Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: Winnipesaukee

raven
  • Start Topic

Amos, Clarissa, and a gang of thieves work together to leave Earth. Avasarala tries to head off a brutal military strike. Drummer's new family bonds are tested as Naomi's life hangs in the balance.

Airdate 2021.01.27

Please keep your discussion to this episode only.  No book talk, thank you!

Sigh... of course the new secretary would end up going with Delgado's "blow them all up!" plan over Chrisjen's "Hey, not all Belters are dicks, so maybe don't be dropping bombs left and right, guys?", and likely caused more friction between all of the factions.  But it leading to not only Chrisjen resigning, but other members as well, which then led to a vote of no confidence for him, was a pretty fitting and awesome resolution.  Especially since Chrisjen will apparently be back in the driver's seat!  She'll certainly have a lot of mess to clan up, but I have faith.  On the other had, they've finally confirmed that Arjun did die, and she understandably is taking it hard.  Shohreh Aghdashloo delivered as always on all fronts.

Glad Amos, Clarissa and company finally got off Earth now, even though it was naturally easier said than done.  I hope that one member of Erich's crew survives, after the help she gave Amos at the end.  As for Erich himself, he's still a bit of a dick, but I did love his reaction to the body-count Clarissa amounted was basically going "Okay, I'm going to be way nicer to her going forward!"  Smart man.  I'm guessing/hoping they'll be going to the Luna Station, which will hopefully man more Chrisjen/Amos scenes.  I can't wait to see her reaction: especially when she finds out he brought a Baltimore crime-lord and a super-powered mass murderer with him!

Drummer now finds out that Naomi might be alive after-all, and their next task is to kill those she loves.  Yeah, Drummer can only play nice for so long, and I wouldn't want to be on the other side when she finally has enough it.  Talking about you, Karal!

Looks like Alex and Bobbie are still going to be the first to get to Naomi, so hopefully they realize it's a trap soon.

Kind of strange that we've gotten so little of Holden these past few episodes, even though we're kind of getting to the endgame now.  Despite technically being the lead character, he really hasn't factor in much this season.

I know Delgado is itching to be the one to put down Marco, but if I had my way, either Naomi or Drummer deserve that honor.  Or maybe both of them can do it at the same time!

Next week should be interesting!

• Love 9
5 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I know Delgado is itching to be the one to put down Marco, but if I had my way, either Naomi or Drummer deserve that honor.  Or maybe both of them can do it at the same time!

Delgado seems like a cool dude, but no way is he smart enough to put down Marco. His every action since the rocks fell has proven that.

Filip having a temper tantrum when he found out Naomi is alive was fucking hysterical. What a little fuckhead.

After all the time Naomi spent trying to teach that little fuckhead what it means to be her family, now all I want is for her to teach him what it means to be her enemy.

• Love 11

The storyline with Paster felt like just a way for the UN to attack Pallas and not have Avasarala be the one to order it; kind of a waste to me.  I do like Avasarala bringing Delgado onto her team, that feels real to her character.    All I can think is the people on Earth care more about food, water, surviving at this point.  I loved when Avasarala said they don't want to use Marco as a role model.

The Marco/Filip scene made me roll my eyes a bit - I'm thinking, these two AGAIN???  

Drummer's story also feels like it is wheel spinning a bit. 

I really enjoyed last week and watching Naomi work but I am ready for someone to reach her already.

I have a theory that was more of the Bobbie/Alex interactions that were probably cut because of Anvar and replaced with more scenes that seem like filler to me.   I was a little disappointed by this episode.

I did enjoy the Amos/Erich/Clarissa stuff.  I would watch a show with the three of them as rogues in space.  Still, a lot of extra people died because Clarissa wanted to let the asshole rent a cops go, yet they did save all of the hired help because of her.  Wes Chatham again is doing good work, I feel like you can see the wheels spinning in his head as he tries do decide what would be the morally correct thing to do.

The actor playing Erich is also doing a good job - IRL he was born without the hand, which is why he is realistic using only one.   I laughed at "Why do you call him Timmy?"  "Because that's his name".  He is just pulling off the no-nonsense tough guy well.

I guess they are using all the effects budget for space; I wish we had seen more devastation on Earth.  Amos taking a last look down the well would have been a good time. 

