Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Now in Color

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Sentient World Observation and Response Department, it's the Extra-Terrestrial counterpart to S.H.I.E.L.D.

Business is picking up. So was Geraldine mentioning Ultron a mistake, or did she mean to do that?

I think Geraldine was screwed by the circumstance.  When Wanda gets distracted or melacholy, her control loosens slightly.  When the stork started showing up and making noise, Geraldine's tone and demeanor change.  She's focused, alert looking for possible threats.  Then she goes back into the 70s "jive" person.

When Wanda mentions Pietro, her control loosens again.  It loosens just enough for Geraldine to connect Ultron to Pietro, but not enough to allow her full recollection and allow her to actually talk to Wanda and fully connect with her.  When Wanda demanded "Who are you" Geraldine in that moment probably didn't actually know who she was.

One truly scary thing to consider is that Wanda booting Geraldine was mercy and restraint.  And likely the only reason Geraldine got that mercy and restraint was because she helped Wanda deliver the babies.  So Geraldine was ejected and sent back outside.  Instead of being transformed into a still-alive painting next to the stork or suffering some other horrific fate that could be inflicted by someone who can do all that Wanda can do.

As for Anges and Herb asking about Geraldine, I think they were worried about, but I also think they were deeply concerned for her.  Because the absolute worst place to be in Westview is in the presence of the Mad Goddess who rules it.

• Love 7

Another Brady Bunch reference: the doll on which Vision was practicing changing a diaper was Cindy Brady’s Kitty Carryall.

Oh, I see someone else just mentioned the same thing!

Edited by jcin617
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

With all these hexagons and the trippy storyline, how cool would it be if Legion showed up? "Sorry- I must have stepped onto the wrong set."

I haven't seen it mentioned here (unless I missed it) but it looked to me like the "set" WandaVision takes place on is some kind of prison or otherwise man-made enclosure. I saw what appeared to be inward facing stadium-style lighting. Could Wanda be being held captive (maybe for the good of humanity) by SWORD (or some other military/government agency) rather than a nefarious villain?

• Love 1

In one trailer for the show, at the 1:05 mark Geraldine/Monica is shown being thrown out of Westview in daylight and as she crosses the barrier into the regular world it's suddenly night. In the episode itself, there's only the real world side shot.

• Useful 1
19 minutes ago, arc said:

In one trailer for the show, at the 1:05 mark Geraldine/Monica is shown being thrown out of Westview in daylight and as she crosses the barrier into the regular world it's suddenly night. In the episode itself, there's only the real world side shot.

I noticed that. There’s always the possibility that we’ll see more of what happened in a future episode. I’m curious how much of the real world side of things we are going to see. I’m expecting and hoping that will play a bigger role in the next few episodes. 

1 hour ago, Cthulhudrew said:

I haven't seen it mentioned here (unless I missed it) but it looked to me like the "set" WandaVision takes place on is some kind of prison or otherwise man-made enclosure. I saw what appeared to be inward facing stadium-style lighting. Could Wanda be being held captive (maybe for the good of humanity) by SWORD (or some other military/government agency) rather than a nefarious villain?

I think anything is possible but the barrier itself looked magical. I thought the lights were to define where the barrier was since it seemed to fluctuate some. 

19 hours ago, festivus said:

I loved having the Brady Bunch style with Vision practicing diapers on Kitty Karry-All and then having things turning so menacing at the end to Davy Jones. I'm not even trying to figure everything* out, just enjoying the ride. 

Geraldine's outfit was much more Carol Brady than Wanda's and I am here for it. She looked awesome. *I was trying to figure out if the fish have any meaning or if she's just stylish as hell.

I thought they were there for the visual joke of the stork trying to eat the fish. TP was definitely rocking the look and pulling off the bright blue eye shadow. 

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, swanpride said:

The stork looked awfully fake btw.

Well in the first episode all of the floating stuff in the kitchen looked like it was hanging from strings (which made sense for a 50's show) so I am not sure if the storm should have looked real or not.

• Love 1
On 1/22/2021 at 5:00 AM, phalange said:

Things are starting to unravel now. The doctor talks about not being able to escape, Herb was in some weird trance, and he and Agnes seem to know they're trapped, though they don't want Vision to know for some reason. I think we're supposed to think they're the bad guys, but I'm not so sure. Even Vision realizes something is off. I think Geraldine showed up on that helicopter and when it crashed, that caused her to forget who she is and why she was sent in. But as soon as Wanda mentions Pietro she starts to remember. 

