Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, GaT said:

That makes it Lana's story too.

Does that make it Michael's, though? What was she expecting him to say? If he got along with Kirk growing up or not, I can see where he wouldn't want to engage on that particular subject. Unless he writes his own book one day, we'll probably never know what he knew or if he even knew anything.

• Love 10
12 minutes ago, GaT said:

We have no idea if or how Natalie's rape affected her sister & her family. It sounds like her mother helped set her up for it. I would think that would change the relationship for not just Natalie, but for Lana too. Having a crime victim, especially one that has to be kept secret, in your close family affects everyone. That makes it Lana's story too.

Then go to a shrink like the rest of us do. There are a myriad of ways to work through trauma that don't involve writing a book for money.

• Love 22
27 minutes ago, GaT said:

We have no idea if or how Natalie's rape affected her sister & her family. It sounds like her mother helped set her up for it. I would think that would change the relationship for not just Natalie, but for Lana too. Having a crime victim, especially one that has to be kept secret, in your close family affects everyone. That makes it Lana's story too.

All Lana is thinking of is money. She's hurting her nieces and the Douglas family to no other end but bucks.

• Love 15
On 11/4/2021 at 7:37 PM, Rootbeer said:

The NFL provides free transportation to any player who has had too much to drink and wants a ride.  All he had to do was call.  It would've been free.  The number of really bad decisions made by this guy in just a few hours' time is really mind boggling.  He also had a loaded gun on the floor of his car at the time of the crash.

Got to love 'Murica.

On 11/4/2021 at 10:31 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Even The Rock agrees now......

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/dwayne-johnson-gun-safety-movies-halyna-hutchins-death-rust-1235104627/

Dwayne Johnson Pledges to Stop Using Real Guns on His Productions, Following ‘Rust’ Tragedy (EXCLUSIVE)

I find it unfathomable that a "real gun" would ever be used.

• Love 9
18 hours ago, GaT said:

The thing I keep thinking though is it really wasn't a secret.  Obviously Natalie Wood never told anyone in authority about it but she did tell people and not just a sister who was, 6 or 8? at the time.  I'm having a little difficulty accepting that what happened to Natalie Wood was an enduring trauma for her much younger sister.

One thing I am wondering about, for those more knowledgeable about Natalie Wood than I am: (1) she already had a career, she had been a child actress and was making a movie at the time this happened so why did her mother think she even needed to have Douglas's influence? and (2) did he ever actually do anything to help her in her career?   

Edited by SusannahM
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

The thing I keep thinking though is it really wasn't a secret.  Obviously Natalie Wood never told anyone in authority about it but she did tell people and not just a sister who was, 6 or 8? at the time.  I'm having a little difficulty accepting that what happened to Natalie Wood was an enduring trauma for her much younger sister.   

I doubt Lana was told at the time. More likely as she got older and started working Natalie would have warned her to be cautious about similar situations.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

Hopefully he learned from stating what he did about his thoughts on the cause of what he  first called throat cancer which he later said was really cancer of the tongue. If it affected his tongue it makes what he originally said about the suspected cause sound even more bizarre.

I have not heard this and now I am curious what he said. Could you please share? 

4 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I have not heard this and now I am curious what he said. Could you please share? 

He said that his throat cancer was a result of contracting HPV during oral sex. HPV is a cause of oral cancer but so is smoking and drinking which he had a history of. 

6 hours ago, Jaded said:

If it affected his tongue it makes what he originally said about the suspected cause sound even more bizarre.

Why? HPV can cause tongue cancer. 

17 minutes ago, Dani said:

He said that his throat cancer was a result of contracting HPV during oral sex. HPV is a cause of oral cancer but so is smoking and drinking which he had a history of. 

Thank you. I thought for a minute it might be something like that, but it seemed too wild to me somehow. And I didn't know that HPV can actually cause throat cancer.

• Useful 2
5 hours ago, Dani said:

I presume his tumor was tested and was positive for HPV which is why he talked about it. Testing for HPV would be part of the evaluation in the diagnosis of cancer in a situation like his.  HPV testing is a part of routine screening of the cervix in women over age 30 along with the Pap smear for the same reason.  

