Type keyword(s) to search

The Hunger Games Series

• Start Topic

I heard that the other day as well.  I had read it was a hit in the UK but I hadn't realized they were pushing airplay here as well.  Can't complain, as I found it to be a lovely rendition but it was definitely weird.

The Hanging Tree has been playing on the radio here for awhile. It made Billboard's Top 40 and I'm still hearing it. Jennifer Lawrence can now add having a hit song to her already impressive resume. 

My thoughts on this franchise, in short form:

My favorite movie is Catching Fire, which makes sense, considering its my favorite of the books as well.

The original Hunger Games has some of my favorite additions from the books (including some more character moments from the other tributes, and the scenes with Seneca Crane), plus I thought the actors playing the other tributes, especially the kids who played Cato, and Foxface, were excellent. 

Mockingjay had my favorite sequence of the series in it, the whole Hanging Tree scene, from Katniss singing, the the dam exploding. That was just epic. 

• Love 2

They're exploring options to continue the franchise.

I always thought Haymitch's Games would've made a great movie, but there's so much they'd have to cut out to get to a PG-13 movie. I'm also not sure if Haymitch is going to be easy to write a movie around, because we know what happens to him.

A prequel would make the most sense...to do a sequel, you'd basically have to have Panem descend into chaos again, and that would be depressing. Maybe something on the First Quarter Quell? Possibly Mags? I can see Mags being a character you could write an new trilogy around. She's likeable, but most importantly, we don't know that much about her Games or how her life turned out after the Games.

In any event, I can't see Jennifer Lawrence or the bulk of the cast being willing to come back again.

Edited by methodwriter85

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I decided on here. I bought the (most expensive) Blu-ray version of this, because I like all the extras. During one of them Francis Lawrence was talking & mentioned working on his director's cut. Which means that there is going to be another version of the movie. So if you're thinking of getting the DVD/Blu-ray & haven't yet, I just wanted to give a heads up that another version will someday appear. He doesn't mention when, so it might not be until part 2 comes out on DVD/Blu-ray.

Thanks for the info! I've been hesitating to buy the movie because I figured there'd be some sort of box set for the combined movie or full series. I hate when films do several different types of releases, but then again, I own about 4 different versions of the Star Wars Trilogy, so obviously their tactics work.

Thanks for the info! I've been hesitating to buy the movie because I figured there'd be some sort of box set for the combined movie or full series. I hate when films do several different types of releases, but then again, I own about 4 different versions of the Star Wars Trilogy, so obviously their tactics work.

Me too, it's the extras that get to me, when different stores have different extras & I want them all. I bought the Target version with the "exclusive" stuff on a 3rd disc, & it turned out to be a rehash of some of the extras from the 1st disc, so it wasn't even worth it. Then I find out there's going to be another version of the movie. That sucks.

Me too, it's the extras that get to me, when different stores have different extras & I want them all. I bought the Target version with the "exclusive" stuff on a 3rd disc, & it turned out to be a rehash of some of the extras from the 1st disc, so it wasn't even worth it. Then I find out there's going to be another version of the movie. That sucks.

Really, they're recycling extras? That's disappointing to hear. Is there any new content on the 3rd disc, or is it all old stuff? I ask because I'm making a special trip to the nearest Target (an hour's drive each way) later this week to get the darn Target version of the movie. Add me to the list of people who hate the whole multiple-versions-of-the-same-dvd trick - I shouldn't need a buyer's guide to know which dvd to buy. /rant

That being said, I'm looking forward to seeing some deleted scenes - most of my favorite bits from MJ the book were left out, but overall I'd say the movie definitely improved on the book.

Really, they're recycling extras? That's disappointing to hear. Is there any new content on the 3rd disc, or is it all old stuff? I ask because I'm making a special trip to the nearest Target (an hour's drive each way) later this week to get the darn Target version of the movie. Add me to the list of people who hate the whole multiple-versions-of-the-same-dvd trick - I shouldn't need a buyer's guide to know which dvd to buy. /rant

The extras on the original disk have a 2 hour making of documentary with different sections. The third disc has very similar stuff as the documentary with I think only 3 sections. For example, there's a whole section on hair & makeup, & the third disc has a section on hair & makeup & even though it's not exactly the same thing, you can tell that the interviews were part of the same conversations with the same people and anything that's said has already been said in the documentary. To me, I could have saved the $5.00 extra that I spent to get that version. This is for the blu-ray version, I don't know what's on the regular DVD.

• Love 1

They're exploring options to continue the franchise.

