Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E01: Kellyanne Conway, Katie Couric and Matt Jones

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

Reminder: Please don't speculate on any specifics. Watch, then post.  

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Is Bill going to deliver a lot of old people jokes to Joe Biden? It seems like he is! 😠

I've always thought the age of the president was a legitimate concern, but I remember when Bill was super against ageism. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

I am not saying he is young, but there is a saying to respect your elders no matter what. I just don't like what he paints as old, at least according to Bill.

Oh I totally get what you're saying! I think sometimes age jokes can be funny, but no pun intended, the old guy jokes against Joe Biden have gotten old. I know once I'm that age, I wouldn't want my age thrown in my face every day. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Kenz said:

After an almost two month vacation, I would have thought Bill and the writers would have come up with some better material. I've watched this show for years, and Bill Maher is coming across as an old whiny sourpuss who only occasionally cracks a pithy line. Sad.

Edited by BrownBear2012
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, cali1981 said:

I didn't watch the show but did Bill really call Biden a tragedy magnet?  What the hell is wrong with him? He sounds like a die hard Bernie Bro dead ender. You have to wonder if he'll start pushing crap about Joe's  mental competence like some of them still do. Geez!

Yeah that comment about Biden being a tragedy magnet was just so awful.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, GoldenGirl90 said:

Yeah that comment about Biden being a tragedy magnet was just so awful.

During the spring season he said he thought Biden probably smelled like "old man pee"...he continues to make ageist remarks about Biden that are disgusting and not funny...but Bernie never gets these kind of comments from Bill.

• Love 9
On 1/16/2021 at 5:24 PM, T Summer said:

then say "we let the alien on to the spaceship" was worth the price of admission.

I laughed because KAC had just been on, at his invitation, lol.  He himself keeps inviting the aliens onto his spaceship and then laments at the alien on the spaceship.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, izabella said:

I laughed because KAC had just been on, at his invitation, lol.  He himself keeps inviting the aliens onto his spaceship and then laments at the alien on the spaceship.

When will Stephen Miller be on his show? 

• LOL 2
On 1/17/2021 at 1:49 PM, BrownBear2012 said:

During the spring season he said he thought Biden probably smelled like "old man pee"...he continues to make ageist remarks about Biden that are disgusting and not funny...but Bernie never gets these kind of comments from Bill.

Ironically, Bill is looking and acting older than his age.  Soon people will be making old man 'jokes' about him.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 6
On 1/17/2021 at 12:49 PM, BrownBear2012 said:

I was going to mention the "old man who smells like pee" comment as well. I don't know which is worse, that or "tragedy magnet". Equally awful, perhaps.

On the plus side, little if any "I told you so"-ism and no digs at fat people. Progress! /s

Anyone notice that anytime there wasn't uproarious laughter at one of his jokes, he made sure to announce that HE didn't write that joke, one of his writers did. Ugh, Bill, get over yourself. I'm really not sure I've heard other comedians get so offended that not every single joke is a rib-splitter. 

And turning his defense (?) about the QAnon rioter into a rant about how he can't get solar, or whatever that was about. Gol-durn gubbermint anyways!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, littlepaw said:

Anyone notice that anytime there wasn't uproarious laughter at one of his jokes, he made sure to announce that HE didn't write that joke, one of his writers did. Ugh, Bill, get over yourself. I'm really not sure I've heard other comedians get so offended that not every single joke is a rib-splitter. 

Most normal comedians make jokes about the lack of laughing and almost all take responsibility if a joke fails. Bill is one of the only comedians I have seen that takes no ownership of his jokes and normally blames the audience or in this case his writers.

One of the reasons I quit watching this show is his arrogance is completely off the charts. Never and I mean never blame the audience if your joke fails. It is 100% on you and if you can't make it stop telling jokes and just interview your right extremist friends.

• Love 7
On 1/16/2021 at 3:38 PM, film noire said:

Three quotes from Maher's rant that struck me as indicative of how far he's fallen as a social satirist:

“And maybe, since all politics was local, all she knew was that she lives in a state that seems to care more about her 'toxic Whiteness' than her toxic brokeness." 

This comment really had little to do with the point he was attempting to make.  And given the racial undertones of their movement,  just is in very poor taste.  Plus it just wasn't funny or insightful (something he used to be)

I've enjoyed this show a lot less over the past year or so (been watching since Politically Correct).  I think the diversity (in all respects) and quality of his guests have declined drastically.   Which have led to some really surface level and uninteresting panel discussions.  I wonder if it's not just the pandemic, but if certain better quality guests refuse to do his show.   

