Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E12:Whitney Gets Her Groove Back

• Start Topic

For some time, I have believed that Whitney suffered some traumatic event during in adolescence, which stunted her emotional development. Judging by her behavior in the preview, her development was arrested during the toddle stage. I would feel sorry for her, but she has all the opportunities, options and wherewithal to overcome and become a better person, yet avails herself of none of them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 16

I skipped to the preview but I’m like is she trying to be naked, so they wouldn’t film whatever she was trying to talk to Buddy about, but then I’m like she’s always naked why would they stop filming? The crew has probably seen her naked a billion times by now.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Brodicea said:

For some time, I have believed that Whitney suffered some traumatic event during in adolescence, which stunted her emotional development. Judging by her behavior in the preview, her development was arrested during the toddle stage. I would feel sorry for her, but she has all the opportunities, options and wherewithal to overcome and become a better person, yet avails herself of none of them.

I can believe that, every time she has one of her crying fits she acts like a toddler. Same facial expressions and everything.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I don't even know who to quote--I've really liked all of your responses.

I'm not obese and never have been (I have my own set of issues) and once in a while I tune in to "My 600-LB Life."  Seems to me the weight issues start in the head.  Whit would be much better served to go to therapy before thinking about surgery.  Interesting to me is that both of her parents (if I remember correctly) supported WLS in their THs.  

I get cognitive dissonance listening to her.  *Whaa, life would be easier if I were a normal weight!*. Answer, yes life is physically easier at a normal weight.  *Whaa, I have anxiety and can't deal.*.  Yes, therapy will help--food won't.  *Whaa, my parents have finally accepted me.*. Uh, they want you to pursue WLS.

She has the ability to turn her life around but probably won't based on the previews.  She gets mad at Buddy and tears her top off?  Okay, those are normal coping behaviors.  Not.

She seems likable enough to me (a fairly new viewer) but I haven't seen her really address why she is obese.  Literally, the elephant in the room.  Solve that.

• Love 10
7 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

I can’t bring myself to watch this shit show anymore, love the snark though. But I am wondering, why would Whit need to tell the doctor how much she weighs? There is no chance you go to a WLS doctor and they don’t weigh you themselves. No way they take your word for it. So either it was all staged and she only told them her weigh (or what she claims is her weight) because it was part of the script or it was a real doctor’s appointment and they didn’t film the weighing part because they knew it was way over 332. Of course if that was the case then they at least had to get the doctor to agree not to tell he she’s lying about her weight on camera. 

It was a video consultation so there wasn't a weigh in. It may very well have been staged, but lots of doctors are doing these right now. If she were actually being assessed for surgery then she would need an in-person appointment, but that's not what this was. 

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

It was a video consultation so there wasn't a weigh in. It may very well have been staged, but lots of doctors are doing these right now. If she were actually being assessed for surgery then she would need an in-person appointment, but that's not what this was. 

Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying for me. I just couldn’t face watching her. 

• Love 1

It ain’t rocket science, Whitney.  If you are 5’2”...322 or above is not an ideal Fabulous Life.

Weight Loss Surgery?   How would you have a big fat fabulous life if you care about how fat you are?

“Are you trying to get pregnant right now?”  (Asked by virtual appointment weight loss surgery consult contact). Why is getting pregnant such an issue?  

She wants to be some kind of beacon of hope for fat chicks that get shamed?  Epic fail.  It’s 2021, fertility isn’t necessarily  a barometer of female success in this society, thank everything Holy.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, albarino said:

I get cognitive dissonance listening to her.  *Whaa, life would be easier if I were a normal weight!*. Answer, yes life is physically easier at a normal weight.  *Whaa, I have anxiety and can't deal.*.  Yes, therapy will help--food won't.  *Whaa, my parents have finally accepted me.*. Uh, they want you to pursue WLS.

