Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E06: Disco-Mentary

• Start Topic

A disco episode without real disco music.  Alrighty then.  I disagree with the judging.  Denoli should have been in the top three instead of Tina Burner.  Bottom two should have been Utica and Kandy.  

• Love 8

I feel rage. How TF did Kandy not go home? Aside from my personal bias of adoring Tamisha, the judges decision on this is terrible. 

I'm over Tina Burner's red and yellow Ronald McDonald schtick. It's not cute.

I don't like Gottmik, either. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 24
8 minutes ago, lyric said:

Am I crazy or did Kandy shank, like, half the lyrics? She wasn't even moving her mouth for part of it. Bad call - I do not understand their fascination with her.

You're not crazy, she barely knew the lyrics. I bet Ru kept Kandy because Kandy makes her laugh.

I can't help but wonder if a bit of ageism went into Tamisha's elimination.

Petty or not, I don't want any of tHe mEaN giRLs to win this season. 

• Love 16

"Broken, but still fierce." Tamisha Iman

Amen, to that. That queen better be in All Stars 7, is all I'm saying, or there'll be a riot in my lounge room...

What a load of bollocks. Kandy rolling around on the floor, with her back to the audience for large chunks, and then recovering to shout a few lyrics...

Tina Burner in the top three, in that abomination of a frock...

And the desperate attempts of Gottmik to wind back her parents' apparent level of support in that video message to fit in more with her previous narrative...

Throw in a Kandy ain't all bad redemption arc edit... No. Mm-mm. Nup.

Tamisha is more forgiving and accepting of bullshit than I am. Best exit I can recall, from all the seasons. The wonder and the gratitude... Beautiful.

Edited by violet and green
all stars 6 is in the can, apparently.
  • Love 19
10 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

Tamisha probably wanted to go home, otherwise she would not have confessed to being unwell, knowing it would get back to the producers. Hence her elimination.

Well, it's not shot in real time. Those talks with the producers get spliced into the show and are done for the most part after the challenges. From what she said in the work room, her ostomy bag was only brought up after she had been eliminated when she wanted to inspire others dealing with such things.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3

I didn't like "Rolaskatox" or "the Heathers" as units, and they diminished my impressions of individual queens I otherwise liked.  I don't know anyone who found those cliques appealing.  Why do "the Mean Girls" think they're any different?

Very strange to do a whole disco episode with so little actual disco.  Everything in the production number was soundalikes or pastiches besides the bit of "We Are Family," right?  "Hit 'Em Up Style" is great, but that was the time for a disco showstopper.  But maybe that wouldn't've suited Kandy.  Queens have reported they've changed the scheduled number last-minute before.  Hmmmm.

I am definitely disappointed that Tamisha is gone because I feel she had a lot more to offer.  I don't think Kandy is going to change her stank attitude, but I'd love to be proven wrong.  I wonder whether Utica's earring look would've read more clearly if she'd made a quick moment of putting them on at the top of the runway?  The feedback she got about cutting back on the shtick a little during the challenges was on point.

I didn't care much for Gottmik's outfit, which I felt for the second week in a row was an awful lot about the body and not much about the costume.  I don't like too much of that with any queen, although I admire her confidence in her body very much.  I hesitate to speculate about what is going through her mind, but if her story has inspired some of that focus in her drag, more power to her.

I thought Ru's brief impression of Charles Nelson Reilly was atrocious.  The outfit didn't strike me as much of anything he would've worn either, other than the neckerchief.  If I were Ru, I would've just left that reference out.  I could've been spared the cringe all around, at the look / impression and all the contestants who don't know their history.

I still enjoy watching, but the seams really show sometimes.  There was so little to that challenge that I found it difficult to glean much from it.  And then who indeed would ever have guessed that the contestants just coming off of a big bustup would face each other?!  I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 8

After the mess season 11 was, I chose not to watch season 12. But I came back and started fresh with this season, since everybody raved about how good 12 was. Suffice it to say I'm out again. When I know better, I do better. Best of luck to Lala, Denali, Rosé, Symone, and Elliott.