Strongly considered not watching when the show returned in 2021.  But I watched this episode, as I was curious how he would address Jan. 6.  After watching I finally deleted this show from DVR.   I may check in from time to time depending on guests or the news of the week, but no longer a regular viewer.    

• Love 8

Thank you all for your comment here for watching so I don't have to. When I saw Kellyanne Conway as a guest, I was dubious. Hubby and I used to enjoy his show, but lately have become exasperated with him, but hung on because of occasional funny jokes or graphics. I had taped the show, but deleted it unwatched. It was fun while it lasted.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Beezella said:

Thank you all for your comment here for watching so I don't have to. When I saw Kellyanne Conway as a guest, I was dubious. Hubby and I used to enjoy his show, but lately have become exasperated with him, but hung on because of occasional funny jokes or graphics. I had taped the show, but deleted it unwatched. It was fun while it lasted.

I wonder what his next guest will be...?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, heatherchandler said:

Am I the only person who still loves Bill and the show?  I thought this was a great show.

Didn't like Katie Couric and her "deprogramming" comment, I thought that was scary.

ME! I still love his show and glad I'm not the only one. I think Bill is funny, interesting, like that he's not about being politically correct and that he platforms all kinds of people. I totally get why some are annoyed by some of the things he says, but again I like that at least he's not catering to specifically to one crowd. I don't tune in to any show only to have the host share exactly the same thoughts I have. I don't agree that his audience is now all rightwing now, but agree to disagree with all those who do. Sometimes my thoughts on this forum are very similar to other watchers (like The View boards), but I don't think Bill is this awful host who caters to the right. Trust me, he says a lot I disagree with, but I'm still a fan. I don't see eye to eye with my own family on everything, and if I think a host or his show is that terrible, I stop watching. *shrug* The only person I regularly watch on TV whom I can't stand is Meghan McCain on The View, but I watch that show for Joy and Sunny. I wouldn't watch her own show. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 7
17 hours ago, BrownBear2012 said:

He's 66...no spring chicken. He's been eligible for membership in AARP for awhile now.

Bill turns 65 tomorrow and has to wait another 16 months to be able to get full social security; then he can be called "old man".  You only need to be 50 to join AARP, which is the new 40, not old.  I don't think of people as being "elderly" until they get frail. 

I still like Bill because he does have people with different views on, and asks PC 'woke' folks hardball questions while the MSM and other late-night hosts coddle them.  His sense of humour is similar to mine (I'm 1.3 yrs older). I don't agree with everything (or sometimes anything) Bill or his guests say, but they have the right to say them.  People are divided nowadays because most listen only to people with the same views & life experiences and have no idea how the rest of the world lives and thinks.  

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 7
20 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I totally get why some are annoyed by some of the things he says, but again I like that at least he's not catering to specifically to one crowd. I don't tune in to any show only to have the host share exactly the same thoughts I have. I don't agree that his audience is now all rightwing now, but agree to disagree with all those who do.

There's a difference as far as I'm concerned. I'm not against having guests of opposing views--I am not a fan of those lying liars and batshit crazies who keeps bringing on. And as far as what happened on January 6--that is not a right or left issue, but a right and wrong. And I, stupidly, thought Bill would have given it the respect and seriousness it deserved like 9/11 got.

And his constant trying to convince his audience/viewers to try and understand the bigots and racists, like he did again last week. Sorry, not happening.

He wasn't being politically incorrect. He was being an asshole.

Where's the Bill of 2016 whose New Rules ended with "We Da Rebels NOW!"

• Love 10

I don't enjoy the lying liars and batshit crazy guests, but the events of the last week suggest that there are a lot more of them out there and they are more dangerous than we previously thought.  You cannot disarm your enemy if you don't know where his thoughts are taking him.

I also hope that the Bill of 2016 will be back soon!

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, deirdra said:

I still like Bill because he does have people with different views on, and asks PC 'woke' folks hardball questions while the MSM and other late-night hosts coddle them.  His sense of humour is similar to mine (I'm 1.3 yrs older). I don't agree with everything (or sometimes anything) Bill or his guests say, but they have the right to say them.  People are divided nowadays because most listen only to people with the same views & life experiences and have no idea how the rest of the world lives and thinks.  

This is exactly what is happening.