I agree. I didn't think she sounded like someone trying to get through to Wanda via the mention of Pietro, but more like the mention of him made her recall a previous conversation with Wanda or a file she's read about Wanda. 

On 1/22/2021 at 7:22 AM, Linny said:

Vision quoting "all the world's a stage" sure doesn't feel like a coincidence. Herb and Agnes are definitely actors playing their parts, though why they came close to revealing themselves to Vision, I don't understand. Wanda still seems to have sole control over this construct (rewinding Vision when he mentioned the weirdness of their situation, forcefully expelling Geraldine after the Ultron comment), so maybe Agnes and Herb are being held hostage here to perpetuate the fantasy. 

The symbol on Geraldine's necklace matches the symbol shown at the end of episode one (when the camera pulled out and revealed someone watching WandaVision--it's on the notebook the person's holding). That necklace seemed to be as much of a trigger for Wanda as the reference to Ultron and Pietro. I wonder if perhaps the necklace was a reminder to Wanda that this reality isn't authentic; she turned quite sinister, quite quickly at removing Geraldine, all in order to return to her serene family moment with Vision.

That line was very deliberate! I've wondered if Wanda wasn't working with Sword and maybe they were doing some training type stuff with her to see how powerful she really is, and this is the result. She could have met people like "Geraldine", Mrs Hart, etc as Sword scientists, doctors, agents, etc and now has them all trapped in this reality. Sort of like Wizard of Oz, except that Wanda has the people actually stuck in the real world and not just her head. But then I'm not sure how Agnes and "Ralph" fit in, because it seems that Wanda is also being manipulated by outside bad forces, or Sword likely wouldn't be trying to reach Wanda ("who did this to you?", sending in "Geraldine"). This all probably belongs in the speculation thread so maybe I'll carry it over there. 

13 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Someone called Hydra as the commercial this week, going through Wanda's life/journey.

So next week should somehow tie into Ultron and the destruction of Sokovia, I'd guess. This commercial felt more like a reference to the end credits scene where we first see Wanda and Pietro. 

12 hours ago, arc said:

Wanda can be seriously scary. I'd be in favor of the Sokovia Accords now, except that government regulation for superhumans as powerful as Wanda are basically voluntary on their part.

I've wondered about the status of the Accords post Endgame. Is she still considered a criminal? Is she in a facility somewhere and this is partially the result? Was Sword called in to help when it all went haywire? 

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

I've wondered about the status of the Accords post Endgame. Is she still considered a criminal? Is she in a facility somewhere and this is partially the result? Was Sword called in to help when it all went haywire?

Well, I would have liked the end of Endgame showing Secretary Douchebag Ross getting his long-deserved comeuppance in the form of Professor Hulk blackmailing him into dropping the Accords and exonerating them instead of him randomly showing up at Tony’s funeral after everything he did to them, but OH NO, the Russos would rather have that stupid ending with Steve going back in time....

Yeah, I’m still bitter, so what?

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, swanpride said:

The stork should have been real, because back then, they would have used a real stork or a puppet. Since they went for CGI, it shouldn't have looked that fake.

I'm sure the thing attempting to nibble or her pants was a puppet.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Dani said:

Did anyone else find the baby side-eye at Geraldine unusual and creepy? 

YES! That was so creepy. The baby's eyes are so bright blue too and that made it even creepier. 

13 hours ago, festivus said:

*I was trying to figure out if the fish have any meaning or if she's just stylish as hell.

Me too. But I think it was just so the stork would be attracted to it.

16 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I’ve had Daydream Believer stuck in my head since watching the episode and it’s kinda starting to creep me out 🙂   

Same. It is unsettling lol.

• Love 4

This episode would have been worth it just for the opening credits! They probably spent more time and money filming the opening credits than other sitcoms spend on an entire episode.

I loved the 70s decor and clothes because they were done so well. I was definitely getting flashbacks to reruns of the Brady Bunch.

Fun fact: the original staircase from the Brady Bunch was reused as the Wolfram and Hart staircase on S5 of Angel.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8

Having watched the ep again. I now think Agnes stopped Herb from telling Vision the truth because she felt Wanda's anger and she didn't want to be part of her wrath. I still think she's involved somehow but I think she also fears Wanda's powers. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I wonder who the poor people are that are stuck inside the commercials. Lol

There is speculation floating around that the man and the woman in the commercials might be Wanda's adoptive Sokovian parents. While the focus has been on Vision's death(s) and on Pietro's as the trauma causing Wanda's break from reality, we tend to forget that two ten year old kids watched their parents deaths. It wouldn't be surprising for Wanda to re-create her parents in her warped pocket reality. (And yes, I'm aware of who the father of Wanda and Pietro is in comic book canon.)

