Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: Goodbyes Sure Do Suck

• Start Topic

Can't say I'm surprised... He got the Dolls' treatment that shamier anderson got on wynonna.. Or what Mechad got on Supergirl... Ugh.. I'm too angry to post much more... Wouldn't be surprised if I read a story or tweet about how Peyton was excited about other opportunities and " wanted to leave " 

Oh and the show is bringing in a new witch.. A black girl who'll immediately become friends with hope... So we lose the male bonnie and we get her replacement right away... 

1 hour ago, UnoAgain said:

Can't say I'm surprised... He got the Dolls' treatment that shamier anderson got on wynonna.. Or what Mechad got on Supergirl... Ugh.. I'm too angry to post much more... Wouldn't be surprised if I read a story or tweet about how Peyton was excited about other opportunities and " wanted to leave " 

Oh and the show is bringing in a new witch.. A black girl who'll immediately become friends with hope... So we lose the male bonnie and we get her replacement right away... 

We both knew it was coming and we both know why.

• Love 2

What the hell. After everyone hoping he would get better storylines this season only to have him leave. I am so sad right now. Screw you, writers. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2

Another reason I think he's gone is the fact that.. The actor for Jedi was promoted to series regular.. They also promoted the sheriff's son who seemed like he had a thing for Hope.. Because apparently.. They figure they can make him pursuing work.. As compared to RAF having feelings for her( as u know in the TVD universe.. Two ppl who are close.. Like brothers or best friends cant like the same person at the same time)  and they are also bringing in a new witch.. A black girl.. So maybe its a Walking dead situation... One in and one out... 

A little bit better of an episode than last week but not by much. Mainly liking Landon not having his Phoenix powers.

Of course the episode had many problems starting with the whole Raf is dying but ultimately gets saved. Sort of because the actor and the character is still gone. Only bright side is that I believe this episode was filmed pre pandemic so hopefully that means he didn't have to go back just to be written out immediately. The whole episode being so focused on his dying made it obvious that there was going to be some sort of twist that instead of feeling sad I was just waiting for the twist. If you are going to write out the character let him die and make it a good death. Ultimately they decided to cheat death again making the threat of it less impactful. 

Which is a good way to bring up the use of the sphinx. The Necromancer is falling for the the same thing Alaric did by putting too much meaning into what was said instead of asking further information. Yes his plan to raise Mal and the other demons may succeed but for how long? And let's be real if a student is going to die either it will end up being Alyssa in a twist or it will just be Hope triggering her vampire side.

Wow the whole Arthur thing from last week was just for the first scene of the episode. Also was this like the first time Lizzie spoke to Raf since the whole birthday incident in season one?

Man I wish this was the end of Hope and Landon but not expecting that. Hell not even expecting it to last one full episode. 

So either Bonnie knows what is going on with the prison world and is giving the school some blood every so often or when Lizzie said her dad has hiding spots it was just code for having Bonnie tied up somewhere having blood drawn when they need it. Honestly 50-50 on which option is more likely with these writers. 

Regarding the one in,  one out theory, it's hard to argue with considering you can also draw that conclusion with Penelope in a couple of ways. First there is Penelope out, Alyssa in. Then there can be Penelope out, Ethan's sister in but then she was out (but some how the brother becomes a regular, yeah that's not saying something), Jade in. However Jade looks out without any one in at the moment. 

Regarding Alyssa I really wish I could enjoy the character even in the way with Klaus, Rebekah and Katherine in TVD but can't. Just never seen anything likeable or redeemable about her.

• Love 2
(edited)

Ha, I knew that Alyssa would not be a meek, compliant, obedient little acolyte so I loved when she made the Necromancer give her a mission statement. Now we just have to wait and see which one of them will try to double cross the other one first.

I really want to hear how Hope figured out that using the tuning fork to put Raf's consciousness into another body specifically required PHOENIX energy. Since Landon is the only one of his kind, where did she come up with this extremely convenient excuse to put Raf into Landon?

