Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Center of Attention

• Start Topic

I would love to see the ultimate crossover competition where teams of glass blowers, potters, flower artist and bakers have to come up with an aesthetic for a dinner table or pop up restaurant.

I quite liked the berry colours on Kat's but that ring toss game? If it wasn't a glass competition the rings would be made of brass? How many games until one of the glass domes crack?

I knew Mike would be out the moment the showed the finished pieces. Its use was limited to certain foods and dinner themes. This time, it was Andi who was lucky that someone else messed up. Beautiful colours, but the polar bears were a bit random.

Bar the sharp edged bits, I think Elliot's trash can was pretty whimsy. I think this would work well with ice and vodka instead of champagne.

I am with the judges that the colours of Nao's pieces where a bit limiting and I would have loved to see more variation in height, but the idea was pretty neat. A worthy win.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 7

I loooooved that the guest judge was so insistent that the centerpieces weren't so tall that they would obstruct conversation. I hate when I go to weddings and they have huge floral arrangements that prevent you from seeing who's across from you.

Cat's ring toss/bug food covers were pretty. I don't know why the judges disliked the pink and purple colors so much. And although I get that the ring toss element was not practical since you don't want to break the pieces, I thought it was a fun idea.

Andi's main pieces were definitely too tall. They were slender so theoretically you could talk to the person across from you at certain angles. I did like the lovely marbled effect she used though. On a practical level, I don't want a pitcher that is both opaque and has an opening too narrow for me to look inside or put my hand in to clean it.

I loved Nao's candle holders. Again, I don't know why the judges disliked the colors so much. On a related note, like many people I have been trying all kinds of crafts during quarantine. One new to me thing I've tried is macrame. I love bright colors so I've been trying to find string and rope that comes in bright colors, but I'm the exception to the rule. So many people who make macrame are into neutral colors so in this community, mustard yellow is considered wild and crazy. I'm beginning to get the feeling that Katherine as a very specific color palette. I liked the turquoise, dark purple, and amber colors that Nao chose. Contrary to what the guest judge said, these would go with a lot of different table looks.

Mike's classy hot sauce trough was a fun idea but the way it was executed wasn't practical. As the judges pointed out, having to get a chip from the bottom bowl and the salsa from the top bowl and then bring the salsa covered chip to your mouth would probably make a mess. On top of that, the salsa bowl on top was very deep. Ideally you should have a wide but shallow bowl for salsa if it's up that high.

I didn't like Chris' piece for a couple of reasons. First, the top V and the bottom V didn't match up which really bugged me. The hand reaching through didn't read that way. It looked like a giant air bubble trapped at the botttom. The form with the big ball in the middle reminded me of another piece he'd already made. It was way too tall and the big fat ball in the middle would end up giving you a weird distorted upside down view of the person across from you.

Elliott's trash can for phones was a fun idea in theory but I wouldn't want to put my phone in something glass.

Yay for Nao winning!

I wasn't surprised that Mike was sent home. I feel like the judges were waiting for him to screw up so they could send him home.

• Love 6

Chris remains so pretentious that I can’t really appreciate anything he does. It’s so sad that his father died. I don’t think his piece was appropriate for the challenge since it blocked the view across the table and I think he was a bit forced with the explanation that the hand represented a memorial. Also, he was much too impressed with himself for sticking his hand into the hot glass. And I agree with ElectricBoogalo that it really didn’t read as a hand.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I loooooved that the guest judge was so insistent that the centerpieces weren't so tall that they would obstruct conversation. I hate when I go to weddings and they have huge floral arrangements that prevent you from seeing who's across from you.

Cat's ring toss/bug food covers were pretty. I don't know why the judges disliked the pink and purple colors so much. And although I get that the ring toss element was not practical since you don't want to break the pieces, I thought it was a fun idea.

Andi's main pieces were definitely too tall. They were slender so theoretically you could talk to the person across from you at certain angles. I did like the lovely marbled effect she used though. On a practical level, I don't want a pitcher that is both opaque and has an opening too narrow for me to look inside or put my hand in to clean it.

I loved Nao's candle holders. Again, I don't know why the judges disliked the colors so much. On a related note, like many people I have been trying all kinds of crafts during quarantine. One new to me thing I've tried is macrame. I love bright colors so I've been trying to find string and rope that comes in bright colors, but I'm the exception to the rule. So many people who make macrame are into neutral colors so in this community, mustard yellow is considered wild and crazy. I'm beginning to get the feeling that Katherine as a very specific color palette. I liked the turquoise, dark purple, and amber colors that Nao chose. Contrary to what the guest judge said, these would go with a lot of different table looks.

Mike's classy hot sauce trough was a fun idea but the way it was executed wasn't practical. As the judges pointed out, having to get a chip from the bottom bowl and the salsa from the top bowl and then bring the salsa covered chip to your mouth would probably make a mess. On top of that, the salsa bowl on top was very deep. Ideally you should have a wide but shallow bowl for salsa if it's up that high.

