Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Look how long people ignored Kristen Stewart being a lesbian.  

To be fair, look how long Kristen Stewart ignored Kristen Stewart being a lesbian.  

• LOL 17
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 6/23/2021 at 9:22 PM, Dani said:

A symptom of many types of mental illnesses is impulsive and risky behavior. So people can be capable of working a stable job and make really poor and dangerous decisions in their personal life. 

I rented an office next to a gentleman who suffered from bi-polar disorder, and perhaps other things I wasn't privy to.  He bootstrapped and owned a business, which was very successful for many years.  Then he drank windshield washer fluid in his 3rd attempt at suicide.  He survived, not physically unscathed, but returned.  Several years later, while out of state on business, his 4th or 5th attempt succeeded.  Point of the story is that he was an adult with a certain net worth, who was not under any legal constraints preventing him from living his life freely.  Who can say whether a conservator would have changed the circumstances of his life or death?

No one here is likely privy to all that took place to convince a judge that she needed a conservator, but the fact that she had at the time, two small children who at times were under her control, may have played a part (and let's face it, the other parent is Kevin Federline 😒).  I would like to think that the same actions would have been taken had she been a server in a restaurant, or a massage therapist, making a fraction of that income, but probably not.  

She is 15 years down the road now.  If there have been concerning incidents during those 15 years, then her handlers have managed to keep it from the scent hounds at TMZ.  At 40 years old, it is probably time for her to have autonomy over her own affairs, so long as her children's future is secured.  I don't have direct knowledge of any harm her father may be responsible for, but in his defense, the next conservator should there be one, will probably earn $16k monthly as well, and that person won't have any personal feelings about her welfare.  That may or may not be a good thing.

One thing won't change; her life will continue and probably end, in a fishbowl, whether that is 25 or 50 years on.  

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
One 'l' in welfare dummy.
(edited)
4 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I remember Meghan talking about her attraction to women a long time ago. She would talk about different female celebs she found sexy and everything. 

That's what I thought too. I've never particularly followed her career--I'm not even sure I've ever watched her in anything, to be perfectly honest--but I remember her talking about being bi in interviews not long after she first got famous with the Transformers movies. This would have been, what, 2008/2009ish. In fact, I remember her talking about that way before a lot of other celebrities, and it's actually one of the only things I knew about her. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

That’s really not unusual just because the same sex dating pool for bisexuals is very small. That combined with other issues like bi-erasure are a big reason the majority of bisexuals end up in “straight” relationships. 

Granted, it could be one of those Jennifer Lawrence "jokes" but from that same Megan Fox article, of course your dating pool is going to be small if you say/think things like this...

"I think people are born bisexual and they make subconscious choices based on the pressures of society," she shared, adding that she is a "hypocrite" because she wouldn't date a bisexual woman.

"That means they also sleep with men, and men are so dirty that I'd never want to sleep with a girl who had slept with a man," she told the magazine. 

Also, gotta point out that the colors on her nails are NOT the Pride colors. I know there's a segment of the internet obsessed with Jennifer's Body but surely we can do better for queer icons. 

Supposedly, for bi women, they were really straight.  So they'd end up with a male partner.  For bi men, they were actually gay so they'd also end up with a male partner.  It was the late 80s and we were teenagers, what the hell did we know?

This is still the thinking for some people. Stolen from a youtube comment, but this basically prioritizes men. Notice how everything just leads back to being attracted to men. Especially if you add in the crazy view some men still have that they can "turn" lesbians. Only the asexuals are safe from men thinking everyone wants to have sex with them.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, aradia22 said:

Notice how everything just leads back to being attracted to men. Especially if you add in the crazy view some men still have that they can "turn" lesbians. Only the asexuals are safe from men thinking everyone wants to have sex with them.

Oh, no they're not - they still deal with men who think they just haven't come across the right dick yet, and this guy's just the one to show 'em what they're missing.

• Love 9
16 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

The parent being a kids manager seems like a massive conflict of interest. Since a kid can't legally enter into a contract, then being the manager and the guardian means you are entering into a contract with yourself. Now I know that the laws in California make it so that a manager can't take like a 90% cut, but beyond that how much better are they?

Could not agree more..   You can either parent or you can manage the kid's career, you cannot do both.   If your kid is the breadwinner, then you are not thinking they need a rest from working, you are thinking the mortgage needs to be paid.  