I think Whitney is desperate to feel "fabulous" again, and to keep the show on the air.  She was getting a false sense of "fabulousness" from her fake relationship with Ryan because of how she thought it looked to the world (meanwhile most of us knew it was fake so she was only fooling herself).  When he suddenly didn't provide that feeling for her anymore she was forced to find another fake reason to make people think she's fabulous so that she in turn would feel fabulous and have more plot lines to keep the show going.  So there she was grasping at straws sitting in her lonely little condo. on lockdown all those weeks thinking of a way to keep the show on the air and make herself look like a winner.  She realizes she's failed at just about everything now, even the one thing she might have achieved that would have given her the most admiration, and that's losing weight.  She knows she can't do it on her own so she's looking for a magic bullet in considering the WLS.  And it's all about how she thinks others are going to feel about her if she loses weight. She is also still holding out the vain hope that all she has to do is threaten WLS and the world will flock to her and tell her she's still "fabulous" even at her current weight.  That may still suffice somewhat in her desperate state.  But it may not, and it probably isn't enough to keep the show on the air either.

I think Twit knows deep down that she is getting older.  She has to be realizing what the future will look and feel like in the future as she ages.   If she could stop equating WLS with making the world accept her and concentrate on the medical and physical reasons it would be a good idea, she might be on the right track.  But unfortunately she's not at that point so she wouldn't be doing it for the right reasons and would likely be disappointed in the result.  But in only a few years her cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar are certainly going to go up, up, up.  Plus her joints are not going to take the abuse she puts them through much longer.  So the writing's on the wall and deep down she probably knows it.  It's just that she is primarily looking for validation and acceptance and will likely forget about the physical dangers of being so obese if she manages to find a way to make herself feel and in her mind look "fabulous" again without the surgery.  And that's really a shame. 

Wait until she's my age - You realize your health is the most important thing and you want to do whatever you can to improve it, and screw how anyone else feels about you!  Unfortunately she is so dysfunctional she probably won't ever actually get the WLS unless the show basically forces her into losing weight in exchange for future seasons.  I can see it now, she'll be shuttled off to Discovery+ like so many other series these days.  But at least she'll still have her show.   I think she may have made a "deal" with herself similar to the one she made with Buddy that she would seriously consider WLS if it was the very last resort in order to keep the show on the air.  And she may be engaging in some kind of rationalization that it will make her look like a winner finally, so it's a good idea on that basis too.  So whatever, if that makes her get the surgery it might actually be a good thing for her.  She may actually "fake it until she makes it". One can only hope.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, kicotan said:

“Are you trying to get pregnant right now?”  (Asked by virtual appointment weight loss surgery consult contact). Why is getting pregnant such an issue?  

After WLS, you’re supposed to wait a year before getting pregnant, so it is something that may affect timing of surgery

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Tarar said:

i do believe she said this doctor was an "Obesity Medicine." whatever that means. 

That's a new one. Kind of like geriatric medicine except its for  the morbidly obese?  I think she's full of shit as usual.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, Tipsymcstagger said:

God - Fatney is such an asshole. Crying and telling her mom that her daring to suggest WLS to her when she was just “slightly” morbidly obese was SO TRAUMATIZING. Gotta love that guilt trip as she sits there with a festering sore on her forehead. Only 10 minutes in and already annoyed with this idiot. She’s gonna expect asspats until she’s dying.

Slightly morbidly obese is sort of like being a little bit pregnant. You are, or you aren't; there isn't a half-step.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

Whitney never was going to get WLS.  This was just her PSA for the fat viewers.  She was emphatic on her successful "weight loss".  No way the Dr. was going to ok this after hearing her blame everyone from her father to damn near the boom mic guy for her condition.

As for Whitney going naked all the time I've known larger women with mammoth boobs that were always putting them on display as if their blobs of boobs would detract from everything else.  Seriously does this work for guys?

