Type keyword(s) to search

Bling Empire - General Discussion

MCMLXXVII
  • Start Topic

On 1/16/2021 at 9:04 PM, JocelynCavanaugh said:

Cool of her to shame her husband publicly about it, but if it were just him and she’s fine, why not have IUI instead of IVF?

My theory is that they had IVF so they could get make embryos to freeze and genetically test to ensure that they were pregnant with a boy. On option of doing IVF is to get embryos tested to see if they were chromosomally normal, and as part of that process, they also tell you the sex of the embryos. It's not by accident that the two embryos left in the deep freezer were girls, considering how much of an importance Christine said her in-laws place on male heirs continuing the line. I also think that she has no interest in having a girl because she wants to be the queen bee in the family. 

On 1/23/2021 at 4:01 PM, biakbiak said:

He went to Penn Charter which in 2013 the year he graduated had a total pk-12 th grade enrollment of 940 there don’t appear to be older demographics but for 2020-2021 the entire school is only 4% Asian*. It wouldn’t be shocking that the numbers were even smaller percentage when he started/graduated. 

*It also notably doesn’t break up this number by more specific ethnicities as many schools do. Though go into great detail about their zip code/geographic diversity.

That's what they do when the number of a race/ethnic group is too small. Dividing it up between Hmong, Cambodians, Chinese, etc. would possibly identify individual people...

On 1/29/2021 at 4:38 PM, LibertarianSlut said:

I think Christine is a necessary foil to create a little drama with Anna.  I loved the Anna/Christine disagreement about the oldest jeweler in Paris, because both women clearly had a serious opinion on this matter.  I also loved when Christine noticed Anna’s Dior and asked if it was this season.  Toto, we’re not in Real Housewives of New York City anymore, where two women are arguing about whether one knows where the social register is located—this is real wealth!

Oh it was even better than that. Christine then asked if it was "ready to wear" (as opposed to a custom piece that was "made to measure" [custom tailored] or "bespoke" [made with specifications with the client, completely customizable]) and then when Anna said it was, Christine was all, oh it fits so nice... the SHADE of it all!! hahaha

I'm on episode 6 when Kevin and the DJ lady go look for her dad. Not super interested. Give me the over the top parties and richy people doing rich things. I was surprised at how touch I was by Kane and Cheri praying for her mom. It must have been really hard for Cheri to lose her mom to a devastating disease like pancreatic cancer, especially while pregnant.

I think Kevin is a little dopey, but hot and I enjoy looking at him.  Anna is so awesome and I would love to see more Christine over the top crazy. I live in Los Angeles as well and I keep wondering what preschool she's trying to get into so I can make sure that I stay far away from it. lol I always give reality shows based in LA an extra chance as it's nice to see restaurants and places I'm familiar with. I also felt a little wistful at looking at places like the Santa Monica Children's Museum which they shut down for Baby G's birthday - I went to the museum when my daughter was a 4 months in Dec 2019 and haven't been back since.  I thought I'd be going on a monthly basis. Sigh. 

Edited by loki310
formatting and more info
  • Useful 1

One of my favorite books is called DeLuxe, about the history and development of the luxury goods brands. By the 90s most luxury goods stopped being “luxury” or “couture” and became poorly made, branded goods. That’s what this show reeked of. When Kane brought out the carbon fiber Channel ping pong paddles, that probably cost hundreds of dollars for $1 worth of materials and labor. It’s fascinating that people can get so caught up in the wealth game that they see themselves as superior to others, when the reality is that corporations view them as “dumb marks” to be taken advantage of. When Christine remarks about Vegas offering jets for rich Asians, why does she think that is? Because Vegas knows they’ll make way more money in the long run off of her. Or when rich people celebrate their wealth with “Gatsby-esque” themed parties, none have ever actually read F Scott Fitzgerald, or know he grew up in high society, and wrote in utter disdain of the kinds of people in his novels. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
48 minutes ago, Stan39 said:

One of my favorite books is called DeLuxe, about the history and development of the luxury goods brands. By the 90s most luxury goods stopped being “luxury” or “couture” and became poorly made, branded goods. That’s what this show reeked of. When Kane brought out the carbon fiber Channel ping pong paddles, that probably cost hundreds of dollars for $1 worth of materials and labor. It’s fascinating that people can get so caught up in the wealth game that they see themselves as superior to others, when the reality is that corporations view them as “dumb marks” to be taken advantage of. When Christine remarks about Vegas offering jets for rich Asians, why does she think that is? Because Vegas knows they’ll make way more money in the long run off of her. Or when rich people celebrate their wealth with “Gatsby-esque” themed parties, none have ever actually read F Scott Fitzgerald, or know he grew up in high society, and wrote in utter disdain of the kinds of people in his novels. 