• Love 10

What happened to the FX budget?  This show feels so cheap now. Here are a couple clues of cost saving measures: 

• Instead of paying to choreograph a fight scene for Clarissa/Peaches, why not just cut back to where she is standing over a group of people who are lying down .. then she can just swoon as if she's beaten the crap out of them..
  • Hey, why not have the gun fight at night? We can pretend there's a small army attacking .. and we don't even have to pay for blood effects.. people can just say 'ouch' and fall over.. 
  • How many scenes can we have in the same places, like little shit Filip's room? 
  • More hallway and corridor scenes..!!  Looking out of windows is expensive .. let's have shots of looking into spaceships..
  • How many episodes can we have Alex and Bobbi sitting in a cockpit and talking? Wow.. that many..?!

On second thought, maybe it is a COVID restriction thing.  If sets of actors have been tested, they can just film the same groups in the same locations without having to deal with exposure issues.  All the scenes with Holden, Alex, Drummer, etc. could have been filmed in one long setting and then spread out over several episodes. 

I don't think there is going to be much of a satisfying conclusion to the season in the next episode.  At the current pacing, I doubt Marco will be dealt with .. maybe just some resolution to the Naomi situation. 
Of course, if Naomi is willing to sacrifice her life to save anyone approaching her ship, the solution for that is pretty simple .. just pull some wires.

Lastly .. I just don't buy the whole "let's get off this shithole planet called Earth" idea that they are trying to sell. 
I find it hard to believe Amos has no appreciation for blue skies, fresh ocean air, trees, birds, clouds, rain, snow -- and on and on and on. 
In space and on Mars, people have to live in tin cans with recycled air. There is no flora. There is no fauna. Resources are limited. If you don't have financial means or some needed skill, no one is going to want you there. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 6
16 minutes ago, shrewd.buddha said:

How many scenes can we have in the same places, like little shit Filip's room? 

Ugh, we have spent, wayyyyy too much time with these two.  I wanted to shout we GET IT!!  Marco is a narcissistic thug and Filip is essentially under his sway.  I don't care if Filip pulls himself away from his dad or not. 

I love Drummer as much as the next person but the drama and debate on her ship has been DONE.   I have no doubt Drummer is going to go rogue, the question is at what point.  I admit it is interesting to watch her try to tamp down her initial violent instincts.  Cara Gee is so good in this role.

You make a good point about COVID, maybe that is why so much repetition?  I like character development and have been enjoying this season but it does feel like we are getting too many of the same scenes. 

@shrewd.buddha in Amos's case I can see it.  He grew up so abused that he created a new identity when he left.  What we've seen of Baltimore doesn't look pleasant.  Amos may be one of the rare few who hasn't grown up in space yet feels it is his home.   We know Erich and his cronies didn't want to go.  

That's one of the reasons we needed to see more of what happened on Earth; real food shortages, environmental devastation, to convey that there is not much hope.  All we really saw was a vaguely watery Baltimore and Amos and Clarissa on what looked like a winter road trip.   The island servants were saying there was no food and the batteries were running low on power.

Most people with the wealth to live on Winnipesaukee probably go to space regularly.  I can see those with the means taking off when things get bad, fully expecting to return when "someone else" fixes things.  They would not be the ones to fix things.

• Love 5

This felt like a rare filler episode. Not much happened beyond Amos, Peaches & Co leaving the gravity well and a reordering of the chess pieces on Luna ending with the Queen where she rightly belongs.

Watching the continued blue-balling of Drummer's rage is getting painful (pardon my language). Something's gotta give, dammit! 

And while I loathe all scenes with the two shits I can't deny that I'm impressed by Jasai Chase Owen's acting. The little freak-out in his quarters when TBS manipulated him once more was great. (Btw. I'm really starting to admire the wardrobe and make-up department's decision to style TBS like a second rate 80's pop-star, hair, make-up, popped collar - ticking all the boxes.)

Edited by MissLucas
  • LOL 4
  • Love 9

I loved that Chrissie said "my Arjun...", was that a nod to Not! my Arjun, from Season 4? I hope Amos tells Bobby about all the haute cuisine he's been having since they got to the island. It's good to see that he learned the lesson from the Weeping Somnambulist, and saved the trapped Downton Abbey staff; Chrissie will get a new chef!

