Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Freshman Orientation and the Inventor of the Zipper

Bort
  • Start Topic

College orientation does not go as Sheldon planned. Also, Mary is invited to a party when she's mistaken for a university student, and George Sr. helps Pastor Jeff set up a children's nursery.

Airdate: 21 January 2021

Please, no discussing spoilers from The Big Bang Theory that have not “happened” yet. 

• Love 1

Pleasantly surprised that Sheldon was so okay with Dr. Sturgis leaving the university for that big project. And while he shouldn’t have been so rude to Mary it’s understandable that he’d want space to do everything on his own. Too bad it all backfired on him. 

Loved Mary getting social with the other students and passing for one of them!

Connie, you can’t be upset that John didn’t tell you when you’re not together anymore. But his letter to her was very sweet. Just dump Dale already and get back with John!

LMAO with George and Pastor Jeff on the motorcycle.

• Love 17

Missy got ponies, Melissa gets horses.

I forgot the pastor moved next door.

Sam offering to buy Mary a school shirt because Sheldon would be mortified. 😆

Missy, sorry, Melissa, looks pretty with curls. I wonder how long the Melissa phase will last.

Why is he buying books before he even goes through orientation? My college's freshman orientation was over a couple of days over the summer, then freshman came to campus a couple days before upperclassmen returned and there were more orientation and ice-breaker type activities. Didn't buy any books until we got syllabi for our classes.

• Love 7

I thought Sheldon's predicaments were a bit OTT.

I loved that Mary was having fun and Sheldon was right to do his first day by himself.  

2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Why is he buying books before he even goes through orientation? My college's freshman orientation was over a couple of days over the summer, then freshman came to campus a couple days before upperclassmen returned and there were more orientation and ice-breaker type activities. Didn't buy any books until we got syllabi for our classes.

I had orientation the day before classes started and I'm pretty sure I got a book list when I signed up for classes, because I remember my parents were still there when I bought my books.

• Love 5

Seemed like a lot of commercials. Glad Mary was having such a great day while Sheldon’s was going so poorly. Maybe she’ll feel better about John not being there since she knows some students and that they’re good people. So is that it for John? Too bad. George seems to be falling into a mid-life crisis. And I think they’ve dumbed Billy down to the point where they need to acknowledge he’s learning disabled and stop using him as a punch line. 

• Love 15

I didn't buy books until after I'd registered for classes, which, in the 80s, we did in person with paper and pencil.  And long long lines.  Freshmen got last pick, too, which is how I ended up with a lab on Wednesday night. But until I got my course schedule, I had no idea what books I'd need.

Sheldon should have had some emergency pants and shirt in his briefcase! 

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I thought Sheldon's predicaments were a bit OTT.

Me, too. That's why I had no comments on them.

Just now, Browncoat said:

I didn't buy books until after I'd registered for classes, which, in the 80s, we did in person with paper and pencil.  And long long lines.  Freshmen got last pick, too, which is how I ended up with a lab on Wednesday night. But until I got my course schedule, I had no idea what books I'd need.

At summer orientation we were given a class schedule with the standard freshman classes that everyone takes (freshman composition, a gym class, stuff like that). Also got a drop/add form which I promptly filled out to drop the swimming class they put me in (we had to take three phys. ed. classes for the core curriculum; I cited my history of ear infections, which was not untrue, but really I just didn't want to have to swim). Our bookstore wasn't very big so at the beginning of each semester they set up long rows of tables with the books organized by class in the theater in the student center. (So I guess we did get them before classes started; we just had to find the labels for our classes. But still, after orientation.)

Just now, Browncoat said:

Sheldon should have had some emergency pants and shirt in his briefcase! 

That would be a very Sheldon thing to do. 

• Love 5

Mary, I have told you before, keep your eyes on the road when you drive. Many TV drivers act as is they can see through their left ears, but Mary is the worst. I'm expecting a wreck in some episode.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I just realized that the actress who plays the mom next door played Barbara Jean on Reba!  I happened to catch Reba reruns this morning. I may have watched a few episodes when it was first on but I would not have made this connection had I not seen her outrageous mugging just this morning. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
19 minutes ago, GussieK said:

I just realized that the actress who plays the mom next door played Barbara Jean on Reba!