15 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I was a little surprised that Geraldine got ejected in the same clothes she was wearing. Since she doesn't have a house, I am also assuming that she doesn't have a closet as well.

Or, they want us to know that things from inside Wanda's reality can be transported to the outside world.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

I really enjoyed this episode. And it was so 70's with the opening credits.

I have a question about SWORD, if they are a space agency why are they evolved, is it because SHIELD is dismantled or is SHIELD dismantled? 

I wonder how long the babies will stay babies?

The whole hiding the belly and trying to keep the stork from being discovered when it's sees fish on pants and tries to grab one is so Bewitched. Remember Aunt Clara would always, by mistake poof something and Samantha would have to hide it from guest or her nosy neighbor?

So if Geraldine didn't have a house why would she show up asking for a bucket because of broken pipes? And where does she go at night? And where does she get her clothes, do they come when the decade changes? But if she doesn't have a house do they just pop on her? I do think talking about Wanda being a twin woke her because when Wanda asked her who she was and why she was there it looked like she was going to say she didn't know but got cut off.

Now it looks like we're going to see some of the outside world. 

I loved the screen change at the end that was a really cool effect to bring us into the outside world. So I wonder if that will continue when we're in the sitcom our screen will be one size and when we're out it will be another?

• Love 7

I'm wondering if Wanda manifested the twin because Vision missed the birth of the first baby. Then even with the doctor in the next room, he delivers the second baby all by himself. 

I'm confused about the doctor. He's all set to go to Bermuda, to the point that his wife is waiting in the car before the babies are born, then after he seems resigned that he has to stay and can't "escape". 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Jenniferbug said:

I'm wondering if Wanda manifested the twin because Vision missed the birth of the first baby. Then even with the doctor in the next room, he delivers the second baby all by himself. 

I'm confused about the doctor. He's all set to go to Bermuda, to the point that his wife is waiting in the car before the babies are born, then after he seems resigned that he has to stay and can't "escape". 

It's certainly possible, although I think they telegraphed the intention of twins via their little disagreement about names.  So her delusional mind may have been made up earlier, when that name disagreement happened.  Or may have always been the plan, because as she said, she herself was a twin and while real biology means a twin doesn't usually have twins the next generation, we're dealing with a fractured mind that's trying to heal or replace everything wrong in her own life: ergo twin babies.

If there IS an outside force pushing this I wonder if they planned on twins, or if that was Wanda's special extra contribution.  It could go both ways. It's telling that the phrase "for the children" was plural, but if someone was looking just to harness Wanda's own powers into an even more pliable replacement, then one might have been all that was expected or required.

As for the Doctor, the excuse used was that his car wouldn't start.  They established that when Vision went and got him.  Likely that car would NEVER start, or something would divert the car back home.  Or time would jump again and the actual vacation would be in a gap the poor man never actually got to experience. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

So if Geraldine didn't have a house why would she show up asking for a bucket because of broken pipes? And where does she go at night? And where does she get her clothes, do they come when the decade changes? But if she doesn't have a house do they just pop on her? I do think talking about Wanda being a twin woke her because when Wanda asked her who she was and why she was there it looked like she was going to say she didn't know but got cut off.

I loved the screen change at the end that was a really cool effect to bring us into the outside world. So I wonder if that will continue when we're in the sitcom our screen will be one size and when we're out it will be another?

Maybe Agnes and Herb notice that she doesn't have a home or a family (or a job?) because they're at least somewhat aware of what's going on/part of it but Geraldine herself wasn't? 

She probably crashed in that helicopter and then suddenly found herself at Dottie's suburban autocrat session. She may have been dressed for the 60s if SWORD is monitoring everything and prepped her but she probably didn't pack for a perfect 70s outfit as well. Unless she's coming and going and always looses who she is when she returns every day? 

Geraldine clearly believed she had a job and was given a promotion for saving her boss and enjoyed telling her story to Wanda. Is that some wacky thing that happened with Agent Woo and she's unknowingly repurposing it? In Ant-Man he struck me as someone who could get into ridiculous situations at work.

She's a real person so she shouldn't just fade in and out of existence until it's time to interact with Wanda - we see Dottie and Phil at home and clearly WestView is an actual physical place, albeit at the moment somehow held hostage. I'm assuming some who are more aware know about the decade changes and others don't question it and it just happens like colour suddenly spreading to everything. 

