Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

57 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

She and Hillary Baldwin should get together and compare notes.

I am ashamed of how much money I would pay to watch that train wreck. 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 12
  • Love 2
On 11/21/2021 at 11:54 AM, Mabinogia said:

She'd probably tip the boot upside down to read the instructions hence managing to poor the water out of the boot, then post it on social media so that the world could comment on how adorably funny she is. 

Seeing your quote of my post, highlighting my glaring misspelling of "pour".  Always delightful in a post making fun of someone else.  🤦‍♀️

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • LOL 10
7 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

The self-righteous tone is a little too much for me. If this were an actual event based on a documentary about actual real people, it'd be one thing, but it's a t.v. show.

Thank you!  I was beginning to think I was even more ignorant of current popular culture than I thought I was!  I had very little idea what Squid Games was but thought it was fictional - then I started reading comments that made me think it was actually some kind of reality show following real people.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

The self-righteous tone is a little too much for me. If this were an actual event based on a documentary about actual real people, it'd be one thing, but it's a t.v. show. One that is basically the Hunger Games, but Korean. Which, btw, had people doing re-enactments of the Hunger Games using nerf darts and whatever.

Circling back to an earlier subject, I thought that's how this worked. You're not wrong about the self-righteous tone, but there is very much a cultural thing happening now where we over-evaluate entertainment for social significance. Teigen's an easy target, since we wouldn't even know this happened if she didn't practically live on Instagram, but this article is just about on the same page:

https://www.mic.com/culture/frasier-niles-hits-different  

Like, what's the point, if we don't hate rich people from a twenty year old show we're contributing to the destruction of society? Get hold of yourselves.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 10
20 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Seeing your quote of my post, highlighted my glaring misspelling of "pour".  Always delightful in a post making fun of someone else.  🤦‍♀️

This happens to me, too. The one time I got sarcastic when I brought up a phrase that one politician was known for, I made the exact same mistake that he did. I immediately followed with, "I can't believe I just said that."

Edited by Anela
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

https://www.mic.com/culture/frasier-niles-hits-different  

Like, what's the point, if we don't hate rich people from a twenty year old show we're contributing to the destruction of society? Get hold of yourselves.

I looked up the author of that article. The irony with this writer is that he is the 2021 version of Frasier.  He just doesn't see it. 

13 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Honestly, I get it, but come on. If we use the logic here, people shouldn't throw Great Gatsby theme parties because it would be glorifying the rich when the book was actually a scathing indictment of them, no one should dress up as Regina George for Halloween because that would be glorifying Mean Girls (or Cher from Clueless as she is basically a Mean Girl for most of Clueless), and hell, you shouldn't actually WATCH Squid Game because Netflix is making a killing off of the fictional suffering of the poor.

I was left confused about the outrage about this as well. 

• Love 9
On 11/21/2021 at 11:52 AM, merylinkid said:

It's so easy to NOT have a party based on people being murdered while trying to pay off debts.   But you know, it's popular so Chrissy must do it.   Then wonder why all the "haters" come out of the woodwork.

She and Hillary Baldwin should get together and compare notes.

I've seen youtubers and streamers doing their own versions of Squid Game (like Mr Beast, although I don't really pay attention to him). There is also a video game out called Crab Game. 

39 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

From the article: Frasier, by design, courted the white upper-middle-class, knowing they would laugh along.  Cool, I am white but until now had no idea that my liking for the show Frasier means I'm also upper middle-class.  Now if only my bank balance was in on this little nugget of information!

LOL, right? I'm about as far removed from Frasier and Niles' wealthy lifestyle as you can get, and have zero interest in wanting to be part of the snooty elite they always tried to join. Part of the fun of watching that show for me is how they poke fun at the snooty people Frasier and Niles always try to befriend, and how ridiculous their efforts, along with the rules and regulations of the places they want to join, are. So where do I fit into that analysis? 

