Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: Ground Rules

Aulty

Jonah finds himself in trouble with Sandra and Glenn when her son, Tony, starts working at Cloud 9. Mateo tries to help Cheyenne be a better floor supervisor. Garrett is unwittingly thrust in the middle of Dina’s relationship with Brian the vet.

Original Air Date: 02/04/2021

I didn’t care for the fighting especially when it was an honest accident like Jonah and Tony. Matteo and Cheyenne are just assholes, so no surprise they eventually turned on each other.

I thought Dina was going to recommend a thrupple! It’s in her personality to tell her boyfriend — and we know she can separate sex from emotions — but I hope Garrett turns her down so he doesn’t get hurt again.

• Love 9
(edited)

Is Jonah staying with Glenn now?

I always thought Tony to be a smart kid, I didn't expect him to be so slow. The thruple stuff with Dinah and Garrett felt really contrived - and not for the first time in TV world it gives the impression that this is an agreement to fit only one person in the relationship.

As for Mateo, it was only a matter of time until he and Cheyenne had a big row. While it seemed a bit childish, its actually quite considerate that she did those little games on purpose and to lighten up everybody's day.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, Aulty said:

As for Mateo, it was only a matter of time until he and Cheyenne had a big row. While it seemed a bit childish, its actually quite considerate that she did those little games on purpose and to lighten up everybody's day.

Yes, I have worked in Superstores like this one and those 'stupid games' made all the difference in lifting morale. My favorite was 'Tiara Wednesday'. I still play games with myself when I enter my local Target as a customer. I give an 'award' in my head for the employee with the sharpest outfit- it appears they can wear any pants and top as long as the pants are khaki and the top is red. My favorite look is a red plaid shirt thrown over the entire ensemble. I also give an 'award' for the parent toting the most children. The record is 9 children for two adults and 6 children for one.. 

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 17
7 hours ago, Aulty said:

I always thought Tony to be a smart kid, I didn't expect him to be so slow. The thruple stuff with Dinah and Garrett felt really contrived - and not for the first time in TV world it gives the impression that this is an agreement to fit only one person in the relationship.

I was framing it in my mind as a boyfriend-approved, limited-scope affair rather than a thruple.

ETA: I don't think Jonah is staying with Glenn. He was telling Jerusha he wouldn't be there for dinner because he was going out with Jonah.

Edited by Kiddvideo
  • Love 1

Cheyenne might be ridiculous most of the time, but I think her games are actually a pretty good idea, and she seems like a decent floor manager. Her games might be silly, but if your spending all day working a soul crushingly boring and crappy job for almost no money, you would probably be thrilled to have anything to break up the monotony and have a tiny bit of fun. I don't really know why, but Cheyenne's impression of Mateo being an elderly and very stuffy British man really made me laugh. 

Poor Jonah, I hope he gets a win soon. 

• Love 17

Whoever here complained the writers were being too blatant with setting up Jonah and Nia and I responded saying I hoped they'd make Nia a lesbian...looks like we were both right, lol. I don't know whether to be disappointed that her sexuality will probably be a throwaway detail to humiliate Jonah (he's been such a fucking sad sack since getting with Amy, although it's obvious they're keeping him down post-breakup to make Amy returning so soon feel like his only option for a win) or relieved that they won't have time to saddle her with a toxic girlfriend.

I liked the twist with Garrett/Dina/the vet if only because it's a welcome change from the usual triangle jealousy - for now. I'm just not buying that Garrett suddenly has renewed feelings for Dina...Colton Dunn always plays him as super checked out, which doesn't help rebuild the chemistry.

Tony/Sandra's relationship is my favorite aspect of both characters, lol. His incompetency on the job did kind of come out of nowhere and felt like a set-up for yet another Jonah embarrassment. 

• Love 6

That scene with the security guard explaining why he only uses hand baskets had me rolling!  I can easily whisk through the store myself while getting what I need without the dreaded busted wheel on a cart, or the one that squeals so loudly, everybody in the store focuses their attention on you.