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Whit claiming on her video consult that she weighed 380 and is now 322 proves that she doesn't need WLS. She can do it on her own, she just a lazy bitch looking for an easy way to drop the weight. I do believe that she's 322 because that is still morbidly obese for a woman that is only 5'2. If you look at the beginning season's you can see the difference. 

On My 600 Pound Life, Dr. Now always makes the patients lose a large amount of weight before surgery - sometimes over 100 pounds. Sometimes it's to get them to a safe enough weight to do the surgery but there's always the need to see that a patient can make necessary dietary and lifestyle changes to be successful with the surgery. He even says that after they have lost significant weight without the surgery, they really do need to have it; it's too hard for them to continue to lose weight with a stomach that is so stretched out.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, sara1025 said:

"To this day I've never had a high blood pressure reading"

flashback to ER episode after she passes out and the doctor says her blood pressure is high

Right up there with her claiming she couldn't help Buddy more because she has no experience with addiction.

The asshole obviously has a food addiction and then I found out the asshole also dealt with an Adderall addiction.

The truth is not always forthcoming when it comes to Whitney.  

-----

Regarding that telemedicine consult with the bariatric surgeon, did that doc mention even once that Whitney would be high risk for anesthesia?  Granted, I was eye rolling so hard during that scene that I probably rendered myself semi-comatose at some point, but I never heard the doc address that.  In my experience, the actual procedure itself, done laparoscopically, has minimal risks; however, it's the anesthetic that presents a whole different set of risks.  I thought she volleyed answers to Whitney's questions like the procedure was no more risky than having a mole removed.  

-----

I'm very disappointed in Jessica as well.

This woman is (supposedly) a personal trainer and health/fitness expert.

Yet she blew off Whitney's contemplating weight loss surgery.  

Yes, Whitney's (supposed) desire for weight loss surgery is for all the wrong reasons, but I would expect a "professional" like Jessica to tell Whitney something like, "Well, if you've exhausted all other efforts to lose weight on your own, bariatric surgery might be a good option to address health issues, such as your blood sugar, knee pain, back pain, potential hypertension, and other possible health complications related to your weight."

But nope.  Instead of focusing on Whitney's health, Jessica just rolled with the plan and told Whitney how fabulous she and her life are.  

Ugh.  

That comedienne was absolutely correct.  Most of these barnacles are just enabling Whitney straight into an early grave.  😕

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
13 hours ago, albarino said:

I haven't seen her really address why she is obese.

I'm a newer viewer, too. My understanding from reading comments here is that she claims to have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). That's a 'chicken or egg' answer, though, since according to many authorities, if the symptoms show up later in life (not around puberty), the syndrome may actually be caused by weight gain. 

She stays away from discussions about food consumption, and seems to hide or disguise evidence of her over-eating. She seems to prefer that the world see her as the victim, rather than the destroyer, of her own body.

• Love 14

So in the preview where she blows up at Buddy and rips off her shirt, was that because he didn't make her a salad ?

I really can't stand people like her, always looking for gratification from others, telling her she is "perfect" just as she is... blah... I do agree she needs some counseling stat...She can't be alone, barks at Buddy for food. I shook my head when I heard Hunter say she is the strongest person he knows...um no, a strong women doesn't rely on others to live with them, cook for them or even wipe their ass.

Weight loss surgery isn't a quick fix, you will have to follow the diet for the rest of your life and that is something I don't see Whitney doing. My neighbor had it done about 2 years ago and she is now back up to almost her weight before surgery.

• Love 16
16 hours ago, sara1025 said:

"To this day I've never had a high blood pressure reading"

flashback to ER episode after she passes out and the doctor says her blood pressure is high

Thank you. I wasn’t sure I heard that correctly. Didn’t we just see 3 episodes of her kvetching about not being able to work out because of her FUCKING PANIC ATTACKS?!!?  And yet she’s never had a high blood pressure reading?  

Does she mean she’s never had her blood pressure read when she’s high?