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

According to this article, filming on this season wrapped in Feb 2020, so they got it in just before the pandemic struck. Which makes the bottle episode like nature of so many of the episodes strike me as more pure cost cutting than anything else. Was this the first episode in the series w/no James Holden scenes ? 

Add me to the list of those sick of the scenes of seeing Naomi suffer. Yes we get it, life sucks for her right now. We don't need to be beat over the the fucking head with it Similarly, yet more scenes of the Inaros "family" serve no purpose either. Its like Ramsay Bolton time all over again. 

• Love 3

Starting the official Hutch fangirl club, taking applicants! When she screamed for Amos so he would come back for her, I was so anxious. But they reached an immediate tacit agreement for him to flip her so she could keep fracking firing with a bullet in her back! Unlike most viewers, I've been pretty meh on the whole cross-country adventure featuring Timmy & Peaches, but this episode was quite fun.

When Naomi fell to the ground and saw the frayed wire she looked so much like Filip. They did such a great job casting her and Marco's son.

• Love 11

This whole episode was meh for me. The descussions were similar to what we've had before. And then there was some fire fighting in the dark, not interesting. I agree it feels like they're saving budget this season. Or maybe they will blow all of it next episode 😄

I guess part of it is my expectations. I thought this season would be about the confrontation with Marco. But now it just seems like it was instead an escalation and next season will be a war with Marco.

• Love 2

Well I'm now in the hutch for roci crew camp.. I hope we can make that happen she was awesome... Also the show is really pushing me and my forever crush on sandrine holt because while she hasnt technically been wrong her decision to lean over to Marcos' side is frustrating 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Msample said:

Was this the first episode in the series w/no James Holden scenes ? 

He was in the very beginning; they show him and Monica listening to Naomi's revised message and talking about what it could mean, along with a scene of Bobbie and Alex listening as well.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, steelyis said:

Filip having a temper tantrum when he found out Naomi is alive was fucking hysterical. What a little fuckhead.

After all the time Naomi spent trying to teach that little fuckhead what it means to be her family, now all I want is for her to teach him what it means to be her enemy.

I am so over Marcos and Filip. The former sure does know how to play the latter like a fiddle. I mean really, who except a psycho, would expect Naomi to continue to remain on that ship or want to remain there after being abused and treated like trash. Marcos framing her departure as if she abandoned the family they were attempting to rebuild together was a ridiculous lie. Unfortunately Filip is too snowed under his father’s spell to see that.

Drummer’s  “he killed the woman I loved”. Aw. My heart breaks for her.  I knew she was in love with Naomi. When I first saw them interact in S2(?) the sexual chemistry between them was palatable, even knowing that Naomi was straight. Like others I feel like Drummer’s scenes have started to get almost as repetitive as Marcos/Filip’s rage over Naomi’s ongoing “betrayal.”  I was ready to see her take action this episode, but once again nothing happened. Hopefully she’ll come up with a clever strategy to remove herself and her crew from Marcos’ clutches while at the very least severely undermining his plans, if not killing him.

Glad Amos and team made it off planet. I’m surprised Erich made it. I will say Peaches’ flip to Mother Teresa was annoying.  I understand her wanting to turn over a new leaf and having a new perspective on life, but life on Earth no longer supports the civility that it once had. Sadly, its turned into a kill or be killed situation. Thankfully their exit off planet didn’t turn more disastrous than it did due in part to her epiphany. 

Though entertaining, this episode felt like nothing much happened, which really has kind of been this whole season. Everyone is in place now though for some serious movement next episode. Though I’m betting this season will still end with a cliffhanger. 

Btw, does anyone know what Naomi was trying to do at the end of the episode? Get control of the comms and/or ship?

• Love 5

An interesting note for the episode Winnipesaukee translates roughly to Dirty or Muddy Land in most Algonquin languages. (Very rough there might be another word in there depending on the particular dialect) Although that is definitely what Winnip means in Cree and Ojibway. Which is interesting considering the episode and the fact that it was supposed to be a play ground for rich people. I wonder if the developer lied and said it means beautiful place or place of trees or something.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

I really loved this epsiode. The escape from the Island was very tense. Surprised that all the rich people didn't bother to have indoor greenhouses or something. 

It is so true that sometimes you have to walk away from a problem to see the obvious.

