Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

WaPo article about Astroworld says there were 50,000 attendees and a lawyer expects enough lawsuits will be filed to have it become a class action case.

She added that “there is a potential for the liability to be astronomical.”

Also, the security contractor Contemporary Services Corp. has a history of being negligent, and they were blaming the attendees even before anyone got killed. Their employees aren't professionals, they are hired for the event and paid $10-$13 an hour with minimal training.

Jason Huckabay, who is described in his LinkedIn profile as a Houston-based security director for CSC, said in public Facebook posts that he oversaw a security team at the event. On Friday, Huckabay posted criticisms of festival attendees even as the event was in progress.

The day after the event, Huckabay said in another Facebook post it was “sad that all those kids inside died and others are still in the hospital because this generation has no value in other peoples lives.” He said his guards had spent 10-hour shifts trying to stop “waves of dumba---s breaking down fences trying to rush in,” adding: “A lot of these idiots were from 15-22 in age.”...

CSC is currently defending itself against multiple lawsuits filed by attendees of other concerts and sports events who allege they were injured due to negligence or rough treatment by security guards working for the firm, a review of court records shows. CSC has denied wrongdoing.

Here's a Deadspin article from 2016 detailing many of the lawsuits against the company up to that time.

• Useful 7
  • Love 1

Help me understand the concert issue. I get that the performers may have encouraged people to push forward, but why is there no blame for people who actually did push forward and crush or trample other people? How do they not also bear responsibility? Is there something that relieves them of the normal human ability to use judgment? I genuinely don't understand why its all the venue/performers' faults?

• Love 11
14 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

Help me understand the concert issue. I get that the performers may have encouraged people to push forward, but why is there no blame for people who actually did push forward and crush or trample other people? How do they not also bear responsibility? Is there something that relieves them of the normal human ability to use judgment? I genuinely don't understand why its all the venue/performers' faults?

They do bear responsibility. From what I understand, though, this is not the first time Scott has pulled this kind of thing, it's just that no one died before. It's comparable, IMO, to the situation with Rust, where it wasn't just one screw-up that led to disaster, it was a whole lot of screw ups; people who keep booking him knowing he stirs shit up onstage, poorly trained security, probably alcohol involved for the concert goers. But if he was, as someone said upthread, yelling the equivalent of fire in a crowded theater, that was the main factor in this terrible incident.

• Useful 4
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The press made it seem like he wasn't going to continue because of a vaccine mandate.  He wanted to change that perception of him.

But if he doesn't have the vaccine than the press is right.

He can talk about having covid and being careful all he wants but if he doesn't have a vaccine than he doesn't have a vaccine.

• Love 16

Also, from a sheer practical standpoint, it's a lot easier to hold the people liable who were organizers and did a shit job of it rather than however many nameless people stampeded. I'm not sure they could verify conclusively who among the crowd pushed forward/trampled people. They can verify who attached their name to the whole ill-conceived event. 

And really, at a certain point, in a situation like that, if you're caught in the middle of that and don't go with the flow, you're the next one getting trampled too. The people who listened to Scott and started the push forward are idiots and do hold some responsibility, but he and the other organizers are more to blame, imo, and more easily held responsible. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 13
49 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

It’s really hard to assign responsibility within the crowd. I’ve gotten stuck in large crowds and there is a point where you are just being moved by the crowd with zero clue what is happening. I did see one report by a person in the crowd who passed out and was crowd surfed out. Others talked about trying to scream for help during breaks in the music. So there were people within the crowd who were trying to help.

In this situation I think there is almost no focus on the responsibility of the crowd because the show was so poorly managed there was likely to be a problem no matter what. For example they had two stages set up which should have split the crowd and keeping the crowd levels manageable. But for Travis Scott’s performance no one was scheduled on the second stage causing everyone to flood to one area apparently with no attempt to control capacity. 

Edited by Guest

I thought this was supposed to be Chris Evans.

I normally don't think People's Sexiest Man Alive is sexy but I'm down with this choice if only for the funny interviews (go to People for that).  And pictures that look like they could have been taken any time in the past 30 years.  Do we really know this photo shoot is new?