The ONLY time, the parent manager thing worked was with Allison Arngrim from Little House.  Her dad was her manager.   But 1) her mom was there to keep him in line 2) her guardian on set was her aunt so it was a separate person looking out for her on set and 3) dad was not in charge of the money, his business partner handled Allison's trust account.   So it worked because of all the safeguards her parents put in place to make sure she was protected -- even from them.   I strongly suspect he wasn't taking a cut as her manager either because at one point in her book she says the family was so broke her dad was stealing tips off the tables in a restaurant.   If he was taking a cut, he would have had her money as income since she was working.   

Sadly most parents don't do this.  they see their kid is going to be a star and lose their damn minds.

• Useful 11
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

The ONLY time, the parent manager thing worked was with Allison Arngrim from Little House.  Her dad was her manager.   But 1) her mom was there to keep him in line 2) her guardian on set was her aunt so it was a separate person looking out for her on set and 3) dad was not in charge of the money, his business partner handled Allison's trust account.   So it worked because of all the safeguards her parents put in place to make sure she was protected -- even from them. 

I'm not sure if he managed his son's career, but Rance Howard was responsible for how great Ron Howard turned out. He was on set of The Andy Griffith Show, and even appeared a couple of times; even a couple of times on Happy Days. I've heard nothing but good things about Rance and what a good dad he was. And Ron Howard is one of the successes of a child actor, to teen and adult, before moving behind the camera.

Ron even talked about how when he acted out once on the set of Andy Griffith Show, that Rance disciplined him, and when he went running to Andy, Andy sided with Rance. It was a delightful interview.

• Useful 1
  • Love 20
8 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Which was, kinda sorta, the plot of Chasing Amy.

Shailene Woodley also identifies as bisexual and is engaged to a straight man, A 2013 Pew Research LGBT Survey found 84 percent of self-identified bisexuals in committed relationships have a partner of the opposite sex, while only 9 percent are in same-sex relationships.

There's been a lot of rumors about Shailene's fiancé not being straight.  From celebrity gossip sites to the comment sections of sports websites/social media, Aaron Rodgers has been rumored to be in the closet and using beards for years now.  

(edited)
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'm not sure if he managed his son's career, but Rance Howard was responsible for how great Ron Howard turned out. He was on set of The Andy Griffith Show, and even appeared a couple of times; even a couple of times on Happy Days. I've heard nothing but good things about Rance and what a good dad he was. And Ron Howard is one of the successes of a child actor, to teen and adult, before moving behind the camera.

Ron even talked about how when he acted out once on the set of Andy Griffith Show, that Rance disciplined him, and when he went running to Andy, Andy sided with Rance. It was a delightful interview.

Jacob Tremblay's parents seem to be doing all right. There are plenty of times when the parent is doing a horrible job parenting their child star, but that's not everyone. Neil Patrick Harris doesn't seem to have had any issues with his parents (or his money). Emma Watson seems just fine, as does Daniel Radcliffe. 

I think the percentage of shit parents of child stars is only slightly higher than the percentage of shit parents to other children. 

Weighing in on the Britney issue though, which I've mostly avoided. I'm torn because I think she has serious mental health issues affecting her judgment and reasoning. On the other hand, so do a lot of people and they are allowed to just go around fucking up their lives left and right. I think Britney is a total disaster, but she has the right to make her own disastrous decisions. Just because she's rich doesn't mean she requires or deserves greater oversight. 

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Sadly most parents don't do this.  they see their kid is going to be a star and lose their damn minds.

Kris Jenner comes to mind.

Jodie Foster is one of the most successful child stars.  Don't know who managed her career or earnings as a child but she turned out great.

It seems like the younger stars who had parents that became famous as being said younger stars parent that is when things go awry. Dina Lohan comes to mind.

• Love 14
10 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

. Just because she's rich doesn't requires or deserves greater oversight. 

There has to be a happy medium out there somewhere.  Some oversight to protect her money so that she doesn't end up on the streets - but an acknowledgement that as an adult she can make up her own damn mind if she wants to have an IUD removed.

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

There has to be a happy medium out there somewhere.  Some oversight to protect her money so that she doesn't end up on the streets - but an acknowledgement that as an adult she can make up her own damn mind if she wants to have an IUD removed.

Woops, I forgot the word "mean she" in that quote. Sorry. 

And...people end up on the street all the damn time. That's their choice.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

And...people end up on the street all the damn time. That's their choice.

I don't know about choice - do people deliberately choose to impoverish themselves?  But if that were to happen to her it would be nice to think her family would step up and help her  - but why do I doubt that.