There were a lot of things that made me mad about this episode, the first of which was the whole RAF HAS TO DIE storyline. JFC, writers, it's like you hate your audience and go out of your way to do the exact opposite. I am sick of Raf being used like this by the writers. I had a glimmer of hope last week because they finally gave him something interesting and cool that didn't involve shoving him off to the side or dying or sacrificing himself and then BAM, hey, Raf is going to die!

I hated that Raf was put in a position where he had to pep everyone up at the party and then comfort Landon. This is sometimes seen with terminal patients who are faced with sad relatives and it puts an undue burden on the person WHO IS ACTUALLY GOING TO DIE. Raf made it clear what he wanted before he died and everyone did the absolute bare minimum to accommodate him. They showed up to the party as requested and then sat around like sad sacks until he suggested they share memories of him doing stupid and embarrassing things. And then his BFF, his brother Landon sat off to the side moping and said he couldn't do it. I know Landon has been through a lot but he couldn't at least TRY to give Raf what he wanted?

I know I'm supposed to cheer that Hope came up with the brilliant idea to dump Raf into a prison world to save him but I was too mad about the fact that it took HOURS between the time that she came up with this idea, went to Lizzie, ransacked Alaric's stuff for Bennett blood, and did the actual spell before the sun came up but at no point did she actually go talk to Raf, explain her plan, and ask if this was something he wanted. It's called consent, which I know the Plecverse doesn't seem to understand 99% of the time, but you'd think they would have made some progress in this area since TVD (I mean, obviously not since Alaric is fine with compelling the sheriff to do his bidding and then mindwiping her).

On the plus side, the score for this episode was so lush and beautiful, and I'm glad that Raf got to see how much everyone loves him, including his parents. Jed tracking down Raf's father and Alaric tracking down Raf's mother did make me a bit teary, because we got to see how much they love Raf.

I wish the show would realize that I enjoy relationships like Landon and Raf's friendships way more than I like the romantic ones like Landon and Hope's.

I get that Landon wants to be special but he was so bent out of shape about not being a phoenix anymore, not because he is now mortal and the Necromancer is after him but because he thinks he is now weak and ordinary and his girlfriend won't like him anymore. I know he's a teenager but still. Your best friend just got locked into a prison world because of mystical magical reasons, so try to have a little perspective. There are far worse things than being a regular teenager.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 8

The first 2-3 episodes of this season were already filmed last year before they stopped due to the pandemic. They just hadn't edited them and they thought 2-16 was a good season ender which is also why the whole non-consensual kiss line in 2-16 is worse when you realize that first episode would have followed the next week if they hadn't made that decision. 

Edited by Kmr

What an idiot I was, thinking that after last week that Raf was going to have an actual plot line now that didn't involve him being tortured and miserable or just supporting other characters, thinking that he might get to be valued as a character. Of course as soon as he gets what seems like an actual cool plot, he gets dropped off the show and sent to the magic realm so he doesn't disintegrate. Of fucking course. 

So what the hell was even the point of last week? Is this a Chekhov's sword situation and he will show up at the last minute in the season finale to save the day? I'm not counting on it, the show has just gotten bored with him I guess, and they just wanted to tease us with him getting a real story. I guess last week was just a big waste of time, throwing away both Raf and the entire mythology of Camelot. And to be exchanged for what? Some new lame characters that will be written in? At least he got a big send off and to be reunited with his parents, so that's something at least. 

Losing Raf is bad enough, but now it means that Landon will lose his best scene partner and will be stuck with Hope even more, despite them being the two characters with the least amount of chemistry. I am pissed.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

And to be exchanged for what? Some new lame characters that will be written in?

Only one new character.. A witch.. Who'll gravitate to Hope or vice versa.. And who's black.. I guess they couldn't do a bonnie/ Elena with RAF so they dumped him for an actual witch... But the sheriff's son had been made a regular.. Because.. Well we know.. Odd thing.. Not his sister.. Hmmm

• Love 2

12 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I hated that Raf was put in a position where he had to pep everyone up at the party and then comfort Landon. This is sometimes seen with terminal patients who are faced with sad relatives and it puts an undue burden on the person WHO IS ACTUALLY GOING TO DIE.