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

There's a difference as far as I'm concerned. I'm not against having guests of opposing views--I am not a fan of those lying liars and batshit crazies who keeps bringing on. And as far as what happened on January 6--that is not a right or left issue, but a right and wrong. And I, stupidly, thought Bill would have given it the respect and seriousness it deserved like 9/11 got.

Opposing views are ok, that is what makes the world go around.  Trying to understand another point of view is a GOOD thing.  Trying to make it out that anyone having an opposing view is morally wrong is very dangerous.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And his constant trying to convince his audience/viewers to try and understand the bigots and racists, like he did again last week. Sorry, not happening.

He wasn't being politically incorrect. He was being an asshole.

I honestly don't mind that he brings those folks on sometimes because it means I don't have to watch the likes of Tucker Carlson, Laura Ingraham, etc. I like to hear what all sides are saying, just not from hateful, rude people. Bill may not be perfect, but he's night and day from the TV personalities on Fox, OAN, and Newsmax. A lot of them really are assholes, and I don't regularly tune into their shows for that reason. I do think it's good to watch a little bit of news that gets you worked up, I just don't want to give ratings to anyone I think is a jerk. 

3 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

This is exactly what is happening.

Opposing views are ok, that is what makes the world go around.  Trying to understand another point of view is a GOOD thing.  Trying to make it out that anyone having an opposing view is morally wrong is very dangerous.

This, and I'm so glad you're on here! lol I almost feel like I shouldn't bother posting on his board at all since it seems no one who likes him is posting here. I have family and friends with different views, and much as I don't get them, they're beautiful people. I think this attitude of not forgiving allies who say/do stupid things sometimes is exactly what makes some people go further right. I don't agree with some of the stuff Bill's said lately either, but I do agree with him about this point. He made a crude comment to Rose McGowan, and then he can't be an ally with MeToo. He used the n word because he was stupid and thought he was down enough to say it, he's the biggest racist ever. As far as I know, Bill's never raped or assaulted anyone and has always taken up for minorities. The only thing I remember him doing back in the day was being rough when talking about Islam, but it wasn't from an "anything not Christian makes me uncomfortable" view. He's said dumb things, but even the smartest, most well-intentioned person is going to when regularly being on TV for decades. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

I honestly don't mind that he brings those folks on sometimes because it means I don't have to watch the likes of Tucker Carlson, Laura Ingraham, etc. I like to hear what all sides are saying, just not from hateful, rude people. Bill may not be perfect, but he's night and day from the TV personalities on Fox, OAN, and Newsmax. A lot of them really are assholes, and I don't regularly tune into their shows for that reason. I do think it's good to watch a little bit of news that gets you worked up, I just don't want to give ratings to anyone I think is a jerk. 

This, and I'm so glad you're on here! lol I almost feel like I shouldn't bother posting on his board at all since it seems no one who likes him is posting here. I have family and friends with different views, and much as I don't get them, they're beautiful people. I think this attitude of not forgiving allies who say/do stupid things sometimes is exactly what makes some people go further right. I don't agree with some of the stuff Bill's said lately either, but I do agree with him about this point. He made a crude comment to Rose McGowan, and then he can't be an ally with MeToo. He used the n word because he was stupid and thought he was down enough to say it, he's the biggest racist ever. As far as I know, Bill's never raped or assaulted anyone and has always taken up for minorities. The only thing I remember him doing back in the day was being rough when talking about Islam, but it wasn't from an "anything not Christian makes me uncomfortable" view. He's said dumb things, but even the smartest, most well-intentioned person is going to when regularly being on TV for decades. 

I agree he’s no where near as bad as Tucker Carlson...lol.  I too disagree with Bill on a lot of topics but still enjoyed the show.      People who watch the show are generally interested in hearing the different perspectives.  But there is something different about the show here lately that’s hard to articulate.   He just seems like a grumpy old man, not interested in anyone’s perspective than his own.   He then books guests that don’t necessarily push back against those perspectives.   So his show is feeling more like an opinion news show on cable news than the funny and interesting show it is when it’s at its best.

Edited by After7Only
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

He’s not funny, is the problem.  Was there anything funny or amusing about his interview with KAC?  She spewed her verbal diarrhea, as usual.  He started off trying to push back, and even agreed with her on a couple things, but she just kept talking over him.  Finally, he just gave up, browbeaten by the motormouth, and just let her spew her script unchecked.  

What insight or comedy did Bill offer? None.  He didn’t even note that her final declaration that one of Trump’s accomplishments was that he didn’t get us into a new war was dripping with irony!  Holy shit lady, did you notice the deadly insurrection at the Capitol while Congress was in session a couple weeks ago ?  