Glenn knows what’s up. Whitney’s NEVER going to change her eating habits. If she gets WLS she’s guaranteed to shit her spandex at least once a day. And he and Babs sure don’t want to be on clean-up duty for that. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
On 1/27/2021 at 10:41 AM, Persnickety1 said:

OTOH, whoever picked those outfits for her from Stitch Fix did an excellent job.  Very flattering fit and style.  Of course, Whitney will undoubtedly return to her sports bras and leggings next week.  You can lead a horse to water...

Yeah.  I actually felt very happy for her, seeing how nice she looked in those clothes.  Had she never tried them on before?  Is Stitch Fix one of those where you tell them your size, or send in your measurements, or what?  Those dresses seemed to fit her much better than the too-snug ones we've seen her in.  And are we learning now, at this late date, why she is always in underwear/sports bras/leggings?  She didn't know there were actual real clothes made in her size?

She must have quite a phobia about being seen in public, this Fat & Fabulous gal, because I'm sure a city the size of Charlotte has clothing stores for the larger lady.

And she finally got the news about supportive underwear!

I hope we will now see Whitney actually clothed.  It's cute for a toddler to run around in a diaper and undershirt, but for a 30-something woman, not so much.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Mothra said:

Yeah.  I actually felt very happy for her, seeing how nice she looked in those clothes.  Had she never tried them on before?  Is Stitch Fix one of those where you tell them your size, or send in your measurements, or what?  Those dresses seemed to fit her much better than the too-snug ones we've seen her in.  And are we learning now, at this late date, why she is always in underwear/sports bras/leggings?  She didn't know there were actual real clothes made in her size?

She must have quite a phobia about being seen in public, this Fat & Fabulous gal, because I'm sure a city the size of Charlotte has clothing stores for the larger lady.

And she finally got the news about supportive underwear!

I hope we will now see Whitney actually clothed.  It's cute for a toddler to run around in a diaper and undershirt, but for a 30-something woman, not so much.

I'm pretty sure Lane Bryant is in most major cities

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

So in the preview where she blows up at Buddy and rips off her shirt, was that because he didn't make her a salad ?

I really can't stand people like her, always looking for gratification from others, telling her she is "perfect" just as she is... blah... I do agree she needs some counseling stat...She can't be alone, barks at Buddy for food. I shook my head when I heard Hunter say she is the strongest person he knows...um no, a strong women doesn't rely on others to live with them, cook for them or even wipe their ass.

Weight loss surgery isn't a quick fix, you will have to follow the diet for the rest of your life and that is something I don't see Whitney doing. My neighbor had it done about 2 years ago and she is now back up to almost her weight before surgery.

I know that I've mentioned the woman at my gym who had WLS 10+ years ago,  did great the first couple of years,  but is now creeping into Dr. Now  territory --- butt wings and all. Of the dozen or so people I've known who had WLS,  exactly 1 has kept the weight off.

• Useful 6
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Brodicea said:

For some time, I have believed that Whitney suffered some traumatic event during in adolescence, which stunted her emotional development.

I think you're right and I also wonder if it was something as benign as...puberty. Puberty was not kind to me. I always thought I was naturally depressed and incapable of being happy but then I realized that my problem is actually anxiety which started when I was 12-13. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
23 hours ago, Kid said:

Who attempts to make the climb she was attempting to make when you know damn well you can't do it?  All joking and snarking aside,  if she ever slipped and started to fall, no one would be able to stop her and she could end up paralyzed or dead.  I mean it's just stupid. The producers seem hell bent in making her look as bad as possible, but this is dangerous and they have done it countless times before.  She gets stuck and bellows!!  Rinse and repeat.

I know!  They should all be terrified, and make her stick to rolling over large logs and walking half a mile.

20 hours ago, albarino said:

She seems likable enough to me (a fairly new viewer) but I haven't seen her really address why she is obese.  Literally, the elephant in the room.  Solve that.

