Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E09: The No Bang Theory

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, RealReality said:
On 1/30/2021 at 7:27 PM, greekmom said:

They need to stop trying to make Discovery+ happen.

Discovery+ is as confusing to me as HBO Max.  

I think it takes a very "special' kind of person to look at the array of options on Discovery+ and fall in love. It turns out I am that very "special" kind of person. And while Mr. Snappy was ready to make fun of me today when we decided to look at everything it offered, it turned out that he, too, is a very "special" kind of person, albeit somewhat closeted (SO many good food and travel channels!)

• LOL 8
2 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I think it takes a very "special' kind of person to look at the array of options on Discovery+ and fall in love. It turns out I am that very "special" kind of person. And while Mr. Snappy was ready to make fun of me today when we decided to look at everything it offered, it turned out that he, too, is a very "special" kind of person, albeit somewhat closeted (SO many good food and travel channels!)

I'm right up there with you, sister. I haven't been able to tear myself away. The crime shows alone have had me glued to it. 

16 minutes ago, magemaud said:

Wasn’t there some speculation on her last season that Rebecca’s “dip in the lady pool” was with her “best friend/former PI boss” Melanie? 

That would make sense and explain some of the hostility. 

On 2/7/2021 at 7:21 PM, watchingtvaddict said:

You aren’t alone. I’m thinking if I had to move to the States and live in a rural area, I would be happy for the distraction. Julia isn’t allowed to work until the adjusted status comes through so why not just help out on the farm?

What’s the alternative? Move to a new apartment with limited funds and just stay at home with no one or nothing to keep you company?

Yes, I simply cannot believe that Brandon did not inform Julia that they would be living in a farm. Also, not to knock night owls, but if I were a young man looking to get married, I would not pick a young lady who at 26, prefers to wake up at lunchtime. (Unless she has a normal night job, like in a hospital or front desk of a hotel or whatever. Not go go dancing in a club). If she will become a mother anytime soon, no more sleeping til lunch for many years, as children's daily routines begin early in the morning.

Generally speaking, getting up early in the morning is seen as efficient, responsible, and "adulting." So is going to bed at a reasonable hour. 

• Love 6

There may be some circumstances Julia is willing to embrace but she has a right to not want feeding animals to be included. She may come to be perfectly willing to be in charge of and taking care of their own place. And he may not have a problem with her sleeping late once they are away from the sicko parents. 

Edited by ethalfrida
  • Love 3
On 2/7/2021 at 6:36 PM, AZChristian said:

I don't think Julia wants to do NOTHING to help out.  Maybe she would be more willing to do things in the house.

I'm a city slicker.  If I were invited to stay on a farm in a place where I really wanted to go, I would be happy to help out IN THE HOUSE.  I think she said early on (perhaps even before she arrived) that she didn't think farm life was something that she would want to do.  And (if I remember correctly), she said even then that she would come back home rather than doing farmhand work.  (Paraphrasing)

Mother Brandon appears to be a borderline hoarder, and by the way she was so pleased with how Julia's room turned out, I'm certain she'd have a conniption if a few knickknacks were put in storage. It would be wonderful if Julia knew some basic cooking skills and made dinner every night for the family. But would nasty, judgmental Betty let her in the kitchen. Betty's loss; Julia seems authentic and loves her son.

On 2/8/2021 at 8:04 PM, RealReality said:

Natalie wears way too much of whatever brown bronzer, blush or highlighter, but she is still in good shape and has that whitewalker look that a lot of men will go for.  This relationship is a bust, she should go home, regroup and work harder to hide her insanity until a man actually marries her.  

Mike is the typical common man of the Pacific Northwest, and they DO NOT like makeup, especially not caked on like Natalie's. I know this from spending lots of time in that region. Of course downtown Seattle at night is probably different. 

On 2/9/2021 at 8:40 AM, Mr. Miner said:

If I was a woman, I'd be very hard pressed to marry a big doofus that lives in a depressing and smelly little house in the middle of nowhere. Oh! I forgot about the ridiculous 5 hour roundtrip commute the big dummy has everyday.

I wanted to root for Mike, but when I saw him on their woods walk bound up tight like a condom in his hoodie from 50 pounds ago, I wanted to strangle him! C'mon man, go to the Seattle Salvation Army store and get yourself some better fitting clothes, you're on television for cripes sake. 

Yes, @Mr. Miner, this big poofster needs a makeover and an attitude adjustment. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 2/8/2021 at 9:54 PM, RealReality said:

First, let me assure you that there are far, FAR better looking Belizean men.  

HELL yes. Looking back at my vacation pix from around 1998 or so (a general guess without going to figure out exact dates but my daughter is wearing a Spice GIrls T-shirt) ... my SIL lived there part of the year (exchange professor at UBelize) and was building a home in Caye Caulker so had become part of the community. We went out deep sea fishing with a friend of hers, a guide named Jimmy who looks like he could be Ryan and Harris' MUCH handsomer cousin. 

