Type keyword(s) to search

The "Doc" Marlena Evans Black Thread

• Start Topic

I thought it was four clones?

I honestly have no idea what became of them. Maybe someone else remembers?

If this is going to be the catch-all Marlena thread, can I just say that one of my favourite Marlena moments of all time is when Stefano tried to have his men throw her out of the castle window in Italy and she had to beg and scream for her life. For some reason that completely tickled me! I realize she's the heroine of the show, but as an insufferable smarty pants and smug, self-righteous person, it's nice every once in awhile to see her get her comeuppance. And what better occasion then that? Marlena may not have technically killed Kristen as much as accidentally sent her hurling towards a window, but I love that the show took the time to have Stefano avenge his beloved adopted daughter like that.

Other favourite Marlena moments, big or small, that come to mind?

I really liked when Marlena showed up at the Kiriakis Mansion just to ask Brady how he was doing after his first wedding with Kristen fell through. It was such a sweet moment of genuine concern. The show seems to always forget she was effectively his mother his entire life.

And of course there were tons of great Marlena moments when Will was coming out.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 4

It's funny to me how much I love Deidre Hall and I can't even think of one favorite Marlena moment.  This should probably be in the Unpopular Opinion thread but I started watching the show because of the Demon-Possession storyline and I enjoyed every minute of it.  I wasn't normally a fan of such outlandish plots, and I think I only started watching to see how stupid it was, but Deidre Hall hooked me.  

It helped that another favorite, Eileen Davidson, was there and Kristin was a conflicted character at the time.  

• Love 2
10 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I am rolling! Is this from when Marlena was like possessed by the devil or whatever? Man, I would have been all over that shit. I'm surprised I didn't start watching then? What year was it?

Yeah that rubber mask is hilarious! They did a great job of making the posession creepy (she floated off her bed, spoke in a demon voice, changed shape into both a panther and Kristen, etc) but once they brought that mask in, it kinda ruined the mood. It just looks so bad.

This all went down in 1995...and because you made me look it up, I learned that the Phantom of the Armoire storyline preceded it:

"The story begins when the villainous Stefano DiMera gives Marlena mind-altering drugs whilst she is asleep, and with her hypnotised, whisks her away into his fantasy world of romance. The mental, emotional and spiritual abuse of this leaves her open to demonic possession..."

I really struggled to find gifs of her with Roman. Really wish NBC would make older episodes available online somehow. There would be so many more memes!

• Love 2
On 1/21/2021 at 7:30 PM, Pearson80 said:

I absolutely loved Roman and Marlena together....

So did I! I started watching during the affair storyline, and I was rooting for them to stay together. While I do think John/Marlena have better chemistry, I thought Roman/Marlena made better partners. They challenged each other and pushed each other to grow in a way I don't think John/Marlena do. I'm still bitter at what a nothing of a character Roman has become. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, 4evaQuez said:

So did I! I started watching during the affair storyline, and I was rooting for them to stay together. While I do think John/Marlena have better chemistry, I thought Roman/Marlena made better partners. They challenged each other and pushed each other to grow in a way I don't think John/Marlena do. I'm still bitter at what a nothing of a character Roman has become. 

Amen! There was a lightness and humor with Roman and Marlena that John and Marlena did not have.  I also think it was a holdover from Rojohn and Marlena that influenced Jarlena.  They were always dealing with some crisis and miserable.  Roman and Marlena had fun and Marlena enjoyed herself immensely and was not so stuck-up around Roman.   

Roman as a character has become a joke, he should have been killed off..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 1/28/2021 at 7:48 PM, Pearson80 said:

I also think it was a holdover from Rojohn and Marlena that influenced Jarlena. 

I was about to say I prefer John/Marlena to Roman/Marlena, but actually it was Rojohn/Marlena that I loved the best.  The storyline that brought Marlena to believe The Pawn was really Roman, is one of my favourite storylines ever. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, buffynut said:

I was about to say I prefer John/Marlena to Roman/Marlena, but actually it was Rojohn/Marlena that I loved the best.  The storyline that brought Marlena to believe The Pawn was really Roman, is one of my favourite storylines ever. 

That was a beautiful storyline from the moment Marlena entered the hospital she was drawn to this mysterious man with the bandaged face...

• Love 2

After just rewatching the end of the Kristen saga, where Laura escaped from a mental hospital and argued that everyone had to search the DiMansion for Marlena during Susan's Graceland-themed wedding to John....I'm struck by how close she and Marlena used to be. Marlena even said Laura saved her life.

I also noticed a quick scene of Maggie embracing a newly freed Marlena...and it got me wondering: what happened to these friendships? Laura was phased off the show...but Maggie has been on consistently yet she and Doc never speak.

...who is friends now with Marlena (besides freaking Ben)? Were there plot reasons for her falling out with Laura or Maggie..? Are we to believe they are all still close?

• Love 3
9 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

After just rewatching the end of the Kristen saga, where Laura escaped from a mental hospital and argued that everyone had to search the DiMansion for Marlena during Susan's Graceland-themed wedding to John....I'm struck by how close she and Marlena used to be. Marlena even said Laura saved her life.

I also noticed a quick scene of Maggie embracing a newly freed Marlena...and it got me wondering: what happened to these friendships? Laura was phased off the show...but Maggie has been on consistently yet she and Doc never speak.

...who is friends now with Marlena (besides freaking Ben)? Were there plot reasons for her falling out with Laura or Maggie..? Are we to believe they are all still close?

From another Days board I frequent, it seems the actresses for Marlena/Maggie had a real-life falling out. Hence, Maggie/Marlena not having any scenes together in years/more than a decade(?). The actresses were pictured together in 2018/2019, so people theorize that they may have made up, but of course, we'll never know for certain.