• Love 3

I was surprised there wasn't any lipsynching to go with the dancing and that part felt weird. I guess I haven't seen a -- pun definitely not intended -- straight dance challenge since season 5 with the ballet. I actually thought LaLa Ri was excellent after having a bad week, so I was a little bummed she was just safe. That said, my attention was totally caught by Tiny Burner and her beaded dress everywhere. That was a good call on her part. I didn't love Olivia's runway one bit except for her hair, but her charisma is off the charts and I totally see how she nailed the win between her wig and smile.

Tamisha's costume in the challenge was amazing. I will miss that classy broad! She is someone who when she's talking, I want to shut up and listen. But she made her peace going home early on episode one. I won't take anything away from her feeling good about where she's gotten to in the competition. She's getting a career revival out of this. I think she's good.

No one seems at all threatened or jealous of the Mean Girls. They don't have the intimidation of the Heathers, and everyone knows Rolaskatox ended up hurting themselves in their first season by being cliqueish. They're having a good time  and no one else cares. I can't be bothered by them. There's no malice in them, really.

And yes, I think Gottmik is very much on a journey with his body right now, and is working through that in his drag, and I definitely respect that. I've had so many friends, especially in recent years, find a lot of joy and new discovery that comes from living publicly with their gender affirmation in ways they didn't expect, and I see that with Gottmik.  I think he's modeling some really encouragement for anyone who might be afraid to go public with their gender identity. He's showing all the joy that he can express, how he can be clumsy and "gorgeous" and dumb with his fake mean girls and best of all, be proud of his body. The prevalence of dysmorphia for the trans community can be really tough to cope with. Gottmik is making a huge statement with the body-con drag he's doing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

I disagree with the judges, I thought Elliott looked gorgeous on the runway. I wasn't crazy about Rose's look but her performance was good, as was Denali's.

Utica's runway antics are too one-note and campy and I'm glad the judges let her know. There's a place for that, but it can hold you back on Drag Race. 

I'm not upset about Tamisha's elimination. Physically it seemed just a bit too much for her right now, but good on her for going for it. As for Kandy, it's clear she's here to bring the drama and I've just accepted it. She won't win so it is what it is. 

I don't hate Tina Burner. Her performance was great and I liked her runway. I've liked a lot of her looks. I know it's the thing to hate on her because she's mouthy and friends with Kandy, but she's talented.

• Love 4

I was rolling my eyes when Kandy tried to conclude all of the Tanisha drama with "I'm over it." 99% of the time that people utter that phrase, they mean the opposite. When it's a drama queen making that statement, they definitely mean the opposite.

I liked the wallpaper fashion design mini challenge but I wasn't sure which criteria Ru was going to take into consideration the most: the design of the actual dress or how well it stood out against the matching wallpaper. If it were the latter, then Symone and LaLa Ri made a good decision not to use too much of the fabric (and I can't lie - the pizza slices over the nipples cracked me up, as did the commentary) but at the expense of not really designing an actual outfit. But for the former criteria, I agree with Tanisha and Elliott winning (their Tiger King themed commentary made me laugh too).

I also liked Olivia Lux and Utica's dress but the commentary was boring. Rosé and Denali's button dress was cute but it looked a bit too crafty. The only thing I liked about the trio's look was the giant bow on Gottmik's head.

I was shocked at how completely clueless these queens were about disco. You'd think they would at least know the huge icons like Diana Ross, Donna Summer, and Gloria Gaynor.

I was cracking up at Rosé saying that she and Denali had the most challenging choreography. Pas de bourée, single pirouette, fan kick is like beginner jazz level. Like I've seen eight year old kids do that combination.

I felt bad that poor Utica wasn't getting the choreography during rehearsal, but I laughed when she face planted and then kept waving her little flag of material.

Ahhhh, the delusion of Kandy. And I quote: "I know that everyone looks at us like the loud bitches in the room but baby, can we deliver? That's the real tea." The answer is no, not everyone in your Mean Girls clique is loud. And no, you cannot deliver. Tina delivers on amazing costumes. The judges loved Gottmik in the previous challenge. But Kandy has worn terrible outfits on the runway and has consistently awful makeup. The one time she got praise from the judges was when she acted like an obnoxious brat in a skit (aka didn't seem to be acting).

Tina Burner hadn't really bothered me previous to last week's Untucked but this week I just could not when she said, "If you want to call us mean, call us mean." No, YOU are the ones who called yourselves mean by dubbing your group the Mean Girls!

