kyle's friend where to find him.

Nothing of this was spontaneous. She was there being sure the police would find the butterflies place. She wants police attention.

It remains to find out why.

I also wonder about the pin on her chest..the tattoo she "pinned" is a Medusa..

Did she pin it just to inflict pain? Or she pinned one of her daemons ?

in Greek mythology Medusa was a priestess of goddess Athena that was raped by Posseidon. When Athena learned the news she transformed the beautiful priestess to a monster, everyone who was looking at Medusa was petrified (literally).

I

• Love 1

I think I missed a scene or something, how did Marco and Sonya knew where to find that storage unit? where did Eleanor got the old Mercedes car? I need to take notes next time.

DrLar, Eleanor had told the boy that Kyle was with the butterflies, and Sonya remembered a place where Monarchs stopped on their migration. 

I didn't notice an old Mercedes.  I thought she still had the van she stole from Kyle's family.  Maybe Jaime is dead in the van and she stole the Mercedes.  ??

Not the barrel with the kid inside, but the storage unit where they found Kyle's clothes and the card..

Whose storage unit was that? Kyle's family? Eleanor's? I'm going to have to re-watch..

Not the barrel with the kid inside, but the storage unit where they found Kyle's clothes and the card..

Whose storage unit was that? Kyle's family? Eleanor's? I'm going to have to re-watch..

Mustachioed detective (whose name I don't remember) told Sonya and Marco of a report that Eleanor and Kyle had been seen at the storage units.

(edited)
I forgot to mention how much I laughed when Sonya told the guy that it was not as good for her this time.Talk about brutal honesty. Ha.

I know! I also loved the guy's initial reaction: "Uh..."

Sometimes Linder mumbles too much, and I can't understand what he's saying even on rewinds. I wish he'd speak a bit more clearly.

Ray continues to be an hilarious idiot.  Never change, Ray.

Brian Van Holt does a great job of not making Ray a cartoon while keeping him cartoonish.

I was actually afraid that they would also find the body of the day laborer who helped her move the barrel.

I expect they will. Eleanor doesn't like loose ends.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1

About Linder mumbling, yeah I think this way is a bit more realistic, I've known people that are hard to understand, if he's playing one of these characters, then he's right on point, the moment he begins to talk clearly then it becomes less believable. I say bravo to the actor, he must have something inside his mouth all the time to talk like this

Jaime was "not right" so by implication mentally a child. I think he'll turn up alive. Eleanor seems to know that the authorities are aware of her identity and is taunting them by leaving victims' bodies for them to find. She kills more to punish lecherous males than to cover up the murders. Just as she keeps cartel accounts, she inflicts her own version of divine wrath on them. The Medusa reference is apt. I'll bet Eleanor was once raped as well.

• Love 1

Man Sonya had to come up with the ackward line of the week... "Sorry, it wasn't as good as the first time", I could almost see the guy's penis broke in half but she corrected right away it was her, not him.

I was going to argue against Tara's review/conclusion that Mennonite Lady Breaking Bad is too psycho for cartel work, because I thought all the characters' questions about how a women could rise in the cartel implied that she was doing all the crazy mayhem to gain street cred. But y'all have convinced me otherwise--that she is motivated by her own inner demons and the street cred she gains is just extra.

So, if she is the avenging angel of death on behalf of sexually assaulted women, will her path cross with the ranch, and will she be merciful to Linder and friends?

Ok, I'm still confused. What does Daniel's and Adriana's investigation and the two dead cross dressers have to do with Fausto and/or Eleanor? Why is Fausto looking for Eleanor and who is she working for?

Does the fact that Eleanor is a Mennonite have anything to do with the Ranch o' Previously Fallen Women?

(edited)

I know! I also loved the guy's initial reaction: "Uh..."

I would have laughed out loud had he replied, "Yeah, you're right"

She kills more to punish lecherous males than to cover up the murders.

I tend to agree.  Remember, her associate made the offhand comment about getting a new dress, and "I could offer my thoughts".  Perhaps her definition of lecherous is somewhat encyclopediac.  Also, killing Javier would be counter productive, as she made a point of choosing him under the gaze of several witnesses, who would all remember the oddly dressed lady who picked the least likely worker from the bunch.

The first cross dresser was related to the woman who was picked to rent the safe house.  The second guy was his friend and therefore a target.  I think Fausto killed them to remove any connection between him and the safe house, and by inference the DEA mole who got the family asylum in the first place.  I think Eleanor is stepping on Fausto's toes, (she killed his guy) and he doesn't like it.

Was the $60 million dollars outgoing from drug sales, or incoming to buy drugs from suppliers?

Nice to hear someone down there (the jewelry salesman) likes Doc Watson's music too.  Cute choice, too.  The title to that song (an old old folk song) is Froggy Went A'Courting.

Edited by Dowel Jones

Why is Fausto looking for Eleanor and who is she working for?

Does the fact that Eleanor is a Mennonite have anything to do with the Ranch o' Previously Fallen Women?

My understanding of Eleanor's situation is that she's worked for Fausto's cartel for some time - but then there was some major incident in the season premiere. We still don't know what happened, exactly, but the end result was that Eleanor's assistant was dead, and Eleanor was washing blood off her body at a carwash.