I didn't like Chris' piece for a couple of reasons. First, the top V and the bottom V didn't match up which really bugged me. The hand reaching through didn't read that way. It looked like a giant air bubble trapped at the botttom. The form with the big ball in the middle reminded me of another piece he'd already made. It was way too tall and the big fat ball in the middle would end up giving you a weird distorted upside down view of the person across from you.

Elliott's trash can for phones was a fun idea in theory but I wouldn't want to put my phone in something glass.

Yay for Nao winning!

I wasn't surprised that Mike was sent home. I feel like the judges were waiting for him to screw up so they could send him home.

Bobby seems to hate any color that isn't grey or beige. He's entitled to his opinion, of course, but I would have liked to have heard an acknowledgement that some people do like colors. Sheesh. If she'd used colors that would work for a holiday, there would have been furrowed brows and "oh dear, you can't really use these for any occasion, can you?" 

I thought the ring toss game was a cute idea, and when she said "brass rings" I was thinking maybe really thin, like wine charms? But while she was making them I was thinking that the only way the game would work would be with silicone rings. 

Chris is an asshole, full of himself, and the cynic in me groaned when he whipped up some tears. Its very sad about his father, don't get me wrong. I'm just "oh really? first hint of criticism and you start sniveling?" Yes, I am a bad person. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Chris is an asshole, full of himself, and the cynic in me groaned when he whipped up some tears. Its very sad about his father, don't get me wrong. I'm just "oh really? first hint of criticism and you start sniveling?" Yes, I am a bad person. 

I'll happily take the seat next to you on the bus to hell. Everytime someone brings up a dead relative, it sounds like they've watched too many episodes of Project Runway. A judgement booster for when they feel threatened by other contestant's ideas and creations. The box plot on people on TV competition with recently or tragically deceased family members must be quite the sight.

• Love 6

Chris should’ve been eliminated twice now.  It makes me wonder if they made a deal with him to stay for a certain number of episodes?  He’s disregarded the toon competition and the centerpiece competition to just make whatever he wanted?

• Love 8

What was the function of Chris's piece? Losing a parent right before the show is tough but I think that was his worst piece. That evasive conversation with the female judge was so awkward. 

I agree 100% with the winner. Although I disagree with the judges making comments about color limiting the occasions the center piece could be used at. That wasn't a requirement as far as I know. 

• Love 7

I looooved Nao's piece! I hated what she made last round and thought she should have been sent home, but I'm so glad she wasn't because hers was far and away the best one! Such a fun concept and beautifully executed. Sure, it wouldn't work for EVERY occasion, but I'm not actually sure anyone wants to use the same centerpiece every day of their life, so that's fine.

Do I feel bad for Chris? A little. I'm sure it is really hard to lose a parent and not really be able to grieve and process because you are filming a tv show. But none of that excuses his arrogant, entitled attitude. I do, kinda, buy his piece as a centerpiece, since I imagine wakes and memorial dinners are on his mind, but the off-centeredness of the vase bothered the heck out of me.

• Love 6

Chris was really in peak form with his ego trip this episode so when he started crying I immediately "FFS!" and threw up my hands.  Then I felt bad and like I might be as much of an asshole as him.

I liked the pieces from all of the women.  I don't know if they were all practical and fit the purpose, but they were pretty.

17 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I've been dyeing my own macrame rope.  It is a pain in the ass.  Do not recommend.  I've been meaning to try a few other ideas around non-traditional materials, but am too lazy.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

I've been dyeing my own macrame rope.  It is a pain in the ass.  Do not recommend.  I've been meaning to try a few other ideas around non-traditional materials, but am too lazy.

Haha, I am definitely too lazy to dye my own macrame rope. If I can't find the color I want already made, I'll just look for another color.

It does make me envious that the contestants on the show have access to so many different colors of glass though! It must be nice to have access to such a wide range of colors. I've only done glassblowing twice and they had a few colors of frit already out for us to choose from and I didn't think I should say, "Ummmm, but I'm really looking for something in a royal blue. Do you have any of that in the back?"

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Haha, I am definitely too lazy to dye my own macrame rope. If I can't find the color I want already made, I'll just look for another color.

It does make me envious that the contestants on the show have access to so many different colors of glass though! It must be nice to have access to such a wide range of colors. I've only done glassblowing twice and they had a few colors of frit already out for us to choose from and I didn't think I should say, "Ummmm, but I'm really looking for something in a royal blue. Do you have any of that in the back?"

I know I took a glass blowing class and that we made ornaments, but nothing else about it aside from there were no glory holes and it was much less hardcore than I was expecting.  I don't even know where the ornament is as proof I did it, but I am certain it happened.  I did a lampwork class and still have my torch head and a bag of cane somewhere.  All the MAP gas fumes in an enclosed room really got to me and I had to leave that class.  I also did a series of stained glass classes, but had to miss the final class due to shoulder surgery and still have the unfinished piece on top of the fridge.  The place said I could come in any time to finish, but it took me so long to relearn to use my arm and then be strong enough to do anything that I felt like it was pushing it.  The place is now gone and has been for a few years.  Maybe post pandemic I'll find another place and see about at least finishing that up.  My friend has a kiln she wants to get rid of, so I was thinking of trying slumping, or retrying lampwork as I think with proper ventilation I probably won't pass out.