She has told us

1. PCOS

2.  She doesn't eat enough (😳 )

3.  She lost weight in the past by starving herself and that's too dangerous

4.  If she tries to lose weight she'll become bulimic again

5.  She doesn't feel like photographing her food for her trainer because she wants to eat what's on the buffet

6.  She has three pizza apps on her phone so she can order from different places without any of them thinking she's a pig

7.  If she eats only half of the giant cookie in her car she expects praise

She has not had much to say when

1. Babs cleans her room and comes out with tons of dirty plates and empty wine bottles

2.  Glenn tells her to clean her car and opens the hatchback, causing fast food bags and wrappers to roll out like dust bunnies

3.  Her trainer busts her pigging out in her car (actually yes she did - see #7 above)

Other than that we've had to figure it out for ourselves 😄 

• LOL 10
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Did you see the look on Buddy's girlfriend's face when she did that??  Can you imagine dating somebody and his roommate has no compunction about tearing off her shirt with her tits hanging out.

You notice, he is living with his new girlfriend and not in Mount Whitney's house.

Say what one likes about Buddy, but he earned that TLC paycheck.  If she is not bellowing at him, she fishing for compliments, or trying to get him to hook up with her, or giving him orders, or expecting him to wait on her or embarrassing him.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 16
3 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:
6 hours ago, Nicmar said:

I'm pretty sure Lane Bryant is in most major cities

I am not sure. Catharines Plus sizes went bankrupt and I think Lane Bryant is part of gge same corporation. 

The company that owns both went bankrupt and Lane Bryant closed over 150 store locations last year.  Toward the end of last year the company was bought by a private equity firm that plans to turn the brand around.  It also owns Ann Taylor and Loft as well as Catherines.  There are a couple of LB locations still in the Charlotte area.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Kid said:

Did you see the look on Buddy's girlfriend's face when she did that??  Can you imagine dating somebody and his roommate has no compunction about tearing off her shirt with her tits hanging out.

You notice, he is living with his new girlfriend and not in Mount Whitney's house.

Say what one likes about Buddy, but he earned that TLC paycheck.  If she is not bellowing at him, she fishing for compliments, or trying to get him to hook up with her, or giving him orders, or expecting him to wait on her or embarrassing him.

I thought that was Ashley standing there at the kitchen counter. 

Not that it matters-your point is still valid. 😊

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

The company that owns both went bankrupt and Lane Bryant closed over 150 store locations last year.  Toward the end of last year the company was bought by a private equity firm that plans to turn the brand around.  It also owns Ann Taylor and Loft as well as Catherines.  There are a couple of LB locations still in the Charlotte area.

The sad reality is that the options for a plus sized woman going to a physical store, trying on things and finding a variety of options is pretty limited. It's definitely better than it was years ago when the Women's section would be shoved in the basement of the department store next to the luggage and more high end brands have extended sizes but options still are not fantastic. Lane Bryant, for example goes up to a size 28 and doesn't carry all of their sizes in their brick and mortar stores (I remember my mom being frustrated that they often didn't have pants in petite sizes in the stores) which means that you'd have to order the size you wanted and hoped that it would fit/look good). The Avenue closed all of their stores and is on line only. Torrid is still around, but is aimed at a younger demographic than Whitney. Swimsuits for All is strictly on-line but has an amazing assortment of bathing suits of all kinds in size 8 up. For most plus sized women, mail order is where they'll have the most options, but that means ordering and returning a lot of stuff since you can't try it on. It can be very frustrating.

And many brands that have plus sizes don't carry them in all their stores. I was very frustrated that Ain Taylor Loft boasted about their extended size range, but carried it in nearly none of their stores. Old Navy does, which is a plus. And Macy's flagship store in NYC has a fantastic Women's section with all of their top brands (like Calvin Klein). 