If she's not leaving WestView everyday to go back to the SWORD compound and forgetting everything on arriving back, actually doesn't have a home, isn't fading in and out of existence, doesn't actually have a job and really doesn't remember who she is then I've got nothing. If she was aware she's Monica and couldn't just leave I'd say she had a secret home base somewhere but she really didn't seem to. 

I'd say Agnes and Herb were trying so sew suspicion about the "opposition" but the tone didn't strike me as pure manipulation, there was genuine concern there, though how that fits in is another thing entirely. 

Edited by Featherhat
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Or may have always been the plan, because as she said, she herself was a twin and while real biology means a twin doesn't usually have twins the next generation, we're dealing with a fractured mind that's trying to heal or replace everything wrong in her own life: ergo twin babies.

Fraternal twins can skip a generation but that wouldn’t apply in Wanda’s situation. It happens when a male twin is a carrier of the gene. 

16 minutes ago, Kromm said:

As for the Doctor, the excuse used was that his car wouldn't start.  They established that when Vision went and got him.  Likely that car would NEVER start, or something would divert the car back home.  Or time would jump again and the actual vacation would be in a gap the poor man never actually got to experience. 

One of the more interesting aspects of this episode for me is how everyone seems to be realizing and acknowledging that things aren’t normal. The wheels are coming off and the sitcom veneer is cracking. 

3 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

So if Geraldine didn't have a house why would she show up asking for a bucket because of broken pipes? And where does she go at night? And where does she get her clothes, do they come when the decade changes? But if she doesn't have a house do they just pop on her?

Since the house Wanda and Vision live in has changed for every episode, in addition to their wardrobes, maybe that's just part and parcel of the rest of it. Because Agnes' hairstyle was different this time, and I think Herb's was as well. I'd have to rewatch to make sure about him, though. Even if Geraldine really didn't have a house or a closet, the 'setting' has altered each time the show airs so that everything matches, if that makes sense.

1 hour ago, Featherhat said:

I'd say Agnes and Herb were trying so sew suspicion about the "opposition" but the tone didn't strike me as pure manipulation, there was genuine concern there, though how that fits in is another thing entirely.

I would argue it was some of both. If Geraldine works for SWORD and Agnes and Herb are agents of whatever evil organization that has taken Hydra's place, they could have been trying to make Vision suspicious of her without Wanda being around. If that's the case, Wanda has already solved their problem by giving Geraldine the boot, but that doesn't speak to Agnes' apparent fear or her insistence that Herb shut his mouth. Though if Wanda retains the memory of being so suspicious of Geraldine that she chucked her out of the construct altogether, it would be reasonable for her to be alert for others who might know things they 'shouldn't' and could disturb the oasis she's built. That could be something for Agnes to worry about, being evicted from Westview, because what if you can't get back in if Wanda tosses you out?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

That could be something for Agnes to worry about, being evicted from Westview, because what if you can't get back in if Wanda tosses you out?

If the beekeeper had found a manhole further from the Vision residence, they probably could have successfully infiltrated Westview. Just bad luck that time. But it seems like anyone inside, both original Westview residents and newcomers, are brainwashed into joining the show.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Featherhat said:

If she's not leaving WestView everyday to go back to the SWORD compound 

The fact that Westview is a real place in the "real" is probably one of the more interesting things we learned this episode.

2 hours ago, Kromm said:

The doctor seems to exist purely to service Wanda and Vision's story. It is like if Wandavision was a real tv show, the viewers wouldn't get any more details or see what actually happens on his vacation. So here his vacation doesn't happen either.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I have a question about SWORD, if they are a space agency why are they evolved, is it because SHIELD is dismantled or is SHIELD dismantled? 

I've been wondering the same, but based on next week's preview, I'm thinking that MCU SWORD is actually more like an X-Files sort of agency within SHIELD- investigating paranormal/extraterrestrial activity in/around the Earth, and not necessarily monitoring other planets, per se.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

No one really knows at this point. This is the first confirmation of SWORD in the MCU. The state of SHIELD is a complete mystery. 

1 hour ago, arc said:

If the beekeeper had found a manhole further from the Vision residence, they probably could have successfully infiltrated Westview. Just bad luck that time. 

It’s interesting that the manhole did not exist earlier in that episode. I don’t think it was just bad luck that him ended up right outside Wanda and Vision’s house. 