Glad that Avasalara is back to being the Queen Of Earth. Her taking half the cabenit with her shows what a masterfull politician she is. Hope she teams up with Drummer somehow. So did her late husband take her last name? Cool.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 5
30 minutes ago, Emily Thrace said:

An interesting note for the episode Winnipesaukee translates roughly to Dirty or Muddy Land in most Algonquin languages. (Very rough there might be another word in there depending on the particular dialect) Although that is definitely what Winnip means in Cree and Ojibway. Which is interesting considering the episode and the fact that it was supposed to be a play ground for rich people. I wonder if the developer lied and said it means beautiful place or place of trees or something.

Winnipesaukee is a real place--and it is currently a playground for rich people. Not an expert on the name, but per Wiki, it's from Abenaki and means "either "smile of the Great Spirit" or "beautiful water in a high place"." I live not too far from it.

Edited by mAlice
  • Useful 1

Is Hutch still alive?  She looked kind of dead when they took off.

Can anyone tell me what Naomi is doing?  I have no idea what she’s trying to do in the airless compartment.

I hope Stephen and Cas and Frankie weren’t paid by the word this season.

• LOL 3
15 hours ago, steelyis said:

Delgado seems like a cool dude, but no way is he smart enough to put down Marco. His every action since the rocks fell has proven that.

It ain't gonna be Delgado. My money is on Drummer. After she 'parts' Karal's hair. Or (2nd option) Naomi does it, sacrificing TLS in the process. Angsty!

12 hours ago, raven said:

I have a theory that was more of the Bobbie/Alex interactions that were probably cut because of Anvar and replaced with more scenes that seem like filler to me.

We should just hang him now, and have the actual trial later, at a more convenient time.

12 hours ago, shrewd.buddha said:

Of course, if Naomi is willing to sacrifice her life to save anyone approaching her ship, the solution for that is pretty simple .. just pull some wires.

When she spotted the break in the insulation of that cable, I was sure it would lead to something ingenious! But no. At lease, not yet.

12 hours ago, raven said:

The island servants were saying there was no food and the batteries were running low on power.

They still looked relatively well fed, though. But I guess it's not actually been that long since the asteroid strikes, so gaunt malnutrition sufferers probably aren't a thing yet.

Okay, only one episode remaining, and a lot to do. I hope they don't just leave it all hanging as bait for Season 6!

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Can anyone tell me what Naomi is doing?  I have no idea what she’s trying to do in the airless compartment.

I could be wrong but wasn't she scraping ice off a valve and bringing it in to warm up and drink?

• Love 1

There was a lot that I liked about this episode, but I feel like a lot of these sublots are becoming repetitive. Alex and Bobby are on their ship, Naomi is having a terrible day, Drummer is pissed off and her crew wont let her smack Marco, Marco himself is smug and Filip listens to his bullshit, its tough because this season has been so subplot heavy with the whole cast split up, but the subplots are hitting the same beats over and over. 

I liked everything with Amos and Clarissa, I appreciate how much Clarissa is committed to trying to be a good person, even when it doesent go well, and I like Erich and his henchwoman Hutch. The interactions between Erich and Clarissa were fun, especially his reaction when she killed the shit out of everyone who attacked the ship. "Remind me to be nicer to her. I was worried that Hitch would die in the escape, I am glad that she seemed to have made it, and made it out like a badass, shooting as many guys as possible even after being shot and dragged away. I am also enjoying Amos trying to work out his own moral choices in these morally confusing situations, you can really see the gears turning in his head as he tries to figure out if something is moral or not and what he should do. 

Its almost impressive how Marco is even able to frame Naomi having to flee into the vacuum of space to escape her imprisonment as "Your awful mom abandoned us again" and that Filip totally buys into it. Like, how dare she not want to stay with the mass murdering terrorist's who are holding her prisoner and just tried to kill her boyfriend and friends? 

There is only so much Drummer can be forced to play nice, she is practically burning with barley controlled rage in every scene. Its amazing her teeth are all still there, she has been grinding them in surprised fury for so long. 