A prequel would make the most sense...to do a sequel, you'd basically have to have Panem descend into chaos again, and that would be depressing. Maybe something on the First Quarter Quell? Possibly Mags? I can see Mags being a character you could write an new trilogy around. She's likeable, but most importantly, we don't know that much about her Games or how her life turned out after the Games.

In any event, I can't see Jennifer Lawrence or the bulk of the cast being willing to come back again.

Without Lawrence, and to a much lesser degree Hutchinson and Hemsworth, I don't think the franchise would have enough juice to continue on after MJ. Perhaps if the movies had several breakout stars that could carry on the torch more movies would work, but there hasn't been anyone but Jennifer. As great as it may sound in theory I don't think there would be a large number of people rushing out to see Haymitch or Mag's games on the big screen. And really what would be the point for making these into movies? Wouldn't it just be another character making it through the games like Katniss and Peeta, but perhaps in a more brutal way? What about that story would be just as or more interesting than what the audience has already seen in THG and CF? I guess they could explore how Panem originally fell and the Hunger Games started, but I can't really see that being enough to get large audiences interested either. Edited by Enero
  • Love 1

Something I found confusing: Finnick's speech was about being forced into prostitution, being pimped out, right? So, if that's how Snow and the capital do things, why was nothing of the sort ever done or even threatened to Katniss? I always found it implausible that there wasn't even a hint of sexual violence in the Games, and that Katniss and Peeta kissing was a big deal to an audience that's used to that level of gore. But these revelations about Finnick's experiences made it even more confusing.

(edited)

I think the reason why they never threatened Katniss with that was because she was already scaring the Capitol, and she was worth more to them as part of the Peeta/Katniss love story than as a prostitute.

Also, Katniss is supposed to be cute and skinny, and not a sexy bombshell. We're never supposed to think she's the heartbreaker that Finnick is supposed to be.

Although of course, Jennifer Lawrence toootttallly could have played Glimmer.

As for the logic of why a continuation/pre-quel won't work, it's true but that's never stopped a studio before.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

The Capitol also might have been holding off until she turned 18; Finnick said they didn't pimp him out for the first few years, although he was REALLY young when he won (14?)

• Love 2

I think Panem origins or even exploring Haymitch's generation (which includes Katniss's and Peeta's parents, who have their own history) could make an interesting TV show, but not necessarily a movie. The country of Panem was 75 years old, and I don't think Snow was meant to be over 100 years old, so his rise to power was probably years after the dark days had ended. I don't think these stories appeal as much to the YA crowd, and adults may not eat it up as much with a kids book attached to it, but I'd probably watch it.

Something I found confusing: Finnick's speech was about being forced into prostitution, being pimped out, right? So, if that's how Snow and the capital do things, why was nothing of the sort ever done or even threatened to Katniss? I always found it implausible that there wasn't even a hint of sexual violence in the Games, and that Katniss and Peeta kissing was a big deal to an audience that's used to that level of gore. But these revelations about Finnick's experiences made it even more confusing.

I think Peeta and Katniss were each other's buffer and that the Capitol was more interested in them in a voyeuristic way. I think that Snow also wanted to push the image of Katniss being this wholesome, dumb-in-love girl to the Capitol so they would never see her actions as an act of rebellion. Snow had more use for her as one of his puppets (forcing her to toe the company line through the Victory Tour and marry Peeta) than selling her. And she was a wild card who acted too impulsively, even when she was risking her life to protect the ones she loved, she was still inadvertently putting them in danger, so it was impossible to keep her on a leash. I think Peeta was in a far more vulnerable position of being sent down Finnick's path because of his charm and quick wit and ability to say and do the exact right thing at the right time.

And I guess I've probably read way too much THG fanfic, because the idea of sexual violence in the arena and the prostitution side of being a victor is something that's explored a lot.

Edited by absnow54
  • Love 1

Something I found confusing: Finnick's speech was about being forced into prostitution, being pimped out, right? So, if that's how Snow and the capital do things, why was nothing of the sort ever done or even threatened to Katniss? I always found it implausible that there wasn't even a hint of sexual violence in the Games, and that Katniss and Peeta kissing was a big deal to an audience that's used to that level of gore.

I think Peeta and Katniss were each other's buffer and that the Capitol was more interested in them in a voyeuristic way. I think that Snow also wanted to push the image of Katniss being this wholesome, dumb-in-love girl to the Capitol so they would never see her actions as an act of rebellion. Snow had more use for her as one of his puppets (forcing her to toe the company line through the Victory Tour and marry Peeta) than selling her. And she was a wild card who acted too impulsively, even when she was risking her life to protect the ones she loved, she was still inadvertently putting them in danger, so it was impossible to keep her on a leash. I think Peeta was in a far more vulnerable position of being sent down Finnick's path because of his charm and quick wit and ability to say and do the exact right thing at the right time.

