Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

(edited)
24 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

I understand what you are saying but it is beyond fucked up that he gets to spend her money as he wants and she cannot.

That's a good point but for me what stands out in this situation isn't that so much as that Federline has apparently been living off the child support payments, not using it to supplement his income the way most parents do, if true he's in for a rude awakening.

I totally agree that the custodial parent should absolutely not have to account for how every penny is spent (I know way too many controlling jerks who figured a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter dropped off once a week was more than enough 'child support') but in the case of the super rich the person on the receiving end would be well advised to invest the money wisely because it inevitably must end.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 10
(edited)
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

l'm more surprised when that DOESN'T happen, like in the case of the Olsen twins.  If they really are worth $250 million each, I have to assume it's because their parents are good people.  And the Olsens hired some really great lawyers/financial advisors as soon as they were able to.

I ... am not so sure about their parents.   Their father said this about the twins in a 1991 interview: 

They were almost like chimpanzees when they were little. You just dress them up and they’re fun.

Who says this about their own children?  Yikes.  But okay, benefit of the doubt, it was bad phrasing.  But then he eventually left his wife (their mother) for his secretary, which doesn’t necessarily make him a bad person, but isn’t the greatest fact on record.  After the divorce, he took over the decision making about their careers.

Ashley said in an interview when she was older that she would never wish her upbringing on anyone.  She may have been bitter about the divorce, but maybe their father did work them into the ground.

He does get “credit” for not stealing all their money during their childhood, though.  However, I had read years and years ago that the Olsen twins’ stunning financial success was mostly attributable to a very savvy manager who just had a Gretzky-like ability to know what the next money-making move to protect their wealth should be (from getting them pay raises on Full House, to setting up a production company for their direct-to-video movies to making sure they would be put in charge of their company at age 18 to get the sole financial benefit of it to their Wal-Mart partnership).  I’m glad their manager didn’t bleed them dry and at least set them up financially so that they could launch their fashion careers and do what they really want to do as adults.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Useful 9
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Do you recall where you saw that from Robert Plant?  I’m a huge fan.

Sadly, I don't! I'm also a big fan and have read a lot of interviews with him over the years.  If I find it again, I'll definitely post it! 

• Love 1
(edited)
52 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

I ... am not so sure about their parents.   Their father said this about the twins in a 1991 interview: 

Who says this about their own children?  Yikes.  But okay, benefit of the doubt, it was bad phrasing.  But then he eventually left his wife (their mother) for his secretary, which doesn’t necessarily make him a bad person, but isn’t the greatest fact on record.  After the divorce, he took over the decision making about their careers.

Ashley said in an interview when she was older that she would never wish her upbringing on anyone.  She may have been bitter about the divorce, but maybe their father did work them into the ground.

He does get “credit” for not stealing all their money during their childhood, though.  However, I had read years and years ago that the Olsen twins’ stunning financial success was mostly attributable to a very savvy manager who just had a Gretzky-like ability to know what the next money-making move to protect their wealth should be (from getting them pay raises on Full House, to setting up a production company for their direct-to-video movies to making sure they would be put in charge of their company at age 18 to get the sole financial benefit of it to their Wal-Mart partnership).  I’m glad their manager didn’t bleed them dry and at least set them up financially so that they could launch their fashion careers and do what they really want to do as adults.

Yeah, this all kind of makes sense, because while I could kind of see the runaway success of "Full House" not being predictable, there's no good explanation for putting the twins in like 100 movies when they were young.

If only everyone could have such a good manager.  

52 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

Ashley said in an interview when she was older that she would never wish her upbringing on anyone.

I'm a big fan of hers and I don't blame her 1 percent for feeling that way.  The Olsens were criticized for not attending the FH revival, but that really annoyed me.  Why the hell should they?  As if it was their choice to join FH when they WERE BABIES!  *BABIES!* They should do whatever they want forever and ever.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 18
2 hours ago, Zella said:

Sadly, I don't! I'm also a big fan and have read a lot of interviews with him over the years.  If I find it again, I'll definitely post it! 

Please do.  We are best friends...in my mind that is.🥰. I saw a great video of him with Brian Johnson.  Funny comments in first few seconds.  