• Love 2
(edited)
6 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I don't know about choice - do people deliberately choose to impoverish themselves?  But if that were to happen to her it would be nice to think her family would step up and help her  - but why do I doubt that.

Okay...I worded it incorrectly.

"People end up on the street all the damn time. That's the result of the choices they made." 

I am against a paternalistic society in which choice is removed from individuals, even if the consequence of the choice is terrible. 

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Love 9
15 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I read on another site that a reason for the forced birth control could be the psychiatric medication that she is on:  that because some of that medication causes horrific birth defects, it won’t be prescribed without a long-term birth control method in place.  And if her conservator is requiring her to be psychiatrically medicated because she has been deemed not to be capable of making that choice for herself, the conservator is therefore correspondingly going to make the decision that she should therefore not have children.

As I type that, it viscerally horrifies me that that decision is getting made for Britney.  I have no earthly idea how sick Britney really is.  But as a society, we generally don’t forcibly medicate people against their will; we let them make their own (poor) decisions, let them blow through their money, let it end in tragedy if the person can’t find to a workable medication regime that keeps them stable, etc.

And when I hear experts in the field saying how extraordinarily unusual it is that she is well enough to be put to work performing, or advocate for herself through a statement to the court (that may be described as disjointed, but is clearly coherent enough to make her point) but apparently (per her conservators and the court), permanently (as opposed to temporarily) not well enough to manage her own bodily matters and her own financial matters, I do heavily side eye the situation. I also know that people have made points in this thread of non-senior adults who have been under conservatorship because it was necessary, so I’m not saying I’m qualified to judge this situation.  But it makes me so sad that she doesn’t seem to have many (any?) people in this court process who don’t have something to gain by keeping her under conservatorship.

• Useful 1
  • Love 16
(edited)
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And Jean Howard did the same for Clint on Gentle Ben. Amazing people.

Quinn Cummings said it best on her Twitter. She said her mom  didn't see her as an ATM.

Edited by bobalina
  • Love 9
11 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

I do heavily side eye the situation. I also know that people have made points in this thread of non-senior adults who have been under conservatorship because it was necessary, so I’m not saying I’m qualified to judge this situation.

This is where I am as well in this whole thing.  I am assuming there is far more to this story than we're hearing in terms of what specifically is wrong with Britney that this kind of conservatorship has been in place for so long - but obviously I really don't know. 

I do know what it's like to have to deal with seniors who are edging towards dementia but have not had an actual diagnosis so you can't step in even as you watch them make very horrible decisions.  It is a situation I would wish on nobody.  But would that have happened in this specific case without intervention?  No idea.

• Love 10

I think Neil Patrick Harris' parents are lawyers as well. It was not like he did not have talent. He was an amateur magician in his youth and you could see that in an episode or two on one of his shows.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I'm surprised she hasn't removed it herself (or attempted to).

12 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I'm surprised she hasn't removed it herself (or attempted to).

I honestly think Britney is too trusting to realize her options.  IUDs have a string for a reason, and while painful, it can be done at home.  I also think she is someone who blindly takes whatever meds prescribed by her doctors as well.  No one can make you take a medication like lithium without using restraints or coercion.  

• Love 6
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yep. Ron's also talked about how his dad made it clear that he should have a chance to be a regular kid and get to do regular kid things, too, that his life didn't solely revolve around being a kid star, which also helped. It sounds like he had a lot of adults looking out for him, from his dad to the people on the set of the show, and that clearly went a long way towards helping to keep him out of trouble. 

Freddie Highmore was another kid actor who also managed to avoid the child star trappings and craziness. I remember he mentioned once that spending most of his childhood/teen years back home in England, far away from the Hollywood lifestyles and things of that sort, was beneficial for him in that regard. He also took a break after doing some acting as a kid and focused on going to school, and returned to acting as an adult. So now, not only does he have his schooling to fall back on should he ever step away from acting, that break also made it easier for him to transition into new kinds of roles as an adult. He didn't have to worry as much about the, "But you were a cute kid actor, you can't do this darker role, no one will buy you in it!" arguments. So he could go on and play someone like Norman Bates and not have that baggage around him. 

• Love 14
4 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

In these types of situations stepping up and helping quickly turns into enabling. Obviously, it’s complicated with Britney supporting her family for years but if she gets control and spirals downward helping out it’s often fruitless and counterproductive. 

4 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

Jodie Foster is one of the most successful child stars.  Don't know who managed her career or earnings as a child but she turned out great.

