Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Who's Got Game?

• Start Topic

The guest judge mentioning how important it is to talk about issues, even if you think its insignificant, in response to Elliot's piece, which said that his problems are not as big as other people's, was an important moment.

I have to agree with the judges that the little accidents added to Chris' piece, but that it was lucky they suited his theme. His and Kat's pieces were strong though.

I liked Andi's megaphones and my money would have been on Nao leaving. Katherine having a tatoo of a classical statue - thats so nerdy, its cool.

• Love 10

I loved that the football player guest judge saw a glassblowing video and decided to give it a try!

Elliott's spilled milk piece was well executed. I loved that the carton looked like there was milk inside and I liked the pool of spilled milk. I get that the judges didn't like that he wasn't more vulnerable, but (1) maybe he has had a very charmed life and hasn't had to face many hurdles and (2) give me a fucking break with that whining because Chris mad a cup of pencils instead of a cartoon character!

Chris is very lucky that the one week he had major technical mistakes (a crack in his piece, then fusing his piece to the shelf while trying to fix the crack), they actually worked with his concept.

I didn't have an issue with Andi's megaphones the way the judges did. Even though it looked very simple in design, I'm guessing making those forms was still very technical.

Cat made my favorite piece this week. I have terrible vision and people don't have any concept of what that's really like. Often I hear people say, "OMG I'm blind as a bat!" or "I'm practically legally blind!" and then it turns out that they wear reading glasses with a prescription of -1.25 or something ridiculous. By creating this piece and trying to simulate what the world looks like for her, it really gave an idea of just how fucked up the world is when your vision goes. I loved that each layer had a different effect.

I'm sure to Western people, Nao's hurdle doesn't seem that big a deal so I'm glad that both she and Katherine explained what a huge deal it is to get a tattoo in Japanese society. That's something we really take for granted here so people might not understand just how much it meant for Nao to do that.

• Love 9

The football player was the best.  I loved that he was into glass and his statement on how important it is to not bottle things up.  I also thought it was adorable how he looked to the head judge for validation on his critiques and seemed proud when she approved.  He was just really great.  I wonder if he reached out to the show and asked to be a judge.  

I am a terrible person because I rolled my eyes and said "of course Chris is an orphan."

• LOL 3
  • Love 17
On 1/23/2021 at 7:58 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Elliott's spilled milk piece was well executed. I loved that the carton looked like there was milk inside and I liked the pool of spilled milk. I get that the judges didn't like that he wasn't more vulnerable, but (1) maybe he has had a very charmed life and hasn't had to face many hurdles and (2) give me a fucking break with that whining because Chris mad a cup of pencils instead of a cartoon character!

I appreciate Elliot's self-awareness that his hurdles are much less than what others face. That said, I don't think the brief was intended to turn this into a competition of who has suffered the most. Without a doubt, everyone has dealt with a defeat at some point in their lives. The guest judge made a good point about the importance of sharing our struggles. I think if Elliot had incorporated some personal element his piece would have been a home run with the brief.

No doubt Chris also avoided brief he didn't like earlier on. The later in the series we go, the bigger a risk it is. It's harder to count on someone else missing the mark more as fewer artists remain.

• Love 3

How does Chris win because he accidentally screwed up his piece? When the woman judge was saying how good it was because the cracks were like the cracks in a windshield from an accident I wanted to scream at her. She just decided that's what it was, but he never intended it to be that, that's just what he was left with after he chopped his piece out of the annealer.  Chris for the win.

• Love 4
On 1/23/2021 at 10:46 PM, yourmomiseasy said:

I am a terrible person because I rolled my eyes and said "of course Chris is an orphan."

I'll join you on the ride to hell! I thought "Which dead relative will he cry about next week when his piece doesn't go well? A grandmother? Uncle?" Ugh. I'd feel more sympathetic if he wasn't such an ass most of the time. 

I wish Cat would have won. Her story is both inspiring and heartbreaking.

Eliot's milk carton was admittedly a copout, but it was technically amazing. Loved the angled milk inside the spilled glass. 

• Love 10

Another Chris Crying moment. There’s no crying in glassblowing! 😂 I’m sure there is but it felt so contrived and I just wanted to use that line  
I loved the football player’s commentary on the pieces and was very astute. He even got the judges something to consider. Plus he’s from NC, represent. 
I actually liked the megaphones the best. I thought Nao should have gone home. 

• Love 2
(edited)

They had to award Chris another win to justify his still being there. I think the reason they are keeping him is because they know he is going to do those advanced techniques every week, and they think it makes good TV. And cuz they want an Elliot/Chris finale show down. 

I actually didn't have a huge problem with Elliot's piece, because, as he said, the British are quite stoic and often dismiss their issues with the saying "don't cry over spilled milk". What was missing was the pathos, and how that stiff upper lip stuff can be damaging to a person. 

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 3
(edited)

I have to step back and say that Chris' piece would have hit me a lot harder and seemed much more profound if it wasn't from someone I despise who's already milked a dead relative for sympathy. (What's next? A clear toilet sculpture with the goldfish he had to flush as a child visible inside?)

I still think Cat should have won. Hers was an intricate, multi-layered design that both spoke to her greatest challenge and taught others what seeing the world through her eyes is like.

Edited by Bruinsfan