Thanks for the book recommendation! 

• Love 3
On 2/17/2021 at 12:58 PM, loki310 said:

That's what they do when the number of a race/ethnic group is too small. Dividing it up between Hmong, Cambodians, Chinese, etc. would possibly identify individual people...

I am aware which is why I used it as a point to say there are reasons he said what he said and arguing about the amount of the Chinese population, he is Korean is ludicrous. Those numbers are also in 2019 not a decade earlier when he went.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
(edited)

Just watched this show. Seems fake but was something to watch. Not bad.

Anna is my fave. She prob has some crazy stories.

Guy and Kim throwing the penis pump wasn’t funny at all. So annoying and stupid.

Andrew is fucked up. Something is off about him. If Kelly and Andrew stay together he will hit her I think. He’s gradually building up to doing it.

Kevin is an idiot. His obsession with Kelly was annoying. She’s not into him and his pestering is weird and annoying. Why did he have no good bdays either? I get maybe not having lavish bdays but he apparently had a good childhood so why was all his bdays so shitty. His surprise bday party was kind of lame too.

Edited by Marley
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Marley said:

Just watched this show. Seems fake but was something to watch. Not bad.

Anna is my fave. She prob has some crazy stories.

Guy and Kim throwing the penis pump wasn’t funny at all. So annoying and stupid.

Andrew is fucked up. Something is off about him. If Kelly and Andrew stay together he will hit her I think. He’s gradually building up to doing it.

Kevin is an idiot. His obsession with Kelly was annoying. She’s not into him and his pestering is weird and annoying. Why did he have no good bdays either? I get maybe not having lavish bdays but he apparently had a good childhood so why was al his bdays so shitty. His surprise bday party was kind of lame too.

I think Kevin is taking on the Cameron role from Southern Charm. Act like you’re the normal, typical person the viewer is supposed to relate to and pretend like everybody around you are crazy, but you’re just a simple, humble person. I think it’s completely fake. Obviously, Kevin does just fine for himself. He may not be rich, but he’s certainly not struggling like a lot of LA models/actors trying to make it out there. It doesn’t even seem like he’s pretending to be a waiter or bartender or have a real job to pay the bills. Ironically, his attempts to brand himself an Everyman make him the least interesting to me because I don’t believe anything that comes out of his mouth. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5

I've only watched the first two episodes of S2 so far.  It's still entertaining but some of the drama seems forced like Kevin and Kim dating (but not really), and Anna being super bitter and aggressive with Christine.

I'm sad to hear that Cherie and Jessey decided to leave the show and aren't in it past episode 2 apparently.  I guess I understand, since their "storyline" was super gossipy and probably not something they wanted as public knowledge, seeing as how none of the main group knew about it.

• Love 5

What the heck happened to Kane? So obnoxious and gossipy. He should've apologized to Kevin for stirring up drama just for TV. What the heck was going on with Christine's mad sobbing? Was it really so important to her that Ana take her seriously? I am still not a fan of Kim Lee. The Ana + Jaime team up was weird. Jaime has expensive clothes but she doesn't look good in them. She's a walking instagram live. I hope Cherie's family wasn't too scandalized.

Anyone know what the scandal is involving Kane's family?

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Just finished episode 6 and I don't really understand why Kevin is apologizing to Kane and why everyone seems to be backing any part of Kane's argument.  Maybe I'm not rich enough to understand the nuances but...Kevin apparently went to an event, met a woman and slept with her weeks or a month before going on his date with Kim.  So how is Kane revealing this information "protecting" Kim?  If Kevin did what he did AFTER the date then sure, all bets are off and I wouldn't have a problem with someone telling Kim about it.  But this happened prior to anything between Kevin and Kim so...why does it really matter to Kane?

21 hours ago, Adgirl said:

What the heck happened to Kane? So obnoxious and gossipy.

Agreed.  He's ramped it up 1000% this season and it's not a good look (along with his overdone plastic surgery).

• Love 6

I know it's a stupid "reality" show but the Kevin and Kim stuff is so ridiculous. He owes her literally nothing in terms of explaining his actions with that other woman he hooked up with. Is he supposed to be a monk while she strings him along? He also needs to just move on to someone else. This is like a high school relationship.

This show could be an advertisement for the dangers of too much plastic surgery.

• Love 3

With the exception of Anna Shay, none of these people are interesting enough to warrant being featured on a reality show.

This season should've stayed in the can. 