The other problem for Whitney is that she is towards the larger end of plus sized so she likely would still have trouble finding things in actual stores. Once you're over 300 pounds at her height, you're going to probably be more than the sizes that even LB might have in stock. That means that mail order are likely your only options.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I am not sure. Catharines Plus sizes went bankrupt and I think Lane Bryant is part of gge same corporation. 

I'm a size 16/18 at 5'8" and LOVE Lane Bryant! They are not cheap but they have fantastic styles! 

And underwear!

I just drove by one yesterday and it looks like they are still open. Plus they have a great website.

Avenue is another great plus size website. I think some stores still open.

And Torrid.

Edited by seasons
  • Love 3

As a tall person I have to order all of my clothes. Not a lot of companies make tall clothes and those that do don’t carry them in the store. So I don’t feel sorry Whit if she needs to order clothes to get her size. And we know she is aware of clothes options that fit her. We do occasionally see her in cute and appropriate clothing. She just chooses the overstretched spandex. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
44 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

As a tall person I have to order all of my clothes. Not a lot of companies make tall clothes and those that do don’t carry them in the store. So I don’t feel sorry Whit if she needs to order clothes to get her size. And we know she is aware of clothes options that fit her. We do occasionally see her in cute and appropriate clothing. She just chooses the overstretched spandex. 

I have a the same issue as well cause I am tall. So a lot the stores sell specialty sizes but only online plus, petite, tall and including maternity.I have friend who is plus size and she finds really nice stuff at Walmart and Target. But her go to store is Lane Bryant.

• Love 2
On 1/27/2021 at 7:47 PM, Brodicea said:

Here's my 50,000 foot diagnosis of Whitney (sorry for the verbosity that follows):

Whitney is part of the first generation to view "Reality TV Star" as a viable career path for anyone with an interesting angle.  Of course, Whitney's problem is that she's utterly uninteresting.  She's a boring, run-of-the-mill morbidly obese unemployed thirtysomething living in her parents' home.

By a stroke of "luck", or "fate", or "coincidence", TLC had exhausted its vein of home-improvement/self-improvement programming and decided to become a traveling circus of REALLY REALLY BIG PEOPLE and really really small people.  So she decided to waddle through a (probably heavily edited) YouTube video that she lucked into going viral and parlayed it into grist for the TLC programming mill.  

Of course the only "interesting" things about Whitney's life (which are actually embarrassing things) such as needing her mother to shave her legs, needing help wiping her own ass, consistently tearing the seams of her pants, etc. were only really good for a single segment of a single episode of a single show on the struggles of morbidly obese people.  So everything else had to be made up.  TLC doesn't care because it's inexpensive, provides hours of programming, and they realize that the "reality" part of  realty tv has always been in quotes.  

Up until now Whitney has generally been able to control and direct the narrative, with the few exceptions that the show has allowed to bleed through (which, imo, are the result of the production crew genuinely disliking Whitney for being such an entitled asshole).  

This season was set up for Whitney to have fans and (more importantly) vendors and other TLC franchises gush over her wedding planning, only for Whitney to demonstrate her "powerful, fat-girl, independence" by "dumping Chase".  That all blew up when Chase got his real girlfriend pregnant.  Most importantly, though, it blew up in such a way that Whitney could no longer manipulate the narrative to assert control.  

And so she's fallen back on the only other character trait she possesses, victimhood.  But Whitney's not a victim.  Not a victim of Chase, or "society" or of any past trauma.  She's just a lazy loser.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 17
8 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I thought that was Ashley standing there at the kitchen counter. 

Not that it matters-your point is still valid. 😊

I did not catch that - I was so focused on the drama queen!!🤣🤣  I will have to watch next week just to see what instigated that childish performance.  

• LOL 3
4 hours ago, Hana Chan said:

That means that mail order are likely your only options.

Isn't that where we've all been for the last year? I wear a size 2, and I've been unpacking boxes and trying stuff on in my bedroom, and repacking stuff and returning it, and it's a pain. However, I now have 4 new bottoms, 5 new tops, 2 new pairs of boots and a new pair of slippers. I'm looking forward to going back to the old way, but (shrugs) this isn't that terrible. It's more time-consuming, but it's not like Whit has anything else to do.