Bill hasn’t been funny much lately.  And he isn’t adding anything new to the discussions.  He’s doing a lot of bitching about some of his favorite themes, but not funny bitching.

• Love 10
12 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

That's Bill's smug arrogant entitlement reeking through. He thinks because he's on their side, he feels he has the right to say what he wants and not receive pushback. A couple of weeks after his "house n!&&er" comments, he made a crack about trans people then slowly turned to look at Eddie Izzard, who had just come out as trans, as if mocking him. Izzard was none too pleased by his lame assed "joke". He claims he has the right to do this because his people, the Irish (he's half Irish, half Jewish) overcame discrimination and that if they want people to stop being cruel to them, that they have to stop with the so-called stereotypes they live their lives through. Bill doesn't seem to want to learn from his attitude and behavior. He lacks the empathy needed to understand how disadvantaged people deal with their lives.

He also used his New Rules pulpit to whine and complain about people using their smartphones to record others doing bad shit, believing it's out of control. But without it, we wouldn't have discovered just how police have been targeting and harassing and sometimes killing African Americans, like George Floyd. Bill complains about that because he fears someone would record him saying something offensive when the cameras aren't on him and he's being "himself". Bill doesn't seem to want to learn and grow.

18 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

That has been one of his rare moments when he was being funny. Ever since Berkley canceled his gig because of students objecting to him, Bill has gone off the deep end and has spent more time attacking the left and their so-called "wokeness" and less time going after the right who are the ones causing real problems in the country. Small wonder why he defends the outgoing president's supporters, even after some of them stormed the Capitol in a lame attempt to change the outcome of a fair election.

Bill's expiry date past a long, long time ago.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, izabella said:

What insight or comedy did Bill offer? None.  He didn’t even note that her final declaration that one of Trump’s accomplishments was that he didn’t get us into a new war was dripping with irony!  Holy shit lady, did you notice the deadly insurrection at the Capitol while Congress was in session a couple weeks ago ?  

Thank you! And her response to that?

”That was unfortunate”

Bet if they had been of a different skin color/nationality, she would have categorized it as war. I loathe that Crypt Keeper so much.

I had stopped watching well over a year ago, but tuned in to see if how Bill would handle the events of the past two months. More stupid me.

And I was a fan since his Politically Incorrect days. No more. I am done.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, deirdra said:

Bill turns 65 tomorrow and has to wait another 16 months to be able to get full social security; then he can be called "old man".  You only need to be 50 to join AARP, which is the new 40, not old.  I don't think of people as being "elderly" until they get frail. 

I apologize...I said he was 66...I liked Bill until he started courting the far right wing conspiracy people with ties to white nationalists and worse. Having people of differing viewpoints and opinions is great...I always enjoyed guests that had opposing views and spoke with intelligence and dignity. But when he started having people like Steve Bannon, Milo Yiannopoulos, Ben Shapiro, Roger Stone, etc. etc. on the show I drew the line. He rarely pushed back on any of their hate filled and racist rhetoric and mostly bonded with them over "cancel culture" that they had in common when some colleges canceled their speeches/in person events. I am all for listening to the other side but not the side that just tried to take down our democracy, threatened the life of VP Pence and Nancy Pelosi and literally crapped in the Capitol and then tracked their shit all over it. There is nothing they have to say that is worth listening to except in a court of law.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

That's Bill's smug arrogant entitlement reeking through. He thinks because he's on their side, he feels he has the right to say what he wants and not receive pushback. A couple of weeks after his "house n!&&er" comments, he made a crack about trans people then slowly turned to look at Eddie Izzard, who had just come out as trans, as if mocking him. Izzard was none too pleased by his lame assed "joke". He claims he has the right to do this because his people, the Irish (he's half Irish, half Jewish) overcame discrimination and that if they want people to stop being cruel to them, that they have to stop with the so-called stereotypes they live their lives through. Bill doesn't seem to want to learn from his attitude and behavior. He lacks the empathy needed to understand how disadvantaged people deal with their lives.

He also used his New Rules pulpit to whine and complain about people using their smartphones to record others doing bad shit, believing it's out of control. But without it, we wouldn't have discovered just how police have been targeting and harassing and sometimes killing African Americans, like George Floyd. Bill complains about that because he fears someone would record him saying something offensive when the cameras aren't on him and he's being "himself". Bill doesn't seem to want to learn and grow.