It sounds like since then, Eleanor's gone rogue, and so Fausto's trying to track her down.

There may be some thematical parallels between Eleanor's religious faith, and the religious beliefs of the guy who runs the ranch, but there hasn't been any indication that there are actual ties between her and the ranch.

• Love 1

The stash house that had the $60 million (or whatever the amount was) is also tied to Eleanor somehow. Wasn't the mix-up/botched job there why she killed the courier?

We saw Eleanor call Lyle Lovett. Isn't he connected to Fausto somehow? Or is Lyle connected to another cartel? I kind of lost track in the break of who's working with whom.

I agree there's likely no connection between Eleanor and the ranch. She'd probably approve its mission, though.

I could watch a whole show about Ray being an idiot, screwing around all over the drug scene, while Caesar rolls his eyes and sighs. This show has the best odd couple pairings.  

Linder! I missed you and your amazing beard!

I already like Eleanor more than last years Big Bad (if she is being set up as this years big villain). She is a seriously scary lady. I guess you would have to be to be a woman who has risen so high in a cartel. She does seem to have some issues with men though. Maybe she was one of the girls who disappeared at some point?  

The scene where the cross dresser was killed was surprisingly affecting.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Scrb,  I think that Eleanor didn't kill the child because he wouldn't touch her and said he didn't want to.  One thing that has been consistent about her character is that men who touch her get hurt or killed.  In the first episode she flinched when Yovani touched her on the street; he later was found dead in the Prius.  The bank assistant touched her and spilled tea, and he had his ear cut off.  Kyle said he wanted to touch her, and when he finally did we know what happened to him.  Probably she chose the dull laborer because he wasn't leering or looking at her like the others and she may have thought he wasn't interested in touching her.

It's like Eleanor is the anti-Sonya, although the two possess some interesting parallels.  The first time we saw Sonya this season she was swimming.  When she was accidentally bumped by another swimmer, we saw her flinch and panic at the touch.  That seemed significant.  All of this relates to repressed sexual aggression I suppose, but touch is the metaphor I'm watching this season in both of them.  I expect we'll find out that if Eleanor is truly a "shunned Mennonite" and if that wasn't just an offhand comment on her dress, that she was shunned by the community due to acting out sexual behavior.

Truly, I have no real idea but it's fun to speculate.

Edited by pelicanlover
  • Love 1

The nexus for all the plot threads does appear to be the cash house Adriana and Daniel discovered. Without a robust money-laundering operation cartels can't function. Eleanor is the accountant sent to make sure the cops don't connect the dots and to set the system to rights. Her issues with predatory males then ties her in thematically to the continuing subplot from S1 concerning the missing girls.

In the midst of this chaos an interloper is trying to move in on Fausto's drug business

• Love 1

"The scene where the cross dresser was killed was surprisingly affecting." Tennis Gurl, I wholly agree. I thought he was an interesting character and hoped for more scenes with him. Don't quite understand why he had to be killed, but then I often don't see the killing reasons in this show.

I hate to say it, because I loved her as Lola, and Marie in the Bourne films, but I wish Eleanor were being played by someone other than Franka Potente. The last two (including this one) of her characters have been killers and I just don't like her as a killer. But that's just my response.

Who's playing Eva? She's absolutely gorgeous. Have we seen her close up before?

And Linder continues to perplex, while being absolutely engaging.

• Love 1

Without a robust money-laundering operation cartels can't function.

And the ranch is part of that as well. I'm sure there's something that has to be done to cook the books on that place because in reality, as an actual ranch it hemorrhages money so there's probably something being done (this is probably Lyle Lovett's job) to have it make sense that they're still in business. It's probably one of the businesses being used to launder money through in addition to having the tunnel.

The nexus for all the plot threads does appear to be the cash house Adriana and Daniel discovered. 

If I remember well, Daniel got a tip from someone for the Cash house, and then another.

So who sends tips to Daniel? Is it the DA? Is it Eleanor? Some of Fausto's rivals?

Maybe it is the same person who tipped the Biker boys to steal from Ray and Caesar? 

I liked the scene between Marco and Sonya when they were on their way to the butterfly place.  In her blunt and awkward way she asks him if he thinks about his son, and he says of course he does, but he says it in that slightly exasperated but very patient way he has with Sonya.  He knows she has a big hurt inside her, just as he does, and she's trying hard to communicate her hurt, but it's so very difficult for her.  And he tells her how he sometimes senses his son's spirit, and the spirit seems to comfort him.  For Marco, this was a very significant thing, for him to tell her something so personal, and so deep. 

Then when they took the lid off the barrel and Kyle is submerged in that liquid, it was a terrible harkening back to Sonya reaching into the tank of water to pull out Marco's son.  For me, it was upsetting.

• Love 3

Did that money get turned over to the cops?

Forget who found the money.  Maybe they're having a good time if they didn't turn it in.

BTW has there ever been a female serial killer, especially who kills with her hands rather than using guns?

It's a difficult conceit the show is trying to pull off.  She might have caught the henchman by surprise but you get the sense that she's going to leave a trail of blood and it's not always going to be unsuspecting teens.