Honestly, I would think in some ways it would be more comfortable for a super-large person to try clothing on at home. Personally, I always get sweaty and disheveled in fitting rooms.

• Love 7

I've become accustomed to online shopping (probably way too much!).  There are still catalogs that can be sent to your home.  I like seeing things on me in my natural surroundings to see if it works for me.  I see Whit gravitating more to Torrid and they do have some nice things.  Key is to shop what fits you and not what you can fit into. 

• Love 7

If Whitney lost 50 pounds like some doctors want before surgery, she would weigh less than 275. Surely at that weight, they wouldn't do such drastic surgery on a person? Plus of course her friends and family all love her just as she is. If she loses weight, the gravy train will most likely soon end.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

Isn't that where we've all been for the last year? I wear a size 2, and I've been unpacking boxes and trying stuff on in my bedroom, and repacking stuff and returning it, and it's a pain. However, I now have 4 new bottoms, 5 new tops, 2 new pairs of boots and a new pair of slippers. I'm looking forward to going back to the old way, but (shrugs) this isn't that terrible. It's more time-consuming, but it's not like Whit has anything else to do.

Honestly, I would think in some ways it would be more comfortable for a super-large person to try clothing on at home. Personally, I always get sweaty and disheveled in fitting rooms.

Stitch Fix is actually great for that - they include a prepaid return envelope and you just put in whatever you don't want and send it back. You just have to remember to do it within whatever their timeframe is. Whoever picked out her stitchfix, product-placed clothing did an excellent job. I particularly loved the all black top and pants but the dress also was lovely. She should stick with them.

• Love 11
(edited)
On 1/27/2021 at 5:31 AM, DanaMB said:

This bitch did not just air quote obesity medicine. Such denial. 

Still trying to make sense of her "consultation" with her former doctor who may or may not be the same one she claims told her diabetes is "stress induced." (You'd think if this were the same doctor, she'd be gently but firmly contradicting Whitney's erroneous characterization of her diagnosis. "Not exactly, Whitney. What I said, when you asked,  was that stress can be a contributing factor, but stress alone does not cause diabetes." Otherwise, the doctor looks inept, at best.)  But it came across to me as if Whitney was referring to someone else. In any event, it doesn't seem as if this doctor does bariatric surgery herself. This is how wikipedia defines "obesity medicine:"

"Obesity medicine is a field of medicine dedicated to the comprehensive treatment of patients with obesity. Obesity medicine takes into account the multi-factorial etiology of obesity in which behavior, development, environment, epigenetic, genetic, nutrition, physiology, and psychosocial contributors all play a role."

I thought one of the principle contentions of the Healthy At Every Size community was that medical doctors fixate on their weight, to the exclusion of other possible reasons for their health concerns. So here we have Whitney, five years ago at least, being seen by a specialist whose entire practice is focused on obesity as a disorder that requires comprehensive, multi-faceted treatment. I expect that, as with Will, Whitney blew off all the advice and warnings and never committed to treatment. And now she is back consulting with that doctor regarding surgery.  Sort of. I think she really wanted to be told she was fine as is. What she was told is that she  is not currently a candidate for bariatric surgery because she would need to address her eating disorders before anything else. But I don't think she heard it, or believed it if she did.

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Ketzel said:

What she was told is that she  is not currently a candidate for bariatric surgery because  she would need to address her eating disorders before anything else. But I don't think she heard it, or believed it if she did.

That's the bottom line isn't it?  She can get as much surgery as she wants but if she doesn't make permanent changes she's just going end up back where she is now.  She really needs some good therapy.  After hearing some of the things her parents have said to her I can understand why she would, but she seems so resistant to it.