It's nice to see her and Mary getting along so well.  Poor, sweet Billy/William.  He doesn't know whose underwear he's wearing.  😞   

Did we know that Missy's real name was Melissa?  I don't ever recall hearing them call her that.  I've always thought her given name was Missy.  Maybe I'm just as dense as Billy.  😉  

• LOL 11
  • Love 3

I was pleasantly surprised at how well Sheldon handled Dr. Sturgis leaving, although in retrospect it makes sense. Sheldon would certainly never turn down an opportunity like that. Sheldon really needs to bring a change of shirt and focus on that instead of worrying about which bow tie to go with. Also, Missy looked really cute with curled hair. 

Mary hanging with the college students makes me really want a "Mary goes back to college" story. 

George and Pastor Jeff was a small but funny subplot. "Lets go to Mexico!" 

• Love 18

"When you highlight everything, you highlight nothing" - truer words have never been spoken.

I was worried for a second that the bee sting would trigger a bad allergic reaction and land Sheldon in the hospital. Glad the show didn't go there.

1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Mary hanging with the college students makes me really want a "Mary goes back to college" story. 

Me too! It would be good for her to expand her horizons, and, best of all, it would annoy Sheldon to no end.

• Love 10
10 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Knowing Sheldon he would want first crack on the used books to get the best ones out of the bunch.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Driad said:

He could have gone back to the bookstore and bought a big T-shirt to cover his clothes.

So true.  As far as the zipper is concerned, I was thinking that he could've simply untucked his shirt and pulled it down over his pants.  That would've probably been too radical of a look for Sheldon though! 

• Love 5

Just out of curiousity.  Mary drove Sheldon to school and then waited around for him to finish, because of course, it's too far to make two trips.  But, is she planning to do this every day?  If not, how is Sheldon going to get there and back?  They could easily introduce a new character who lives near them and is commuting, but what is their plan right now?  Dr. Sturgis leaving doesn't even affect that because he doesn't drive.  Inquiring minds like mine want to know!

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

Yes.  She told George to call her Melissa when they went to Red Lobster.

Thanks for the reminder!  I'd totally forgotten that!

19 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Mary drove Sheldon to school and then waited around for him to finish, because of course, it's too far to make two trips.  But, is she planning to do this every day?  If not, how is Sheldon going to get there and back? 

I wonder if he was going to stay with Dr. Sturgis during the week?  It didn't sound like it though when Mary spoke to him.  It seemed that Dr. Sturgis was just going to look out for him while he's at school.  Hmm, good question, Katy M!

I thought it was sad when George was thinking about his life and how he wanted to coach a college football team rather than a high school team.  It's too bad that Mary didn't even get that idea a second thought, thereby crushing his dream.  😞  

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Just out of curiosity.  Mary drove Sheldon to school and then waited around for him to finish, because of course, it's too far to make two trips.

I think she stayed because she had planned to spend the day with him for orientation.

The distance can't be too far. Dr. Sturgis doesn't drive, and he rode his bike regularly to visit MeeMaw. I think we have to assume that he rode his bike from where he lived to work at the school too. So the drive from Sheldon's house to the school can't be too far.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Missy got ponies, Melissa gets horses.

I forgot the pastor moved next door.

Sam offering to buy Mary a school shirt because Sheldon would be mortified. 😆

Missy, sorry, Melissa, looks pretty with curls. I wonder how long the Melissa phase will last.

I started at Ole Miss in 1988. The first thing you were required to do was get your student ID, then I got the course catalog and picked out my classes then tried to sign up for them by putting my card in a machine, then I went to the bookstore. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Katy M said:

I had orientation the day before classes started and I'm pretty sure I got a book list when I signed up for classes, because I remember my parents were still there when I bought my books.

When my daughter started university we had flown back from UK to enrol her, as I recall we did everything in one day -  registered for class and then went and bought her books.  If there was an orientation we missed it!  I guess every university does things differently but in our case given the limited amount of time we had I'm glad it was rushed!  