• Love 5
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Please do.  We are best friends...in my mind that is.🥰. I saw a great video of him with Brian Johnson.  Funny comments in first few seconds.  

THATS Robert Plant????? The rock god Robert Plant????? 

THIS Robert Plant??????

y7ouytd2k5i51.png?auto=webp&s=627d31cb69

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yeah, this all kind of makes sense, because while I could kind of see the runaway success of "Full House" not being predictable, there's no good explanation for putting the twins in like 100 movies when they were young.

If only everyone could have such a good manager.  

I'm a big fan of hers and I don't blame her 1 percent for feeling that way.  The Olsens were criticized for not attending the FH revival, but that really annoyed me.  Why the hell should they?  As if it was their choice to join FH when they WERE BABIES!  *BABIES!* They should do whatever they want forever and ever.  

Same here. They were asked and they said no. Its their choice.  Accept it and move on.

• Love 12
11 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

understand what you are saying but it is beyond fucked up that he gets to spend her money as he wants and she cannot.

What's really fucked up is if he is paying support payments to his ex partners with her money.

• Love 2
(edited)
16 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I think there were also some cases of parents deliberately profiting from their children's careers, to the point they no longer had jobs on their own. I don't remember any specifics, but I think some sitcom child actor was a subject to this.

There are way too many cases.  Gary Coleman, who, like the Olsens, was working before he was old enough to go to school, eventually had to go to court to try to get an accounting of what happened to his money.  Turns out, mom and dad paid themselves well, lived lavishly, and there was virtually nothing left for him as an adult.

The original child star tragedy was Jackie Coogan, who starred in silent films as a child with stars like Charlie Chaplin.  He's probably best remembered today for playing Uncle Fester on the Addams Family TV show in the 60's.  As a child, he did film after film, earning a fortune.  Turns out his mother and stepfather spent every dime and he was left with nothing but debt as an adult.  California passed a law requiring parents of minor children to set aside part of their income for them after that, known as Coogan's Law.  Obviously, it isn't enough, but it was a start.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 9
(edited)
3 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

What's really fucked up is if he is paying support payments to his ex partners with her money.

He is still married to the mother of his two youngest kids.  The mother of his two oldest, Shar Jackson, is an actress and has always made more money than Federline.  I doubt he ever paid support for her and they were never married.  At least one of his two kids with her is over 18, so I don't think he's paying much child support either.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Useful 6
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

There are way too many cases.  Gary Coleman, who, like the Olsens, was working before he was old enough to go to school, eventually had to go to court to try to get an accounting of what happened to his money.  Turns out, mom and dad paid themselves well, lived lavishly, and there was virtually nothing left for him as an adult.

The original child star tragedy was Jackie Coogan, who starred in silent films as a child with stars like Charlie Chaplin.  He's probably best remembered today for playing Uncle Fester on the Addams Family TV show in the 60's.  As a child, he did film after film, earning a fortune.  Turns out his mother and stepfather spent every dime and he was left with nothing but debt as an adult.  California passed a law requiring parents of minor children to set aside part of their income for them after that, known as Coogan's Law.  Obviously, it isn't enough, but it was a start.

That's horrible.

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

California passed a law requiring parents of minor children to set aside part of their income for them after that, known as Coogan's Law.  Obviously, it isn't enough, but it was a start.

Right.  That's positive, but California needs to pass WAY MORE laws than that.

And why would it even be only PART of their income?  Omg, these parents are so awful.  Get a fucking job!  Send your kids to school!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Right.  That's positive, but California needs to pass WAY MORE laws than that.

And why would it even be only PART of their income?  Omg, these parents are so awful.  Get a fucking job!  Send your kids to school!

Al, we need is an amendment to the Coogan law. I think it's 25% now. It cannot be 100% because even minor actors need to pay taxes , agents, union dues and other related expenses.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Soft Cell's Marc Almond recalls polarized reaction to Tainted Love

Holy Shit. That's quite scary and especially trying to come out in the 80s. It kind of reminds as to George Michael was dealing with his sexuality and the only people he ever told about having gay impulses was Andrew Ridgeley and George's two sisters. It is funny how many UK/USA 80s groups/singers are gay, but growing up in the 80s they must have felt traumatized for years. It definitely was a scary time to come out, even if there was speculation about them to begin with.

