Type keyword(s) to search

Trickster - General Discussion

jewel21
  • Start Topic

This show is airing on The CW and I didn't see a thread for it and decided to make one. It's apparently a Canadian show that aired on CBC on October 7, 2020. The first two episodes have already aired on The CW. And it's been renewed for a second season. It's set in British Colombia, Canada and features a mostly Indigenous cast. 

Jared is an Indigenous teen struggling to keep his dysfunctional family above water. When he starts seeing strange things - talking ravens, doppelgängers, skin monsters - his already chaotic life is turned upside down.

It's unfortunate because I enjoyed the cast and characters. I will finish watching the first season on The CW but I will admit I am behind and haven't viewed the latest episode. I thought the main actor playing Jared is doing a great job and I hope to see him in future projects. 

More from the CBC including interviews with other indigenous creators who worry that it will now be harder to get their content on.

It's sad because it seems like Latimer really believed that she was indigenous based on family lore and genuinely wanted to promote indigenous content.

I finally got around to watching the latest episode and I'm still enjoying this show. I'm glad that Maggie and her mother were able to figure out what kind of magical creature Wade is. And we found out Maggie is a witch. I was originally thinking banshee after she screamed at Wade when he tried to steal baby Jared and his eyes bled as a result. 

Glad the drug dealer boyfriend got arrested for arson after he kicked Jared out of his own house and dumped all his stuff on the front lawn. What a turd. 

• Love 1

I have actually been disturbed by the portrayal of the indigenous community on this show.  Not the supernatural part .... just the fact that all the adults seem like alcoholics and addicts and are dependent on their high school aged children to pay their bills.  The only adult we have met  that is taking care of himself is the owner of the restaurant Jared works at. it’s possible that the parents of the video gamer friend are responsible adults, but we haven’t met them.  Maggie’s mom is sober now, but wasn’t. 

I can quit watching now that I know it’s been cancelled.  

Also..: I never fault anyone that truly believes they have ‘x’ ancestry based on what their family lore is.  It’s been the accepted way of learning about your family up until Ancestry DNA.    

• Love 1

Well, it's not the best show in the world, and i do not even pretend to understand all the issues of having a white woman be EP on it*, but all cancelling it does is put, what, 150 Indigenous people out of work? Surely there are other Indigenous producers out there who would love to work on a tv series? Unless ML owned the property somehow, I think they would have been better off re-staffing it and going on with the next season.

*And I don’t mean this in a dismissive way; I'm white, so don’t have the perspective the Indigenous people in the industry do, and am perfectly willing to accept their distress and anger over this issue. But a successful tv series isn’t something that just shows up every day.

• Love 1

It's not the greatest show but I'm still enjoying it. I watched the latest episode and I want to learn more about the Tricksters and how Jared is going to deal with actually being one and apparently having to kill his father as part of a ritual. 

I find both Jared and Wade intriguing characters and want to see them interacting more. Not one dying at the hands of the other, heh. 

I'm also enjoying this show. I absolutely love Jared's mom. She certainly has her moments when I'm like, "damn, lady! Get your shit together!" But I never doubt that she will do whatever it takes to save her kid and I cheer every time she turns on bad-ass mom and pulls out a shotgun, bow and arrow, or right hook to take someone the fuck out. 

I was so happy to see that show like this about indigenous communities and stories, and featuring a predominantly indigenous cast existed. And am totally bummed that it's been cancelled over some bullshit.  Here's to hoping the studio keeps their word and delivers on additional content like this in the near future.

• Love 2

Jared's mother is a character I both hate and like. She is a character I wouldn't want to be around in real life, but she is also a badass.

I can't believe she shot Jared with an arrow. That was hardcore. I loved Phil's reaction though, lol. I can't wait to see more of it next week.

I am sad the show was cancelled. I just started watching it and while I can never understand anyone else’s life experiences, especially indigenous people in Canada, I thought the show was well done. 

To me, more Important than whether of not the creator wasn’t indigenous or didn’t realize that was the case is whether or not he/she did a good job of trying to represent this population accurately and realistically seems more important.

Tony Hillerman was not a Navajo Indian, but they made him an honorary member, because of his books and understanding of the culture as well as the challenges involved.

I actually know nothing about the issue with the Trickster, but this constant throwing out the baby with the bath water is troubling. 

Edited by Stats Queen
  • Love 1

Well that was ‘something’.   Why was Jared at AA?  Why did Maggie let Richie come back If she had decided to get sober( she refused a drink). Why is Jared hauling ashes around? Why didn’t Maggie get rid of the ashes herself? 

• Love 1
On 2/10/2021 at 11:13 PM, Stats Queen said:

I actually know nothing about the issue with the Trickster, but this constant throwing out the baby with the bath water is troubling. 

I hope Netflix rescues this show, Netflix Execs do not seem to lose sleep over this type of controversy.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 1

I thought the episode was good but it did leave us with more questions than answers. Too bad they will never be resolved. This is apparently based on a book series so maybe I just need to read that to get some closure, heh.