Paul Rudd is Sexiest Man Alive for 2021.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • LOL 1
  • Love 21
On 11/5/2021 at 9:09 AM, Shannon L. said:

I am hearing that it's Paul Rudd?

https://people.com/movies/paul-rudd-people-sexiest-man-alive-2021/

Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 1.24.39 AM.png

Okay yeah, and People tweeted it out themselves:

I wouldn't call him sexiest but he's very handsome and he could definitely win Mr. Congeniality in Hollywood.  When I met him he was very nice, that was also 10 years ago so who knows.

I can't believe Paul is 52!  He's actually one of the oldest Sexiest Men Alive they've ever awarded.  LOL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_(magazine)#Sexiest_Man_Alive

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 15
16 minutes ago, GaT said:

How strange, I hear it was Chris Evans too, how did that rumor get started?

Page Six tried scooping People and failed miserably. So much for their “sources”. 

1 minute ago, Enigma X said:

I am told that I am made different when it comes to things like this though.

LOL, I get that, too, yeah. My tastes tend to be a little different from those of my friends :D. Or my sister, for that matter. My mom agrees with me on some of my crushes, though, so...yay :p?

I don't have a thing for Rudd, myself, but I can totally see why others do, so I'm good with this pick. He seems like a really cool guy from all I've seen and heard about him. 

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

Paul Rudd is helluva sexy to me. I am told that I am made different when it comes to things like this though.

I have been told I can have odd taste in men, too, but I think Paul Rudd is a lot more handsome than Chris Evans, though Rudd's not someone I'm particularly taken with on his own beyond he seems like a nice guy who's aged very well. LOL I really like Chris Evans's personality--he has a lot of charisma, is very talented, and seems like a good guy--but his looks do nothing for me. I mean, he's certainly not an unattractive man and I don't even particularly have a set type that he's not, but he's just there for me. I have a lot of friends who think he's super dreamy, though. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 13
3 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

My mom agrees with me on some of my crushes, though, so...yay :p?

LOL My mom and I don't get along with each other, so it's not like this is something we compare notes on, but I remember the one and only conversation we had along those lines. She informed me she thought Leo was super hot in Titanic. And 9-year-old me was confused and like "Naw, Billy Zane's where it's at." 😂 It's basically the model for every confused "Wait, you think he's attractive--you think he's not?" debate over various actors and celebrities that I've had with many friends over years. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Zella said:

LOL My mom and I don't get along with each other, so it's not like this is something we compare notes on, but I remember the one and only conversation we had along those lines. She informed me she thought Leo was super hot in Titanic. And 9-year-old me was confused and like "Naw, Billy Zane's where it's at." 😂 It's basically the model for every confused "Wait, you think he's attractive--you think he's not?" debate over various actors and celebrities that I've had with many friends over years. 

Ha! I love this. I've been in a few conversations like that over the years. 

But in your particular debate, I'm with you on Zane - his character was an asshole, so no go with the character, but the actor himself? Yeah. I get it. 

Ultimately, though, I was drawn to Victor Garber in that movie, myself...:D. 

• Love 10
Just now, Annber03 said:

Ha! I love this. I've been in a few conversations like that over the years. 

But in your particular debate, I'm with you on Zane - his character was an asshole, so no go with the character, but the actor himself? Yeah. I get it. 

Victor Garber was very dashing in Titanic! He's a very solid choice. :)

And yes Cal was a complete asshole. I've been a Billy Zane fan for a long time, despite the assorted assholes (Titanic) and psychos (Dead Calm) in his resume. 

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Zella said:

Victor Garber was very dashing in Titanic! He's a very solid choice. :)

And yes Cal was a complete asshole. I've been a Billy Zane fan for a long time, despite the assorted assholes (Titanic) and psychos (Dead Calm) in his resume. 

Garber's one of those people I'm always happy to see pop up somewhere. He just has this very likeable, gentle presence about him :).

I'm not familiar with Zane's work in general, may have to check out some more of his stuff sometime. I guess when you're good at playing a certain type of character, you just gotta roll with it, huh :p? 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I normally don't think People's Sexiest Man Alive is sexy but I'm down with this choice if only for the funny interviews (go to People for that).  And pictures that look like they could have been taken any time in the past 30 years.  Do we really know this photo shoot is new?