• Useful 10
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Is it okay if I contribute an apology, too? Britney Spears was my favorite celebrity dartboard back in the day, and in hindsight it was utterly shitty of me. I was an immature, ignorant, basic little conformist, and I am sorry that I was the problem. No, the fact that I didn't like most of her songs* was absolutely no excuse. 

You know what also pisses me off that doesn't get brought up often enough? That Britney, a perfectly good singer to start with, was encouraged and trained to sing in that awful, baby-ish affect that became her trademark. Was it because they thought it was sexier? Because... no, you fucking perverts. I'm not even going to go into detail on how gross and wrong that is. 

*Though I will love and defend "Toxic" as a near-perfect pop song 'til my last breath.

I can't believe that's what she really sounds like, I would have never guessed it.

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Is it okay if I contribute an apology, too? Britney Spears was my favorite celebrity dartboard back in the day, and in hindsight it was utterly shitty of me. I was an immature, ignorant, basic little conformist, and I am sorry that I was the problem. No, the fact that I didn't like most of her songs* was absolutely no excuse. 

Co-sign me to this. I’m pretty sure I did my fair share of mocking Britney when she had her meltdown, but I also pitied her and thought she deserved more compassion and respect than she was getting from media. Like all of you, I had no idea that it was this bad.

I remember how amazed I was that South Park of all shows did an episode that called out everyone for ripping on Britney and satirized how the media loves to put starlets like her on pedestals just to tear them down later as literal human sacrifices. Give credit where credit is due, South Park called it.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 17

I always liked Britney and had a soft spot for her and I think the only time I poked fun was during that horrible reality show she did with Kevin Federline. I think even then I knew she was just so desperate for love and a family, and felt bad she couldn't see that Kevin wasn't shit.

Britney was always so non-dramatic. I always say she could have made a killing in sales going back and forth with Justin with breakup songs but just chose to come out with her apology song and ignored the many years of him still talking shit about her whenever he referenced the song. Just recently, she gave him a nice little shout out on Instagram. She deserves so much better than she got.

Her real voice sounds really good. She could have really been the successful Janet Jackson-esque pop/R&B star that she wanted to be if Jive didn't shoehorn her in to bubblegum pop.

• Love 21

I always knew what Britney's voice sounded like because for some reason I think I've watched all the things where the news broadcast, retrospective, etc. would play clips of Star Search. Not just for Britney... I think for a while it was just popular to show early Star Search and TV talent show appearances. 

Anyway, I think she sounds like a typical child singer/actor. Too loud and pushing too hard. The majority of children don't actually have "big" voices. But, if properly trained, you could see her growing to sound more like Leann Rimes. It's so many kinds of wrong that they trained her in the baby voice; it took away her real voice, probably caused vocal damage, and, let's be honest, is only "marketable" for creepy, problematic reasons. 

• Love 21
(edited)

I wasn't the biggest fan of Britney's music until Blackout was released.  Then, I started to reevaluate her stuff and realized that I really liked it, excluding her way-too-bubblegum debut album (though there are a couple of good songs on there).

I have no idea what's true and what isn't concerning her conservatorship, but I do work at a behavioral health facility, so I know firsthand that these things are always ten times more complicated than people think.  I never thought her father was the best choice for conservator, though.  The family has talked about problems with him for years, and he never seemed like the most stable influence.  Of course I hope Britney is heard, and is eventually allowed to live her own life however she chooses.  She does seem like a sweet person who just wants to be happy.

As for Timberlake's apology...I don't want to be so unforgiving, but I can't help but feel like he only started rooting for Britney after the tide turned, and bashing women so openly and unapologetically fell out of favor (not that it was ever cool, but you know what I mean).  I'm sorry, but since he recently got a lot of flak for his treatment of Britney and Janet Jackson, I question his sincerity.   That's just how I feel.

Edited by Everina
  • Useful 1
  • Love 22
1 hour ago, aradia22 said:

I always knew what Britney's voice sounded like because for some reason I think I've watched all the things where the news broadcast, retrospective, etc. would play clips of Star Search. Not just for Britney... I think for a while it was just popular to show early Star Search and TV talent show appearances. 