As I recall, Michael Douglas spoke about it at least in part to make the public more aware of this particular risk of HPV viral infections.  As we've seen in this thread, a lot of people do not realize that HPV can cause oral cancers, too.  Another good reason for everyone to get vaccinated against HPV,

BTW, HPV positive women who smoke are more likely to develop cervical cancer than HPV positive women who don't;  I expect that oral cancers are higher in smokers with HPV than those who don't smoke.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Useful 13
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

I was in the same boat as @JustHereForFood...😐

From what I remember people weren't happy with how Michael said he got it not that he couldn't have caught it that way.

Plenty of people thought it was he was making things up rather than taking responsibility for his own actions.  

I just don’t understand how it being tongue cancer rather than throat cancer makes what he said sound more bizarre. Throat and tongue cancer are closely related. 

42 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

I presume his tumor was tested and was positive for HPV which is why he talked about it. Testing for HPV would be part of the evaluation in the diagnosis of cancer in a situation like his.  HPV testing is a part of routine screening of the cervix in women over age 30 along with the Pap smear for the same reason.  

As I recall, Michael Douglas spoke about it at least in part to make the public more aware of this particular risk of HPV viral infections. 

He does have a oral cancer foundation but he didn’t speak about it for education. A reporter had asked him if his cancer made him regret smoking and drinking and he said no because because his was caused by oral sex. He later said that he regretted making that statement because of the impact of Catherine and her family. 

5 hours ago, Dani said:

I just don’t understand how it being tongue cancer rather than throat cancer makes what he said sound more bizarre. Throat and tongue cancer are closely related. 

I was puzzled as well.  For a straight man, if his risk factor was performing oral sex, it seems like it should be the other way around.  Not that there's anything wrong with that...

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Dani said:

Just forget I said anything. The original comments he made were almost or over 10 years ago. I was dumb saying what I did. You were right. I was wrong. I don't feel like belaboring the point anymore and edited the original post of mine that started all of this to reflect that. 

• Love 3
On 11/8/2021 at 7:54 AM, BlackberryJam said:

Crowd surge just means that everyone kept pushing to get closer to the stage. Just...people wanting to get close to the performer. And eight people died.

I have a family member who regularly goes to RollingLoud and has told me about being sore from being pressed up against a metal barricade unable to move for the entire day. It’s terrifying to think how close they come to tragedy at every one of these shows. I really hope this leads to some changes since these large festivals are now the norm and happening most weekends. 

Edited by Guest
On 11/5/2021 at 1:25 PM, Dani said:

Evangelical. 

Yes, that's the word I was searching for.

On 11/5/2021 at 5:59 PM, NowVoyager said:

chris-evans070_-1.thumb.jpg.eb94111c333028ba7d1cb6766648043f.jpg

Besides being a cutie-pie, what I think I know about Chris Evans is that he plays the piano & said he's looking for a woman who's independent, whose life won't revolve around him. So, he's sensitive & supports strong women. 

My favorite Chris Evan's Moment Of Life!:

Mmm! *swoon!* 😊

He doesn't really do anything for me, but he does sound like he's a pretty good person, which is always a great thing.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, bobalina said:

After The Who I thought they stopped this kind of free for all.

No. In fact even Cincinnati, where The Who concert tragedy happened, has repealed the unassigned seating ban enacted to prevent it from happening again. 

It's been quite a while since I have went to a concert but when I did go I always got actual seats. Never once did I want floor seats.  I wasn't even high school yet when the Who concert tragedy happened but it made an impression on me.  

• Love 12
47 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

It's been quite a while since I have went to a concert but when I did go I always got actual seats. Never once did I want floor seats.  I wasn't even high school yet when the Who concert tragedy happened but it made an impression on me.  

I've had floor seats but they were assigned.  I've never been to concert with festival seating where I've been on the floor/field.  I'd never be comfortable with that.

I'm shocked at the concert went on for 45 minutes or so after they realized there was a problem.  Someone, either security or the promoter or Travis Scott himself, should've shut it down as soon as they noticed something going on at the front.  And Scott did notice because there's video of him commenting on the activity, although he doesn't seem to know how serious it is at that point.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 5

https://consequence.net/2021/11/travis-scott-reckless-behavior-concerts/2/

I don't know Travis Scott, except that his baby mama is Kylie Jenner of the Kardashian family. Supposedly he has a history of inciting ant-social behavior at his concerts. He calls it "raging." This includes encouraging fans to jump the security gates, which happened here: there's video of hundreds of people pouring in with a couple security guards and a couple police officers on horseback powerless to stop them. Years ago, he encouraged fans to jump from a high distance; one young man was pushed and remains partially paralyzed to this day. He's been charged with disorderly conduct at 2 previous concerts.