Awww, I thought it was cute that Olivia wanted to be in color guard in high school.

Is this the first dance only challenge? I feel like in past challenges when they had to dance, there was some other element involved (like writing their own lyrics) or lip synching to pre-written lyrics.

None of the groups really wowed me. Almost everyone did fine but not great. Kandy was the weakest because I noticed that she was off a few times. As Michelle pointed out, her disco outfit was boring so she didn't even make up for her performance with an amazing look. I liked Tina Burner's fringey leotard and Olivia's sequined leotard - they both had great movement for dancing. Elliott and Olivia looked the most natural. They seemed like they were just having fun.

What I really noticed during the disco performance is that some of these queens make terrible facial expressions. If you are a drag queen, you are a performer. Every inch of you from head to toe is part of that performance. Some of these queens really need to record their performances, take note of their facial expressions, and then practice new ones in the mirror. Kandy and Utica were the one who really stood out for this reason during the disco dancing.

Tina's paint reveal was unnecessary. Her runway looks are usually very put together but this one looked very crafty and homemade. It was just a black dress with hand prints. It reminded me of those murals at elementary schools where they let each kid put one painted handprint on the wall and sign their name underneath it.

On the other hand, I usually don't like Kandy's runway outfits, but I liked this one. I still hated her muddy makeup and her hair.

Gottmik's little black merkin dress was definitely memorable and very different from what everyone else wore on the runway.

Elliott's black dress was a bit boring.

Tamisha's black dress definitely gave me a Diahann Carroll vibe so mission accomplished.

Olivia's runway look was giving me Tyra Banks from the ankle up. For some reason the shoes weren't doing it for me.

Utica's Audrey Hepburn inspired runway look would have been unremarkable with just the dress, but adding the gold and the giant lipstick kicked it up a notch.

Denali's beaded spiderweb look felt like a black dress that had the beading part added for a costume party. I liked the spider eyes on her forehead though.

Rosé's dress reminded me too much of a loofah.

LaLa Ri's runway look was another black dress that was accessorized. The big silver collar definitely added some much needed drama, but it wasn't enough for me.

Loved Symone's look. The outfit itself was very 90s club and the hair gave it so much more.

OMG I had the NOW CD with Hit 'Em Up Style so that song brought back some memories.

That elimination was straight bull shit though. The few times that the camera showed Kandy's face, she clearly did not know the words. Her dancing and performance reeked of desperation. If she were capable of doing back handsprings, jump splits, or any other tricks she would have been doing them nonstop because that's how desperate she came off.

And give me a break. I'm really supposed to believe that the two queens who just got into a huge fight last week were coincidentally both in the bottom this week? SURE, JAN.

I know Ru says that she bases her decision on the LSFYL but when I look at the bottom two, I use the Project Runway criteria: who do I want to see more from? I know what I'm going to get from Kandy (muddy makeup, lackluster looks, and screaming at anyone who doesn't kiss her ass). I'm far more interested in seeing what a queen like Tamisha will bring each week. But Ru is here for the ~DRAMA~ so of course Kandy was safe and Tamisha was eliminated. If you compare their runway looks and their performances in the challenges, Tamisha was a much more interesting queen and performer. I have no interest in seeing Silky Ganache 2.0 week after week with her bad makeup and bad outfits. And that's even before you factor in her actual personality.

• Love 13

Aw, Tamisha. You’re not broken, just a little scarred. And all the more beautiful for it.  Apparently, Ru decided to go for crass over class.

15 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was shocked at how completely clueless these queens were about disco. You'd think they would at least know the huge icons like Diana Ross, Donna Summer, and Gloria Gaynor.

Yes! And also Charles Nelson Reilly. Although I think Ru should have saved that homage for the Snatch Game episode. (Or, as @853fisher said, just ditched it. It really was a terrible impression.)

The trio proudly embracing the moniker of “Mean Girls” really tells me everything I need to know about them. Except their exit date. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

I don't hate Tina Burner. Her performance was great and I liked her runway. I've liked a lot of her looks. I know it's the thing to hate on her because she's mouthy and friends with Kandy, but she's talented

Yeah I don’t hate here as much as Kandy but she does act superior. She’s good but not necessarily better than some of the others. Not much else to add for this episode except I agree with what has been said 

And I know people express emotion differently but I felt Gottmik was barely moved by her parents video. But I’m not really gonna judge that as I realize there is probably so much history we are t privy to. I  did however think it was very random and came out of nowhere. 