Seriously, I enjoy analyzing, and reading analysis of, pop culture, and discussing how some of the themes and issues and topics involved apply to the real world and so on, I think that kind of conversation is fascinating and can also be necessary, considering some of the topics involved.

But yeah, at the same time...it's a TV sitcom, people, It doesn't always have to be that deep, either. And viewership and people's feelings about the topics and issues discussed within can be two very different things. 

• Love 19
22 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Seeing your quote of my post, highlighting my glaring misspelling of "pour".  Always delightful in a post making fun of someone else.  🤦‍♀️

What does it say about me that I didn't even notice? hahahahaha

• LOL 7
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:
16 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Honestly, I get it, but come on. If we use the logic here, people shouldn't throw Great Gatsby theme parties because it would be glorifying the rich when the book was actually a scathing indictment of them, no one should dress up as Regina George for Halloween because that would be glorifying Mean Girls (or Cher from Clueless as she is basically a Mean Girl for most of Clueless), and hell, you shouldn't actually WATCH Squid Game because Netflix is making a killing off of the fictional suffering of the poor.

I was left confused about the outrage about this as well. 

Maybe she's actually killing the guests who don't complete the games? I mean, I could see the outrage over that...depending on who her guests are of course. haha

• LOL 17
7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Is she just going to keep going until the next pregnancy kills her?  I'm glad she and the baby are healthy, but I'm not going to celebrate anyone churning out six kids in the midst of an overpopulation crisis, and I'm also going to be concerned when it's someone whose physical health has been jeopardized (she needs blood transfusions and gets infections) on top of the emotional damage of going through five miscarriages; continuing to get pregnant under those circumstances when she already has five, now six, kids makes me hope there's not something creepy going on in that marriage.

Honestly, I had mixed feelings reading the news too but was scared to share all my thoughts because everyone else was positive about the post and saying anything negative about the birth of a new, innocent baby can sound cold. 

I thought I was the only one who wasn't like yay sixth kid!!!!! I've felt overjoy for friends of mine who struggled getting pregnant and carrying a baby to term who finally had babies. Like you, of course I'm happy that the mom and baby are healthy, but I was surprised they tried for another. I could understand trying after miscarriages if you didn't have kids, but they had five. I also wasn't sure how much this woman's physical and mental health could take. You'd think if they want that many children they'd just adopt, which is something I would have applauded. 

• Love 24
4 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

You'd think if they want that many children they'd just adopt, which is something I would have applauded. 

Yes, this. Have the money to support a big family, if you have all this love to give, give it to some of the unfortunate, unwanted children who have been disposed of. We already have too many people on this planet. 

• Love 19
4 hours ago, Annber03 said:

But yeah, at the same time...it's a TV sitcom, people, It doesn't always have to be that deep, either. And viewership and people's feelings about the topics and issues discussed within can be two very different things. 

You mean...we are allowed to compartmentalize? 

Jokes aside, I do compartmentalize a lot.   It think that's just being human.  I wouldn't necessarily do a Squid Game party (not for any moral objections it just doesn't interest me) but I could see myself participating in or enjoying something along the lines of the same level of appropriateness (or lack there of.)  Getting all bent out of shape over something like this feels like stone throwing to me.  

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Still waiting for the brain transplant.  

Someone needs to tell Miss Teigan that the late Lucille Ball lost her eyebrows permanently when they got plucked out for an early 1930's movie role- but she DREW them on from that point on  yet still had a thriving career for decades about this (and even confessed that the one thing she'd want on a desert island was an eyebrow pencil).  Pencils seem less traumatic than implants. 

• Love 9

@Bastet and @RealHousewife, I hear you both. I think what makes it more understandable for me is that the doctor figured out *why* she miscarried the previous two times. I had never heard of a weakened cervix, and if that was the only barrier to a healthy pregnancy, then I can see why they chose to have another child. The problem was solved. They weren’t just blindly trying to have another child.

• Useful 8
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, PepSinger said:

I think what makes it more understandable for me is that the doctor figured out *why* she miscarried the previous two times.

