Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E06: Disco-Mentary

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Is this the first dance only challenge? I feel like in past challenges when they had to dance, there was some other element involved (like writing their own lyrics) or lip synching to pre-written lyrics.

There was a ballet challenge in Season 5 that Alyssa Edwards won that was danced to a voice-over narration of Ru's life story.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Yes! And they are definitely on YouTube, I may or may not rewatch on a regular basis LOL. But it was nice to see him pop up on Drag Race, as being a queer POC was an important part of his identity as a dancer.

Yay, I'm off to rewatch Step It Up and Dance. I'll pretend I don't know who's going to be cut each week!

28 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

The Ramones were around before that.

Yes, as was Iggy Pop, etc etc. But the Punk movement in music refers to a particular time period, regardless of its earlier roots. If you want to get really pedantic, disco was also around in the 60s.

• Love 2

I would say punk and disco were pretty concurrent genres in the mainstream or at least New York scene, and disco slightly predates official punk. The first issue of Punk magazine came out in 1976 and had an editorial about "Death to Discoshit!" which means the backlash to disco was beginning, and it was picking up momentum toward the Studio 54 total white co-option of disco culture and performers. Disco was originally black, gay, and underground music, and punk was the white, macho, underground counterpart. They had crossover influences, I'd say, and definitely a crossover crowd at times. For instance, Divine was totally a punk rock kind of drag queen and was a regular at Studio 54. Punk historians consider punk to be "dead" by 1978 and the golden era of post-punk music running from about 1978-1983. Yes, bands like the Ramones were still very active during that time and after, but they were no longer the hot new pioneers. My point is they were contemporaries, more or less, and probably informed each other more than Punk Magazine would've liked to admit.

(I have a list of books that I consider excellent reading when it comes to the punk/post-punk and disco developments, and then of course, Tom and Lorenzo's Legendary Children about the influences on Drag Race, but I can get really carried away about it.)

Edited by Rai
  • Useful 5
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, Christine said:

Am I the only one watching this who caught KM saying that Gloria Gayhor was dead?  When she said that one was in "Mahogany" and the other one was dead?  Gloria is very much alive.

The nerve...

No it was Donna Summer that she said was dead (she did pass away a few years ago) 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, Christine said:

Am I the only one watching this who caught KM saying that Gloria Gayhor was dead?  When she said that one was in "Mahogany" and the other one was dead?  Gloria is very much alive.

The nerve...

She was talking about the difference between Diana Ross and Donna Summer.  I hope the casting company doesn't go so young in the next seasons; these queens (not Mother Tamisha!) don't know anything.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Tina Burner's got to be about 40, right? I would have thought she'd know who Charles Nelson Reilly is.

I get that a lot of 40-year-olds probably have no idea who he is. But considering Tina's super-campy aesthetic and retro pop culture references (dressing like Bette Midler in Big Business, for example), I'd think she'd be aware.

• Love 5

I was just looking at the chart on Wikipedia.  I'm outraged anew that Tamisha is gone.  That this was the sixth episode made it seem like she had a higher placement than she did.  11th of 13!  I think not.

I know less about punk than I should.  Perhaps that should be the next underwhelming musical challenge?  Educate the children, mother!  😉

7 hours ago, film noire said:

...We'll always have Mariah Paris Balenciaga? ; )

This is hysterical.  I cackled so much it frightened the cats.

50 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

Tina Burner's got to be about 40, right? I would have thought she'd know who Charles Nelson Reilly is.

Yes, she is 39.  For shame.

• Love 2

I have to admit to now knowing who Sylvester was, and I grew up right smack dab in the middle of the disco era.  I do know who Charles Nelson Reilly is (was?).

I really didn't know much about the Disco Sucks movement, with the exception of knowing it happened, until I watched a show on the BeeGees recently and they showed footage of the record burning.  Personally still love some good disco.

Edited by RoxiP
On 2/6/2021 at 2:47 PM, marinite said:

Now that I’ve calmed down a bit, but I’m still going to swear.

I effin hate KM (she does not deserve to have her name spelled out) : ugly on the inside and out, indecipherable word garbage, muddy makeup, and lazy & sloppy looks. And I thought Silky was one of the worst...

Loved Olivia’s disco outfit and attitude. I’m glad she won.

Ronald McDonald can leave anytime.

Gottmik should have been in the bottom. That was a ridiculous “outfit.“

Utica needs to practice her movements in front of a mirror because they are like a clumsy praying mantis on speed.

I’d like to see Tamisha again.

DITTO every single word

• Love 1

I have grown so weary of The Kandy Show

So, are they just going to recycle the same guest judges over and over due to Covid restrictions?