• Useful 7
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, NowVoyager said:

https://consequence.net/2021/11/travis-scott-reckless-behavior-concerts/2/

I don't know Travis Scott, except that his baby mama is Kylie Jenner of the Kardashian family. Supposedly he has a history of inciting ant-social behavior at his concerts. He calls it "raging." This includes encouraging fans to jump the security gates, which happened here: there's video of hundreds of people pouring in with a couple security guards and a couple police officers on horseback powerless to stop them. Years ago, he encouraged fans to jump from a high distance; one young man was pushed and remains partially paralyzed to this day. He's been charged with disorderly conduct at 2 previous concerts.

WTF....what a tool.

• Love 21

It's been announced that Scott is paying for the funerals, providing mental health counseling to those who attended and refunding 100% of the ticket price for the entire audience. Not enough but a good start.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

Another ‘Rust’ Tragedy: Crew Member Bitten By Venomous Spider, May Lose Arm

WTF? This production really is cursed. I had a colleague in grad school who was bitten by a brown recluse and ended up in the hospital. He didn't loose a limb, but did have to have necrotic tissue removed.

I also remember The Who concert.

Produced one of the finest episodes of WKRP in Cincinnati.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Vermicious Knid said:

WTF? This production really is cursed. I had a colleague in grad school who was bitten by a brown recluse and ended up in the hospital. He didn't loose a limb, but did have to have necrotic tissue removed.

Produced one of the finest episodes of WKRP in Cincinnati.

I'm sorry about your friend and glad it worked out.

WKRP is the reason I remember the Who tragedy. And why I know turkeys cannot fly🤣

• LOL 3
  • Love 11
5 hours ago, bobalina said:

It's been announced that Scott is trying to avoid lawsuits by paying for the funerals, providing mental health counseling to those who attended and refunding 100% of the ticket price for the entire audience. Not enough but a good start.

FTFY.

• Love 14
18 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I'm old enough to remember the Cincinnati Who concert tragedy.  

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but  I'm old enough to remember a fan being killed at a David Cassidy concert.  It's not like this is a new phenomenon.

12 hours ago, bobalina said:

It's been announced that Scott is paying for the funerals, providing mental health counseling to those who attended and refunding 100% of the ticket price for the entire audience. Not enough but a good start.

The lawsuits are already being filed, it's going to cost him a lot more than that. There is a 9 year old in a coma.

Scott has pled guilty twice in the past for inciting crowds to surge towards the stage.

I, too, remember the Who Concert and that in the aftermath, there were laws against what was called 'festival seating'.  I didn't know those laws had been struck down over the years.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

The lawsuits are already being filed, it's going to cost him a lot more than that. There is a 9 year old in a coma.

Scott has pled guilty twice in the past for inciting crowds to surge towards the stage.

I, too, remember the Who Concert and that in the aftermath, there were laws against what was called 'festival seating'.  I didn't know those laws had been struck down over the years.

WHY was he allowed to keep doing the literal equivalent of yelling fire in a crowded theater after ALREADY having had  performances that caused serious injuries to patrons?

Seriously, the laws protecting patrons need to be changed and/or given teeth! IMO, this has already gone too far! 

• Love 20

Emilio Estevez has responded to his Mighty Ducks exit and he tells a very different story. 

He says that he is not anti-vax. That he takes covid very seriously and starting taking precautions as soon as he heard about it. That he caught covid very early on and had long haul syndrome. That he filmed season 1 while still feeling sick and that he was very concerned about covid safety. That his exit is completely over creative differences. 

As the show went back into production in August 2020, I reluctantly soldiered on, but was uncertain about how I would be safe on set. I questioned the wisdom of returning to make a tv show in the middle of a pandemic and how actors could be considered “essential workers.”

The show producers tried their best to assuage my fears of coming back to work. “You have natural immunity!” “You’ll be the safest one on set,” I was repeatedly told. Additionally, I was warned by my former reps about possible consequences and legal jeopardy I could face for not reporting to work as ordered.