Was that also the cause of the previous three miscarriages (she had five total)? 

To-term pregnancy and delivery is a lot to put a body through six times, even without such a troubled history.  And, of course, six kids are a lot to add to the population (especially in America, where we gobble up a disproportionate percentage of the world's natural resources).  It's always been her choice to make, obviously, and once she made this latest one I'm glad it ended well for her this time.  But I also hope she's done.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Was that also the cause of the previous three miscarriages (she had five total)? 

To-term pregnancy and delivery is a lot to put a body through six times, even without such a troubled history.  And, of course, six kids are a lot to add to the population (especially in America, where we gobble up a disproportionate percentage of the world's natural resources).  It's always been her choice to make, obviously, and once she made this latest one I'm glad it ended well for her this time.  But I also hope she's done.

According to James, that condition was the cause of the last two miscarriages, so we don’t know why she had the other three.

Personally, I wouldn’t want six kids. Three is my limit. Even though it’s their choice, I’m secretly hoping that this is their last biological child.

• Love 8

More people should look into gestational surrogacy. I know many people aren't fond of Kim Kardashian but she used it for her younger two children because she was told another pregnancy could kill her. For real, she could die. But society tells women they don't mean anything unless they carry and birth children because their only worth is in their uterus so they put their bodies through hell. Melissa Janet Winokur also used this method for her child after surviving cervical cancer.

Squid Game is fiction but from articles I've read the inequities it portrays in South Korean society are very real.

• Useful 7
  • Love 4
55 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

More people should look into gestational surrogacy. I know many people aren't fond of Kim Kardashian but she used it for her younger two children because she was told another pregnancy could kill her. For real, she could die. But society tells women they don't mean anything unless they carry and birth children because their only worth is in their uterus so they put their bodies through hell. Melissa Janet Winokur also used this method for her child after surviving cervical cancer.

Shannen Doherty can't have kids because of her cancer, and she seems to have made her peace with that. She also ruled out surrogacy/adoption because she doesn't want to leave a child to grow up without a mother and it's unlikely she'll live to see 60. She was quoted as saying something like, "Maybe I'm meant to mother in other ways" and that always stuck with me.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Useful 4
  • Love 13

While I'm most relieved  and grateful that Mrs. Der Beek evidently had a safe delivery and  a healthy baby (and I recognize it's entirely her and Mr. Der Beek's call re how many children they may have via their own loins and/or via adoption), I truly hope she is DONE with attempting to bear any more. It's not just her own body that's been put through the wringer via all these pregnancies but they're risking six children possibly growing up motherless via her possibly  compromised health. And, I concur with others in this thread that, due to there being many children out there without known and/or adequate bio parents, it may be worth them considering embracing one or more of them into their family should they truly want to parent more offspring. 

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Maybe she's actually killing the guests who don't complete the games? I mean, I could see the outrage over that...depending on who her guests are of course. haha

Back in 2013, there was a reality competition show called Whodunnit?. It was a murder mystery show & eliminated contestants were "murdered". They showed their bodies after the murder had been committed & the next episode was the remaining contestants solving their murder. Well, an amazing amount of viewers thought they were actually murdering the contestants, & twitter was abuzz with people wondering how ABC was getting away with this. The network had to run a disclaimer before the next episode explaining things. Twitter iz stoopid. 

Edited by GaT
  • LOL 17
13 hours ago, PepSinger said:

Congratulations to James Van Der Beek & his wife Kimberly on the birth of their son. I’m overjoyed for them, especially after they lost two pregnancies back to back.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWl9i_TP7yr/?utm_medium=copy_link

I'm just disappointed because James Van Der Beek being a family man with a bunch of kids is nothing like the version of himself he played on Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Blergh said:

Someone needs to tell Miss Teigan that the late Lucille Ball lost her eyebrows permanently when they got plucked out for an early 1930's movie role- but she DREW them on from that point on  yet still had a thriving career for decades about this (and even confessed that the one thing she'd want on a desert island was an eyebrow pencil).  Pencils seem less traumatic than implants. 