I'm surprised by how much I'm liking Rose!  At the beginning of the competition, I definitely thought they'd be the backstabber/mean girl.  (Also, superficial note: not my type at all, but I find them strangely attractive, both in and out of drag. RuPaul's Drag Race: Making me question my sexual preferences since 2009!)  

I don't know if she deserved the win necessarily, but Olivia is gorgeous, inside and out!  I just love her.  

I like Utica, but I'm glad they finally called her out on her cartoonish expressions. It'll be interesting to see if she can absorb and implement the critique.

I never noticed this before, but I kind of love that my closed captioning spells it "werkroom." 

Edited by ladle
  • Love 5
On 2/6/2021 at 12:38 AM, Adeejay said:

Tamisha probably wanted to go home, otherwise she would not have confessed to being unwell, knowing it would get back to the producers. Hence her elimination.

Face it-Tamisha was never going to win.  The judges were always very careful to give her praise whenever possible, but they clearly thought she was of a previous era, not the future of drag.  It was only a matter of time until she was eliminated-it's just annoying to see her go before Kandy.  The judges, for some reason, do seem to think that Kandy has something to contribute.

Tamisha was very smart about her elimination, though.  She all but dared the producers not to invite her back for All Stars. And now everyone knows what additional obstacles she was facing during the competition. In the meantime, she'll have additional time to heal, and perhaps her ostomy can even be reversed.  As others have said, her career will certainly increase from this. 

On 2/6/2021 at 12:58 AM, 853fisher said:

The feedback she got about cutting back on the shtick a little during the challenges was on point.

If this was the first time Utica was told this, it's really not fair.  If it wasn't the first time, then she deserves the criticism.

On 2/6/2021 at 4:05 AM, Gothish520 said:

I thought Elliott looked gorgeous on the runway.

I agree, but that's not the standard.  The judges wanted the "little black dress" to be more than just beautiful.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 3

I enjoyed watching the queens choose their partner for the challenges.  And glad that the two "leftovers" won the mini-challenge.  The prize didn't sound so great, though... $2500 worth of wallpaper and decor?

What does Symone use to make her arms and legs look so shiny?  On Untucked, when Symone was on the suede (?) sofa, I wondered if she was drenched in oil that would stain the sofa.

As much as I like Tamisha and dislike Kandy, I thought Kandy did the LSFYL better.  The song is messy and imo it needed a messy performance.  Tamisha was too reserved for this song.

Coming next week... ugh. I hate the Bossy Rossy talk show challenges.  Just a lot of screaming and hurt.

• Love 1
On 2/7/2021 at 11:36 AM, Blakeston said:

I get that a lot of 40-year-olds probably have no idea who he is. But considering Tina's super-campy aesthetic and retro pop culture references (dressing like Bette Midler in Big Business, for example), I'd think she'd be aware.

That was Rosé.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
3 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Oh, right. I should have known that Tina didn't come up with anything that clever.

Tina’s historic camp knowledge was in the Mommie Dearest references she made during the acting challenge. And I suppose that gaudy “train conductress” runway and hairdo she walked out in.

13 hours ago, Just Carol said:

I enjoyed watching the queens choose their partner for the challenges.  And glad that the two "leftovers" won the mini-challenge.  The prize didn't sound so great, though... $2500 worth of wallpaper and decor?

Spoonflower also sells fabric (and anyone can upload designs to make custom fabric). That’s probably more useful than the wallpaper. 

• Love 3
On 2/6/2021 at 9:02 AM, belligerent said:

LaLa and Olivia are a couple of my favorites. They just seem like such lovely people. "Lux" is such a good name for her, because she really does embody radiance.

They do seem like sweethearts. And Olivia is just gorgeous. I won't be watching, but I'll still be rooting for both of them even though LaLa is rightfully toast in the next sewing challenge. If Olivia can make it through Snatch Game I see her going to the end.

On 2/6/2021 at 11:24 AM, howiveaddict said:

Thesemean girls would have been the boogers

This should be said. I mean, they named themselves the Mean Girls. How inspired.

I don't know what Ru's fascination is with Kandy. There are lots of loud queens, lots of obnoxious queens, and lots of arrogant queens. Some of them are even talented! It makes no sense. But when he stood there cackling like a loon in the workroom for a full minute, just because Kandy confused one thing for another? All hope for a watchable season died. I know it's not really a competition, but maybe be a little less obvious about yours.