I've always assumed that if Katniss had spent more than one tumultuous year as a Victor, she probably would've been pimped out - my personal theory is that Snow just hadn't gotten around to it yet, what with all the discontent brewing in the districts throughout CF.

And as far as the kissing being such a shocking thing in the Games, I figured that Hunger Games audiences had become to some degree desensitized to all the violence after how many decades, but I doubt an honest-to-goodness (as far as they knew) romance had ever been shown in the games. Look at our own movies and tv shows, where you can see gruesome corpses and beatings and all sorts of violence, yet actual romantic love scenes are few and far between. Or, if they're shown, earn a higher rating than endless fight scenes ever would.

• Love 2

Wasn't it seen as exceedingly rare when Katniss and Peeta held hands at 74th tribute parade because two people from the same district never tried to get too close to each other due to the possibility that they would have to kill each other? That's what made the Katniss/Peeta "romance" really different.

• Love 2
Wasn't it seen as exceedingly rare when Katniss and Peeta held hands at 74th tribute parade because two people from the same district never tried to get too close to each other due to the possibility that they would have to kill each other?

Yes, Katniss actually comments on this when Cinna tells her he wants her and Peeta to present a united front and the opening ceremony.

As for the prostitution, most have already answered but I agree that it was a combination of things. One, Finnick did state that it did not start until he was 18, and Katniss was only 16 when she competed in her first Games. Two, there was never any chance for Katniss to fully become the Capitol's plaything because things started unraveling in Panem almost immediately after her first Games. That's why she and Peeta never even got to be Mentors, something she feared a lot because she didn't know how she would handle seeing two District 12 kids go off to their death year after year. Instead, Snow found a way to throw them back into the arena to get rid of her.

Then as someone else noted, Katniss was never written in the books as being so stunningly beautiful, far as I remember. Peeta and Gale sure seemed to be attracted to her but you're never given the sense that everyone thinks she's just drop dead gorgeous. The story with Finnick was that he was so stunningly handsome and beautiful, to the point that it was partly what helped him win his Games so young, because he got so many sponsors and expensive gifts. So once he was of age, Capitol women were ready to do anything to sleep with him and Snow saw it as just another way to control another Victor, another way to keep them in line and remind them that he still controlled them all and there was nothing they could do about it. 

Ok so my interpretation (mostly from the books) was that there wasn't enough time between the Hunger Games and Catching Fire for her to get caught up in the Capitol. Catching Fire is a fascinating book in that is actually mostly about PTSD and Stockholm syndrome. So in the book I got the impression that for the year after their game, victors are kept pretty busy and are huge celebrities. Lots of ceremonies and interviews and excitement and they aren't given a lot of time to themselves. Then they go back to the next games as a sort of Kardashian celebutants. Then once they've completed this PR cycle they're sort of dropped. All the attention and adoration and "emotional support" ends and refocuses on the next victor. That's when they fall apart. Many probably find they don't fit in at home anymore and go back to the Capitol where they feel like everybody was on their side and supportive of them, but they find out that entering Capitol society has a price. With Katness and Peta they never went through that 2nd year of being a victor because the Quarter Quell and the war started. The movie sort of glosses over this dynamic.

• Love 2
(edited)

One thing I had really hoped the Mockingjay split was going to do was explore Haymitch and Johanna's characters more in terms of how the Capital affected them, but I didn't get that indication anymore. Instead it just seemed to be about continually fluffing up Gale and having Katniss pause a lot.

I did REALLY like how they added Effie to the story, however.

Edited by methodwriter85
(edited)

To be fair, Johanna's presence in Mockingjay is more significant after she and Peeta and Annie are rescued which is right where the first film ended. So we don't yet know what will or will not be shown in the second film. As for Haymitch, he too was missing for the first couple of chapters in Mockingjay, until he returned which we saw in the movie.

I did wish that they'd kept in my favorite moment between him and Katniss which is one of the deleted scenes on the DVD - when he tells Katniss to say it and she asks him how he could have left Peeta and then he says to her, how she could have allowed her and Peeta to get separated that night.

As for Gale, I didn't really think he was that forced into the film. Mockingjay was the book where he had the most presence so I expected to see more of him and honestly he was still fairly inconsequential in my opinion. Of course that's probably largely due to Liam's dullness and lack of making an impression.