13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Freshmen got last pick, too, which is how I ended up with a lab on Wednesday night.

That's how I ended up taking Greek history my first semester!  It was certainly not by choice!  Anyway given that Sheldon is pretty special to the university there is no way he wasn't going to get placed exactly where they want him placed!

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Just out of curiousity.  Mary drove Sheldon to school and then waited around for him to finish, because of course, it's too far to make two trips.  But, is she planning to do this every day?  If not, how is Sheldon going to get there and back?  They could easily introduce a new character who lives near them and is commuting, but what is their plan right now?  Dr. Sturgis leaving doesn't even affect that because he doesn't drive.  Inquiring minds like mine want to know!

I assume she was staying just because it was his first day/orientation. He might not have wanted her to stay with him, but I would want to be nearby if I were her. Once he's familiar with the campus and routine, she wouldn't feel the need to stay close by (at least not as much).

I don't remember how far a drive it's supposed to be.

• Love 2

The actor playing Billy has grown up too much to be the "kid so dumb it's funny" storyline.  I was always a little uncomfortable with it, but that scene buying school supplies was cringe worthy.

George and the Pastor driving off on the motorcycle was the highlight of the episode.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, Frost said:

George and the Pastor driving off on the motorcycle was the highlight of the episode.

Yes, George and the Pastor on the motorcycle was perfect, especially after their delightfully low-key but still hysterical discussion of fatherhood. Having the pastor take advice from George was a great set up to begin with. And Mary's distracted look as they whizzed by was great too. We knew Georgie messing with the motorcycle was going somewhere (pun not intended), but the end result was way better than anything I could've imagined. Seems like there's an Emmy in there somewhere.

• Love 9
15 hours ago, greekmom said:

Knowing Sheldon he would want first crack on the used books to get the best ones out of the bunch.

And I can't imagine Sheldon wouldn't be on a full-ride, even at a podunk (made up)  University.

My biggest beef was the pronunciation of WAXahachie.  As a Houstonian, Jim Parsons would have known that, and should have caught it. 😃

picky, picky....  

Cute episode.  Melissa looked lovely.  She's grown up a lot during the pandemic.  Loved George's "They could tell us about twins, but they couldn't tell us about a Sheldon."  hee!  No doubt!

• Love 7
On 1/21/2021 at 8:33 PM, ams1001 said:

On 1/21/2021 at 10:18 PM, tennisgurl said:

Also, Missy looked really cute with curled hair. 

I loooved how she refreshed the curls by placing her palm underneath and bouncing them! I remember that being a thing many years ago. Does anyone else remember that?

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Quark said:

Wonderful episode.

I hope this isn't the last we see of Dr Sturgis. He makes Sheldon a hell of a lot more bearable.

The supercollider project in Waxahachie was cancelled in October 1993 because of budget problems. Not sure what year it is in show now (when S1 started it was 1989), but maybe he'll be back when his job disappears.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, ams1001 said:
1 hour ago, Quark said:

I hope this isn't the last we see of Dr Sturgis. 

The supercollider project in Waxahachie was cancelled in October 1993 because of budget problems. Not sure what year it is in show now (when S1 started it was 1989), but maybe he'll be back when his job disappears.

Such a sad story of the cancelled supercollider project: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-supercollider-that-never-was/ 

I bet Sheldon would be more sad about the loss of the project than happy to have Dr. Sturgis back, but maybe Sheldon could have a little personal growth when he realizes that Dr. Sturgis is even more unhappy about it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

It's 1992.  That's when Bush visited the supercollider and the radio was talking about that on the epi.

• Useful 6
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

It's 1992.  That's when Bush visited the supercollider and the radio was talking about that on the epi.

OMG I'm calling it now. The show'll write it so Bush met Dr. Sturgis, that's why the project was canceled😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• LOL 4
On 1/22/2021 at 5:11 PM, Frost said:

The actor playing Billy has grown up too much to be the "kid so dumb it's funny" storyline.  I was always a little uncomfortable with it, but that scene buying school supplies was cringe worthy.