This, so much.

12 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It's called consent, which I know the Plecverse doesn't seem to understand 99% of the time, but you'd think they would have made some progress in this area since TVD (I mean, obviously not since Alaric is fine with compelling the sheriff to do his bidding and then mindwiping her).

When I saw Hope saying she had to go do something after watching that convenient celestial event I knew she was going to shove Raf on a bus. Though I was expecting her to at least inform him when they were ready with the Ascendant. I don't think Raf's parents even had time to put any of their affairs in order. And I'd like someone to give the sheriff some vervain, though I don't know if that can break already placed compulsions.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Terrafamilia said:

I don't think Raf's parents even had time to put any of their affairs in order.

To be fair, based on what they said in this episode, there weren't many affairs to put in order. His dad lived alone in the cabin and his mom was making money by arm wrestling suckers at bars.

5 hours ago, Terrafamilia said:

And I'd like someone to give the sheriff some vervain, though I don't know if that can break already placed compulsions.

Remember the good old days when they put vervain in the town's water supply? You'd think that Matt would make sure that practice was kept up in perpetuity.

• Love 2
On 1/29/2021 at 4:48 AM, Kmr said:

Regarding Alyssa I really wish I could enjoy the character even in the way with Klaus, Rebekah and Katherine in TVD but can't. Just never seen anything likeable or redeemable about her.

I agree! And when the sphinx said one student will die I believe/hoping it will be her.

So are Landon and Hope over.? She just stood there when he said "you don't want me anymore because I'm not special" or something like that. She didn't try arguing with him then she let him just walk away. What's the point of Landon, he's not a PHOENIX anymore so he doesn't belong at the school, his best friend is gone, and he just walked away from his girlfriend so is he going to leave now because it wouldn't bother me if he did.

Kudos to all of those that called the end to Rafael especially after last weeks episode. I have a question about last week though, I think I missed it when they explained how Raf was related to King Arthur, could someone explain? Thanks 🙂 

1 hour ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I agree! And when the sphinx said one student will die I believe/hoping it will be her.

So are Landon and Hope over.? She just stood there when he said "you don't want me anymore because I'm not special" or something like that. She didn't try arguing with him then she let him just walk away. What's the point of Landon, he's not a PHOENIX anymore so he doesn't belong at the school, his best friend is gone, and he just walked away from his girlfriend so is he going to leave now because it wouldn't bother me if he did.

Kudos to all of those that called the end to Rafael especially after last weeks episode. I have a question about last week though, I think I missed it when they explained how Raf was related to King Arthur, could someone explain? Thanks 🙂 

I think Alyssa is technically dead so I dunno if she's the one to die.. I think Hope "Martyr" Mikaelson will "die" thus igniting her vamp side and really making her a tribrid... 

I think he'll need some "space" and he'll focus on other things.. Eventually I believe he'll leave the school and go to the normal Mystic Falls High.. Where the  new series regular goes.. The sheriff's kid.. ( the white son.. No news on the latina daughter yet)  and I think  the son will shoot his shot with Hope... And I bet it works.. ( somehow they couldn't make it work for RAF tho) 

As for him.. I can only hope this is a benching ( much like season 2) and not a straight up sendoff... But after 2 seasons of BS maybe the actor was done with it... As for the King Arthur stuff.. No they didn't really explain.. Unlike some characters... RAF/ Kaleb/ Penelope/ MG/Alyssa...  Their legacies don't warrant much looking into or thought... We dunno what clan RAF came from.. If Pen or Alyssa are from any particular coven... What vampire(s)  turned Kaleb and MG... I can only hope some of these questions get answered sooner rather than later.. And pray that RAF will be back when more of the real season 3 episodes pop up.. As these first few are really 2nd season runoff... 