Edited by truthaboutluv

To be fair, Johanna's presence in Mockingjay is more significant after she and Peeta and Annie are rescued which is right where the first film ended. So we don't yet know what will or will not be shown in the second film. As for Haymitch, he too was missing for the first couple of chapters in Mockingjay, until he returned which we saw in the movie.

I did wish that they'd kept in my favorite moment between him and Katniss which is one of the deleted scenes on the DVD - when he tells Katniss to say it and she asks him how he could have left Peeta and then he says to her, how she could have allowed her and Peeta to get separated that night.

As for Gale, I didn't really think he was that forced into the film. Mockingjay was the book where he had the most presence so I expected to see more of him and honestly he was still fairly inconsequential in my opinion. Of course that's probably largely due to Liam's dullness and lack of making an impression.

I didn't realize they had cut this scene out of the movie, it's one of my favorite from the book also.

First official trailer for Part 2. It looks great. I like that it doesn't really give away any major spoilers but has enough to create tension and anticipation. Finnick and Annie's wedding looks beautiful. 

• Love 3

It took them long enough for them to give us a decent trailer!  But it was still worth the wait.  I loved seeing Finnick's wedding and Katniss' mockingjay outfit...although the scene with Prim and Katniss dancing together killed me because

we all know she's going to be blown up. Rub more salt in the wound, why don't you, writers?!

Yeah the Prim and Katniss dancing scene really stuck out to me. I'm really excited to see how it's all sewn up and especially to see the performances from Jennifer with all Katniss goes through by the end and Josh especially too, with Peeta's struggle to come out of his hijacking. I am also interested to see what they do with Effie in the end since she's pretty much been inserted into parts of the story she wasn't in the books. 

That was incredible! I fee like a book reader, I could tell where a lot of those scenes came from. However, I love that Effie is the wildcard and how she's involved in the last movie. I always hated that she was a non-entity in Mockingjay the book.

I'm sort of excited that they did split this book. Looks like this fourth movie is going to be epic.

Holy crap, that looks awesome. It does look like there will be some changes made from the book, mostly with how the events in the Capital are handled. Hard to tell from the editing of course, but that half of the book could use some cleaning up anyway, IMO. I loved most of the additions the movie made to the first half of Mockingjay. I bet I will like these changes too. Can't wait until November!

• Love 1

I have been googling Hunger Games Marathon every week so I can get my tickets to the local theater screening of it.  I've scheduled time off from work back in March in preparation for the release.  Can't wait til November!!!

I'm watching these movies for the first time, as my girlfriend wants to see the last one at the cinema when it comes out.

They're not really that great, are they? Jennifer Lawrence and Woody Harrelson are decent enough, and Donald Sutherland is still great at bringing the creepy evil. But man, the biggest problem so far is what a completely limp waste of space Peeta is. I'm halfway through the second movie, and cannot fathom why anyone likes the character at all. He's practically a non-entity, yet I'm being asked to believe that people are willing to lay down their lives for him and say things like, 'you don't deserve that boy' or whatever? Perhaps he's better in the books.

The other dude isn't much cop either. He stays at home and does nothing in the first movie, then gets himself whipped in the second... and stays at home again. It's a love triangle with only one leg.

It's kind of funny that the premise is a gladiator-style battle to the death of teenagers, yet the desire fact it's aimed at young adults means they can't really show any of that bloody, ruthless violence. It's all very toothless.

Another thing: Maybe I'm not a fan of the right kind of 'reality TV' for this to make sense, but the more the organisers of the games fuck with the premise, the more I'd expect the viewers to get pissed off. They tune in to see kids kill each other, but get fireballs and poison fog and animal attacks thrown in to skew the results? I can't help but equate that with when officials in sports games keep blowing the whistle and not 'letting them play'.

I would definitely read the books. They're a surprisingly quick read, and while the movies are a pretty good adaptation, a lot of things get lost in the shuffle because they shift so much focus on Snow (in the books it's only from Katniss's POV, so we're not privy to all the politics.) Peeta, especially. In the books he's really funny and charming and bright, and him realizing Katniss's betrayal (pretending to be in love with him to get sponsors) is really heartbreaking. In the first movie, they really stripped him of his charm, and made him into this pathetic bumbling kid who Katniss constantly had to take care of. I thought his portrayal was improved leaps and bounds in the second movie, but the introduction of his character and his relationship to Katniss was so poorly done in the first movie, that it was hard to fix everything.