I think he's a good choice. He's handsome, seems like he's a nice person, doesn't age, not controversial, etc. 

I think they normally pick good-looking guys even if they aren't my first choice. I remember Chris Hemsworth being one I really agreed with-gorgeous face and sick body on that guy. The one I didn't get was Blake Shelton from a few years ago. He's an average-looking man who's homophobic and racist. 

• Love 15

I know he only really got famous later, but Paul Rudd hasn't been in a lot of things I watched so I mostly know him as Phoebe's boyfriend Mike on Friends which was a long time ago. I didn't think of him as sexiest man material but I am a straight man so probably not the best person to make that judgement.

Then again, I often see women referred to as hot by many men where I don't see it. Or the other way around where I think a woman is hot when that opinion doesn't seem very widespread. So maybe I'm also just one of those people with unconventional opinions about attractiveness.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I wouldn't call him sexiest but he's very handsome and he could definitely win Mr. Congeniality in Hollywood.  When I met him he was very nice, that was also 10 years ago so who knows.

I can't believe Paul is 52!  He's actually one of the oldest Sexiest Men Alive they've ever awarded.  LOL.

Huh. I adore Paul Rudd. So, again, as my daughter would say "Hell, yeah". 

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 10
9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

LOL.  So much for Page Six "sources." 

9 hours ago, GaT said:

How strange, I heard it was Chris Evans too, how did that rumor get started?

When it comes to known gossip rags, always remember the sage advice The Professor gave Mary Ann in a dream sequence on Gilligan's Island: "Don't believe everything you hear, girlie!"

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 8
On 11/8/2021 at 9:28 AM, Leeds said:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/06/us/houston-astroworld-festival/index.html

I'm old and out of touch so have never heard of him or this event, but the news that eight people were crushed to death at a concert featuring rapper Travis Scott is horrifying.

When I hear about tragic events like this my mind immediately goes to the Hillsborough disaster. Just awful that crushing to death is still something to worry about at events like this.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Obviously that rumor was wrong.  I'm fine with Paul Rudd.  He may not be the sexiest man I've ever seen, but I do think he is sexy and his personality has a lot to do with it.

• Love 12
18 hours ago, Ailianna said:

Because the venue and the management company producing the event had a responsibility to have good crowd control measures in place and they didn't.

Crowds tend to function in at least semi-predictable ways and it's up to the people who make the arrangements for events to account for them.  Failing to do even the minimum regarding crowd control measures makes a venue and event management liable.  Actively encouraging fans to push towards the stage can make an artist liable as well.

• Love 15
14 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Like Tim Daly and Rufus Sewell, he must have a really ugly portrait in the attic.

12 hours ago, Zella said:

He is very good at playing them.  And, to my knowledge, has never given a bad performance no matter how bad the movie might be.

2 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

When I hear about tragic events like this my mind immediately goes to the Hillsborough disaster. Just awful that crushing to death is still something to worry about at events like this.

That's my touchstone for tragedies like this.  Just a massive cock-up in crowd control.  At least these families aren't likely to be subjected to the decades of bullshit that the families of the 96 had to deal with.

• Love 14
On 11/10/2021 at 2:53 PM, proserpina65 said:

At least these families aren't likely to be subjected to the decades of bullshit that the families of the 96 had to deal with.

A reminder of what a POS The Sun "newspaper" was, is, and most likely always will be.    

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 9
15 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

To paraphrase David Letterman- "Did they even look at my application " ?? :)

• LOL 12

Do not get me wrong, Paul Rudd is an excellent choice, but these choices are often set up by publicity folks - and Paul is in the upcoming Ghostbusters sequel. Not that I can even recall the last time I opened a People Magazine, but I would have been totally fine with either Paul or Chris Evans. Both come across and genuinely good people who also happen to be easy on my eyes.

• Love 18
16 hours ago, Annber03 said:

You want to talk about a really nice person - that's Victor.  He's one of the most wonderful people I've even had the pleasure of knowing.  

And he's good looking!

• Love 19
6 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

You want to talk about a really nice person - that's Victor.  He's one of the most wonderful people I've even had the pleasure of knowing.  

And he's good looking!

Aw, that's great, lucky you! Does not surprise me, but I'm glad to hear that anyway :). 