• Love 3

Just watched Untucked and ugh.

Kandy: [The judges] didn't say anything bad about the [disco] number. They just said that they thought the jumpsuit was too plain, which is like, I can't be anything other than what I am.

They weren't complaining about your stank attitude (as I have been doing) and asking you to change your personality. They said your outfit was too plain. Stop trying to twist their comments to make yourself a victim!

Tamisha's classy exit just underscored my desire to see more of her.

I found it a little odd that Gottmik kept looking at everyone else while her parents' video was playing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
20 minutes ago, xander874 said:

And I know people express emotion differently but I felt Gottmik was barely moved by her parents video. But I’m not really gonna judge that as I realize there is probably so much history we are t privy to. I  did however think it was very random and came out of nowhere. 

That surprised me, too.  I don’t feel like it’s necessary for every queen to burst into tears when it’s their turn for the video from home, but Gottmik seemed actually uninterested.  She wasn’t even looking at the screen half of the time.

I went into this season truly rooting for her.  I have close friends who are trans and I was happy to see some representation.  And I still love the looks she puts on the runway, but haven’t yet been impressed by her performance skills or her workroom personality.  

Edited by CraftyHazel
  • Love 5

Goddammit. I truly hope Tamisha's health continues to improve (it wasn't that long ago, all things considered,) and she either comes back like Cynthia did, or appears in an All Stars. Or hell, if they bring someone back this season, it better be her. I think I'm just going to start muting when Kandy is on. Good lord.

• Love 9

Guest choreographer Miguel Zarate was a contestant on the show "Step It Up and Dance." It aired only one season on Bravo and can be found on YouTube. It's an awesome show. Miguel was a bit of a villain back then but he's grown up a lot.

I thought Rose should have taken Tina's place in the top. Tina wasn't great and I'm so sick of her ketchup and mustard fashions. Glad Utica didn't have to lip synch because she actually looked like she was having fun, unlike Kandy, whose talents continue to elude my perception.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
27 minutes ago, xander874 said:

I know I personally would be suspicious af if I got a video where my parents were suddenly not stubbornly calling me my legal name (my chosen name is literally the nickname my mom used to call me pre-transition, which I did so she'd have an easier time, but she refuses to call me that now lmao) and being supportive, or at least pretending to be. I don't know Gottmik's relationship with her parents, but if they're not usually supportive and suddenly they are when cameras are rolling, she probably didn't know how to react on camera. Do you call them out for being fake or try to seem appreciative just in case it's genuine? I'm 15 years older than her and not trying to repair my relationship with my parents, so I would probably be like "that's unusual for them, but maybe they're learning." I watch Drag Race with a friend of mine and we talk over messenger and my response to her parents' message was "here's Gottmik's parents being surprised at having a Leo."

This season is really weird for me to watch because what's going on with Gottmik is so close to my own experience (I personally paid around 8k for my chest and I, too, get my money's worth by being shirtless as often as possible). I also really wish she hadn't hitched her wagon to the "mean girls" thing while also trying to be good representation for trans men and serving as one of cis people's only points of reference when it comes to us. She should be glad Kandy danced in front of her so the judges couldn't see her during their group's part of the main challenge. I thought she was going to be in the bottom based on how off on the choreography she was compared to Tina.

This was probably my least favorite episode of Drag Race ever. I love disco (don't take my metalhead card) and this was really disappointing to me. It's worse than that drag olympics episode in 11 for me, which was boring but didn't seem as offensive as this abridged version of the cliffsnotes for "Disco for Dummies." I'm glad LaLa at least knew who Sylvester was. I guess I just watched way too much VH1 twenty years ago. LaLa and Olivia are a couple of my favorites. They just seem like such lovely people. "Lux" is such a good name for her, because she really does embody radiance.

