Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
saoirse

The MU/MCU: From Comics to Screen

After the MCU successfully made Scott Lang Ant-Man into a real franchise, I stopped doubting whether any given Marvel property could succeed on screen. In twenty year's we'll probably be highly anticipating the third DP7 movie.

And I liked what I've read of Young Avengers, for the record.

• Like 2

It's been an interesting conceit to base the show around, but comics Wanda was never a pop culture obsessive, right? She'd always be studying magic with Dr. Strange rather than watching the latest episode of Family Ties. Unless this came up in the era after I wasn't paying attention. I missed the White Vision era and beyond.

As someone who likes to write sci-fi myself, the inconsistent world building around The Blip has always bothered me. Sometimes they treat it as something that has irrevocably scarred society. Trash piled up on the street, abandoned neighborhoods, the dissolution of Major League Baseball for some damn reason (or maybe Thanos just blipped the National League?)... and yet there's a working power grid, a nice memorial park in San Francisco, seemingly no earth shattering upheavals worth mentioning like the fall of a country or nukes being set off or martial law in the streets. Government systems seemed to have picked up the slack. 2020 real world felt more apocalyptic than post blip MCU. I feel that they could have made those decisions with more care and consistency.

To tie it back to WandaVision, I feel they leaned into the "Oh, this town is trash now since the Blip" feel in those flashback scenes but I don't think they're going to be consistent with afterblip consequences in all their offerings. Spiderman: Far From Home had virtually no aftermath in terms of how they presented the world, for instance, as far as I remember.

8 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Spiderman: Far From Home had virtually no aftermath in terms of how they presented the world, for instance, as far as I remember.

May was doing a benefit event with Spiderman to raise money for people homeless because of the blip.

8 hours ago, Fukui San said:

To tie it back to WandaVision, I feel they leaned into the "Oh, this town is trash now since the Blip"

If TV has taught me anything, it's that a random town in New Jersey was probably trash even without the blip.

• Laugh 2

On 2/24/2021 at 10:41 PM, Fukui San said:

After the MCU successfully made Scott Lang Ant-Man into a real franchise, I stopped doubting whether any given Marvel property could succeed on screen. In twenty year's we'll probably be highly anticipating the third DP7 movie.

That's a deep cut. I like. 

On 2/26/2021 at 1:02 PM, Fukui San said:

It's been an interesting conceit to base the show around, but comics Wanda was never a pop culture obsessive, right? She'd always be studying magic with Dr. Strange rather than watching the latest episode of Family Ties. Unless this came up in the era after I wasn't paying attention. I missed the White Vision era and beyond.

As someone who likes to write sci-fi myself, the inconsistent world building around The Blip has always bothered me. Sometimes they treat it as something that has irrevocably scarred society. Trash piled up on the street, abandoned neighborhoods, the dissolution of Major League Baseball for some damn reason (or maybe Thanos just blipped the National League?)... and yet there's a working power grid, a nice memorial park in San Francisco, seemingly no earth shattering upheavals worth mentioning like the fall of a country or nukes being set off or martial law in the streets. Government systems seemed to have picked up the slack. 2020 real world felt more apocalyptic than post blip MCU. I feel that they could have made those decisions with more care and consistency.

To tie it back to WandaVision, I feel they leaned into the "Oh, this town is trash now since the Blip" feel in those flashback scenes but I don't think they're going to be consistent with afterblip consequences in all their offerings. Spiderman: Far From Home had virtually no aftermath in terms of how they presented the world, for instance, as far as I remember.

I was not the biggest fan of comics Wanda and didn't read many of the miniseries about her. Most of my comics knowledge of her is from the 80s and before. It seems to me that in that time period basically most female characters had interchangeable personalities. There would be no way to tell an action or a piece of dialogue by Wanda apart from Jean Grey or Sue Storm or whoever (baring something like an explicit reference to mutants or their particular love interest). 

I think that if there was a Blip, it's not unrealistic that some places would be hit harder than others and some places would recover better/faster than others. Just random chance might mean that some entire cities might lose only 10 percent of their population while others would lose 90. Even if it was a given that it was universally 50 percent, I have no doubt that the Bay Area could weather such a loss better than a random NJ town given advantages in money, brain power (sorry, not sorry), climate and other things.

I will once again cast my vote for a D+ series that shows what happened in the Blip with more detail.

10 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

I will once again cast my vote for a D+ series that shows what happened in the Blip with more detail.

I am not sure I want to see that. Last year I watched the Leftovers which was about 2% of the world population suddenly disappearing. It was good but a lot of it was super sad and depressing. Change it to 50% of all life and I am not sure how you can pull it off without making it a giant downer. 

• Like 1