But, I wouldn't go as far as carrying two baskets at the same time.  I do reserve carts for bigger items.

• Love 11

Speaking as a lesbian, I've learned the hard way that if you are at all friendly to a straight male, he will think you are hitting on him. It's ironic, because the reason I'm relaxed is that I'm not at all interested and don't give a damn if he likes me or not. 

It seems like they've transferred the "sad sack" target to Jonah, now that Sandra isn't being used that way. 

I thought Garrett always had feelings for Dinah, never got over them.

• Love 6

I found the adoption of Tony super weird in the set up, but the bond between him and Sandra is actually rather sweet.

Dina and Brian the vet are so well matched I still don't want to see them broken up, how ever this is resolved.

I laughed a little at the kid grabbing the sheet off the bed while the music from the Animal House toga party was playing in the background.

6 hours ago, Utpe said:

But, I wouldn't go as far as carrying two baskets at the same time. 

"Like Neo, in the Matrix."

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

Nia being a lesbian didn't really surprise me, but the "generation" comment she made sure did!

Is she really supposed to be a decade younger than Jonah? That would make her around the same age as Cheyenne.

I thought that was a good and necessary comment. How old is Jonah, around 34? He is not young by any means, and yet what did he make of his life? Nothing. No qualifications, no valuable work experience. All he is good at is retail (and even that is questionable, he can't even work with minors for the next 6 weeks). He likes to brag about "doing a year of business school" but we had an episode that demonstrated how worthless that is. His one hope for a better life was getting with Amy.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

I'm just not buying that Garrett suddenly has renewed feelings for Dina...Colton Dunn always plays him as super checked out, which doesn't help rebuild the chemistry.

Maybe it’s just headcanon, but I feel like Garrett is always checked out about his job, but is kind of super invested in the relationships he has at work and that he actually has always cared for Dina. His playing around with every one at work is just a cover for that he actually likes them. And I totally see a lot of chemistry between Dina and Garrett, even if it is just sex with her. 

• Love 10

Glenn: “When I was a kid, we’d get hit, but we never cried about it because then... we’d get hit”

The good old “I’ll give ya something to cry about” 😆 Good times.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 2/5/2021 at 3:57 AM, Aulty said:

I thought Cheyenne's games were great a mateo was being a giant condescending douche.  it is a good way to lighten the mood of drudgery.   So I totally agree 

I like Dina and Garret together no matter how it happens. I never would have thought they'd be so good together before it happened but they work. 

• Love 7

That scene with the security guard explaining why he only uses hand baskets had me rolling!  I can easily whisk through the store myself while getting what I need without the dreaded busted wheel on a cart, or the one that squeals so loudly, everybody in the store focuses their attention on you

Or the cart that pulls to the left.

It's always been the case that the cast of supporting players is so big they can't afford to have them all in one episode, but I've noticed whenever the security guard is in an episode Marcus is absent, and vice-versa.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I thought Cheyenne's games were great a mateo was being a giant condescending douche.  it is a good way to lighten the mood of drudgery.   So I totally agree 

It seems like Cheyenne's games waste a lot of time. If you are a worker on the clock, that would be fine, but I would prefer it she talked to people and found out what departments they like, who they like to work with, and knowledge of the department to makes her choices.

15 hours ago, Harvey said:

I thought that was a good and necessary comment. How old is Jonah, around 34? He is not young by any means, and yet what did he make of his life? Nothing. No qualifications, no valuable work experience. All he is good at is retail (and even that is questionable, he can't even work with minors for the next 6 weeks). He likes to brag about "doing a year of business school" but we had an episode that demonstrated how worthless that is. His one hope for a better life was getting with Amy.