It also worries me that nobody knew who Charles Nelson Reilly was, and now I'm dreading the snatch game episode. If I was going to be on this show, knowing how important snatch game is to how well you do afterwards, I would have Match Game on in the background while working on my outfits or whatever. It's free with Prime!!!! No excuse. Charles Nelson Reilly was also one of the first "openly" gay male celebrities on TV, so it's not just a random situation where it's become gay culture (like a lot of the movie references that were in the rupaulmark episode).

I'm on Team Tamisha for All Stars 7 so she better be there. I knew they weren't going to send Kandy home but jfc. Now Kandy is going to be even more exhausting. It's really interesting to hear her interpretation of the judges' critiques, because it's always "well they said I was perfect in the challenge but they didn't like this one tiny thing and I don't care about that because it's just part of who I am."

• Love 13
18 hours ago, Adeejay said:

Tamisha probably wanted to go home, otherwise she would not have confessed to being unwell, knowing it would get back to the producers. Hence her elimination.

I agree 100%. I think she told the producers about the fibromyalgia before they even started taping the show, and maybe since Tamisha is an older, well known, established and respected queen they struck a deal where she would stay for a few episodes and then she would be eliminated because it would be too exhausting for her to keep on competing.

I might be going too far with this theory but it's the only explanation I can give myself after watching this episode. Kandy's outfit was bad, her hair and makeup were so effed up they were honestly hard to look at, she barely walked or did anything during the whole song and at one point she even just lied on the floor for like a whole minute without even moving her head. Nonetheless, she won. And I turned the TV off because I was so pissed I could not watch anymore. And I'm sorry but that's why I'm convinced Tamisha's exit was scripted, because there is NO. WAY. you could look at that travesty of a lipsync and declare Kandy the winner otherwise. 

Edited by stormy weather
  • Love 14

Ru likes drama. Ru likes loud and boisterous. Ru likes in-your-face humor. (At least, that’s how it appears to me.) So it’s not surprising that Ru likes Kandy. Ru is also producing a TV show, not a “real” competition, so controversy will always prevail if it gets people’s attention. And Kandy is controversial.

Before the LSFYL even started, I knew Tamisha was toast. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t disappointing. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, CraftyHazel said:

That surprised me, too.  I don’t feel like it’s necessary for every queen to burst into tears when it’s their turn for the video from home, but Gottmik seemed actually uninterested.  She wasn’t even looking at the screen half of the time.

I went into this season truly rooting for her.  I have close friends who are trans and I was happy to see some representation.  And I still love the looks she puts on the runway, but haven’t yet been impressed by her performance skills or her workroom personality.  

I'm not into Gottmik at all!  I hate her reliance on body-ody-ody.  Her black dress merkin, while shocking upon her initial reveal, was just lame when you saw her walk.  Sorry, not sorry.  

Kandy Muse can just go away!  I even liked Silky after a while, but Kandy is pretty unimpressive so far.  

Tina reminds me so much of she-who-must-not-be-named.  I think it's her face.  But I can't warm up to her no matter how much fire imagery she attempts to serve.  

Tamisha was my fave. She was totally robbed!  Apart from the "mean girls" clique, I like everyone else!

Edited by Marisagf
  • Love 9

Oh, this one brought out all the feels...

I burst into tears when Tamisha said she went through all that with an ostomy bag. I remember my Mom, the most joyful creature I’ve ever known, complain about her ostomy bag.

I’m old enough to remember the Disco Sucks rally. Maybe it’s youthful naïveté or white privilege (probably both), but I never understood that rally as anti-gay or anti-POC. I saw it as exhaustion of a genre. I mean “Disco Duck”? Even Ethel Merman had a disco album. 

Other Random Thoughts:

Utica is too smart for the room.

Tamisha in drag reminds me way too much of a woman I used to work with. 

I hope Gottmik appreciates her parents. It’s great to see parents who get their kid’s differences. 

Ru, honey, there WILL be a winning plus-sized drag queen one day. Kandy Muse is not that queen. Neither was Silky Nutmeg Ganache. You had your chance with Ginger Minge. Don’t F*** it up. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 18
11 hours ago, funnygirl said:

You're not crazy, she barely knew the lyrics. I bet Ru kept Kandy because Kandy makes her laugh.

I can't help but wonder if a bit of ageism went into Tamisha's elimination.

Petty or not, I don't want any of tHe mEaN giRLs to win this season. 