I really hope that this show is scripted because if this is really how life is like for them, then I don't know what to say. For a cast that has an obscene amount of wealth, again, not including Anna Shay, they were boring. Jaime, while she seems like a nice person, is robotic. There's no there ... there. Even when she shops she looks stilted. 

Kevin and Kim HAD to be fake. If not, then his self-esteem is truly in the toilet. She stood him up on their dinner date, was avoiding him until he mentioned it, but then she agreed to go on a road trip? So, you're scared of going to dinner, but have no qualms about being in a car for hours and spending the weekend away with Kevin? Make it make sense. 

I also didn't get what he saw in Kim. Besides attractiveness, she isn't witty, charming, or funny. But then again, she seems to be on the same emotional intelligence level as Kevin, so maybe that's what they have in common. They're both 16 intellectually and emotionally. 

The highlight of the season was Anna dressing down Christine in the finale. Christine crying to Kane (with no tears) about Anna threatening to "end her," and Anna being like, girl, you don't even exist to me, made me cackle. Anna has paid Christine dust since last season, but Christine is trying so hard to get Anna's approval. 

The only interesting potential storyline was Cherie and Jessy. There must've clearly been some truth to the rumor since they stopped filming. Cherie seems like a lovely person, so it was rough to see her picking out her own ring in the first episode. Girl, Jessy isn't walking down the aisle anytime soon. This is the prime example of what happens when you try to force things. You just end up looking foolish. 

Mimi and her tacky house and husband weren't necessary. I FF'd their talk about him peeing sitting down and the blinged out toilet he got made. Yawn.

While I liked Dorothy on Rich Kids of Beverly Hills, she wasn't needed on this show. She was barely in any episodes, so I don't know why we were supposed to care about her moving to New York. However, seeing how badly Kane came off this season, I completely understand why she doesn't fuck with him. Jamie was also an asshole for inviting him to their lunch and blindsiding Dorothy. I mean, I'm sure it was producer driven, but still. 

Instead of this Kim bullshit, I would've been more interested in seeing Kevin revive his career in the modeling world since he's aging out of the business (although he doesn't look like he's in late 30's at all), or pivoting to something else. He's an attractive man, but he's so damn silly that it's hard to root for him. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3

I kept wondering why Jamie walked so stilted and odd.  I finally noticed her shoes and it all made sense.  She could not walk in her shoes without making those strange movements.  

(edited)

I'm almost through Season 2. I've been stressed out lately so this is exactly the kind of mindless entertainment I needed.

Christine really needs to stop calling her kid Baby G. It's a great way for him to get beaten up at whatever rich person Montessori pre-school he winds up in. I actually felt some sympathy for her when she was discussing her grief over her Mom, but for the most part she leaves me cold.

I like Kane, he's generally fun and light-hearted, but he got the annoying shit-stirrer edit this season. He needs to keep his trap shut, and he REALLY needs to lay off the cosmetic surgery - he's starting to look like Anna. I'm curious as to what kind of scandal his family is embroiled in, but am too lazy to research it.

I liked Anna's other house - it seemed to have more character. Her new one is a similar Mediterranean style, but blander and tackier.

Mimi and the ancient doddering dude with the bad dye job she's married to - what's his deal? Where did his money come from?

What is the point of Jamie? She's a complete non-entity - absolutely NO personality whatsoever. Just a wind-up automaton who tries on outfits and takes selfies. No wonder her date bailed as quickly as he possibly could. It wouldn't surprise me if she pulled her face off and it was full of electrical circuits.

Dorothy seems like a major beeyotch.

Dear Kevin: Kim is just not that into you. Let it go.

Edited by Cheezwiz
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 5/22/2022 at 9:32 AM, Sheenieb said:

Girl, Jessy isn't walking down the aisle anytime soon. This is the prime example of what happens when you try to force things. You just end up looking foolish. 

Turns out they got married September 2021 in a "secret" wedding. I do like her, she was my fave so I'm bummed it was so gossipy that it caused them to stop filming. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, hatchetgirl said:

Turns out they got married September 2021 in a "secret" wedding. I do like her, she was my fave so I'm bummed it was so gossipy that it caused them to stop filming. 

But was it a legal one?

• Love 1

I am just watching Season 2 now and Anna has got to stop with the fillers, her face is huge.  I also noticed that she does not have anyone in her home past the foyer, she trots them out to her pool to talk, why?  Her extensions are horrible, she often has what looks like some sort of twin with her with equally bad extensions and fillers, do we know who that is?   Also, I would NEVER get in a car that Anna was driving.  Also, what is the bandaid on her face hiding?

The girl with the red hair and that Kevin have no chemistry at all. Does Kevin have a day job?