To be fair, Lucille Ball had talent.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I'm just disappointed because James Van Der Beek being a family man with a bunch of kids is nothing like the version of himself he played on Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23.

He is hilarious in that show.  And I never was a big fan of Dawson's creek. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, GaT said:

Well, an amazing amount of viewers thought they were actually murdering the contestants, & twitter was abuzz with people wondering how ABC was getting away with this. The network had to run a disclaimer before the next episode explaining things. Twitter iz stoopid. 

Maybe Twitter read Agatha Christie's Dead Man's Folly and wanted to make sure.

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I'm far from a fan of Miss Williams but, even so, I consider a loss of mobility and having dementia  sad and tragic news rather than something to snark at as though Miss Williams was still as fit as a fiddle and   seen getting a pie in the face! 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Blergh said:

Throw in a warning about my Great Aunt Betty, who shaved her eyebrows as a kid in the 50s because, well, nobody in the family has any idea why, but they never grew back either. 

• Love 2
On 11/22/2021 at 10:49 AM, SusannahM said:

Thank you!  I was beginning to think I was even more ignorant of current popular culture than I thought I was!  I had very little idea what Squid Games was but thought it was fictional - then I started reading comments that made me think it was actually some kind of reality show following real people.

Okay that is so funny because when I first read about this show I was like "AND THIS IS A REALITY SHOW?!?!?!?!??!?!?!"

(No, it's not.)

I understand that Chrissy gets a lot of unfounded hate but let me say this.  She says publicly that she HAS to post things online.  She was on the Kelly Clarkson show recently and Kelly asked her a completely unrelated question and she gave a long answer that didn't answer the question at all but said, I need to post things online. I don't feel normal unless I share things online.  I need that interaction.  😬

I mean, uh, if you do, then you get the bad with the good.  Unfortunately.  And people aren't even criticizing her, or her looks or something - they're criticizing her choices, which that, I get.  Sure, have the party, but posting it?  What did she think was going to happen?  Can I reiterate that thoughtful criticism is not cyber bullying.  People saying read the room, or maybe think about the optics?  Or criticisms of capitalism and the 1% are not cyber bullying.  It's criticizing upward, it's not punching down.  So....... I think the criticism is okay and she knows she's getting it.  She knows.  After all the criticism she got for saying Parasite was wonderful and having a million tweets respond "The movie was about you", she knows.

On 11/22/2021 at 3:13 AM, methodwriter85 said:

Save the outrage for Paula Deen having her Plantation themed weddings with waitstafff dressed up like slaves. This just doesn't meet that level, in my opinion. 

I know it's not at all on the same level but she does make her staff dress up like this for the IG clicks.

Part of what she's doing is flaunting her wealth on purpose because she knows it's part of her brand.  She does it on purpose because it's part of needing people to aspire to be her.  When she brags online that her husband mistakenly bought a $10,000 wine, she knows exactly what she is doing.

chrissy-teigen.jpg

• Love 8

It is undeniably fun to watch Frasier bumble his way through acquiring and flaunting these signifiers, because that striving in itself is desperate, and humor is often birthed within desperation and humiliation. The old and decaying chair of Frasier and Niles’ ex-cop father, Martin, sits smack dab in the middle of Frasier’s spotless living room. It’s is an ongoing issue for Frasier because it represents the one thing in his home that betrays his supposed blue-collar origins — putting aside what must’ve been a fairly sizable salary and pension for Martin as a Seattle police officer — a hint to esteemed visitors that Frasier’s privilege is all performance. [...] Personally, I find it much easier to find sympathy for and enjoy the presence of Niles, in part because of David Hyde Pierce’s incredibly pitched performance, and also because he is generally less contemptible and pathetic than his brother. Frasier, on the other hand, is routinely embarrassing, belittling, and just plain unpleasant, which made it easier for me to find a harshness to the show’s satire that may not actually be fully present. My disdain for the character may outweigh the show’s own.

