Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Swerve and Volley

• Start Topic

Delia and Forrest decide to play tennis to add some camaraderie to their relationship, but instead get wildly competitive; when Wade tries to teach Grace to drive, she's reluctant to learn and confesses the surprising reason why to Michelle.

Original air date: 2/4/21

Great episode! Delia and Forrest’s dirty talk at the net was as awkward and asexual as they are, but if it works for them who am I to judge. Lol. And they just left Noah there??

I didn’t buy Grace not wanting her license, but I did understand how it emphasized how much further away from Jill she was getting. Jill didn’t know Grace the driver. Jill didn’t know Grace the high schooler who dates. It’s going to be like that for every milestone for the rest of her life. It’d be overwhelming to realize it.

Michelle nailed Ben’s reaction. Didn’t make it out of the driveway!

I’m happy with the paired down child situation. Addie especially hasn’t made an appearance or even gotten a mention in a while. I’ve been wondering if she’s going to get Chuck Cunningham’d.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

They did mention Addie-- that they can't go out late at night and leave her alone. I thought it was crazy-- isn't she old enough to babysit? But I guess they haven't totally forgotten she exists... yet.

I missed the line about Forrest's moms! 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

Addie especially hasn’t made an appearance or even gotten a mention in a while.

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

They did mention Addie-- that they can't go out late at night and leave her alone. I thought it was crazy-- isn't she old enough to babysit? But I guess they haven't totally forgotten she exists... yet.

Wasn't she in the episode where Shannon made dinner for Wade's friends? I swear she was the one making TikTok videos with Natalie when Noah wanted to join in.

• Love 3

One thing I liked that this episode demonstrated is that just because you know how to do something does NOT mean you are capable of teaching someone else how to do it. I've experienced this in other areas of my life (gifted and innovative dancers who could not break down how to do specific moves, smart people who couldn't explain pre-algebra to a kid who needed help with homework, etc). Michelle was the only one who was even tolerable at teaching Grace how to drive.

Part of me feels bad for parents because teaching a teenager how to maneuver what is basically a 2 ton killing machine made of metal is a HUGE responsibility. But as someone who had two parents who were not great driving teachers, I feel worse for the kids who are stuck with inadequate teachers. How do you expect a teenager to learn how to drive properly when you aren't giving her good instructions? Or when you randomly yell about the mailbox?

• Love 6

Watching the opening scene with Grace getting stuck in traffic was painful...everyone loses in that situation. Poor her 😞

In contrast, I loved the scene where Michelle tried to help her. Grace did well under her guidance, and it was nice of Michelle to try to impart her with more important knowledge for later down the line. She is so nurturing  ❤️ .

• Love 9
29 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Wasn't she in the episode where Shannon made dinner for Wade's friends? I swear she was the one making TikTok videos with Natalie when Noah wanted to join in.

I'd checked IMDb a couple weeks ago and knew she'd been in an episode earlier this season, but D/F's lives used to be all about her and their helicopter parenting. (I didn't hear them mention her in the list of things, but I tune out easily. Thanks, @possibilities.) Michelle and Ben have Noah around (since he's a fan favorite, I'm guessing.) Maybe she's getting equal time with the rest of Michelle/Ben's kids but it seems like less to me.

• Love 3

It does feel like less. I think Addie hasn't had an actual story of her own since one episode last season. I'm not even sure she's had a single spoken line this season.

I agree that Michelle trying to impart info parents don't usually tell you was cool. I like her parenting style, because it's blunt and honest and not overly protective. I think it was received as scary this week, but I liked it. 

• Love 5

Having taught 2 kids to drive, this really struck home!  Especially the mailboxes.  After taking my son out for the first time and talking about how it felt like he was too close on the right, a friend mentioned the first time he had driven with his father, that he kept yelling out "Mailbox!  Mailbox!" 

• LOL 5
13 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

2 ton killing machine

Thanks EB. You have found the new nickname for my little Honda. 🤣

Good episode. Once again Delia, Forest and Noah provides the laughs and not too much Father Knows Best.

Somehow I didn't miss Shannon.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, possibilities said:

It does feel like less. I think Addie hasn't had an actual story of her own since one episode last season. I'm not even sure she's had a single spoken line this season.

She hasn't had a story, but she definitely has had lines this season. During the season premiere, she asks Forrest if she can get her ears pierced after seeing Natalie had hers and then asks if she has to after Forrest says she can.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 2/4/2021 at 10:32 PM, Kiddvideo said:

Michelle nailed Ben’s reaction. Didn’t make it out of the driveway!

I loved that he tried to adjust the rear-view mirror so he could see behind them--in the passenger seat.

On 2/5/2021 at 4:06 AM, Kiddvideo said:

I'd checked IMDb a couple weeks ago and knew she'd been in an episode earlier this season, but D/F's lives used to be all about her and their helicopter parenting. (I didn't hear them mention her in the list of things, but I tune out easily. Thanks, @possibilities.) Michelle and Ben have Noah around (since he's a fan favorite, I'm guessing.) Maybe she's getting equal time with the rest of Michelle/Ben's kids but it seems like less to me.

At least Ben and Michelle's other kids have each other. And their teen daughter (can't remember her name) seems to be friends with Wade's daughters. But Addie always seems lonely to me. Or she always seems to be alone. That could be her preference, but if it's not, that makes me sad. 

• Love 4
19 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Having taught 2 kids to drive, this really struck home!  Especially the mailboxes.  After taking my son out for the first time and talking about how it felt like he was too close on the right, a friend mentioned the first time he had driven with his father, that he kept yelling out "Mailbox!  Mailbox!" 

You just reminded me of a story I read a zillion years ago in a magazine. It was a reader submitted anecdote about a couple who had a very long driveway and some kind of huge vehicle (maybe an RV?). They needed to back it out to the street so one of them drove and the other was standing outside to help guide them. The person outside started warning that the driver needed to angle a bit to avoid hitting the mailbox. The driver did not alter their course and yelled back, "I CAN SEE THE MAILBOX!" They kept going down the driveway and the person outside again warned that the mailbox was in peril and the driver again yelled, "I CAN SEE THE MAILBOX!" which was followed by the driver smashing the mailbox. The reader said that it ended up becoming their shorthand for "you are being unreasonable" so whenever they had arguments after that, if one of them said, "I can see the mailbox," it meant "you really need to calm the fuck down and listen to me."

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
On 2/5/2021 at 12:42 PM, meep.meep said:

Oh God, I am having such major flashbacks to my mom attempting to teach me how to drive, you absolutely a graduate of the "Mailbox! Mailbox!" school of driving instruction, including not letting me even leave the driveway. And our mailbox was on the other side of the street! If my dad wasn't actually decently competent at teaching driving, I would probably still be riding my bike to work. 

This was a fun episode, I am glad that Michelle was there to give Grace some actually good instructions on driving, and on life in general when they got a bit off topic. In general this episode had a lot of funny scenes, especially Forrest describing Delia playing tennis as one of those wavy things they put out at car dealerships, complete with gestures.  

• LOL 3