Type keyword(s) to search

Wipeout - General Discussion

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

A reboot of the 2008 show, Wipeout is coming back to TBS in 2021.

Hosted by John Cena and Nicole Byer, with Camille Kostek serving as field host, Wipeout will feature twists and new elements that will push contestants’ athleticism and determination to even greater extremes, all while delivering some wildly epic fails! Each game is three rounds, with each round featuring a jaw-dropping, multi-stage obstacle course with numerous strategy and decision points designed to further challenge the stamina of the competitors and deliver hilarious and surprising wipeouts. And of course, the iconic staple of the show – the big balls! – are returning with a vengeance.

On 1/22/2021 at 10:31 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I can't wait!   I always enjoyed that show, and the hosts joking and puns.     I've actually caught a few reruns on TBS on weekend mornings, but I don't know if it a regular schedule. 

I just set my DVR to record the reruns on low priority. Like you said, it seems like TBS is just dropping in old episodes here and there.  Lately there have been some episodes from season two, which is interesting compared to the episodes from seasons 4 and 5 that I've also watched.

Many of the contestants I saw go through the first segment in the S2 episodes had no business running an obstacle course. It's like after season 1, some producer thought it would be funny to have those people getting destroyed by the course. (Which in my opinion, it was not.) By the S4 and S5 episodes, the contestants were mostly younger, fitter people. And the obstacles were entertainingly more brutal.

I do hope that the new episodes keep up the tradition of referring to the contestants by nicknames. I saw one where they nicknamed a young woman "Unbreakable [her first name]", and it just kept getting funnier and funnier as the show went along. That kid would hit face first into things, legs flying one way, arms another. Heh. Always got up and kept going.

• Love 1
(edited)

I liked Cena better than Miz on his wipeout knockoff show, but I think he needs to do a better job of knowing where to look at the camera. It got kind of uncomfortable to watch him staring slightly askew.

I’m really missing the Johns.

Edited by dmeets
  • Love 3

Yeah, John Cena and especially Nicole Byer are not a patch on John & John from the previous Wipeout. It was all falling flat for me. And why is Cena looking slightly off? It's unnerving. 

• Love 2

One of the nice things about John and John was that they were sports guys, which gave the commentary a bit of a SportsCenter feel to it. 

John Cena will hopefully get the hang of it as we go along. 

I will say this, the ABC Budget was probably a little bit more generous than the TBS one when they were putting together the course. Regardless, I'll always get a kick out of people getting smashed into giant foam rubber obstacles and falling awkwardly into water.

• Love 3

He’s really never been to a Red Lobster? Even after years of being on the road like 90% of the time?

”I don’t know anything. It’s a miracle I’m employed.” Okay, she’s growing on me.

The closest finish we’ve ever had (in the two whole episodes we’ve been on). Sure, there’s a decent chance these were filmed in a different sequence but still.

It’s pretty crazy to think how long it’s been since the original show? Their family competed a decade ago? Wow

Please, someone, tell Cena which camera to be looking at. It’s getting creepy, especially with his tendency to just stare wide eyed and non-blinking. But it’s doubtful anyone would dare correct him since it’s becoming clear this revival only exists as Cena’s vanity project to practice his comedy routine and occasionally lift his shirt.

I think this version of Wipeout was HORRIBLE!! Someone posted that it was unwatchable, and they're right! John Cena is terrible and the two women just don't fit the show. The woman and Cena don't have chemistry at all. In fact, she looks out of place. I also noticed that the show is relying on sexual innuendos, which I think is unnecessary. 

Bring back John, John and Jill Wagner please!!!

Edited by rr2911
  • Love 3

This was the first episode I watched from the beginning. Very disappointed to not see more of the first round. People attempting to cross the big balls is what made this show the first time.

• Love 1

Might be the only one watching this but I caved to TBS’s endless marketing for it while I watched Friends and Big Bang Theory reruns. 

I don’t really care for the parts where they get to know the contestants, who all seem to have some lame gimmicks to justify their team names (like the guys who wore mullet wigs and jean vests over their life jackets). 

But I do like watching them all get their asses kicked by the course and spectacular falls into the water. Fun times. 

• Like 3