Delgado might be itching to be the one to blow Marco to hell, but he is going to have to wait in line, there are a LOT of people who are begging for the chance to end his shitty self. Personally, I am hoping for Drummer to space him the way she now wishes she would have ages ago. Its too bad that the new defense secretary screwed up, I guess he just really wasnt ready, but of course it leads to Chrisjen taking over again, which seems like its been inevitable since the season started, which is what we all really wanted. Now Earth is finally in the game again. Poor Chrisjen, taking on all of this while also losing Arjun is going to be rough. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5

I thought Naomi was trying to deactivate the bomb, somehow.  Then she saw a ship approaching, even though she changed the message and she took the tool she was using to make markings on the wall  and left the area.  I'm not absolutely sure, but the noise we heard at the end sounded like someone was taking steps outside, on the surface of the ship.  So, I'm going to guess that Naomi is out there with the suction boots on writing a message on the ship, scratching big block letters to warn the incoming vessel of the danger.  Once Bobbi and Alex get there, they will figure out a way to communicate with Naomi and rescue her,

We know she can hear communications but can not broadcast, so, perhaps once a ship is closer, they can ask her questions via regular comms and she can answer by switching some lights, or something.

I still really like this show, but I would have to agree with others that have pointed out there hasn't been a lot of forward movement of the plot this season.

• Useful 5

There was a lot that I liked about this episode, but I feel like a lot of these sublots are becoming repetitive. Alex and Bobby are on their ship, Naomi is having a terrible day, Drummer is pissed off and her crew wont let her smack Marco, Marco himself is smug and Filip listens to his bullshit, its tough because this season has been so subplot heavy with the whole cast split up, but the subplots are hitting the same beats over and over. 

Yes, exactly. Just cementing my feelings that all these separate subplots should have been condensed down to half the episodes, and then move into new territory for the remainder of the season (and give the main characters actual scenes together!). Honestly, the spinning our wheels wouldn't bug me as much if there were interactions between the leads, instead of them all off on their own subplots with characters I don't care about as much. And some of them barely even have subplots--I feel like we've gone multiple episodes with Holden just showing up for a minute an episode to do some exposition. Like, oh hey, Holden also heard the change in the message. Here's a scene where he barely says anything just so we know he still exists. Oh, and yep, here's another scene of Bobby and Alex still en route in the Razorback! Just in case we forgot where they were. And that's not even mentioning all the scenes with characters I actively despise in Marcos and Filip.

I dunno. I feel bad just complaining, but honestly this season is kind of bumming me out as a whole, even though I still like all the same characters I always liked, and love the universe. I could have gotten past a few episodes of a lull in the middle, but as others have said, this felt like a filler episode where the only movement was Amos and Clarissa, and it's the penultimate episode! I know we can't get into book specifics here, but if the source material for this season had a similar feel, they should have rethought taking a whole season to cover it.

ETA: I will say that Amos's subplot is the one I like well enough on its own merits (even though I'm not crazy about Clarissa--like Erich though). Plenty of good Amos material, lots of action. But even that I would have sacrificed some of in order to condense everything else and get the crew back together sooner.

Edited by redpencil
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, UnknownK said:

I could be wrong but wasn't she scraping ice off a valve and bringing it in to warm up and drink?

Is that all?  I thought she was trying to do some clever rewiring of the ship to dismantle the explosives or get a real message out.  That's disappointing.

It will be even more disappointing if Drummer doesn't wrap things up with Marco next week.

8 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Its almost impressive how Marco is even able to frame Naomi having to flee into the vacuum of space to escape her imprisonment as "Your awful mom abandoned us again" and that Filip totally buys into it. Like, how dare she not want to stay with the mass murdering terrorist's who are holding her prisoner and just tried to kill her boyfriend and friends? 

I don't care if he's just a dopey teenager, TLS is irredeemable at this point.

8 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

she admitted she has no idea why Amos calls her Peaches (why question why Amos does stuff?)

Shoot, I even know that one.  It's because Clarissa was using the name Melba when we first met her. 

The Amos/Clarissa storyline has been the saving grace of this season, the most interesting since no one else has moved forward.  (Although Avasarala is poised to do some damage next week.  Time to put on the chunky jewelry.)  I do think the writers can get the Marco thing resolved and finally get the gang back together again by the end.  (Maybe not Amos.)  I can't imagine we won't get a scene of Holden and Naomi reuniting.

• Love 6

It's the damn proximity sensors that's messing with me. The distances in the Expanse of space travel means "proximity" might be before you can even see the Chetzie; (never mind read anything written on the outside. Looking at you, Starbuck!). In Gravity, a nearby space station was just a flicker in the distance. When do these sensors detect and detonate? Even if she's tethered outside the Chetzie, they wouldn't see her, she's a dot against a black space.