As for the format of the Games, a lot of the times the obstacles are used to force tributes into play. Katniss gets attacked by fire because she's camping peacefully in the woods miles from where any of the action is, so they steer her toward the Career pack to force a confrontation. The obstacles in the jungle kept the tributes constantly moving. And yes, it was a blend of a reality competition, probably more so than a sporting event, so seeing the children die in new and innovative ways was probably more entertaining than the same ole two kids fight to the death year after year after year.

• Love 3

Peeta, especially. In the books he's really funny and charming and bright, and him realizing Katniss's betrayal (pretending to be in love with him to get sponsors) is really heartbreaking. In the first movie, they really stripped him of his charm, and made him into this pathetic bumbling kid who Katniss constantly had to take care of. I thought his portrayal was improved leaps and bounds in the second movie, but the introduction of his character and his relationship to Katniss was so poorly done in the first movie, that it was hard to fix everything.

I've just finished the second movie. Peeta seems just as bad in this as he was in the first one. I can't fathom why Katniss cares about him, other than she's a Person Who Cares, but I completely buy Woody, Hoffman and the other guys saying, 'eh, we left him behind. No biggie'. 

As for him feeling betrayed by her pretending to be in love with him, he's the one who put that into play by trying to manipulate audience sympathies (and Katniss herself) with his crush confession. Guy had it coming to him. I'm very suspect of any train of thought that touches on, 'I have feelings for you, so you're obligated to reciprocate.'

And I have to say, I think that seeing the liquidation District 12 first hand would have been infinitely more interesting and powerful than all the shenanigans with the twirling island and the lightning tree. Baby Hemsworth vs that asshole commander guy would have been set up by the earlier scenes, and could have had a nice pay off.

I might give the books a read, though. Nearly every time a book is adapted to the screen, it loses a fair amount of it's depth and resonance.

Edited by Danny Franks

As for him feeling betrayed by her pretending to be in love with him, he's the one who put that into play by trying to manipulate audience sympathies (and Katniss herself) with his crush confession. Guy had it coming to him. I'm very suspect of any train of thought that touches on, 'I have feelings for you, so you're obligated to reciprocate.'

I never got the sense that Peeta felt she was obligated to reciprocate. That bugs me too. He has had a crush on her for forever, but he was out living his life just fine without her, until the Games forced them together really. I think he was upset because he actually thought she did have feelings for him, not just playing the game. I see a difference between saying oh yeah everyone, I have a crush on this girl (which helped out Katniss too) versus her kissing him and taking care of him and willing to die with him at the end. I'm pretty sure his crush is why it's so easy for him to think that she might have feelings for him too. Naive of him? Probably. In my mind, he just felt used and his feelings were hurt, but he does get over it without her having to reciprocate. I think Katniss wants to take care of him because she thinks he's a genuinely good guy and she doesn't see herself that way.

I have read the books and I like Peeta a lot because of that so I have to pretend I still see book Peeta in the movie.

• Love 3

I think it's also significant that, while Peeta's crush is genuine, Katniss spends most of the first movie assuming it ISN'T. She thinks it's just a publicity stunt, and it's true that Peeta's declaration of love is strategic (for both of them,) but his actual feelings are very real. Katniss, though, assumes they're both just playing to the audience, and so it doesn't even occur to her that he might take her actions to heart.

• Love 5

A lot was lost from the book without getting that peak into her mind.

Let's see not forget that Peeta's wounds are big time played down in the movie. At the time Katniss was playing love sick with him he'd lost lots of blood, had a fever from an infection for most of it and had from the start written himself of for dead.

• Love 2

A lot was lost from the book without getting that peak into her mind.

Let's see not forget that Peeta's wounds are big time played down in the movie. At the time Katniss was playing love sick with him he'd lost lots of blood, had a fever from an infection for most of it and had from the start written himself of for dead.

Played down as in the fact that Peeta should only have one leg.

• Love 6

Well, seeing as some folks were about to read the books I wasn't going to go there but: Yeah! That reveal was awful and made so much worse because Katniss' real feelings start getting very mixed up with the act she has been instructed to play.

That reminds me that the films seriously skimmed time off of those games. Do the 73rd games even feel like they took a week? It was 3 days between the time Peeta first got his wound and Katniss found him hiding in mud in the book. That's when you know this is sci-fi.

Edited by raezen
  • Love 1

Yeah Peeta doesn't get treated well in movie verse but I think that improved in the second movie. In the first movie he's essentially a non-entity. I read the books after the first movie so going into the second movie I definitely appreciated the character more.

I also felt Finnick as a character fares better in the books than in the movies.

Edited by bluvelvet
  • Love 5