This is a spoiler from something I read online (to be precise, on the Wikipedia page about sword, so maybe avoid it if you don't want to know), but apparently in WandaVision das SW in Sword stands for

Spoiler

Sentient Weapon. And Vision certainly qualifies as one. Well, according to Ross, ALL Avengers would qualify.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Dani said:

Fraternal twins can skip a generation but that wouldn’t apply in Wanda’s situation. It happens when a male twin is a carrier of the gene. 

I started typing a response and then found a link that explains it more succinctly:

Is There a "Twin Gene"?

According to genetic research, the chance of having fraternal twins is approximately two times greater for women whose mother or sister had fraternal twins. This increased chance is due to a gene that promotes hyperovulation—sometimes referred to as the "twin gene.

Hyperovulation is the tendency to release more than one egg during ovulation, which increases the chances of conceiving dizygotic (or fraternal) twins. So, in families where the women have a tendency towards hyperovulation, genetics could sufficiently explain an increased presence of fraternal twins.

However, since only women ovulate, the connection is only valid on the mother's side of the family. While men can carry the gene and pass it on to their daughters, a family history of twins doesn't make them any more likely to have twins themselves.

But, if a father passes on the "twin gene" to his daughter, then she may have a higher chance than normal of having fraternal twins.

Do Twins Skip a Generation?

If your father was a twin but you weren't, are you more likely to have twins? It's a common misconception that twins skip a generation in families. There is absolutely no evidence, other than circumstantial, that twins are more likely to occur every other generation.

However, if you consider the influence of genetic hyperovulation, this pattern could appear in families depending on whether their children were sons or daughters.

Generation 1 Grandma: Grandma has the gene for hyperovulation. She and Grandpa have fraternal boy twins, Rob and Bob.

Generation 2 Rob & Bob: While Grandma's sons may carry the gene for hyperovulation, they do not ovulate. They will not have twins (excluding other factors). However, they each have a daughter.

Generation 3 Molly & Polly: Cousins, Molly and Polly, inherit the gene for hyperovulation from their fathers. They each have a set of twins.

You can see how this example makes it appear that twins skip a generation in families. The pattern is influenced by whether the inheritor of the hyperovulation gene is male or female. 

Which Side of the Family Has Twins?

If the twins are present on your husband's/partner's side, it won't influence your chances of having twins. Remember, the gene for hyperovulation is only a factor for the mother.

If your mother (or your grandmother or aunt) was or had fraternal twins, you might have the gene. But your husband's family history has absolutely no bearing on your own children, except maybe for the future possibility that you might have twin grandchildren—if you have a daughter who inherits the hyperovulation gene.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Since the house Wanda and Vision live in has changed for every episode, in addition to their wardrobes, maybe that's just part and parcel of the rest of it. Because Agnes' hairstyle was different this time, and I think Herb's was as well. I'd have to rewatch to make sure about him, though. Even if Geraldine really didn't have a house or a closet, the 'setting' has altered each time the show airs so that everything matches, if that makes sense.

I would argue it was some of both. If Geraldine works for SWORD and Agnes and Herb are agents of whatever evil organization that has taken Hydra's place, they could have been trying to make Vision suspicious of her without Wanda being around. If that's the case, Wanda has already solved their problem by giving Geraldine the boot, but that doesn't speak to Agnes' apparent fear or her insistence that Herb shut his mouth. Though if Wanda retains the memory of being so suspicious of Geraldine that she chucked her out of the construct altogether, it would be reasonable for her to be alert for others who might know things they 'shouldn't' and could disturb the oasis she's built. That could be something for Agnes to worry about, being evicted from Westview, because what if you can't get back in if Wanda tosses you out?

I don't there is an "evil organization.  There might be something up with Agnes and him, bu they aren't evil.  The only "villain" here is Wanda herself.

I think that after Endgame Wanda went off by herself and just wandered some.  Eventually she came into Westview.  Wanda looks young and pretty and sad and fragile, so people in Westview were nice to her, the poor bastards.  So Wanda was in this nice town with nice people and maybe thinking about how nice it would've been to settle here with Vision, maybe raise a nice family like in those old American sitcom.  And suddenly, WandaVision.

I think at first Wanda didn't quite realize what happened, but now she does.  In fairy tales, when the hero beats the villain he gets to marry his true love and live happily after.  Wanda wants to keep her happily ever after and God help anyone who tries to take it from her.

Except that God won't help anyone trying to take it because in Westview, God is a Sokovian.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I started typing a response and then found a link that explains it more succinctly:

Doesn’t that just say what I said with more details or did I miss something? 