Marlena doesn't seem to have any friends. I wouldn't consider Ben a friend since she plays a more mentor/mother role to him and they are in no way equals. I think we're supposed to believe her and Kayla are friends, but I have never liked their interactions.

Of course there's Kate, but those two share scenes infrequently, but I do enjoy them when they do. That being said, I don't know if I see those two as equals either.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Marlena in her original run was connected to everybody on the show and had genuine friendships with al of them.  When she died the town was really heartbroken. 

The Laura/Marlena was always beautiful due to the fact that Marlena was created to fill the void of Laura who was beloved by the audience.  The show was looking for a new Laura when Marlena was brought to town and was meant to leave town after helping Mickey. Marlena was such a hit with the fans that the show abandoned their plans for a new Laura and the rest is history.  It is why Laura was gone for so many years. I also think Laura's absence contributed to the slow demise of the Horton family.  You had Alice and then her grandchildren in Mike, Melissa, Hope and Jennifer driving their own stories, the generation before them other than Mickey was absent...

Fun Fact: The character Marlena was named after a beloved crew member by the name of Marlene who was German. In German, Marlene is pronounced Marlena so  in rehearsals the actors kept on pronouncing it as Marleen the way you would in English so they decided to spell Marlena with an a instead of an e  so they would pronounce it the way they wanted to in honor of Marlene.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 1/20/2021 at 1:00 PM, ajs1615 said:

I still maintain she had better chemistry with Wayne's Roman then she does with Drake. 

Did TPTB decide to put her with John as a love interest because Wayne left the show or was there some other reason?  I totally agree that Marlena had more chemistry with Roman than John.  They should have kept John with Kristen.  The ONLY time I think Marlena and John had any chemistry was when John ended up delivering Belle @ the Horton Cabin.

Edited by BluegrassDCCFan
formatting

Does anyone have any ideas what Marlena's upcoming storyline might be?  I'm hearing that it might be something "unacceptable" or that we wouldn't expect Marlena to do.  Does anyone think it'll have something to do with the limited "Beyond Salem" series??

14 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

The rumor is another posession story but we don't really know yet.

If you ever found that birthing video, message me 😅 I'd want to see it.

We are reliving the JER years with Reron...

15 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

The rumor is another posession story but we don't really know yet.

If you ever found that birthing video, message me 😅 I'd want to see it.

Deidre has just said something along the lines of fans thinking "I don't even know if I can go for that".  Talking about the fans and about her new storyline. Which birthing video(s) are you looking for? I have all of Marlena's birth scenes bookmarked.

On 8/14/2021 at 2:08 AM, DisneyBoy said:

I'll message you privately then :)

Yeah, God only knows horrors they've cooked up for Deidre....

Happy viewing! Yeah I can't wait to see what TPTB have in store for Marlena.  There are some really good FB groups for John and Marlena.  I'll send you the links privately.

On 8/15/2021 at 5:41 AM, chediavolo said:

What are these links to old shows ?!😳 where can I find them, I thought they were not streaming anywhere? 

I sent a bunch of links of Marlena giving birth to her various kids to someone in PM.  Will send them to you.  

• Love 1
On 1/28/2021 at 11:08 AM, 4evaQuez said:

This!  1000%!! 

• Love 3
On 1/28/2021 at 11:08 AM, 4evaQuez said:

I'm still bitter at what a nothing of a character Roman has become. 

And I think that's why Wayne Northrup left.  He's a much better Roman than Josh.  Josh should have stuck to playing that Chris guy.

Can't spell
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

What was, in your opinion, the best era or storyline for this character? Where did Marlena shine best, and why?

I thought when Marlena first came back from the dead in 1991, then getting thrown in the pit in 1992, leading to the whole affair with John and the birth of Belle to the revelation of the affair in 1994 and Roman divorcing her. Deidre did some of her best acting there.

Edited by TenaciousWarrior
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

I thought when Marlena first came back from the dead in 1991, then getting thrown in the pit in 1992, leading to the whole affair with John and the birth of Belle to the revelation of the affair in 1994 and Roman divorcing her. Deidre did some of her best acting there.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. The pit was just an ingenious story by Sherry Anderson and the birth of Jarlena.  Marlena's empathy  once again got her in trouble with another deranged person by the name of Stella Lombard.  Stella was a sympathetic villainess, the loss of her son drove her mad.

7 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

What was, in your opinion, the best era or storyline for this character? Where did Marlena shine best, and why?

I think that her earlier stories before she "died" were just as awesome.  Her work as a psychiatrist drove so many stories for her and it was her coming to town to help Mickey Horton  and the empathy that she showed him made her so popular.  I loved her stories with her twin Samantha.  Her romance with Don and the loss of their son DJ and the deterioration of their marriage was painful and so realistic.  I adored her romance with Roman, just divine and it was really Marlena at her best.  Their push/pull dynamic, her liberalism versus his conservatism that was so well done. It was vintage Sherry Anderson.  Samantha's murder and the fallout. Marlena in therapy talking about what it is like to now live without her twin sister was heartbreaking because Marlena is always so calm and stoic.  Roman's death and Stefano's burgeoning malevolence towards her and her family. Her romance with that police chief who was so much like Roman but who turned out to be an evil criminal.  He was her rebound romance before an amnesiac calling himself John who was really Roman came into her life, however, that was retcon when she came back in 1991.  Her bond with Carrie and her foster son Johnny.  Her rivalry with Anna, her friendships with everybody in town, I absolutely loved her close relationships with Shawn and Caroline Brady, she used to call them mom and Pop.  Her friendships with Bo, Eugene and Kim were always endearing.  Marlena was a fantastic heroine and beloved by the audience. It is just too bad that she got awful stories over the years that detracted from her awesomeness. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 3