This is getting off topic but that article is nonsensical. It's basically like, look how woke I am for seeing that Frasier (the character) is not a very nice person. Cool, did you have the same conclusion about Seinfeld? Of course it isn't as harsh as other comedies... it was a network sitcom created earlier than those shows. It is still making a critique. You're not special for noticing that. 

• Love 8

Ok I love Frasier and I haven't read the article but if anything it should be criticized for the casually accepted racism and misogyny, and not to mention absolutely glorifying Martin for being a cop and Martin flaunting his cop privilege and breaking laws whenever it suited him.  Maybe the article went there but I kind of don't want to read it because I think it will make me mad.  😄

Just from that article, I don't think the writer understood Frasier.  Niles was wealthier and MORE snobbish than Frasier.  That was the whole point of his character.  That's how he was introduced.  But it's more acceptable because they like DHP as an actor more than Kelsey?  Ok 🙄

Also, "blue collar origins"?  What does that even mean?  Sure Martin was a cop but he was a detective and their mother was a scientist and a Professor.  🙄

Per Wikipedia

Hester was a research psychiatrist and met Martin, a cop, in 1952[4]

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8
18 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

She was quoted as saying something like, "Maybe I'm meant to mother in other ways" and that always stuck with me.

I like that mindset a lot. Just because a woman can't carry a child doesn't mean she can't be a mother. There are many ways one can raise and nurture the next generation. I was never really a fan of hers, nor did I hate her as some do, but I certainly respect her being dealt a shitty hand and understanding that it doesn't have to define her. 

Edited to add: Chrissy Teigen may be the single most pathetically desperate person I have ever witnessed. That level of desperate need for attention should be looked at by a professional. That's not healthy. 

Edited by Mabinogia
  • LOL 1
  • Love 20
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I mean, uh, if you do, then you get the bad with the good.  Unfortunately.  And people aren't even criticizing her, or her looks or something - they're criticizing her choices, which that, I get.  Sure, have the party, but posting it?  What did she think was going to happen?  Can I reiterate that thoughtful criticism is not cyber bullying.  People saying read the room, or maybe think about the optics?  Or criticisms of capitalism and the 1% are not cyber bullying.  It's criticizing upward, it's not punching down.  So....... I think the criticism is okay and she knows she's getting it.  She knows. 

I am not trying to defend Chrissy because she rents no space in my head.  I just don't like hypocrisy.  Obviously I'm not in the minds of every single tweeter but I'd wager a healthy amount that the majority of those commenting aren't sincerely upset by her posts about her party.  Like much online furor, it's only an opportunity to be seen being upset and to use it as an excuse to prove that the tweeter is somehow better than.  Very few care that she actually learns anything from it.  Like I said earlier, it just feels like stone throwing.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 8
54 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Edited to add: Chrissy Teigen may be the single most pathetically desperate person I have ever witnessed. That level of desperate need for attention should be looked at by a professional. That's not healthy. 

I also wonder about her husband.  Maybe he needs therapy, too.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Okay that is so funny because when I first read about this show I was like "AND THIS IS A REALITY SHOW?!?!?!?!??!?!?!"

(No, it's not.)

I understand that Chrissy gets a lot of unfounded hate but let me say this.  She says publicly that she HAS to post things online.  She was on the Kelly Clarkson show recently and Kelly asked her a completely unrelated question and she gave a long answer that didn't answer the question at all but said, I need to post things online. I don't feel normal unless I share things online.  I need that interaction.  😬

I mean, uh, if you do, then you get the bad with the good.  Unfortunately.  And people aren't even criticizing her, or her looks or something - they're criticizing her choices, which that, I get.  Sure, have the party, but posting it?  What did she think was going to happen?  Can I reiterate that thoughtful criticism is not cyber bullying.  People saying read the room, or maybe think about the optics?  Or criticisms of capitalism and the 1% are not cyber bullying.  It's criticizing upward, it's not punching down.  So....... I think the criticism is okay and she knows she's getting it.  She knows.  After all the criticism she got for saying Parasite was wonderful and having a million tweets respond "The movie was about you", she knows.