Did they establish in the show that Erich's back story is that of a master forger, like the Amos Burton ID? That skill sure came in handy making Amos the "owner" of the shuttle. Don't the rich folks on the island have to file flight plans when they leave to go to THE MOON? Erich and his crew would fit in well on Ceres, or on a Belter pirate ship, swigging Tequila through the cosmos.

24 billion people have a parliamentarian gov't that can fall and reboot in a week? They need a stable USA type gov't with elections everyone can accept, lol.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

It's quite amusing that Amos who grew up on the streets and in brothels can come up with Peaches while former socialite Clarissa remains clueless why he picked the nickname.

Edited by MissLucas

I usually "save up" episodes and watch 2 at a time - 8 and 9 were the wrong two episodes to stack up, it really feels like extended filler when viewed back-to-back. Sure, Amos gets some good character moments, but there are a lot of "why are we still here?" moments. Hard to believe there is only 1 episode left, an hour is not long enough to wrap this season up. Especially since we are likely to be waiting nearly 2 years for the next, final, season.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, WildPlum said:

I usually "save up" episodes and watch 2 at a time - 8 and 9 were the wrong two episodes to stack up, it really feels like extended filler when viewed back-to-back.

Agreed.  I posted earlier that this could be a landmark season, but it is clearly sputtering to the finish line.

• Love 1
On 1/27/2021 at 8:17 AM, shrewd.buddha said:

Lastly .. I just don't buy the whole "let's get off this shithole planet called Earth" idea that they are trying to sell. 
I find it hard to believe Amos has no appreciation for blue skies, fresh ocean air, trees, birds, clouds, rain, snow -- and on and on and on. 
In space and on Mars, people have to live in tin cans with recycled air. There is no flora. There is no fauna. Resources are limited. If you don't have financial means or some needed skill, no one is going to want you there. 

I have no quarrel with how devastating, and potentially civilization-ending, asteroid impacts can be. But even accepting the severe level of desperation many may now face, can fleeing to the moon really be the improvement posited here? While food distribution and cultivation may be interrupted on Earth, is humanity's ability to grow food on the moon better? Is it really easier to rocket to the moon instead of traveling a few  miles off their Island? And why couldn't they, or the indigenous "help," use that same rocket to travel to another, less devastated region of Earth? I've been to New Zealand, it's quite nice and very far from just about everywhere else. That might be my choice. I get that there may be no "help" that close  to their Island, but is the nearest "help" really on Luna?

I've learned not to question the science of this show. When I first viewed Naomi's spacesuit-less space walk, I was dubious about how accurate that was. But with minimal research, I quickly learned that it was indeed remarkably accurate - even if partially reliant on the self-administered mystery booster shot. Here, similarly, they seem to get the level of asteroid devastation right, but it still seems odd that Luna would be a preferable place with respect to the accurately-depicted, asteroid-impacted Earth. Any port in a storm I suppose? 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, MissLucas said:

It's quite amusing that Amos who grew up on the streets and in brothels can come up with Peaches while former socialite Clarissa remains clueless why he picked the nickname.

I'm not a socialite but I also have no idea why Amos calls Clarissa "Peaches."  Is there a "street' meaning to that nickname?

13 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

I'm not a socialite but I also have no idea why Amos calls Clarissa "Peaches."  Is there a "street' meaning to that nickname?

Peach Melba, a dessert Amos learned about serving on the Good Ship Tira Misu. (The ice cream must be freshly Churned).

Clarissa.jpg

Edited by Eulipian 5k
Bad pun
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ahpny said:

I have no quarrel with how devastating, and potentially civilization-ending, asteroid impacts can be. But even accepting the severe level of desperation many may now face, can fleeing to the moon really be the improvement posited here? While food distribution and cultivation may be interrupted on Earth, is humanity's ability to grow food on the moon better? Is it really easier to rocket to the moon instead of traveling a few  miles off their Island? And why couldn't they, or the indigenous "help," use that same rocket to travel to another, less devastated region of Earth? I've been to New Zealand, it's quite nice and very far from just about everywhere else. That might be my choice. I get that there may be no "help" that close  to their Island, but is the nearest "help" really on Luna?

Chrisjen's on the Moon and Chrisjen probably has resources to tell Amos where Naomi and Holden are.