I'm dyeing constantly anyway, so doing the macrame rope isn't a big deal, except I mainly do protein fibers and not cellulose.  I don't like the amount of rinsing involved in cellulose dyeing.  Being in Southern California, it just feels wrong.

5 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

I know I took a glass blowing class and that we made ornaments, but nothing else about it aside from there were no glory holes and it was much less hardcore than I was expecting.  I don't even know where the ornament is as proof I did it, but I am certain it happened.  I did a lampwork class and still have my torch head and a bag of cane somewhere.  All the MAP gas fumes in an enclosed room really got to me and I had to leave that class.  I also did a series of stained glass classes, but had to miss the final class due to shoulder surgery and still have the unfinished piece on top of the fridge.  The place said I could come in any time to finish, but it took me so long to relearn to use my arm and then be strong enough to do anything that I felt like it was pushing it.  The place is now gone and has been for a few years.  Maybe post pandemic I'll find another place and see about at least finishing that up.  My friend has a kiln she wants to get rid of, so I was thinking of trying slumping, or retrying lampwork as I think with proper ventilation I probably won't pass out.

I'm dyeing constantly anyway, so doing the macrame rope isn't a big deal, except I mainly do protein fibers and not cellulose.  I don't like the amount of rinsing involved in cellulose dyeing.  Being in Southern California, it just feels wrong.

I took two glassblowing classes at two different places several years apart. We got to use the glory holes at both which was fun! It was hot and fast and there was a lot of running back and forth between the glory hole and the bench. I loved seeing what all the different tools did. One was a Valentine's Day workshop so we made blown glass hearts and the color choices were pink, red, and purple. The other was making small bowls so there was more variety in the colors they had laid out for us, but I think there were a total of six colors to choose from. The bowls required A LOT more use of the different tools so it was really fun and educational. I really enjoyed both classes and had so much respect for glassware (which I had previously taken for granted) after seeing how much work went into making such simple objects.

I took a glass fusing and slumping class that was also fun. Weirdly that was the only class where I injured myself. I was cutting a piece of glass and accidentally cut myself. It was a really small cut and it barely bled so nothing major, but I just thought it was funny that instead of accidentally burning myself by touching something hot while glassblowing, my only glass-related injury was from cutting a piece of glass.

All of these classes were ages ago (and they were all one day workshops) so I don't remember much about the technical aspects. I have gotten spoiled by shows like the Great Pottery Throw Down explaining the different techniques in greater detail and the Great British Sewing Bee giving history lessons about techniques, and I feel like that educational component is really lacking on Blown Away. They give us quickie tidbits but it would be nice if they gave us occasional lessons on certain techniques, especially ones that are used often on the show.

Ha, the closest I've ever been to dyeing anything was when my friends and I bought black Rit so we could dye Barbie's clothes black and make her into goth Barbie. I think what's made me reluctant to try dyeing rope/string for macrame is having to unwind it from the spool and then somehow wind it back on so I don't end up with a tangled pile of a mess.

• Love 2
On 1/23/2021 at 6:31 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I love bright colors so I've been trying to find string and rope that comes in bright colors, but I'm the exception to the rule.

I've used paracord from Home Depot. You do have to burn the ends but it comes in A LOT of colors and wasn't difficult to work with. 

On 1/23/2021 at 11:14 AM, Michichick said:

Chris remains so pretentious that I can’t really appreciate anything he does. It’s so sad that his father died. I don’t think his piece was appropriate for the challenge since it blocked the view across the table and I think he was a bit forced with the explanation that the hand represented a memorial. Also, he was much too impressed with himself for sticking his hand into the hot glass. And I agree with ElectricBoogalo that it really didn’t read as a hand.

I didn't think it looked like a hand either. I wondered about that when he did it. It was much more a glob. 

On 1/23/2021 at 11:47 AM, Pepper Mostly said:

I had the same thought. Oh look the dead parent card so he doesn't get eliminated because I honestly wondered if he would be eliminated this episode before the dead dad card. 

• Love 6
On 1/23/2021 at 7:41 PM, lynxfx said:

What was the function of Chris's piece?

When he said that "not all get-togethers are happy" (or some such thing) and then said that it was a "memorial," I had visions of Dad's ashes in the vase for the memorial dinner.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I feel like that educational component is really lacking on Blown Away. They give us quickie tidbits but it would be nice if they gave us occasional lessons on certain techniques, especially ones that are used often on the show.

I agree- I'd love to really understand how it comes off the punty (sp?) so seemingly easily, and see some slo-mo of getting those spiral designs into the glass, and a whole mess of other things.

• Love 5