Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: 2100°

• Start Topic

It's funny because my immediate first though was: "so a dormant volcano has been under Austin for millions of years and something around it JUST woke up? Really?" And then I looked it up and it's actually a real thing so...I guess they really got me good. I genuinely thought they were making shit up. I mean, sure, Pilot Knob is extinct, but it's better than them making up a volcano that doesn't exist.

The inconsistent mask wearing still bothers me. 

I actually felt sorry for the poor EMT who got killed. I remember him making appearances last season and I did think that we were finally going to see the EMTs get a story this season with Tommy. Alas, one of them's dead so I guess they're down to two. 

Weird episode, all around. Oddly enough, I felt like nothing much happened beyond the cases this week. Besides a colleague's death, and Owen/Gwyneth already showing signs that they're gonna have some relationship troubles sooner, rather than later. I'm guessing that Owen is, indeed, bottling up his feelings and him doing that was one source of their marital issues. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, possibilities said:

But generally this is way worse than the helicopter that fell on Romano.

At least a helicopter didn't drop out of the sky and fall on Gallant 😂

The volcanic bombs freaked me out. I was literally holding my chest after the first guy got hit, then the paramedic.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

What the hell were the writers thinking?  This episode was so far away from anything real in was absurd.

I mean . . . a volcano? In Texas?? OK then.

Anyone else think Vega's daughters were kind of creepy? Maybe it was just the camera phone angle but I got serious Twins from The Shining vibes from them. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

So now we are going from one big event right to the next? Cant we just have a few normal episodes, please? I should have known the paramedic was toast (pun possibly intended?) as soon as he started to get actual scenes, all we needed was to see him showing some pictures of his newborn baby or have him have some flashbacks to his tragic backstory to really figure out that he was a dead man walking. I actually thought that the paramedics might get some actual screen time this week, now that Michelle isn't her to suck up so much of the plot with her drama, but I guess they thought they needed to shake up the "big disaster" episode a bit by offing a reoccurring character. Then of course they play Halleluiah, every shows favorite "this is super sad you guys" mood setter. 

Show, you can keep telling me what a great boss and medic Michelle was, your just not going to convince me. 

At least most everyone got a bit to do this week, and I am always happy to see more of Grace. 

Its only the start of season two, have they really gotten to the point of having them deal with long dormant volcanos already? That seems more like a "season five and running out of ideas" plot than something for the start of season two. I know that this franchise loves its ridiculous situations and rescues, but this is really pushing it. 

The stories themselves were alright, the mini golf one was the kind of ridiculous that this show loves so much, and I thought the two college students who realized they liked each other during the pool disaster were cute, I am glad that they both survived. But mostly this was a really weird episode.

• Love 10

This was an especially gruesome episode to sit through, from the girl pulling the skin of the pool guy's arm to the guy who was sticking to the metal figurehead and had to be peeled off of it. I felt like I was watching The Walking Dead.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, GodsBeloved said:

At least a helicopter didn't drop out of the sky and fall on Gallant 😂

Thank you!!!!!! I admit it had been a long day when I watched 9-1-1/9-1-1 LS back to back but I KNEW I recognized angsty mini golf dad and could not for the life of me place him ... and this after binge-rewatching all of ER through the almost-end of S14 (I’m not ready yet to watch Pratt die ... plan to finish it out this week). 

• Love 4

The one thing that amazes me every single episode is the 911 operator. She manages to be calm, efficient, resourceful & creative no matter what is thrown at her. She may not be in physical danger but answering those calls must be so stressful.

• Love 13

As soon as they started in with all that totally wrong cancer talk ("Remission"? Nobody has used that word in about a decade. And if he still has to have surgery, not the right term ever) that there would be a lot of handwaving. 

Wasn't there a Sharknado sequel with volcano sharks?

The bit where the dead guy walking heard the boss lie to her daughters and reacted to it with empathy was a little odd -- I would have thought he would have thought she was a hypocrite. But then even odder is that on a show like this she never knows that he forgave her. 