At this point Chrisjen can probably secure full pardons for Amos, Clarissa and the others - if they'll do her the teensiest favor of killing the fuck out of Marco and friends.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

And a bit of historical trivia: Peach Melba was created in of honor famous Australian opera singer Nellie Melba.  The grand daddy of French cuisine, Auguste Escoffier, came up with the dessert while working in the London Savoy in the early 1890s.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 1/27/2021 at 7:17 AM, shrewd.buddha said:

I just don't buy the whole "let's get off this shithole planet called Earth" idea that they are trying to sell. 

Amos had a pretty rough life as a child on Earth.  It was in space that he found a "family" and a purpose.  So I can buy that he's eager to escape the chaos and civil breakdown now happening on asteroid-battered Earth and to return to a milieu that he understands and in which he previously thrived.

Random thoughts from the episode:

1. I doubt they spent the money to build a working glass-enclosed elevator so that must be a real location we saw at the beginning of the episode. I wonder where that was shot?  It certainly passed for future-earth (or rather, future-moon.)
  2. I was confused when Drummer's fuck-buddy asked "Do you love us as much as you love Naomi?"  I thought (for a second) that she was using the royal "we" or she had some kind of weird notion of herself as a group entity, but I finally figured out that she was speaking of Drummer's former crew -- all of whom are at risk if Drummer goes rogue.  So now I'm hoping that in the last episode we find out if Drummer's crew still love HER.  I WANT her to go rogue and I want them to rally to her side.  Finger's crossed.
  3. When TBS Marco said (of Naomi) "She left us" I said, out loud, all alone in my socially distant living room "OH FUCK YOU!!!"  Seriously, can someone please kill Marco?  I nominate Drummer.  And TLS Filip should be collateral damage because, fuck that guy too.  (I feel like I'm channeling Laura Moon from "American Gods.")
  4. I agree with all the posters who have noted that the season-long separation of the former Roci crew has not been a blessing to this season.  I miss the "family" working together.  I wonder if we'll ever get (most of) them back in the same room?
  5. And now I'm craving Peach Melba.
Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, mAlice said:

Winnipesaukee

What I thought the episode was missing was Bob tied to the mast of a boat yelling, "I'm sailing! I'm sailing!"

Now that I've got my joke out of the way, I want to say this. Drummer's screw crew are assholes. Self involved, manipulative, jealous and mean. I don't care that they are all fucking; I don't care that they have affection for her and vis a versa. None of them have acted kindly towards her since things got rough. Insisting that she tolerate Marco? that she be involved in attacking the Roci? Her "how much shit do I have to eat?" was a hell of a question, and if it were up to me, I'd have her set the auto pilot to a collision course with Marco and take them all out (after she takes a jet pack or something to hook up with Naomi or Holden or whoever). 

Everything else was fine. The Amos stuff was all right. Chrisjen's stuff was about what you'd expect -- she had to end up back in charge, otherwise she's no fun (and I still don't think she can act at all) and Marco and Fillip are being Marco and Fillip. I like how bad they are making Naomi look through this turmoil, though I do wonder if she's so worried about her ship being used to hurt one of her friends, why she hasn't just tripped the bombs and blowed it all up. I know she doesn't WANT to die, but if her motive is to save everyone else why not just take the danger out of the equation?

But mostly Drummer's fuckbuddies suck. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6

Second to last episode of the season and I'm wondering how they're going to wrap any of this up.  Then I remembered how lazy the last episode of S2 of The Boys, was, so now I hope they don't wrap very much up at all.  Filip's ignominious death in a space-toilet related accident will be sufficient.

I noticed in this episode that the aspect ratio kept changing, so Earth / Luna was in wider screen than the belt.  Have they been doing that all season, and if so, why?  Artistic reasons or budget?

On 1/27/2021 at 3:34 AM, steelyis said:

That scene surprised me, since I had assumed that Filip knew Naomi made it to the other ship and had been covering for her.  I was also surprised by Marco's popped collar and belted jumpsuit combo.  He looked like a really bad Elvis impersonator and it was very distracting.

On 1/27/2021 at 7:17 AM, shrewd.buddha said:

Me neither, for different reasons.  Only 3 rocks hit the planet., and from the scenes where Marco and crew were covering them with stealth tech, they didn't look that big.  The K-T asteroid was 10-15 km wide;  the one's Marco used only seems a couple of hundred meters, so I figured the damage would be more localized (except for tsunamis).