20 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I really enjoyed this episode. And it was so 70's with the opening credits.

I wonder how long the babies will stay babies?

The whole hiding the belly and trying to keep the stork from being discovered when it's sees fish on pants and tries to grab one is so Bewitched. Remember Aunt Clara would always, by mistake poof something and Samantha would have to hide it from guest or her nosy neighbor?

I think it is at best ambiguous as to what the status is of SHIELD and SWORD. In part this is because there is somewhat of a disconnect between what happened in the movies and the TV shows. Originally, the idea was that Agents of SHIELD and the Netflix shows all were happening in the same continuity. And they may still be. But with the concepts of multiverses and branching timelines out there now, who can say?

In the movies, I am trying to remember the last on-screen and direct mention of SHIELD and am coming up empty since the Winter Soldier. (Chronologically, I mean. Yes, SHIELD was in Captain Marvel). Yes, we've seen Nick Fury and Skrulls disguised as Nick Fury and Maria Hill. But it wasn't clear to me that any of the above were operating under the SHIELD banner rather than as SWORD, a new organization, or freelance. The notion that what seemingly was the real Nick Fury was in space at the end of Spider-Man: Far From Home suggested that he was possibly getting SWORD up and running.

In Agents of SHIELD, we never saw the effects of the Snap/Blip play out, and the events of the series more or less stopped making reference to the events of the movies around the time of Thor: The Dark World.  

I assume that by next episode, the babies will be pre-teens. 

Re: Geraldine, there is a possibilty that Agnes is lying or mistaken about what is going on with her, But taking her information as true, I would say that it depends on what the true nature of Westview is. My working theory is that either Wanda or someone else has created this fictionalized version of Westview and that neither Wanda nor anyone else is in complete control of it. However it happens, a lot of the real-world needs of people get sidestepped just like they would in the TV shows they emulate. For the most part, people are going around in somewhat of a daze, playing their assigned roles. But sometimes things cause matters to go off-script. Hart choking in the first episode, for instance. Or in this latest one, Wanda remembering she had a brother broke the spell long enough for Geraldine to remember the real world. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
44 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

In the movies, I am trying to remember the last on-screen and direct mention of SHIELD and am coming up empty since the Winter Soldier. (Chronologically, I mean.

I thought Skrull Fury and Hill were SHIELD, while real Fury was getting SWORD setup.

Edited by Morrigan2575

I think if having Wanda be a mother to control or manipulate her was someone's plan, it was a terrible plan. What I saw when she turned on Geraldine after the mention that Ultron killed Pietro was a fierce protectiveness. She loved and was protective of Pietro, and I think in their dynamic was always his protector. Then she couldn't protect him. Then she became involved with Vision, but he was always an adult and equal partner so while she loved him and tried to protect him, it wasn't the same feeling. But she failed him too.

Now, though, she has these two babies and all a mother's protectiveness  plus all the pain and grief and fear from her past failures to protect. I think she felt her babies were threatened in that moment. She moved to stand physically between  them and Geraldine. And instead of just rewinding or distracting or something relatively minor, she completely REMOVED the threat to get children. I don't see messing with those two part I just miss as healthy for anyone. They gave her more than children; they have her two reasons to really fight if she ever thinks they're in danger.

I haven't read the comics, but I also don't know that I think the comic stories are the only ones that can tell. So something going one way in the comics doesn't have to go the same way here.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

In the movies, I am trying to remember the last on-screen and direct mention of SHIELD and am coming up empty since the Winter Soldier. (Chronologically, I mean. Yes, SHIELD was in Captain Marvel). Yes, we've seen Nick Fury and Skrulls disguised as Nick Fury and Maria Hill. But it wasn't clear to me that any of the above were operating under the SHIELD banner rather than as SWORD, a new organization, or freelance. The notion that what seemingly was the real Nick Fury was in space at the end of Spider-Man: Far From Home suggested that he was possibly getting SWORD up and running.

I think the last clear mention is in Ultron when Fury shows up with the helicarrier. I agree that it was ambiguous in Far From Home. I’m guessing it won’t be clear until the Nick Fury series. 

1 hour ago, johntfs said:

I don't there is an "evil organization.  There might be something up with Agnes and him, bu they aren't evil.  The only "villain" here is Wanda herself.