Kane is awful, I could not spend more than a few minutes in his presence...he wants to be so special but he is not and enough with the fillers.

On 6/24/2022 at 5:43 PM, Ciarrai said:

Jamie is the most boring person. No personality whatsoever and the biggest case of RBF I have ever seen.

100% 

I cannot remember the rest of the cast's names but if I had to live my life one upping everyone else like they do, I'd be on meds.

That one woman who was checking out the cemetery, her outfit was was laughable, none of the women ever looks comfortable in their outfits.

• Love 4
(edited)

They really brought back super verbally abusive Andrew? Wow! Dude is talking the “therapy speak” but I don’t trust him. Good for Kelly for leaving the party. 

Edited by MCMLXXVII
  • Love 4
On 6/24/2022 at 2:43 PM, Ciarrai said:

Jamie is the most boring person. No personality whatsoever and the biggest case of RBF I have ever seen.

I'm watching Season 3 E3 and what the FUCK with that giant, feathered monstrosity Jamie was wearing.  She is my definition of one-dimensional, both in personality and body type.  Her body is like that of a stick insect (there's thin and then there's THIN), and the only thing in life that interests her is shopping.  Yawn.

Kane is the biggest shit-stirrer and liar ever.  I'm sure someone that's not Rihanna is sending him texts as Rihanna because there's no way in hell Kane's face will become the face of Fenty.  And if I'm wrong, I'll eat my hat.

Forgot to mention this but, as someone on the show mentioned, Kim Lee really is a loud person, and her laughter is more of a screeching cackle.  I can see where that could be annoying to some people.  Also, I wish I was as zen as Anna.  Her temperament is foreign to me as I suffer from anxiety.  I really like Anna.

Edited by Oosala
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

OK, now I get it.  Fenty simply air brushed Kane's ridiculous cheek fillers away.  Now I can accept him being there and I stand corrected.

I'm on a later episode now and I'm LMFAO.  Stoopid Kevin just bought his first new car, drove it out of the dealership, and 10 MINUTES LATER got into a big accident (his fault) and is being issued a citation.  You can't make this shit up.  He's such a damn fake and he's so dumb.  I'm going to re-watch the hell out of this.  What a stooge.  Does he even have car insurance yet?  I don't think you can buy a new car without proof of car insurance.

Edited by Oosala
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Jaime is empty headed and useless.  She doesn't eat.  She lives for fashion.  She is lucky she is rich.  I have no idea what she would do with herself if she could not shop all day every day.  She is so materialistic.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

On Episode 4. Howling at Jamie's ridiculous nose ring. It looks like she has a sparkly booger hanging from her nose.

Kevin is an immature dolt, but I kind of can't blame him for feeling peeved that Kane got a major modeling campaign with Fenty. I get that brands hire celebs for the personality/recognizability factor, but I mean Kanereally?

Malibu Air B&B mansion decor: "what Renaissance is this?" 

I'm only watching for the sheer ridiculousness.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 11/5/2022 at 1:40 PM, Cheezwiz said:

Kevin is an immature dolt, but I kind of can't blame him for feeling peeved that Kane got a major modeling campaign with Fenty. I get that brands hire celebs for the personality/recognizability factor, but I mean Kane

I was wondering why Kevin was even mad since he doesn’t wear makeup? I could see him being competitive over something like Ralph Lauren or other typical cis/straight male focused modeling jobs. Then I was reminded that Fenty has men’s underwear in the lingerie branch.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, MCMLXXVII said:

I was wondering why Kevin was even mad since he doesn’t wear makeup? I could see him being competitive over something like Ralph Lauren or other typical cis/straight male focused modeling jobs.

I think it's more a case that Kevin has been going through lean times financially and pouring his energy into trying to get a modeling career going for years. Out of nowhere Kane (who is already independently wealthy and doesn't need the money at all) gets a huge campaign without lifting a finger. That's really gotta sting - especially since Kane has never expressed any interest in being a model. 

I guess if I were in Keven's place I would do my best to be  supportive and congratulatory, but OUCH.

• Like 5
  • Love 4

I thought the LA people were over-the-top, but Good God. I hope Dorothy isn't supposed to be the proxy character for the audience, because she is so unlikeable. Her influencer friend is surprisingly tolerable so far. I liked some of the couture she was wearing in Paris.

Why does the Queen Bee (married to the uber-wealthy dude from Taiwan) who is originally from Mexico sound like she has an indeterminate European accent?

I'm fascinated by some of the fashions, but I've only sat through one episode, and these people are beyond absurd.