• Love 9

What's always amazed me about Paul Rudd is that he seems to have chemistry with every single co-star he works with. I haven't seen all of his movies, but of the ones I've seen, I've never not bought into the on screen romance. He's attractive,  he seems like a really good guy, he's funny....that's sexy to me.

• Love 22
4 hours ago, RunningMarket said:

Do not get me wrong, Paul Rudd is an excellent choice, but these choices are often set up by publicity folks - and Paul is in the upcoming Ghostbusters sequel. Not that I can even recall the last time I opened a People Magazine, but I would have been totally fine with either Paul or Chris Evans. Both come across and genuinely good people who also happen to be easy on my eyes.

True! It's the same with most beautiful. Not gonna name names, but sometimes I find the women very ordinary looking. People like Angelina Jolie and Michelle Pfeiffer are the exception. 

• Love 4

First lawsuit filed over Rust. Surprisingly, not the widower.

The head of lighting on the film "Rust" filed a lawsuit Wednesday over Alec Baldwin's fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the New Mexico set of the Western, alleging negligence that caused him "severe emotional distress" that will haunt him forever.

Serge Svetnoy said in the suit that the bullet that killed his close friend Hutchins, narrowly missed him, and he held her head as she died.....

The lawsuit filed in Los Angeles Superior Court names nearly two dozen defendants associated with the film including Baldwin, who was both star and a producer; David Halls, the assistant director who handed Baldwin the gun; and Hannah Gutierrez Reed, who was in charge of weapons on the set.

• Useful 9
7 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

The affidavit is scary.   Guns left in the dirt days earlier.   Just all around a general, "ehh, safety schmafety" attitude towards weapons.   And of course, the armorer is STILL claiming sabotage.   Uh, you were responsible for knowing who had the guns and where they were and what they were loaded with.   If sabotage happened, and that's only for the sake of argument here, it happened on your watch.   So either, you weren't securing the weapons properly OR you are lying.   Neither one is helpful.

15 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

At least these families aren't likely to be subjected to the decades of bullshit that the families of the 96 had to deal with.

Based on the police BS they have ALREADY had to backtrack, I wouldn't count on it.

We made need a separate thread for Hollywood lawsuits.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

What's so sad is that the poor cinematographer Mrs. Hutchins who lost her life had earlier opted to side with the production company to the end and was sad that other crew members were opting to try to call them on their lack of safety measures! 

Edited by Blergh
On 11/10/2021 at 2:52 AM, Annber03 said:

I thought I was the only one! He was my hot pic on that movie. 

I also preferred Goeffrey Rush's Barbossa to Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow in the Pirates movies. 

I do prefer Chris Evans to Paul Rudd though. Paul's a fine enough "every man" but Chris does it for me. Funnily enough, not as Captain America. I never actually found him sexy until I saw him in Knives Out. the man can rock a sweater like nobody else. lol

• LOL 8
  • Love 6
On 11/10/2021 at 1:47 AM, Zella said:

My friend has always loved Billy Zane! 

• Love 8
On 11/10/2021 at 1:47 AM, Zella said:

9-year-old you had some good taste! I didn't appreciate Billy until years later. 

7aaf5fb34ea025c2f0a885f46e5ec232.jpg

• Love 10

Like Tim Daly and Rufus Sewell, he must have a really ugly portrait in the attic.

I do think some celebs just age really well. But I've looked at them all differently, especially the guys, since reading a comment somewhere mocking people who don't think they get any work done. The smart ones just keep it subtle was the gist of it. 

Do not get me wrong, Paul Rudd is an excellent choice, but these choices are often set up by publicity folks - and Paul is in the upcoming Ghostbusters sequel. 

Ohhh... that makes more sense than me thinking they just wanted promo for Ant Man. 😂

Add me to the roster of the Billy Zane appreciation society.

Edited by aradia22
  • Love 11
On 11/10/2021 at 8:29 PM, RunningMarket said:

Do not get me wrong, Paul Rudd is an excellent choice, but these choices are often set up by publicity folks -

People generally have a list of popular people that their 'people' suggest and then the editors take it down to a smaller list. After that they see if who they choose is willing to do the shoot. 

I can't remember who but I think it's Ryan Gosling they have been trying to get for years but he won't do it.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5