But this is the AoU argument all over again, and also partly the one from Civil War. Even if Wanda did arrive in Westview and the other residents were nice to her for the reasons you mention, as @Ailianna noted, her reaction to Geraldine's mention of Ultron, while admittedly scary, was also protective and not that malicious. Because Geraldine is still alive, and Teyonah Parris is due to be in more episodes so they're not done with the character yet. I'd grant that Wanda is the antagonist, maybe, but the fact remains that she is fragile, both mentally and emotionally. Probably more breakable than ever, since Vision's last concern was that his death in Infinity War hurt her as little as possible, only for it to go horribly wrong when their sacrifice didn't work. If she is being used, if it isn't just her that's a target but her children, whoever is doing it will have more to deal with than they imagine. If God in Westview is Sokovian, she also does not play.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

But this is the AoU argument all over again, and also partly the one from Civil War. Even if Wanda did arrive in Westview and the other residents were nice to her for the reasons you mention, as @Ailianna noted, her reaction to Geraldine's mention of Ultron, while admittedly scary, was also protective and not that malicious. Because Geraldine is still alive, and Teyonah Parris is due to be in more episodes so they're not done with the character yet. I'd grant that Wanda is the antagonist, maybe, but the fact remains that she is fragile, both mentally and emotionally. Probably more breakable than ever, since Vision's last concern was that his death in Infinity War hurt her as little as possible, only for it to go horribly wrong when their sacrifice didn't work. If she is being used, if it isn't just her that's a target but her children, whoever is doing it will have more to deal with than they imagine. If God in Westview is Sokovian, she also does not play.

The problem is that Wanda is being "protective" of something that really shouldn't be protected.  Like the Confederacy in the Civil War, Wanda is protecting her "right" to keep slaves.  Because make no mistake, that's what the people of Westview are.  They're slaves to Wanda's "vision" of her perfect sitcom world.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, johntfs said:

I think that after Endgame Wanda went off by herself and just wandered some.  Eventually she came into Westview.  Wanda looks young and pretty and sad and fragile, so people in Westview were nice to her, the poor bastards.  So Wanda was in this nice town with nice people and maybe thinking about how nice it would've been to settle here with Vision, maybe raise a nice family like in those old American sitcom.  And suddenly, WandaVision.

I think at first Wanda didn't quite realize what happened, but now she does.  In fairy tales, when the hero beats the villain he gets to marry his true love and live happily after.  Wanda wants to keep her happily ever after and God help anyone who tries to take it from her.

Except that God won't help anyone trying to take it because in Westview, God is a Sokovian.

This would mean that the show revealed the mystery in episode 2. Before the show started I thought Wanda being entirely behind the whole thing was a possibility but feel like the show would be playing out differently in that was the case. 

Re: the Twin discussion; does any of this really apply to Wanda and the Vision in any case? I don't know that, as an android (or synthezoid) he is actually adding any DNA to the mix, and anything biological going on is probably not natural in the first place.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, Dani said:

This would mean that the show revealed the mystery in episode 2. Before the show started I thought Wanda being entirely behind the whole thing was a possibility but feel like the show would be playing out differently in that was the case. 

How would it play out differently?  So far whenever anyone has "broken character" or, like Vision, started to question things, something bad/punishing has happened to them, Wanda has re-written time/reality or, in "Geraldine's" case, banished them from Westview entirely.

As for the "mystery" goes, there was no real mystery about who was "behind this."  Not really.  Sometimes in movies or TV shows, you'll get a blurry, kind of confusing shot that makes it unclear what's occurring until it focuses and resolves to show the whole picture of what's happening..

Now, I will say that along with Vision and the townspeople, Wanda has also put kind of a "whammy" on herself.  However, if situation is threatened, she comes out of that whammy to deal with the situation.

In terms of mystery, the real question will be, "How does this get fixed?"  Power isn't going to do it.  There's not going to be some kind of Crimson Warlock to battle Wanda's Scarlet Witch for the mind of soul of Westview.  The person who has to fix this is the same one who "broke" it - Wanda.  So, how do you convince this God to give up her power, her family and her true love?

• Love 3

How would it play out differently?  So far whenever anyone has "broken character" or, like Vision, started to question things, something bad/punishing has happened to them, Wanda has re-written time/reality or, in "Geraldine's" case, banished them from Westview entirely.

I not talking about within the world of the show but with how the episodes are structured. If it’s all Wanda I would expect the reveal of Wanda controlling things would happen later in the season. 

As for the "mystery" goes, there was no real mystery about who was "behind this."  Not really.  Sometimes in movies or TV shows, you'll get a blurry, kind of confusing shot that makes it unclear what's occurring until it focuses and resolves to show the whole picture of what's happening..