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Rt66vintage said:

Mike is the typical common man of the Pacific Northwest, and they DO NOT like makeup, especially not caked on like Natalie's. I know this from spending lots of time in that region. Of course downtown Seattle at night is probably different. 

I noticed this. Russian/Ukrainian men expect women to look ultra feminine, with perfectly done makeup, hair, nails, and pretty dresses daily. Yara is an example of this. Natalie and Mike are fundamentally different people and he will never become the person she wants him to be but, he is a man and she wants to have babies. 

• Love 2

I noticed this. Russian/Ukrainian men expect women to look ultra feminine, with perfectly done makeup, hair, nails, and pretty dresses daily. 

This...and it is not limited to that part of the world. I would say in general, my impression is that in most European and Asian countries, women would not dream of leaving the house like many American women do (myself included). I don't dress up but at the same time I would never leave the house in PJ pants and I rarely wear makeup unless we are going out.....my exhusband is Peruvian. His mother was always shocked and appalled that I didn't wear makeup, like a full Natalie type face of it even if we were just running to the store. Her son was fine with me the way I was and in fact my difference is what attracted him. Could be the same for Mike, he met Natalie and was just blown away by her "glamour" but never stopped to think there isn't an off switch. lol

Just, in general I think culturally in a LOT of other countries women have that standard----never leave the house without your face on (as my grandma would say). lol 

• Love 4
21 hours ago, christmaslights said:

Julia came from Ukraine to live on a sad farm with a pest control guy and his weird parents. She has to sleep in a storage room and pick up pig poop. 

how bad is Ukraine?

In Ukraine, you can expect to live with your parents in addition to your husband and children for your whole life in a 2 room apartment in an old building. Poor medical and dental services compared to here. Poor economy with little chance of bettering your situation. And for women, difficulty finding a man to marry after 25 or so. Bribery is rampant to get anything done well (even life saving surgeries). 

Edited by Lily247
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, Lily247 said:
23 hours ago, christmaslights said:

Julia came from Ukraine to live on a sad farm with a pest control guy and his weird parents. She has to sleep in a storage room and pick up pig poop. 

how bad is Ukraine?

In Ukraine, you can expect to live with your parents in addition to your husband and children for your whole life in a 2 room apartment in an old building.

I think Julia is from Russia, but the scenario is probably similar  

• Love 2

Re-watching this episode and I had to laugh when Cougar Stephanie says to Ryan, “How many women have you slept with in the ten months we’ve been apart?” You can see the wheels turning in his head when he hesitates and then answers, “None.” He’s thinking he’s getting off on a technicality because there was no SLEEPING involved! 

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
On 1/31/2021 at 7:07 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

didn't see anything about charity.     It's also only available to U.S. viewers for now.

If you google “Discovery” channel, they say they will contribute $1.00 to UNICEF if you purchase the Discovery subscription.  I just read it, but don’t know how to forward it to this thread.  If I’m wrong, I apologize.  It’s half way down the page.

• Useful 1

I didn't see that in TV ads, I bet it's just in the other ads, and since I have no desire to ever get a streaming service, I wouldn't look at it. 

I wonder how many D+ subscribers will last beyond the free month, or the Verizon that gives you a free year?    Even if they put this version of the 90 Day show on the streaming, I'll just find something else to watch. 

Though I would miss episodes like this one.  This was an action packed episode, but it still matches the episode title. 

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Even if they put this version of the 90 Day show on the streaming, I'll just find something else to watch. 

Though I would miss episodes like this one.  This was an action packed episode, but it still matches the episode title. 

Dr. Kirk Honda (Psychology in Seattle) has a free youtube channel, and he reviews all of these shows (with clips) in detail.  I'm not sure if that will change if all of 90DF goes to D+, but I hope he's still able to review the shows.

• Useful 2
On 2/12/2021 at 11:15 AM, Lily247 said:

In Ukraine, you can expect to live with your parents in addition to your husband and children for your whole life in a 2 room apartment in an old building. Poor medical and dental services compared to here. Poor economy with little chance of bettering your situation. And for women, difficulty finding a man to marry after 25 or so. Bribery is rampant to get anything done well (even life saving surgeries). 

that puts it in perspective.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/4/2021 at 9:50 AM, Scarlett45 said:

Absolutely. I worked on some K-1 visas myself right out of law school at a low cost clinic, the 90 days isnt to "decide" to get married, its for wedding planning and logistics. You're supposed to be committed to getting married when you apply for the K-1 visa. That's why Mike and Natalie's situation aggravate me so, if Mike had changed his mind about marrying her why did he let her come??

I agree.  If she’s a problem now, what will she be when they marry?  He will be sorry.