Anyway, I think she sounds like a typical child singer/actor. Too loud and pushing too hard. The majority of children don't actually have "big" voices. But, if properly trained, you could see her growing to sound more like Leann Rimes. It's so many kinds of wrong that they trained her in the baby voice; it took away her real voice, probably caused vocal damage, and, let's be honest, is only "marketable" for creepy, problematic reasons. 

Britney became an international superstar based on her dancing/performing ability and star quality. I can't imagine how big her career would be if she grew to sound more like Leann Rimes. She has more fame than she ever wanted, but it is still a waste of potential talent. Is there any way that baby voice could be trained out?

1 hour ago, AgentRXS said:

I always liked Britney and had a soft spot for her and I think the only time I poked fun was during that horrible reality show she did with Kevin Federline. I think even then I knew she was just so desperate for love and a family, and felt bad she couldn't see that Kevin wasn't shit.

Britney was always so non-dramatic. I always say she could have made a killing in sales going back and forth with Justin with breakup songs but just chose to come out with her apology song and ignored the many years of him still talking shit about her whenever he referenced the song. Just recently, she gave him a nice little shout out on Instagram. She deserves so much better than she got.

Her real voice sounds really good. She could have really been the successful Janet Jackson-esque pop/R&B star that she wanted to be if Jive didn't shoehorn her in to bubblegum pop.

Honestly, Britney always reminded more of Janet than Madonna, both as a performer and her personality. I love Madonna's music, but I don't think she has videos or performances where I would want to copy the moves like Britney and Janet. Both women also seem very sweet and even shy off stage. Madonna is said to be nicer than she portrays herself at times, but she doesn't have that gentleness about her. 

• Love 11

Is there any way that baby voice could be trained out?

Short answer, yes. Longer answer, probably not in a way that would restore her voice to whatever it's potential would have been if she had been singing properly from a young age. And it would be highly dependent on how much vocal damage she has. (Baby voice aside, because she is so reliant on lip-syncing, I don't know that anyone is that concerned with her doing vocal warmups and eating/drinking the right things and going on vocal rest when necessary, etc.)

It's just how actors do accent training for roles. You can learn to sound a certain way and gain/drop any accent or vocal affectation. (This is not the time for it, but you can see this with singers who mysteriously gain/lose "blaccents.") But I'm always doubtful when someone says they're getting voice lessons for a singing role because at a certain level of difficulty, that voice is not going to materialize in months or even years if you haven't been consistently training, especially if you're talking about a Broadway screlter or a legit soprano... opera is almost entirely out of the question.

• Useful 5
  • Love 8

There are now reports that on the day of the conservatorship back in 2008, the (then) judge ordered that Britney's court-appointed attorney not allow Britney to have copies of her court documents, and a proposed order was filed today to name Jamie Spears along with Bessemer Trust to be co-conservators of the estate of Britney Spears. 

Neither of those things can be legal, are they?

• Useful 10
  • Love 1

You know, I've been thinking more about the video of Britney's real voice, & I seemed to remember an interview she gave where she said she wished her voice was more like Christina Aguilera's. I finally tracked it down. Britney: I'd Love a Voice Like Christina's

"Do I like my voice? Um — I think my voice is — oh, I'll be completely honest: I think my voice is OK," she said.

She went on to mention a couple of her rivals, Christina Aguilera and Whitney Houston. "I would love to have a voice like Christina. I would love to have a voice like Whitney Houston," she said.

Now I wonder if that was said because she wished she could be using her real voice, or maybe she forgot what her real voice sounded like.

1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

There are now reports that on the day of the conservatorship back in 2008, the (then) judge ordered that Britney's court-appointed attorney not allow Britney to have copies of her court documents, and a proposed order was filed today to name Jamie Spears along with Bessemer Trust to be co-conservators of the estate of Britney Spears. 

Neither of those things can be legal, are they?

Link? Are these reports available to read on mainstream news sites or are they just gossip on social media and entertainment "news" sites?

• Love 1

Britney became an international superstar based on her dancing/performing ability and star quality.