I just think their goal should have been more realistic, like getting to Chicago or Denver.  No matter how well developed Luna is, it' won't have the capacity to take many refugees.  

On 1/28/2021 at 5:49 AM, Haleth said:

I don't care if he's just a dopey teenager, TLS is irredeemable at this point.

I previously thought he was getting a redemption arc because he let Naomi go and lied to Marco about it.  Apparently he was just too dumb to realize she escaped, so that's not going to happen.  Now I'm just hoping that he gets food poisoning and dies a pointless death.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I noticed in this episode that the aspect ratio kept changing, so Earth / Luna was in wider screen than the belt.  Have they been doing that all season, and if so, why?  Artistic reasons or budget?

They did this in S4 as well, with everything on the planet being wider screen. It was an artistic decision.

I just think their goal should have been more realistic, like getting to Chicago or Denver.  No matter how well developed Luna is, it' won't have the capacity to take many refugees.  

It doesn't bother me that much mainly because it's being driven in large part by Amos's desire to get back to his ship. So many are just following his lead, and figure it will probably be easier to then get from Luna back to wherever they actually want to go.

• Love 1

Wow, so many good observations and comments.  This thread is almost as good as the episode. 

1.  Regarding the scene where TBS tells TLS that Bad Mom has abandoned them yet again, this may have been the low point of the entire series.  It was an [expletive deleted] eye-roller for sure.

2.  I thought this season would be centered more on the actual asteroid attacks with more military back-and-forth, but alas, noper. 

3.  With these 10-episode series that essentially drop once a year, I like to parse (savor?) the episodes up to the penultimate one.  Then before the season finale I will then go back and binge-watch the whole season in anticipation of the finale.  Anyone else do similarly?

• Love 3
On 1/29/2021 at 9:48 AM, WatchrTina said:

I just don't buy the whole "let's get off this shithole planet called Earth" idea that they are trying to sell. 

Amos doesn't want to get off the shithole planet Earth. He wants to get back to the place he belongs, which is with the Roci. This whole season has been about people trying to go home again, realising that home doesn't exist or that they've changed too much, and trying to get back to where they really belong now. The fact that Amos literally says that you can never go home again nor really leave because it doesn't exist anymore but you always take it with you is the point. In fact, whenever the show switches to Amos the writers seem to really nail their theme better than with Naomi.

I mean, I get it, they can't be back where they belong till the end of the season thematically speaking. But having Naomi literally stuck in self-imposed isolation helplessly watching her past threaten to destroy her present is a bit on the nose for me two episodes running. I think the biggest problem might be that Holden doesn't need to go home again because that's always been his arc and so he's just waiting for everyone he loves to catch up with him. 

Anyway I enjoyed most of this episode but am very ready for everyone to reconnect and the fact I said that about last week's episode is an issue. Still, the Expanse is the best thing on TV. By far. But it might be better if next season is its last.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Fun Fact: Drummer filmed this when she was up to 8 months pregnant. See if you can spot how many times she was standing behind a potted plant or bowl of fruit to keep you from noticing.

If this was true when they showed her getting dressed, she didn't need to hide behind anything . . . 

• Love 1
On 1/28/2021 at 8:15 AM, Eulipian 5k said:

It's the damn proximity sensors that's messing with me. The distances in the Expanse of space travel means "proximity" might be before you can even see the Chetzie; (never mind read anything written on the outside. Looking at you, Starbuck!). In Gravity, a nearby space station was just a flicker in the distance. When do these sensors detect and detonate? Even if she's tethered outside the Chetzie, they wouldn't see her, she's a dot against a black space.

My assumption is that when you set up proximity sensor to explode a bomb , you can set how close you want the proximity to be. As was pointed out in an earlier forum, a wide distance wouldn't have much of an impact (no pun intended) on the Roci. So you'd want to set it up nice and tight. By ending that message, it stands to reason (at least for me) that they want the Roci up close enough to try to board the ship and rescue Naomi. Close enough to be directly impacted by the explosion.

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

they want the Roci up close enough to try to board the ship and rescue Naomi. Close enough to be directly impacted by the explosion.

From Naomi’s helmet display it seems the Arming range was well outside the range where you could read any thing written on the ship or where she could jump to. Aargh! It just seems hopeless, I’m trapped in the suspense.

• Love 1