• Love 5

I figured out what annoys me the most about Kandy: I have a friend/former co-worker who is a local queen, who has applied at least three times. Granted, the first time, she was rough and unpolished, but she's come a very long way. I helped her with feedback, brainstorming, gave her my dress form (and tried to give her my sewing machine, but she got one for Christmas before I could!) I had a huge list of suggestions for Snatch Game, we narrowed it down together. She didn't make Season 12, and I think her feedback from TPTB was to level up on social media, because she's done that. Even during the pandemic she's worked a lot, some virtually and some social distanced events. To be fair, she did leave our workplace for another opportunity, so I don't know for sure if she applied for S13, but if she did, and Kandy is there and she's not? Oh hell no. I will have to find out if she just skipped applying for 13 because of the pandemic. When she would be down on herself and tell herself she would never make it on, I would reply with "Uh, Serena Cha-Cha?" Now I will have to say "Uh, Kandy Muse?"

• Love 3
On 2/8/2021 at 2:40 PM, Just Carol said:

What does Symone use to make her arms and legs look so shiny?  On Untucked, when Symone was on the suede (?) sofa, I wondered if she was drenched in oil that would stain the sofa.

I was actually more concerned about Gottmik sitting on the couch wearing basically nothing below her waist, but she sat on a plastic stool.

I don't understand how she wasn't freezing!

On 2/9/2021 at 6:58 AM, Lois Sandborne said:

I don't know what Ru's fascination is with Kandy. There are lots of loud queens, lots of obnoxious queens, and lots of arrogant queens. Some of them are even talented! It makes no sense. But when he stood there cackling like a loon in the workroom for a full minute, just because Kandy confused one thing for another? All hope for a watchable season died. I know it's not really a competition, but maybe be a little less obvious about yours.

Not really a conspiracy theory but something I think is super interesting when it comes to Kandy:

RuPaul is a Scorpio. On the US drag race, there have been a total of 6 Scorpios cast, which is way below any other sign. There have been more closeted trans women cast on this show than Scorpios.  Furthermore, on versions of the show where RuPaul has been a judge, no Scorpio has placed higher than sixth, and there has never been a Scorpio in the final three on any version of the show.

This season, two Scorpios were cast:

Kandy and Tina. HMM.

Is Ru biased against other Scorpios? Correlation is not causation but it seems like a weird coincidence. She could be looking for that special Scorpio winner, might hold them to a different standard, or could have a "highlander" mindset about it where she wants to be the only one. Based on this, I would really not expect either of them to get past sixth place, and I hope I'm right. I think of the two, Tina has a better chance of going further, at least on paper.

11 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I was actually more concerned about Gottmik sitting on the couch wearing basically nothing below her waist, but she sat on a plastic stool.

I don't understand how she wasn't freezing!

Gottmik started a youtube channel where she demonstrates her challenge makeup looks on camera. I'm assuming she will explain more about that whenever she uploads this week's episode (probably tomorrow).

Edited by belligerent
forgot a thing
  • Love 1

Frankly, worst Rusical (or whatever that was supposed to be) ever. And not just because of the Queens...I actually don't think that the various eras were in any way distinctive. It was always someone doing disco on stage without the narration I would have no idea what the various performances were supposed to present. That was tamer than Disco ever was....I mean, if you really want to capture the rebellious phase of the beginning, go and do something filthy on the stage, anything to portray the revolutionary aspect. The most distinctive things were the hula hoops and I'll be completely honest, I didn't get the reference. Might have been something obvious, but I saw no connection.

And the lip sync...no, Kandy didn't know the words. That was a puzzling decision.

On 2/10/2021 at 9:22 AM, belligerent said:

Not really a conspiracy theory but something I think is super interesting when it comes to Kandy:

RuPaul is a Scorpio. On the US drag race, there have been a total of 6 Scorpios cast, which is way below any other sign. There have been more closeted trans women cast on this show than Scorpios.  Furthermore, on versions of the show where RuPaul has been a judge, no Scorpio has placed higher than sixth, and there has never been a Scorpio in the final three on any version of the show.

This season, two Scorpios were cast:

Kandy and Tina. HMM.

Is Ru biased against other Scorpios? Correlation is not causation but it seems like a weird coincidence. She could be looking for that special Scorpio winner, might hold them to a different standard, or could have a "highlander" mindset about it where she wants to be the only one. Based on this, I would really not expect either of them to get past sixth place, and I hope I'm right. I think of the two, Tina has a better chance of going further, at least on paper.

Have you done the same detailed analysis for the other signs of the zodiac?

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 1
On 2/11/2021 at 4:00 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Have you done the same detailed analysis for the other signs of the zodiac?

Lmao I haven't. I only stumbled into this scientific breakthrough because I was at the wiki looking up to see if someone was older than me and clicked on the "queens by zodiac sign" because I was curious and noticed the discrepancy.

• Love 1