• Like 5
45 minutes ago, KeeperOfTheIce said:

Why is it that the more wealth people have the uglier they are - the personality, sense of style, entitlement etc etc etc??? 

Very true. I honestly think extreme wealth (by that I mean multi-millions and billions) really warps people psychologically. It's like once people surpass the amount of money needed for a comfortable living for themselves and their families - a nice home, vehicles, clothing, vacations, access to great education, the more disconnected and weird they become.

Once you have enough money to snap your fingers and instantly get whatever you want, I think you lose a sense of purpose, and also empathy - other people become objects or a means to an end. Maybe that's why so many insanely wealthy people become power-hungy - it's like pent up energy that needs to go somewhere and gets misdirected. I really think excess (as opposed to comfortable abundance) makes people awful.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
22 hours ago, LakeGal said:

I am on episode 3 and I can't stand Dorothy.  She is so unlikeable.  

She is not remotely likeable - I can't believe she was selected as the "headliner" for this iteration of the franchise. Surprisingly, although I'm programmed to loathe all social media "influencer" types, I'm actually liking Tina so far - it looks like she takes what she's doing seriously. The rest of them are varying shades of awful, with the exception of Blake, who so far seems like a nice dude (Keep it up Blake! Vancouver represent!).

I'm wondering if I should start a separate thread for this show. Is it even worth it? There are a lot of episodes, and I can't stop watching for some reason.

• Like 1
On 10/25/2022 at 2:02 PM, LakeGal said:

Jaime is empty headed and useless.  She doesn't eat.  She lives for fashion.  She is lucky she is rich.  I have no idea what she would do with herself if she could not shop all day every day.  She is so materialistic.

What exactly is her purpose in life? How is she rich? I’m assuming family money like Dorothy? She is one unfortunate looking girl for sure and her “fashion” just makes her look worse. I wouldn’t say she has RBF, but her face actually does look like it hurts. 

On 1/17/2021 at 6:03 PM, MCMLXXVII said:

I knew I recognized Kevin and it was from this video discussed on FB awhile back! My friend group determined that he was likely only  trying to date white women- thus the disappointment- and side-eyed the heck out of him.

Any Asian man will tell you that Asian (Western) girls often only date white guys and use the "you remind me of my brother" as the excuse/reason. 

Edited by anonymiss

Anna Shay dies at age 62

Anna Shay, who appeared in Netflix’s “Bling Empire” reality show, has died after suffering a stroke, Variety has confirmed. She was 62.

“It saddens our hearts to announce that Anna Shay, a loving mother, grandmother, charismatic star, and our brightest ray of sunshine, has passed away at the early age of 62 from a stroke. Anna taught us many life lessons on how not to take life too seriously and to enjoy the finer things. Her impact on our lives will be forever missed but never forgotten,” her family wrote in a statement to Variety on Monday.

Shay was born and raised in Japan to American businessman Edward Shay and half-Japanese, half-Russian Ai Oizumi Shay. Her father was the founder of the global defense contractor Pacific Architects and Engineers.

Screenshot_20230605-152041.png

• Sad 4
On 5/22/2022 at 9:32 AM, Sheenieb said:

Mimi and her tacky house and husband weren't necessary. I FF'd their talk about him peeing sitting down and the blinged out toilet he got made. Yawn.

Yeah, that toilet.  So cool to be able to accidentally piss and shit on diamonds.

On 5/22/2022 at 10:05 PM, Cheezwiz said:

What is the point of Jamie? She's a complete non-entity - absolutely NO personality whatsoever. Just a wind-up automaton who tries on outfits and takes selfies.

Jamie is useless, except as someone to tag along with Anna.  And that other woman, Marie I think is her name.  Regarding the bandage on Anna's cheek, it could be covering a scar from a skin biopsy.  My aunt used to get those all of the time.

It never ceases to amaze me all these strange healers and shamans and medicinal herb purveyors and strange therapies these folks pay probably A LOT of money to have.  But then I remember they're not part of the Western Medicine Mandate and so it actually makes a lot of sense.  That and having money to burn.

I'm re-watching the whole L.A. series and I'm almost to the greatest episode of all -- fucking Kevin totally his brand new car.  Since I know this is coming, I'm also noticing that Kevin wasn't driving a car prior to that episode.  He's getting around on a skateboard.  Earlier, he did drive.  Wonder if he got his license suspended or something.  Not an accusation; strictly a guess.

• Like 2
On 5/22/2022 at 11:15 AM, Rorysmom said:

Maybe they are setting up Dorothy to a Bling Empire NYC? Aieeeeeee!!!!!

Oh my god, you totally called this!  Congratulations on your mad prediction skillz.  Amazing.

• Love 1