• Love 2
On 2/5/2021 at 9:06 PM, KateHearts said:

I am sick of the "well-meaning" friends/relatives (such as Rebecca's pal) feeling the need and obligation to ask the "tough questions"; i.e. grilling the poor new-to-America fiancé when they are tired, disoriented and-- well, when it's not that person's business to begin with.  I was cringing at Rebecca saying to her friend, "well, what do you think?" -showing Zied off like he was a cattle at auction.  Her sobbing at the "ex" discussion (No. One. Cares.) was so stupid and fake.  And I want to know how someone can have their entire body festooned with tattoos but doesn't have a bed frame or a couch to sit on.

I heard tattoos are thousands of dollars.  I could never understand how they are a priority before essential things.  Plus, she looks like an aging biker.  A hefty aging biker.  He’s a young good looking guy.  Wait until he gets a load of beautiful young American women.  Yikes!  She’ll have to put a leash on him. Lol.

• Love 4
On 2/13/2021 at 2:31 PM, AZChristian said:

Dr. Kirk Honda (Psychology in Seattle) has a free youtube channel, and he reviews all of these shows (with clips) in detail.  I'm not sure if that will change if all of 90DF goes to D+, but I hope he's still able to review the shows.

I’m not going to pay anymore than cable, which is enough.  I think they are just trying to get suckers.  Cable and Netflix is enough.

• Love 3
On 2/13/2021 at 2:00 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I didn't see that in TV ads, I bet it's just in the other ads, and since I have no desire to ever get a streaming service, I wouldn't look at it. 

I wonder how many D+ subscribers will last beyond the free month, or the Verizon that gives you a free year?    Even if they put this version of the 90 Day show on the streaming, I'll just find something else to watch. 

I know.  It’s addictive.  Everyone watches, even men.  I think they are just trying this out, but doubt people will fall for it.  Hopefully.  I’m dying to see what’s up with Angela, Lara, Yarna and all the others that are waiting to come over.  It’s been awhile that we’ve seen them. 😃

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

I’m not going to pay anymore than cable, which is enough.  I think they are just trying to get suckers.  Cable and Netflix is enough.

Then I guess I'm a sucker. I don't have cable so Discovery+ is awesome for me.  It carries loads of shows that I haven't been able to watch in years because they're not available anywhere else. It's not just TLC. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

It's one thing to get Discovery + if you don't have cable, but I still do (to get internet too), and so streaming services on top of my cable bill would not be good financially.      My understanding is I would have to get a Smart TV too, for the easiest streaming, and I don't want an appliance that's smarter than I am. 

I would hate to miss the bizarre antics on this show, however I had to get it.  

On 2/8/2021 at 7:53 PM, RealReality said:

Julia's instincts are right, his parents aren't going to blame Brandon for this betrayal, they are going to blame her, and Brandon routinely throws her under the bus so there is that.  

I expect to see this couple next on TCL's newer show "I Married a Mama's Boy"  or "I love a Mama's Boy" or whatev the name of the show is.  They have set this couple up perfectly for that.

• LOL 1
On 2/9/2021 at 12:32 PM, mamadrama said:

Actually, the farm I'm talking about just bought an animal from Brandon's family about 2 weeks ago. Despite their horror at the idea of their son possibly having sex, it seems that's mostly what they do-breed. 

Wait, what? Did you ask them what Brandon and his family are like in person? Is Julia still there? Inquiring minds...

• LOL 4
15 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

Wait, what? Did you ask them what Brandon and his family are like in person? Is Julia still there? Inquiring minds...

It was very rude of them not to get more information while they were there. I was bummed. They didn't even know the family was on a show, though. 

Spoiler

There were no signs of Julia or Brandon. Just Mother Brandon and 2 other women-one of who looked like the so-called "neighbor" that appeared on the show (only going by a different name). 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I can't stand the way Rebecca speaks in broken English to Zied! Love the way mama Zied said WE are Tunisian, not Morrocan. As if the country you're from proves your authenticity. She must be sick of the constant reference of the nameless ex from Morocco too! LOL

Ah, Natalie, a 110 IQ is just above the average of 100. 139+ is considered genius, so no bragging rights (or MENSA membership) for you! The only thing these two have in common is thier utter disdain for each other (and the paycheck from this show (of course).

Lil man Bran & his family have a twisted, codependent dynamic that makes my skin crawl. Be the man!? Ha! With his fiance, but not with you or Mommy. If Julia has a kid, these controlling nut jobs might try to get custody.

Old blondie brings gifts all intended to dress up boy toy while she's strolling her 27 year old "arm candy" (meh...maybe a puke flavored harry potter jelly bean). He's unimpressed with the 3k watch that is made for a man sized wrist...maybe he can wear it on his bicep? At least until he sells it. It's definitely not worth knocking scrawny Mommy. Cash might get that D up for a quick bonding...lights out, no kissing or face-to-face positions.