While I agree with you, in one instance I do understand Billy's confusion. My family always called me by a diminutive of my first name, so when I started school and the teacher called out my full name, I didn't know who that was. 🙂

I thought George and the pastor's scenes were great. They've really done a good job of fleshing out Sheldon's father as a character. I kind of figured it would be George on the bike at the end, but the pastor on the back was a surprise.

Is it wrong that all I felt for Connie being bothered because Dr. Sturgis didn't let her know he was taking a new job and moving was "serves her right"? I know she was great in her scenes when she helped him with his breakdown (kudos to Annie Potts for that), but she broke up with him.

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, Driad said:

Apparently Billy's parents, when they are angry at him, do not address him as "William Middlename Sparks."

I have a friend who was teaching a young class (1st grade or younger) and she was calling roll on the first day and said “Michael.” The poor little boy burst into tears and said, “That’s my ‘in trouble’ name!”

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

While I agree with you, in one instance I do understand Billy's confusion. My family always called me by a diminutive of my first name, so when I started school and the teacher called out my full name, I didn't know who that was.

But, you were 5 or 6. Billy's 11 or 12.

• Love 1
Just now, Katy M said:

But, you were 5 or 6. Billy's 11 or 12.

My father didn’t know his first name until he was in the Army in WWII.  Of course, data was often recorded by pen and paper back then (e.g., censuses) so…

But more to the point of the characterization of Billy: I think the objection by some viewers is using his character to ridicule those who are mentally challenged. 
I’m not sure they’re doing that here. It was more like the smarter kids were becoming aware of Billy’s limitations. 
But I only watched it once. 

15 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

While I agree with you, in one instance I do understand Billy's confusion. My family always called me by a diminutive of my first name, so when I started school and the teacher called out my full name, I didn't know who that was. 🙂

I thought George and the pastor's scenes were great. They've really done a good job of fleshing out Sheldon's father as a character. I kind of figured it would be George on the bike at the end, but the pastor on the back was a surprise.

Is it wrong that all I felt for Connie being bothered because Dr. Sturgis didn't let her know he was taking a new job and moving was "serves her right"? I know she was great in her scenes when she helped him with his breakdown (kudos to Annie Potts for that), but she broke up with him.

I thought that Dr. Sturgis was the one who broke up with Connie after his hospitalization. Then she met Dale and they started dating.  I could be mistaken. 

• Love 6
58 minutes ago, Liddy52 said:

I thought that Dr. Sturgis was the one who broke up with Connie after his hospitalization. Then she met Dale and they started dating.  I could be mistaken. 

Nope. That's what happened.  Than when Dr. Sturgis saw her with Dale, he decided he wanted her back.

• Love 3

I really liked this episode - especially the way Mary fit in at college.  One thing that struck me though was how little used Georgie was.  If they keep the focus on Sheldon and move more of the scenes to a college setting I guess that makes sense.  Even if they don't, he's so much older than the twins that it also makes sense that he wouldn't interact as much at home.  I hope I'm wrong though, I like the Georgie character!

• Love 5
On 1/21/2021 at 8:39 PM, Kiddvideo said:

George seems to be falling into a mid-life crisis.

I liked that they focused more on what it feels like to be 40 (ish) and have spent most of your adult life supporting a family and raising kids.  It could have been another opportunity to make Mary a dream squasher and I am so glad they didn't go there!

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I liked that they focused more on what it feels like to be 40 (ish) and have spent most of your adult life supporting a family and raising kids.  It could have been another opportunity to make Mary a dream squasher and I am so glad they didn't go there!

Good point! As a single mom at the time of the story, I can relate.
The Cooper's neighborhood wouldn't likely have a single mom, but it seems there would be an apartment complex nearby where a classmate of Missy's might live with a single parent. 
But I guess the cast size needs to be reined in for a 20 minute show.
And the dynamic with the Pastor and George for this plot point was better than anything else I can imagine.

I thought that Sheldon's misadventures were too much over the top. I cringed for him and had to FF. 

Loved George and the Pastor -- and especially the continuity with Sheldon's former college classmate running into Mary at the bookstore. 

• Love 2