No, she became a star because she was presented as a sex kitten. Naked in the Toxic video:

"That's part of her brilliance," [video director] Kahn said. "She has this weird awareness of her appeal. She totally understands that she's naughty and nice, that she's the girl next door gone bad who is constantly titillating you. She's not like most artists who flaunt their pure sexuality. She toys with you and leaves you conflicted."

Naked in the Womanizer video. Sauna-only edits are readily available. Fully naked without a bodysuit this time. And I can't find the exact quote but her first manager or agent said that her appeal is that basically every man wants to despoil her.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Why wouldn’t the second thing be legal? Jamie Spears and Bessemer Trust have been the co-conservators of Britney’s estate since last November.

"That's part of her brilliance," [video director] Kahn said. "She has this weird awareness of her appeal. She totally understands that she's naughty and nice, that she's the girl next door gone bad who is constantly titillating you. She's not like most artists who flaunt their pure sexuality. She toys with you and leaves you conflicted."

Gross. Gross gross gross.

• Love 16
12 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Britney Spears was my favorite celebrity dartboard back in the day,

You (collective "you") can't laugh at Britney Spears if you cried for Robin Williams. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Quof said:

You (collective "you") can't laugh at Britney Spears if you cried for Robin Williams. 

I distinctly remember people mocking Robin Williams as being washed up and unfunny before he died. I have feeling people these days pretend that never happened out of guilt.

• Love 10
(edited)
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I distinctly remember people mocking Robin Williams as being washed up and unfunny before he died. I have feeling people these days pretend that never happened out of guilt.

Somewhat along the same lines, I distinctly remember people who dismissed all supporters of Miss Spears (trying to get   her help because they who believed she was being exploited and/or abused) as though said supporters were nothing but  hysterical crackpots and that there was no chance that Mr. Spears had been anything but a benign and benevolent parent who was doing his best to protect his daughter's interests and anyone who claimed otherwise was a negative person who was just being mean to Mr. Spears's plight for no reason whatsoever . It wasn't that long ago. 

Somehow like Mr. Williams' dissers, they seem to be hoping everyone has collective amnesia re how they evidently backed the wrong horse for far too long.

Not me.

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 7
(edited)
On 6/26/2021 at 4:06 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

Though I will love and defend "Toxic" as a near-perfect pop song 'til my last breath.

It is the only song of hers that I like, but that one song is one of my very favorite songs period.  Love the quasi-Bollywood arrangement.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 6
On 6/26/2021 at 11:29 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't really think kids should work either, but if they are acting, they need a chaperone on set, so if the parents are paying people for that, it should come out of kid's paycheck, or if they have to quit their job, or cut back on hours, to do it themselves, then they should get paid, again out of kid's paycheck.  But, yes, the lion's share should go into kid's account for future.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Katy M said:

I don't really think kids should work either, but if they are acting, they need a chaperone on set, so if the parents are paying people for that, it should come out of kid's paycheck, or if they have to quit their job, or cut back on hours, to do it themselves, then they should get paid, again out of kid's paycheck.  But, yes, the lion's share should go into kid's account for future.

Agreed - also if your kid is acting and is successful enough to be recognized then you need to consider security which should also be an expense coming out of the child's paycheque.   

I honestly don't know how I feel about kids getting into acting - is it similar to competitive sports?  Would it be fair to a talented child, no matter what the field, to say "wait until you're 18"?  Realistically for many sports that simply doesn't make sense.  Acting is a bit different of course but even so a blanket "no kids in TV or movies" isn't going to happen so making parents more accountable works for me.

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Apparently she is a bisexual who just happens to have had mostly (all?) men that she clicks with.  That's the thing with bisexual. You can't really disprove it, even if you have a mind to.

That’s really not unusual just because the same sex dating pool for bisexuals is very small. That combined with other issues like bi-erasure are a big reason the majority of bisexuals end up in “straight” relationships. 

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

That’s the downside and how we get into problems in the first place.   Kids can only work a certain number of hours by law which is why a lot of tv show that focus on teens tend to hire older.  They hire 20-23 years olds to be 14& 15 years olds so they can work a 8 to 10 hour day.    But if you need to hire a kid parents are often tempted to quit their own jobs to become their child’s manager and the kid legitimately becomes the breadwinner of the family and the ATM and it’s easy for the parents to run them into the ground even if they have good intentions.  