I know it's not at all on the same level but she does make her staff dress up like this for the IG clicks.

Part of what she's doing is flaunting her wealth on purpose because she knows it's part of her brand.  She does it on purpose because it's part of needing people to aspire to be her.  When she brags online that her husband mistakenly bought a $10,000 wine, she knows exactly what she is doing.

chrissy-teigen.jpg

I understand what you're getting at, but I also think that she had every right to punch back at Buzzfeed. She followed up their criticisms with things that they had been held somewhat accountable for (and weren't acknowledging as they bashed her). 

I had to stop watching The Walking Dead, because I don't like to hate-follow. I don't hate-follow celebrities, I end up snoozing things/people that bug me. I follow Chrissy on instagram, and if I'm in a mood, I won't watch her stories. I followed too many people in the past year, as it is, so I don't see everything. Sometimes I wonder what I would do, if I had that much money. I've spent a lot of time online, when isolated, because it's some sort of connection, but I can't imagine being surrounded by family and friends, having so much money that I could be doing whatever I wanted, and choosing to keep engaging, but I'll never get to find out if I would. :) it's like a different concentrated energy, when you're actually participating, versus reading or watching. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Anela said:

I understand what you're getting at, but I also think that she had every right to punch back at Buzzfeed. She followed up their criticisms with things that they had been held somewhat accountable for (and weren't acknowledging as they bashed her). 

Oh I think she does too.  I hate Buzzfeed. I think they're terrible.  And I don't even hate Chrissy at all.  

A media conglomerate trashing a celebrity absolutely is punching down.  I think it's pathetic that they take other people's content and post it as if its their own.  I have them blocked on all social media because I think it's a trash publication.

I mean some people tweeting online about her.  That's not punching down to me.  if they're going to criticize her having this party, I understand it.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I mean some people tweeting online about her.  That's not punching down to me.  if they're going to criticize her having this party, I understand it.

What's the difference between punching down and taking shots at an easy target? I'm asking because I don't know. I said upthread that Teigen's easy pickings because she apparently lives eighty percent of her life for the consumption of her Instagram followers, which is how this kerfuffle started to begin with. The less complicated thing would have been for her to have this party and not post pictures on her social media account, but from what I'm gathering here she's almost physically incapable of doing that. The even easier thing would have been for there to be no party at all, but the party itself is not really the issue, IMO. It's that she wants everyone looking at her all the time, just not in any kind of negative way.

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

It's that she wants everyone looking at her all the time, just not in any kind of negative way.

Well personally I agree with this.  And it's an impossible desire.  People can't help but have opinions on what they see.  Most people in a pandemic are sitting home and reading social media.  She is uber wealthy and kind of does whatever the fuck she wants.  Hence...... people will comment.  And it won't all be sycophantic.  

Think of people like Paul Rudd and Keanu Reeves.  They reveal so little of their personal lives, hence, usually what people say about them is positive.  They can project whatever fantasy and adoration onto them because they conduct themselves pretty gracefully in the media.

Chrissy is constantly posting her "Yeah, I'm enormously rich, so what?  You're not allowed to say anything" and it's like....... hmmm.  Not how that works.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

It's that she wants everyone looking at her all the time, just not in any kind of negative way.

1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Well personally I agree with this.  And it's an impossible desire.  People can't help but have opinions on what they see.  Most people in a pandemic are sitting home and reading social media.  She is uber wealthy and kind of does whatever the fuck she wants.  Hence...... people will comment.  And it won't all be sycophantic.  

Agree with this. The nicest, most unproblematic person in the world would still get criticism if they were on social media nonstop. 

• Love 9