BTW has there ever been a female serial killer, especially who kills with her hands rather than using guns?

While most serial killers are male, there have definitely been female serial killers. The most famous one of recent times was probably Aileen Wuornos, who Charlize Theron played in Monster.

Their most common weapon is poison, rather than guns. But there are some who have used more hands-on methods. An example from Mexico would be Juana Barraza, who was convicted of strangling 11 elderly women to death - and it's suspected that she had a total of 25-50 victims.

(edited)

...Kyle said he wanted to touch her, and when he finally did we know what happened to him. Probably she chose the dull laborer because he wasn't leering or looking at her like the others and she may have thought he wasn't interested in touching her.

I expect we'll find out that if Eleanor is truly a "shunned Mennonite" and if that wasn't just an offhand comment on her dress, that she was shunned by the community due to acting out sexual behavior.

Truly, I have no real idea but it's fun to speculate.

Maybe she was "shunned" because she was raped? I suppose there might be a Mennonite sect that practices that.

And the ranch is part of that as well. I'm sure there's something that has to be done to cook the books on that place because in reality, as an actual ranch it hemorrhages money so there's probably something being done (this is probably Lyle Lovett's job) to have it make sense that they're still in business. It's probably one of the businesses being used to launder money through in addition to having the tunnel.

It would be kind of awesome if Charlotte and Ray do run away to Alaska, and then the cartel tells Cesar he needs to run the place now. Since the show needs Charlotte and Ray to continue to show up, they could come back from Alaska when the snow flies and find themselves working for Cesar. Heh.

Then when they took the lid off the barrel and Kyle is submerged in that liquid, it was a terrible harkening back to Sonya reaching into the tank of water to pull out Marco's son. For me, it was upsetting.

I had forgotten about that, but you are so right. Did Marco ever see that?

Meaning of the episode title, "Sorrowsworn," from http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Sorrowsworn_demon:

Creatures of loss, Sorrowsworn demons appear only after a war or battle has finished. They prey on the feelings of great sorrow that permeate a region after the loss of its youth and promise.

Edited by shapeshifter
(edited)

shapeshifter:  No, Marco didn't witness his son in the tank. I think he was on the bridge confronting the guy who had kidnapped Marco's family and then taken his son, but I know he wasn't at the tank scene.

Edited by daughtersofanarchy
  • Love 1

Yeah, Marco was on the bridge when that happened, because I remember Sonya had to calm him down and try and hide the death from him, but her inability to successfully deceive, gave the game away.  I remember that leading to him almost shooting David Tate on the spot, but I can't remember if he was talked down, or if he was physically stopped.

If I remember well, Daniel got a tip from someone for the Cash house, and then another.

So who sends tips to Daniel? Is it the DA? Is it Eleanor? Some of Fausto's rivals?

Maybe it is the same person who tipped the Biker boys to steal from Ray and Caesar? 

I think they discovered the cash house by accident.  They were sent to do a fluff piece on the old woman, who was of an advanced age (100+?), but she had died of a stroke or something.  Daniel and Adriana see her collapsed on the floor, then break into the house to help.  They stumble upon the piles of cash in a spare room.

• Love 1

Dude! When the apartment smells like something died, it's because there is a dead body! That means turn around and leave, not poke around in the dark until you stumble across the body!

Oh, Dex. Being a chicken shit has now saved you twice! Based on the way that Eleanor looked at Kyle's brother in the previous episode and then spared Dex after he peed himself, I guess she has a soft spot for prepubescent children.

Linder aka Mumbles still freaks me out a little, but every once in a while I can get behind his decisions. This week was one of those times. Eva was put through hell and she knows that justice would never be served legally, so I'm okay with Linder going all vigilante on that guy, especially since he was creeping around looking for her. I kind of love that the other guy was in the middle of a one-sided conversation with him when Linder returned and beat the crap out of him.

Damn it, Bobby Cobb. I thought you had more sense. When you are driving in the middle of nowhere and you see a bunch of weirdos in animal masks riding their bikes surround you, your response should not be to stop. You are in a big ass truck so just keep on driving. They will never catch up to you on their bikes!

Eleanor has her own Hodor now. That poor guy.

We saw Eleanor call Lyle Lovett. Isn't he connected to Fausto somehow? Or is Lyle connected to another cartel? I kind of lost track in the break of who's working with whom.

Lyle Lovett is connected to Fausto. He is the guy who Bobby Cobb and Charlotte met with last season regarding the contract to use the tunnel.

I love how practical Caesar is.

• Love 1

I wonder if Eleanor killed Lyle Lovett's character or if he killed Fausto's enforcer and Eleanor barely got away? I cannot think of any other explanations for why the bodygaurd is dead and Eleanor is running around bloody and naked.

Eleanor was washing blood off her body at a carwash

You know, that would be most painful considering the pressure involved.  Then again, it might be cathartic for her.  I hope she had enough quarters.

• Love 1

You know, that would be most painful considering the pressure involved.  Then again, it might be cathartic for her.  I hope she had enough quarters.

Not to mention cold.  Can't get a hot shower at a car wash.