I’m just saying that I think there is more to the story. I don’t think it’s that clear cut and see a lot more ambiguity it the episodes than you. 

In terms of mystery, the real question will be, "How does this get fixed?"  Power isn't going to do it.  There's not going to be some kind of Crimson Warlock to battle Wanda's Scarlet Witch for the mind of soul of Westview.  The person who has to fix this is the same one who "broke" it - Wanda.  So, how do you convince this God to give up her power, her family and her true love?

If that is the mystery I will be disappointed in the show. To me that wouldn’t be a mystery but just the plot. It would mean that a lot of the clues pointing to something more are completely meaningless. 

6 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I thought Skrull Fury and Hill were SHIELD, while real Fury was getting SWORD setup.

I tend to agree, but I don't remember if specifically Skrull Fury and Hill referred to themselves as SHIELD, the SHIELD logo was used, etc. They very well may have been, but I can't remember conclusively.

6 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I think if having Wanda be a mother to control or manipulate her was someone's plan, it was a terrible plan. What I saw when she turned on Geraldine after the mention that Ultron killed Pietro was a fierce protectiveness. She loved and was protective of Pietro, and I think in their dynamic was always his protector. Then she couldn't protect him. Then she became involved with Vision, but he was always an adult and equal partner so while she loved him and tried to protect him, it wasn't the same feeling. But she failed him too.

Now, though, she has these two babies and all a mother's protectiveness  plus all the pain and grief and fear from her past failures to protect. I think she felt her babies were threatened in that moment. She moved to stand physically between  them and Geraldine. And instead of just rewinding or distracting or something relatively minor, she completely REMOVED the threat to get children. I don't see messing with those two part I just miss as healthy for anyone. They gave her more than children; they have her two reasons to really fight if she ever thinks they're in danger

I haven't read the comics, but I also don't know that I think the comic stories are the only ones that can tell. So something going one way in the comics doesn't have to go the same way here.

I don't think that this is the direction the plot is going. But plenty of characters let their love for their children and other family members lead to them being manipulated into doing things. There's nothing inherent in Wanda's experiences that would inherently make it a bad plan to orchestrate the creation of children and then to kidnap or somehow threaten them if Wanda doesn't do X, Y or Z.

Now, I will say that along with Vision and the townspeople, Wanda has also put kind of a "whammy" on herself.  However, if situation is threatened, she comes out of that whammy to deal with the situation.

There is at least some mystery as to whether Wanda is doing all of this on her own with no outward influence; if Wanda started this on her own but an outward force is seeking to turn the situation to its advantage; or if an outside force is doing this to her and Wanda is trying to navigate the situation as best she can.

Up till this episdoe, it wasn't clear if this was all a simulation, in her mind, in an alternate reality or what. Taking this at face value, we now know that there is a real world Westview that's in some pocket. 

Those of us with some comics background can assume certain things are more likely than others. But I wouldn't rule out someone in crimson battling Wanda for souls....

• Love 2
2 hours ago, johntfs said:

But doesn't this raise the question of how Geraldine knew about Pietro being killed by Ultron? Let's say for a second that she's just some random civilian who was trapped in Westview with everyone else and not an agent of whatever organization, that she didn't crash land in town and Wanda turned her helicopter into a toy. Because Wanda is the one who said that she was a twin, which is the only time she's mentioned her brother since Age of Ultron. If it's part of the fantasy that Wanda never had a brother at all, but her saying his name is what made him 'real', then fine. That'd be weird, but fine. I suppose it'd be possible that the news would cover the deaths caused by Ultron, including Pietro's, so maybe that would be how normal every day people could find out about it, but if Wanda had never mentioned him there'd have been no way to make the connection. For all we know, in this 'reality' Wanda is an only child and her parents are deceased, but in the real world only one of those things is true. It's too much of a stretch.

• Love 1

I love Vision's 70s hair.

Everybody in town lives next door to them.

I really wondered what the reference was to the brand name on the paint buckets, it turns out that Jeremy Simser works in the Marvel Studios art department, and will be working on Doctor Strange: In the Multiverse of Madness.

"All the world's a stage.  All the men and women merely players."

So apparently Wanda wasn't wearing any underwear, if Geraldine was able to look under her skirt and tell that it was time to start pushing.

What does the "Welcome to Westview" sign say?

Edited by Silver Raven
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

So apparently Wanda wasn't wearing any underwear, if Geraldine was able to look under her skirt and tell that it was time too start pushing.

The same thought popped in my head as well, then I remembered that the women of that era were obsessed with burning their undergarments.😁