But Kandy isn’t even funny.  And her lewk is broke ass.   Tamisha looks like a queen next to her.  It be one thing if the mean girls were talented like the heathers.  Nope, not at all.   Thesemean girls would have been the boogers 

Edited by howiveaddict
  • Love 12
11 hours ago, funnygirl said:

I don't think it has much to do with making Ru laugh. I think it's the same pattern we've been seeing since season 1 - the villain of the season lasts longer than they deserve, because the producers think that constant drama is what the audience wants.

I doubt Ru even finds Kandy particularly funny. I think Ru plays up the "OMG Kandy is hilarious!" thing because it's the only way to justify Kandy's continued presence in the competition.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Pj3422 said:

Oh, this one brought out all the feels...

I burst into tears when Tamisha said she went through all that with an ostomy bag. I remember my Mom, the most joyful creature I’ve ever known, complain about her ostomy bag.

I’m old enough to remember the Disco Sucks rally. Maybe it’s youthful naïveté or white privilege (probably both), but I never understood that rally as anti-gay or anti-POC. I saw it as exhaustion of a genre. I mean “Disco Duck”? Even Ethel Merman had a disco album. 

Other Random Thoughts:

Utica is too smart for the room.

Tamisha in drag reminds me way too much of a woman I used to work with. 

I hope Gottmik appreciates her parents. It’s great to see parents who get their kid’s differences. 

Ru, honey, there WILL be a winning plus-sized drag queen one day. Kandy Muse is not that queen. Neither was Silky Nutmeg Ganache. You had your chance with Ginger Minge. Don’t F*** it up. 

Okay. Mother was ready to go home so she can properly heal up for All Stars; otherwise that lip sync was a complete travesty.

As long as Kandy Muse does not win this season, I'll be alright.  I want her eliminated before Elliott just because of the bullying.  Kandy's drag is unpolished and I don't understand why she chose to look dirty for a runway.

I'm loving Olivia Lux, LaLa Ri, and Symone.

1 hour ago, howiveaddict said:

But Kandy isn’t even funny.  And her lewk is broke ass.   Tamisha looks like a queen next to her.  It be one thing if the mean girls were talented like the heathers.  Nope, not at all.   These mean girls would have been the boogers 

I concur.  I'm trying to remember if any other queen was practically butt naked on previous runways...

• Love 4
4 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Guest choreographer Miguel Zarate was a contestant on the show "Step It Up and Dance." It aired only one season on Bravo and can be found on YouTube. It's an awesome show. Miguel was a bit of a villain back then but he's grown up a lot.

OMFG I thought his name sounded familiar but I didn't put it together. I fucking LOVED that show (despite Elizabeth Berkley's weird hosting) so I need to go back and rewatch the choreography scenes just to watch Miguel! I am glad I wasn't the only person who watched that show. A year or two ago, I saw something about Janelle and I wanted to tell someone but apparently only five people watched that show and I didn't know any of the other four. I'm going to have to see if the episodes are still posted on YouTube. I remember the Tina Landon episode and the Broadway episode as both being really awesome.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

Okay. Mother was ready to go home so she can properly heal up for All Stars; otherwise that lip sync was a complete travesty.

As long as Kandy Muse does not win this season, I'll be alright.  I want her eliminated before Elliott just because of the bullying.  Kandy's drag is unpolished and I don't understand why she chose to look dirty for a runway.

I'm loving Olivia Lux, LaLa Ri, and Symone.

I concur.  I'm trying to remember if any other queen was practically butt naked on previous runways...

I remember Carmen, Violet, Valentina and Detox doing it. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

OMFG I thought his name sounded familiar but I didn't put it together. I fucking LOVED that show (despite Elizabeth Berkley's weird hosting) so I need to go back and rewatch the choreography scenes just to watch Miguel! I am glad I wasn't the only person who watched that show. A year or two ago, I saw something about Janelle and I wanted to tell someone but apparently only five people watched that show and I didn't know any of the other four. I'm going to have to see if the episodes are still posted on YouTube. I remember the Tina Landon episode and the Broadway episode as both being really awesome.

Yes! And they are definitely on YouTube, I may or may not rewatch on a regular basis LOL. But it was nice to see him pop up on Drag Race, as being a queer POC was an important part of his identity as a dancer.