• Love 4
On 1/27/2021 at 10:40 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Another point, is that I don't think Whit's personality or negativity as some would describe it, is keeping her from having a boyfriend.  PLENTY of very rude, negative, controlling people have partners, lovers, spouses, etc.  Some of the most unstable and disturbed women that I know never are without a boyfriend.

That's Whit, for sure.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Isn't that where we've all been for the last year? I wear a size 2, and I've been unpacking boxes and trying stuff on in my bedroom, and repacking stuff and returning it, and it's a pain. However, I now have 4 new bottoms, 5 new tops, 2 new pairs of boots and a new pair of slippers.

And this is why the Stich Fix founder is becoming a billionaire. https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurendebter/2021/01/25/stitch-fix-founder-katrina-lake-new-billionaire/?sh=34aaefb9608f

10 hours ago, Ketzel said:

. What she was told is that she  is not currently a candidate for bariatric surgery because she would need to address her eating disorders before anything else. But I don't think she heard it, or believed it if she did.

OMG, for us 600 lb followers, this means Lola (my favorite), or Dr. Paradise.  I'd love to see Whit with one of them.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, auntjess said:

The idea is good but they just did not listen to what I wanted. They knew I was pushing 70 at the time and they sent clothes my 46 yo daughter wouldn't even wear. Plus I constantly asked for natural fiber clothing and got nothing but artificial fabric. I really wished it could have worked as I hate clothes shopping but it just didn't work for  me! Definitely for much younger people...

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

The idea is good but they just did not listen to what I wanted. They knew I was pushing 70 at the time and they sent clothes my 46 yo daughter wouldn't even wear. Plus I constantly asked for natural fiber clothing and got nothing but artificial fabric. I really wished it could have worked as I hate clothes shopping but it just didn't work for  me! Definitely for much younger people...

Gonna take my reply to Small Talk...

14 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Interesting, plus I can only imagine that you pay a premium price for all that personal "shopping".  No wonder the guy that invented that is a billionaire.  Most people can't afford those services on a regular basis, which is why there is such a growing market for buying used clothing online.  These shopping services appeal to young people but then they whine that they don't have enough money - well that's because they're paying premium prices for the luxury of having someone pick out their clothes for them and other online services that to older women feel like a rip off and don't give you what you want anyway.  Whitney can afford that stuff because she has a TV show but what about the rest of the world?

I just read an article that 40% of clothing bought online is returned, which is another reason why there are huge shipping delays right now.  So this is yet another thing about online clothes shopping that is really not so great after all.  BTW, Whitney is not only a super plus size, but she is actually a petite in terms of stature, which makes shopping for her probably the biggest nightmare of all.  I am pushing plus size myself at 5'2" but still fit into regular women's petite sizes.  I have been heavier and know how horrible that is.  Even Lane Bryant clothing was too big on me in terms of proportions, arms and legs - and too expensive anyway.  They introduced some petite sizes online but nothing I liked or was willing to take a chance on.  Once you pass menopause and start gaining weight in your midsection even those measurement services will fail you because the clothing is just not proportioned for someone with your measurements.  Clothing is sized on younger women who mostly have a more defined waist.

• Useful 1
On 1/29/2021 at 7:14 AM, winsomeone said:

If Whitney lost 50 pounds like some doctors want before surgery, she would weigh less than 275. Surely at that weight, they wouldn't do such drastic surgery on a person?

I believe the guideline for WLS is being at least 100 lbs overweight, which, at 5'2" and 275 lbs., Whitney would still be, so yes, she would still be a candidate for surgery. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

I believe the guideline for WLS is being at least 100 lbs overweight, which, at 5'2" and 275 lbs., Whitney would still be, so yes, she would still be a candidate for surgery. 

Yep - to put it in perspective, Whitney would still be morbidly obese at 220 lbs. She would have to be 160 lbs to be considered overweight but not obese. So she’s twice the weight she would need to be just to be not obese, but still overweight.

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 2