On 1/26/2021 at 4:35 PM, meira.hand said:

The one thing that amazes me every single episode is the 911 operator. She manages to be calm, efficient, resourceful & creative no matter what is thrown at her. She may not be in physical danger but answering those calls must be so stressful.

That's my daughter! 

ETA: Just realized I should have specified that my oldest daughter is a 911 operator who is "calm, efficient, resourceful & creative no matter what is thrown at her."
She is not an actor!

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 6

And with a single keystroke she managed to conjure the exact variety of scorpion the food truck lady was infested with. Amazing - her Google skills are unparalleled. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

the mini golf one was the kind of ridiculous that this show loves so much,

The guy's skin gets seared to whatever he fell on, yet his clothes were as pristine as the day he bought them.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Does anybody know what version of hallelujah this is? I mean, who sings it? I don't recognize any popular voice.

The last scene with that boy in the forest was really spooky. And then those fires -  or more lava? Grrr...

I knew she would take the cat. Point for me, haha 😉

• Love 1
1 hour ago, lorbeer said:

Me too. But it was ruined by her being shown giving it the traditional saucer of milk because we now know cats don’t digest milk well. 
But these 9-1-1 shows are always chock full of anachronisms. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, lorbeer said:

Does anybody know what version of hallelujah this is? I mean, who sings it? I don't recognize any popular voice.

The last scene with that boy in the forest was really spooky. And then those fires -  or more lava? Grrr...

Was it Eric Church? I don't even remember if it was a male or a female singer. 

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Wasn't there a Sharknado sequel with volcano sharks?

When the scorpion invasion first began, I thought they might be going for a crossover with a different SyFy cheesy disaster flick Lavalantula...

Lavalantula.jpg

• LOL 4

I get that Tommy feals responsible, but when Zeus throws a fireball from the heavens into the guy's chest, blame is pretty well established.

I always pass on the soap opera melodramatic music. I get it THIS IS SAD.

I did laugh when they talked about the locusts coming and the next scene was the scorpions.

Edited by juno
  • Love 5

This definitely upped the gross factor. And I knew last week that the parademic was going to die - he had more dialogue in that one episode then he had all last season, and the previews were pumping the 'we lost one of our OWN' beat. Seriously, he should have just had the red shirt on.

The stories are ridiculous but they are on the 9-1-1 mothership as well - it's why I enjoy my two hour block o' nuts on Monday nights! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, lorbeer said:

Jeff Buckley, AKA the version played for maximum cliche TV angst.*

Needed more Paul and Marjan. I love Paul.

*(Not to denigrate this version, which is beautiful and haunting and sad considering what happened to Buckley, but it is used A LOT)

Edited by auchic
Finishing my thoughts
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

I'm wondering what the hell did I just watch?

1 hour ago, TVForever said:

Both 9-1-1 shows are like getting a full-on disaster movie every week. It's exhausting.

It was like watching the movie 2012.

• LOL 1
16 hours ago, preeya said:

What the hell were the writers thinking?  This episode was so far away from anything real it was absurd.

My hubby was increasingly furious during the mini golf scene because when they kept calling out the temperature he’s like “but he’d be dead.  Ok now he would be more dead.”  I tried to reassure him that’s it’s just a TV show and not a documentary but he could not be appeased.

I also am with the camp, though, who is hoping for some regular calls soon and not a full scale disaster every week.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, mojoween said:

My hubby was increasingly furious during the mini golf scene because when they kept calling out the temperature he’s like “but he’d be dead.  Ok now he would be more dead.”  I tried to reassure him that’s it’s just a TV show and not a documentary but he could not be appeased.

🤣😂😆 LOL, I was thinking the same as your hubby ——although not too furiously.

I guess the guy who did boil to death in the pool was the writers’ Score 1 for the #MeToo movement.  
But then what’s up with the symbolism of the nice dude getting hot lava slammed at his heart? I mean, shouldn’t he have just been the Bachelor whose rose is accepted (or however that nonsense works)?  
Oh. Wait. Don’t most of the winning bachelors and bachelorettes break up and get heartbroken after the show is over? 
I get it. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Me too. But it was ruined by her being shown giving it the traditional saucer of milk because we now know cats don’t digest milk well. 