So, I returned to Vancouver. I followed the Canadian quarantine mandate as well as the strict “Zone A” on set Covid protocols. I did not complain, nor did I release my diagnosis to the public. I wanted to try and preserve the show morale and be a leader, however, while still suffering from Long Haul Syndrome. The legacy of the franchise was more important to me than my own health.

In retrospect, I wrongly chose to protect the show over being transparent about having contracted Covid-19. I may have provided another public example to wit, how we are all vulnerable to this deadly disease.

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

WHY was he allowed to keep doing the literal equivalent of yelling fire in a crowded theater after ALREADY having had  performances that caused serious injuries to patrons?

Because venue and concert organizers keep giving him a stage. The legal system isn’t really set up to handle this. Even if one state did have stricter laws or punished him more severely he could just go to another state and do it again. 

While I'm very sorry to hear that Emilio Estevez has covid long haul syndrome, I'm happy that he's taken this crisis seriously (for himself and his coworkers) and that he's not anti-vax.  I've always liked him and didn't want him to be a selfish idiot like so many others today.

• Love 22
1 hour ago, Rootbeer said:

1 hour ago, Blergh said:

In a word, money.  Festival seating means more tickets can be sold.

And as long as Travis Scott sells a lot of tickets he will continue to be booked.

Sadly money is put ahead  of people's lives way too many times.  

• Love 2

I've yet to read where Emilio has clarified his actual vaccination status. One would think since he's had to deal with long haul symptoms of COVID he would be vaccinated in addition to taking all of the precautions he says he does. He says he's not anti-vaxx then goes on to say he's anti-bully. Is the bullying he's alluding to mandated vaccination or something else?

Edited by Jaded
  • Useful 3
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, Jaded said:

I've yet to read where Emilio has clarified his actual vaccination status. One would think since he's had to deal with long haul symptoms of COVID he would be vaccinated in addition to taking all of the precautions he says he does. He says he's not anti-vaxx then goes on to say he's anti-bully. Is the bullying he's alluding to mandated vaccination or something else? I'm still side eyeing him.

I’m of the opinion that no one should have to reveal their vaccination status to anyone other then for official reasons. That is in part because I know someone who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons. They take every precaution and are the safest person I know. I am more comfortable around them than multiple vaccinated people that I know. There are perfectly legitimate reasons not to be vaccinated. That alone doesn’t make someone irresponsible.

For the bullying it sound like he is talking about Disney for pressuring him to work while he was still sick and before he was comfortable and then for lying about the reason for the split.

Edited by Guest
21 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

The fact that he didn't come out and say he was vaccinated makes me think he probably isn't but not getting vaccinated when you say you know how horrible this virus is is very odd so I'm confused lol.

Not everyone can be vaccinated and they shouldn’t have to explain why they can’t. Their medical history isn’t anyone’s business. I really dislike this idea that anyone owes someone else their vaccination status. 

12 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

On the other hand if you're going to the press and talking about your medical condition with regard to Covid - especially if you're identifying as being a Covid long hauler it's not exactly out of line to expect some clarity on your vaccination status.  

Thank you. Exactly. And the fact that he went on at length about all that but didn't clarify that he's vaccinated makes me think he likely isn't.

• Love 13
5 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

On the other hand if you're going to the press and talking about your medical condition with regard to Covid - especially if you're identifying as being a Covid long hauler it's not exactly out of line to expect some clarity on your vaccination status.  

Not when he went to the press because there were “sources” claiming he was out of the show over the vaccine mandate which he says is absolutely not true. He wrote a long statement detailing how he is careful, how seriously he takes the disease, and how the studio pressured him to work when he still sick and concerned about safety. He is literally saying that Disney jeopardized his health and safety to film a tv show and then tried to paint him as the person unconcerned about covid. 

I am of the opinion that it is always out of line for the public to expect clarity on anyone’s vaccine status. It is medical information and none of our business. 

14 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

Maybe.  Maybe not but I have no problem with what he has shared. 

The press made it seem like he wasn't going to continue because of a vaccine mandate.  He wanted to change that perception of him.  At the very least, he's not undermining vaccinations in his personal decision to get vaxxed or not get vaxxed.

I do think people who interact with him are owed the truth but I don't feel a need to dig in further.

• Love 10