But based on this universe's track record.. With bonnie.. Marcel.. That poor wolf Keylin(sp?) Freya kidnapped and tortured who ended up with her anyway.. The lack of depth for all the Salvatore High kids... I'm doubtful

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, UnoAgain said:

I think Alyssa is technically dead so I dunno if she's the one to die.. I think Hope "Martyr" Mikaelson will "die" thus igniting her vamp side and really making her a tribrid... 

Thanks UnoAgain that makes since. I would personally like it that that happened to Hope I really want to see her as a vampire to see if the Mikaelson comes out in her.

I hope the actor that played Rafael moves on to better things where he has a bigger part. Thanks for the King Arthur info, I wasn't sure if I missed some conversation about it or if it was laid out in the previous season.

18 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I think I missed it when they explained how Raf was related to King Arthur, could someone explain?

In the previous episode, Nimue said she was the protector of Excalibur which is a sword from the King Arthur/Camelot mythology. The legend says that only a true king could pull the sword from the stone. Nimue said that only a true champion could pull the sword out and wield it. Her definition of "champion" was "the blood of kings must run through your veins." After Raf pulled the sword out of the rock and vanquished the Green Knight, he tried to give the sword to Nimue but she said, "It is rightfully yours as you are a descendant of Arthur."

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

In the previous episode, Nimue said she was the protector of Excalibur which is a sword from the King Arthur/Camelot mythology. The legend says that only a true king could pull the sword from the stone. Nimue said that only a true champion could pull the sword out and wield it. Her definition of "champion" was "the blood of kings must run through your veins." After Raf pulled the sword out of the rock and vanquished the Green Knight, he tried to give the sword to Nimue but she said, "It is rightfully yours as you are a descendant of Arthur."

Thanks ElectricBoogaloo 🙂 I heard that but that last I saw of Raf was he was trying to convince Landon to get back in his body then I blinked and he was at the park but I didn't hear anyone there fill him in so I was curious how he knew to pull the stone out of the rock. I think I'm just over thinking this. 

9 minutes ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

think I'm just over thinking this. 

Not much to overthink.. At least not yet... They didnt flesh out how hes related or what it could mean.. They just mentioned it  and then benched him...  for a while if not permanently

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, UnoAgain said:

Not much to overthink.. At least not yet... They didnt flesh out how hes related or what it could mean.. They just mentioned it  and then benched him...  for a while if not permanently

Going to hope and pray this means Raf will come again like King Arthur.

As for the rest, I actually like Handon, so I wish they would stop with all the drama. 

Alyssa, taking the nuclear option as always. She does something crappy, people retaliate and she decides to destroy everything for revenge. Please try something new, show.

1 hour ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

Thanks ElectricBoogaloo 🙂 I heard that but that last I saw of Raf was he was trying to convince Landon to get back in his body then I blinked and he was at the park but I didn't hear anyone there fill him in so I was curious how he knew to pull the stone out of the rock. I think I'm just over thinking this. 

Raf wasn't trying to remove the sword from the stone. MG got knocked to the ground. Raf knelt down and offered him a hand to help him get up. He put his other hand on the sword to steady himself. When they stood up, Raf unintentionally pulled the sword out.

6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Raf wasn't trying to remove the sword from the stone. MG got knocked to the ground. Raf knelt down and offered him a hand to help him get up. He put his other hand on the sword to steady himself. When they stood up, Raf unintentionally pulled the sword out.

Got it. Thanks 🙂

Coming around to this thought late and know that this was written with the intent of writing Raf out means it could never have really been on the table (and they’d come up with some excuse for why if wouldn’t work I’m sure), but there was an even more obvious solution that would have taken far less work that I would have liked to have seen be addressed.

Hope just needed to feed Raf a little of her blood before he died again and Alakazam! He’s a hybrid. But that plus being a descendant of King Arthur would have probably made him too interesting so... yeah.

*sigh* and now I’m imagining a parallel world where Landon was written out of the show after melting to goo instead and Hope and the Hybrid Heir to King Arthur started bonding over his death.

• Love 2