Jodie’s mother was her manager. She was also a successful Hollywood publicist before she managed Jodie’s career. 

Zendaya is another who had a parent for a manager and it worked out really well. 

(edited)
15 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Which was, kinda sorta, the plot of Chasing Amy.

It was part of the plot of Chasing Amy, definitely. But there was also the whole thing about Holden's insecure masculinity being unable to cope with the idea that the girl he'd 'turned' wasn't as gay as he thought, and had sex with other guys before they met.

He was fine hearing about Alyssa's sexual exploits with other girls, but as soon as he learned she once had a threesome with two guys, he spiralled and completely destroyed their relationship.

In the end he lost the girl because he couldn't deal with his own shit, and he lost his best friend, Banksy, because Banksy couldn't deal with his unrequited romantic feelings for Holden.

No one will ever accuse Kevin Smith of being a deep, thoughtful filmmaker, but there's some stuff in there that shows a level of self-reflection that a lot of writers lack.

23 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

*tap*tap*  "Is this thing on?"

I think I need to develop a podcast...

amazon-buys-jason-bateman-sean-hayes-and-will-arnett-s-smartless-podcast-for-80-million

microphone.jpg

That's insane. I've listened to a bunch of episodes of Smartless, and it's not worth a whole lot more than I paid - nothing. 

They're all nice, funny guys and the guests seem to be game for conversation, but there's nothing really there. It's all just little stories and quips and anecdotes about their lives and the lives of other famous people they know.

Usually, I finish an episode with an unsatisfied, 'is that it?' feeling, like I was still waiting for them to actually give me something interesting.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Useful 8
  • Love 2
(edited)

I think the Coreys were the most tragic as far as their parents goes. It's weird how we believe that in the beginning we thought the Coreys were drug addicts and we blamed them for not having any control of their careers when the fame was over. Little did we know that sexual abuse was the root as to why they became damaged for years. And when we finally see what horrible parents they were,  we are angry at them for letting that happen. At first, we thought they should have learned their lessons. Little did we know it was much deeper than that.

Edited by letter8358
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

10 hours ago, bobalina said:

And Jean Howard did the same for Clint on Gentle Ben. Amazing people.

The Howard brothers have written a book, The Boys: A Memoir of Hollywood and Family, that will be released in October. I'm looking forward to this one.

• Useful 7
  • Love 8

It's been literally decades since I've seen Chasing Amy so I will take your word that it was more nuanced than I remember. I'm really surprised social media has not resurfaced the Black comic book writer's rant from the opening but lots of people probably forgot the movie exists.

Dan Radcliffe had a black-out drinking problem, he managed to keep it quiet for years.

Journalists and Paparazzi have caught Radcliffe drunk or partying a handful of times, but his antics caused no warning signs. In fact, no one that knows Radcliffe personally ever spoke out about him having a drinking problem. However, much more was going on behind the scenes than most knew.

Daniel Radcliffe reportedly stopped drinking for the first time in 2010 after finishing filming for the last Harry Potter movie. As it turns out, Radcliffe was either hungover or still drunk from the night before in several scenes in the last few Harry Potter movies. As Radcliffe says himself, “I can point to many scenes where I’m just gone. Dead behind the eyes.” He claims that while he never drank on the set, his drinking definitely affected his acting. If you’re wondering why so few people knew about his alcohol abuse, he rightfully says, “People with problems like that are very adept at hiding it.”

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I think Fred Savage’s parents managed his career without issue.  Britney’s story breaks my heart.

Jaleel White (who’s Mom managed his career well) had a really great podcast last year called “Ever After” where he talked to former child stars that didn’t go off the deep end. (To keep it on topic) He also spends a bit of time discussing Bill Cosby and what he did for the careers of he and his peers, without apologizing for his heinous crimes at all. I really liked it- I wish there are more episodes. 

Edited to Add-  Ever After (apple podcasts). My fav episodes were with Raven, Danica McKellar, Haley Joel Osment and Mayim Bialik.

• Useful 7
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, lurkerbee said:

The Howard brothers have written a book, The Boys: A Memoir of Hollywood and Family, that will be released in October. I'm looking forward to this one.

Definitely putting this on my "to buy" list!

Another former child star who seems to have parents who kept her on a good path is Mayim Bialik.  Which makes me wonder if the child stars who take a break to get an education are, generally speaking, the ones who had parents with their heads screwed on right?