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

That’s the downside and how we get into problems in the first place.   Kids can only work a certain number of hours by law which is why a lot of tv show that focus on teens tend to hire older.  They hire 20-23 years olds to be 14& 15 years olds so they can work a 8 to 10 hour day.   Butf you need to hire a kid parents are often tempted to quit their own jobs to become their child’s manager and the kid legitimately becomes the breadwinner of the family and the ATM and it’s easy for the parents to run them into the ground even if they have good intentions.  

The parent being a kids manager seems like a massive conflict of interest. Since a kid can't legally enter into a contract, then being the manager and the guardian means you are entering into a contract with yourself. Now I know that the laws in California make it so that a manager can't take like a 90% cut, but beyond that how much better are they?

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Dani said:

That’s really not unusual just because the same sex dating pool for bisexuals is very small. That combined with other issues like bi-erasure are a big reason the majority of bisexuals end up in “straight” relationships. 

Back when I was in college I had a group of friends that were my ride or dies from about Sophomore year til ...well, now.  Anyway we were all  mostly African American and mostly hetero but a two people in our group was gay and one identified as bi.  Seriously we could have been great fodder for a tv show... but I digress...

Anyway one drunken game night we talked about what bisexual meant within the LGBTQ community (we didn't use that acronym back then) but it was an eye opener.  The prevailing attitude/belief  (and this was inclusive of the LGBTQ community) seemed to be that bi folks were just experimenting until they decided where they wanted to be.  Supposedly, for bi women, they were really straight.  So they'd end up with a male partner.  For bi men, they were actually gay so they'd also end up with a male partner.  It was the late 80s and we were teenagers, what the hell did we know? But looking back it is fascinating to think about that convo and to realize we weren't far wrong in perceptions if not reality.

Anyway, the first season of Grown-ish, the tv show gave a surprisingly nuanced view of their bi character, Nomi and this very idea about where and how bi persons were viewed.

• Useful 8
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

Back when I was in college I had a group of friends that were my ride or dies from about Sophomore year til ...well, now.  Anyway we were all  mostly African American and mostly hetero but a two people in our group was gay and one identified as bi.  Seriously we could have been great fodder for a tv show... but I digress...

Anyway one drunken game night we talked about what bisexual meant within the LGBTQ community (we didn't use that acronym back then) but it was an eye opener.  The prevailing attitude/belief  (and this was inclusive of the LGBTQ community) seemed to be that bi folks were just experimenting until they decided where they wanted to be.  Supposedly, for bi women, they were really straight.  So they'd end up with a male partner.  For bi men, they were actually gay so they'd also end up with a male partner.  It was the late 80s and we were teenagers, what the hell did we know? But looking back it is fascinating to think about that convo and to realize we weren't far wrong in perceptions if not reality.

Anyway, the first season of Grown-ish, the tv show gave a surprisingly nuanced view of their bi character, Nomi and this very idea about where and how bi persons were viewed.

Yes, LUG (lesbian until graduation) moniker and "it was just a phase" instead of a woman being bisexual.  Those have never really gone away.  And then 2 women hanging out together with their hands all over one another is labeled "gal pals."  Look how long people ignored Kristen Stewart being a lesbian.  There could be pictures of Megan Fox before her marriage with a girlfriend that were completely misinterpreted especially if the woman in question presents as femme as Megan.  

• Useful 4
  • Love 7
(edited)

This is why some people say they don't like labels when it comes to sexuality because once you identify as one thing, there can be assumptions about what that looks like in practice.

Not every bisexual person lives their bisexuality 50/50.  Some are attracted equally to men and women.  Some have a preference for one or the other.  Others might be bisexual when it comes to physical relationships but more heteroromantic when it comes to falling in love (or vice versa). 

As for the fact that all of Megan's relationships are with men--it's not that surprising since she has only had two public relationships in her adult life.  She started dating Brian Austin Green when she was 18 and, other than a few separations, has pretty much been with him until their most recent separation.  Soon after she entered into a relationship with Machine Gun Kelly.   Two dudes. It's not like she has dated a ton of people. 

It's also not the first time she has talked about her bisexuality.  When looking up when she and BAG started dating, I found an article where she mentioned it way back in 2009. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 2
  • Love 18