• Love 2

Now that I’ve calmed down a bit, but I’m still going to swear.

I effin hate KM (she does not deserve to have her name spelled out) : ugly on the inside and out, indecipherable word garbage, muddy makeup, and lazy & sloppy looks. And I thought Silky was one of the worst...

Loved Olivia’s disco outfit and attitude. I’m glad she won.

Ronald McDonald can leave anytime.

Gottmik should have been in the bottom. That was a ridiculous “outfit.“

Utica needs to practice her movements in front of a mirror because they are like a clumsy praying mantis on speed.

I’d like to see Tamisha again.

• Love 21
12 minutes ago, marinite said:

Now that I’ve calmed down a bit, but I’m still going to swear.

I effin hate KM (she does not deserve to have her name spelled out) : ugly on the inside and out, indecipherable word garbage, muddy makeup, and lazy & sloppy looks. And I thought Silky was one of the worst...

Loved Olivia’s disco outfit and attitude. I’m glad she won.

Ronald McDonald can leave anytime.

Gottmik should have been in the bottom. That was a ridiculous “outfit.“

Utica needs to practice her movements in front of a mirror because they are like a clumsy praying mantis on speed.

I’d like to see Tamisha again.

I agree with every bit of that.  The whole season is a farce.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Queens have reported they've changed the scheduled number last-minute before.  Hmmmm.

Having some experience with that, getting copyright clearances can be problematic. Sometimes the producers can only be sure that their preferred choices are cleared hours before the performance. Some artists are super picky. Celine Dion clears any song for any purpose, that's why you'll hear her stuff so often.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, Toaster Strudel said:

Having some experience with that, getting copyright clearances can be problematic. Sometimes the producers can only be sure that their preferred choices are cleared hours before the performance. Some artists are super picky. Celine Dion clears any song for any purpose, that's why you'll hear her stuff so often.

I agree that clearances can be a bear.  I think I have heard that the producers of this show clear a list of songs at the beginning of the season and proceed from there, and I imagine they are savvy enough about this such that few last-minute changes are imposed on them, although I'm sure they're not totally immune.

When I "hmmmm"'d, I was thinking of things like the story reported separately by Detox and Jinkx that, as soon as it was clear that Jinkx would be perhaps unexpectedly in the bottom, the song she'd been seen and heard really getting into all over the workroom was substituted for the one the queens had been told to expect that day.  Sure, maybe that was caused by a clearance problem, but I doubt it.

Back to last night, it is difficult to imagine that they couldn't have had a disco song for the lip-sync if they'd wanted one.  Perhaps not their first or even their second choice, but some disco song, after an episode-long focus on disco.  I never thought I would say I found "Hit 'Em Up Style" an uninspired choice, but I'm afraid that's how I felt.

• Love 4

I love Tamisha. I don’t think she and RuPaul are the same age, but have they talked about whether or not they overlapped any while in Atlanta?

my best girlfriend was diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer at age 39 and her surgery was so extensive she ended up with a permanent ostomy, and they suck.

Edited by DrSparkles
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, DrSparkles said:

I love Tamisha. I don’t think she and RuPaul are the same age, but have they talked about whether or not they overlapped any while in Atlanta?

I think Ru is about a decade older than Tamisha.  Ru moved to Atlanta at 15, in 1975, and I think she lived there until the mid-90s.  So I bet they at least know many of the same places from the latter end of Ru's time there.  That would be an interesting conversation!

• Useful 2
10 hours ago, Pj3422 said:

’m old enough to remember the Disco Sucks rally. Maybe it’s youthful naïveté or white privilege (probably both), but I never understood that rally as anti-gay or anti-POC. I saw it as exhaustion of a genre. I mean “Disco Duck”? Even Ethel Merman had a disco album.

I was born in the 70’s, but don’t remember the Disco Sucks movement, just my Sesame Street disco album.  It was interesting to see more of the sentiment behind the rally during the recent Bee Gees documentary...lots of parallels to today.

I was glad to see Ru explain each of the periods to them because, although I roll my eyes when they don’t get references, I forget how young they are sometimes. That said, one still needs to know the difference between “lamé”and “lame.”

Even if (and I hope there was) an agreement for how long Tamisha stayed, I wish they would’ve given her one more week and sent Kandy home.

• Love 4