I was suprised too with that milk thing

• Love 3
15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

My vet has told me it's fine to give a cat milk, just not a lot of it. Yeah, I know, I was surprised by that info too. 

I was not bothered by the saucer of milk so much as the big-ass smile she had on her face while she was petting Buster, given that the reason she had the cat was because his owner died. Maybe don't be so happy about it?  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, cardigirl said:
15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

But it was ruined by her being shown giving it the traditional saucer of milk because we now know cats don’t digest milk well. 

My vet has told me it's fine to give a cat milk, just not a lot of it.

Okay. That's better. 

5 minutes ago, cardigirl said:

My vet has told me it's fine to give a cat milk, just not a lot of it. Yeah, I know, I was surprised by that info too. 

I was not bothered by the saucer of milk so much as the big-ass smile she had on her face while she was petting Buster, given that the reason she had the cat was because his owner died. Maybe don't be so happy about it?  

Maybe it's that feeling of still having her friend around, in a way, by taking in his cat.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, auchic said:

I love Paul.

SO SO SO SO MUCH THIS!!!! I'm really hoping that now that S2 is underway, they'll do a version of the "XYZ Begins" stories they did with Original Recipe 9-1-1 and I'm really looking forward to a Paul-centric episode. He may be my favorite TV character right now (with Hen a close second). 

So, hoping someone can help me out (serious medical memory issues, apologies in advance) ... was Tim (the paramedic they killed off) the guy who was generally seen chatting with ... I guess it was Michelle? ... in the previous season? He'd usually be wearing a blue jumpsuit? I knew he was familiar but couldn't quite pin where we'd seen him and I thought the character's name was Jim. 

Finally ... and I know this is a totally wacko theory ... but I wonder if they haven't gone completely "out there" with these S2 outlandish disaster scenarios to hopefully ensure they don't actually come too close to "real life" for comfort ... imagine, a season or two ago, if they'd had some crazy virus unleashed and killing off everyone, we'd be pooh-poohing it and accusing the writers of ripping of Stephen King. 

• Love 2

People who don't smile while petting a cat might make bad homes for cats, so I give her a pass on seeming happy about having the cat around. I wanted the reassurance that she liked the cat and wasn't just doing it out of guilt. Most families who like cats already have them!

22 hours ago, meira.hand said:

I like her so much that I learned her name: Grace. I still don't know the names for most of the characters on this show.

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I like her so much that I learned her name: Grace. I still don't know the names for most of the characters on this show.

Yes Grace is my favorite. Grace, Judd, Gina Torres, Rob Lowe, RL's son, gorgeous young lady with the hidden gorgeous hair, the black firefighter, the firefighter who is not RL's son, the paramedic with the eyelashes, the paramedic who died 😟, RL's call girl turned ex wife.

I'm bad with names 😂

Edited by GodsBeloved
  • LOL 5
On 1/26/2021 at 4:38 PM, shapeshifter said:
On 1/26/2021 at 4:35 PM, meira.hand said:

That's my daughter! 

Just realized I should have specified that my oldest daughter is a 911 operator who is "calm, efficient, resourceful & creative no matter what is thrown at her."
She is not an actor!

• Love 5

I knew she would take the cat. Point for me, haha 😉

Unless we see the cat again, we don't know that Vega actually took it. She may have just been feeding it, and it may yet be on its way to a shelter.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2021 at 12:07 PM, preeya said:

What the hell were the writers thinking?  This episode was so far away from anything real it was absurd.

I see the "writers" are no longer satisfied with just making this show horrifically stupid, and are now determined to make it full-on horrific. (That sequence turning the pool into Chad Soup made me physically recoil, too; and then it made me angry -- mostly at myself for watching it.)

Gina Torres is too good for this dreck.

Points taken off for the anvillicious use of Jeff Buckley's cover (which I kind of detest now, for lazy tv music producers' over-reliance on it).

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 3

When the lava started glowing through the crack in the bottom of the pool, my immediate thought was the instantaneous steam explosion probably would have leveled the block and definitely would have cooked all the teens in that backyard party, not just the one doing the backwards dive into the pool.

• Love 3