Jonah was 28 in season 1, so he'd indeed be 34 now. I don't think his future is all that dire. He's organized a union and has experience in negotiating on behalf of that union (even scoring a 'victory' even if it was short lived) with high level management. Since Cloud 9 is supposed to be something like Walmart he'd probably be on a few radars and could potentially move into either union organization or politics if he was motivated to do so.

My confusion was more that the two actors just don't look that far apart age wise IMO (and indeed there's only a 3.5 year gap between the two IRL), so it threw me for as much of a loop as it did Jonah.

• Love 9
On 2/5/2021 at 2:27 PM, Kip Hackman said:

Did not see the Nia twist coming.  Poor Jonah. 😄

If he really enjoys spending time with her because he admires her intellect, he should still be willing to go out with her (although I frown on going to restaurants now-much better to do take out.)  Of course, she may have other smart friends and may get enough of Jonah at work.

Otherwise, it seems like he only wants to spend extended time with her if she's interested in him romantically, which is a little bit insulting.

On 2/5/2021 at 11:50 AM, tennisgurl said:

Cheyenne might be ridiculous most of the time, but I think her games are actually a pretty good idea, and she seems like a decent floor manager. Her games might be silly, but if your spending all day working a soul crushingly boring and crappy job for almost no money, you would probably be thrilled to have anything to break up the monotony and have a tiny bit of fun.

I hope she's getting her extra pay now.

On 2/6/2021 at 5:39 PM, AnimeMania said:

It seems like Cheyenne's games waste a lot of time. If you are a worker on the clock, that would be fine, but I would prefer it she talked to people and found out what departments they like, who they like to work with, and knowledge of the department to makes her choices.

But presumably no one wants to clean the bathroom, for instance, and this way no one can complain about it.

• Love 2

I would prefer it she talked to people and found out what departments they like, who they like to work with, and knowledge of the department to makes her choices.

I'm sure there are departments nobody likes working in and departments everyone prefers to work in. Ultimately what Cheyenne is doing is the fairest solution for everyone, I think.

• Love 2

With the show ending I really hope that they don't have Mateo and Cheyenne become friends again.

Take a page from real life...sometimes friends have a falling out and they never kiss and make up.

Besides...Mateo has always been a horrible person, not worthy of the sympathy everyone showers on him over his immigration status (we never saw any acknowledgement on screen that Jeff risked his career to try and warn the store the feds were coming)

No...let them stay estranged.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, North of Eden said:

With the show ending I really hope that they don't have Mateo and Cheyenne become friends again.

Take a page from real life...sometimes friends have a falling out and they never kiss and make up.

Besides...Mateo has always been a horrible person, not worthy of the sympathy everyone showers on him over his immigration status (we never saw any acknowledgement on screen that Jeff risked his career to try and warn the store the feds were coming)

No...let them stay estranged.

Damn straight.  Let them stay estranged.  I've never been a fan of either:  Cheyenne has no redeeming qualities and her status as a "Hottie?" (not by me, stupidity is such a turn-off) is negated by her dull, drug addled mind and being married to Bo doesn't help. Mateo, can continue to be made an A$$ of since he's nothing but a self-centered jerk.  I'm feeling like this show has lost it's way.  I thought the Covid episode was a good start but then they ruined it by going too far with the emphasis on African Americans' struggle in the next episode  I recently went into quite a few drug stores looking for African-American hair care products and found that certain products are no longer carried, so I appreciated the recognition but then the faux commiseration and ensuing sitcom scenes made the whole thing depressing. Then came the Kelly redux.  I like Kelly and think she has chemistry with Jonah, more so than Amy. However, the whole thing smacked of desperation by everyone and then this whole Nia thing, was a quick change of direction (thankfully, it wasn't Jonah's idea).  Finally, this whole Garrett/Dinah thing is totally ridiculous.  Garrett should have told Dinah to take that "Boy Toy" crap and shove it.  Dinah so much as told Garrett he is now her scratching post.

Don't even get me started on Sandra and Tony's Mommy issues.

• Love 3