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
41 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Another former child star who seems to have parents who kept her on a good path is Mayim Bialik.  Which makes me wonder if the child stars who take a break to get an education are, generally speaking, the ones who had parents with their heads screwed on right?

I used to watch Blossom. Those 90s hats! 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Jaleel White (who’s Mom managed his career well) had a really great podcast last year called “Ever After” where he talked to former child stars that didn’t go off the deep end. (To keep it on topic) He also spends a bit of time discussing Bill Cosby and what he did for the careers of he and his peers, without apologizing for his heinous crimes at all. I really liked it- I wish there are more episodes. 

Does he address playing a horrible creeper of a character who was presented as a harmless nice guy who deserved the girl he stalked?

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

Does he address playing a horrible creeper of a character who was presented as a harmless nice guy who deserved the girl he stalked?

A little bit. It was more about the behind the scenes stuff and how he has a teen/child handled that. 

• Useful 4
8 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

She was on Jaleel’s podcast. 

Yes, I think having parents who didn’t exploit them, actually parented them, and didn’t use them to fulfill some failed dream ended up the best. 

• Love 6

Did Jaleel White ever talk about the late Donna Summer? He played his aunt, who had a weight problem and only appeared twice on Family Matters. Of course, she would wear a fat suit and have big huge glasses to make her unattractive.

• Love 3

Brandy and her mother did an interview with Oprah about this very thing.  Brandy's mom was her manager and in the interview she talked about how she was so determined that Brandy not end up broke and broken like so many other child stars that she was sometimes a bit more of a manager than she was a mom.  She was so hyper-focused on making sure Brandy had the tools not to be taken advantage of and learning how to manage money that sometimes she forgot to also be the 'hugging' mother who would just listen to their teenager vent etc.  It was a good interview and I like how frank they both were. 

Also Raven Simone's father was her manager.  And her parents managed her money and guided her career so well that she never had to touch her principal earnings from the Cosby show.  In an interview she did she said that money is just still sitting there. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 14
46 minutes ago, letter8358 said:

Did Jaleel White ever talk about the late Donna Summer? He played his aunt, who had a weight problem and only appeared twice on Family Matters. Of course, she would wear a fat suit and have big huge glasses to make her unattractive.

No I dont recall him discussing that. 

1 minute ago, DearEvette said:

Also Raven Simone's father was her manager.  And her parents managed her money and guided her career so well that she never had to touch her principal earnings from the Cosby show.  In an interview she did she said that money is just still sitting there. 

Yup, Raven was also on an episode of Jaleel's podcast, she spoke about how now she just has a lawyer and a manager because she wishes to keep her earnings. She lives off what what she makes now, and her Cosby money is sitting there.

• Useful 6
  • Love 1

Jaleel. White playing a bullying stalker that the show tried to insist the audience was supposed to like and sympathize with wasn't something that was entirely in his control at the time (especially when he was a minor). 

However, how he treated his colleagues WAS- and, by his own admission, he dumped on and dissed his younger costar Jaimee Foxworth and even decades later attempted to justify having done so (despite her having made it public record that her own female DNA Donor had very badly exploited her during that time).

So, my question re the podcast, did Mr. White take the opportunity given to him via that outlet to apologize for having dissed a minor performer who'd had serious issues during that time?

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

You make a good point. Parents can make a difference. Danica McKeller from The Wonder Years also took a break to go to college and went on to write books about mathematics. She's still acting too.

Malcolm Jamal Warner's mom sat him down to teach him where all is money was. As a young teen, that's the last thing he wanted to do but says he's greatful now.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

Also, I was today years old when I learned that she and Darryl Bell (Darryl from A Different World) have been together for 27 years!  Holy cow.

Vanessa with Darryl?!?!  My mind is blown.

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

The news just put out a special report. Bill Cosby has been released from jail. His sentence was overturned. The victims are not happy. 

What??? How???

3 hours ago, Blergh said:

Jaleel. White playing a bullying stalker that the show tried to insist the audience was supposed to like and sympathize with wasn't something that was entirely in his control at the time (especially when he was a minor). 

However, how he treated his colleagues WAS- and, by his own admission, he dumped on and dissed his younger costar Jaimee Foxworth and even decades later attempted to justify having done so (despite her having made it public record that her own female DNA Donor had very badly exploited her during that time).

So, my question re the podcast, did Mr. White take the opportunity given to him via that outlet to apologize for having dissed a minor performer who'd had serious issues during that time?

I didn’t know anything about this. Do tell!

• Love 1