That has been one of his rare moments when he was being funny. Ever since Berkley canceled his gig because of students objecting to him, Bill has gone off the deep end and has spent more time attacking the left and their so-called "wokeness" and less time going after the right who are the ones causing real problems in the country. Small wonder why he defends the outgoing president's supporters, even after some of them stormed the Capitol in a lame attempt to change the outcome of a fair election.

Yeah just because you're on someone's side doesn't mean you can say whatever you want and not receive backlash.

I totally agree with you about recording with phones. I don't recall what he said though. For me, the idea of being recorded all the time is annoying. I've been in various situations where people randomly start recording. I hate this. Sometimes I just want to be. Now for people who are committing crimes, 100% bust out those cameras. The footage of George Floyd was heartbreaking, but America needed to see it. 

As I've said, I still like Bill and his show despite not agreeing him on everything. I'm not sure why so many people who can't stand him are still watching the show, but to each his own. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Yeah just because you're on someone's side doesn't mean you can say whatever you want and not receive backlash.

I totally agree with you about recording with phones. I don't recall what he said though. For me, the idea of being recorded all the time is annoying. I've been in various situations where people randomly start recording. I hate this. Sometimes I just want to be. Now for people who are committing crimes, 100% bust out those cameras. The footage of George Floyd was heartbreaking, but America needed to see it. 

As I've said, I still like Bill and his show despite not agreeing him on everything. I'm not sure why so many people who can't stand him are still watching the show, but to each his own. 

I can't stand him and stopped watching in early 2019...I just come on here to read what other people who do still watch are saying.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

Ah yes...the famous "Berkley Snub"...good grief...is he still carrying on about that? Not too many college kids are into a Boomer like him. Why can't he just accept that and realize he's an aging comedian that can't relate to Gen Z or Millenials...actually, he goes out of his way to ridicule and mock them. He probably should just stick to doing a  lounge act in Vegas or the Catskills.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 1/19/2021 at 10:28 PM, RealHousewife said:

Another person who still likes the show checking in. I don't agree with Bill on a lot of issues but I still find his show to be entertaining. I like that he has a variety of guests and the majority of them have interesting and thoughtful things to say. Regarding the rightwing guests, I'm with RealHousewife in that I would rather listen to some of these personalities on his show as opposed to adding to the ratings of somebody like Tucker Carlson or Laura Ingraham. I totally get why he would have KConway on the show. Of course I wish that he'd been more aggressive and made the points that have been made here, but at the same time I like that he allows his guests to talk and doesn't shout them down when he disagrees with them the way somebody like Sean Hannity does. 

I also disagree that Bill is somehow the equivalent of a right wing commentator now because he regularly rants about cancel culture and woke politics. A lot of my husband's family are right wing Trump supporters and to me there's a huge difference in their ideology vs. Bill's. 

What really annoyed me about this episode was that Bill didn't mention Officer Brian Sicknick. He spends the end of the show trying to get people to feel sympathy for that woman but doesn't even bother to mention the officer who died because a bunch of people like that woman decided that they wanted to overthrow our democracy. That didn't sit right with me and it comes across like Bill doesn't really get the magnitude of what happened on January 6th.

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Love 5
On 1/19/2021 at 2:34 PM, heatherchandler said:

Am I the only person who still loves Bill and the show?  I thought this was a great show.

Didn't like Katie Couric and her "deprogramming" comment, I thought that was scary.

I still do enjoy the show very much.  I don't need to agree with everything Bill says to enjoy the show. 

Disappointed that Bill let the panel brush off the Matt Taibbi quote that he brought up last Friday as I was especially curious to hear what Katie Couric would have to say on the role of media in flaming the divisiveness in the country.  Bill brings up the topic of media influence and quotes the following from a Matt Taibbi article: “How does our target demographic want to understand what’s just unfolded?”.  That would have been a discussion that I would have thoroughly enjoyed to see explored by the panel.  Bill does that too many times. Brings up an interesting point of view to discuss and lets the panel go in a different direction. 

btw, the article by Matt Taibbi that Bill quoted is worth reading IMO. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Thomas Crown said:

I still do enjoy the show very much.  I don't need to agree with everything Bill says to enjoy the show. 

Disappointed that Bill let the panel brush off the Matt Taibbi quote that he brought up last Friday as I was especially curious to hear what Katie Couric would have to say on the role of media in flaming the divisiveness in the country.  Bill brings up the topic of media influence and quotes the following from a Matt Taibbi article: “How does our target demographic want to understand what’s just unfolded?”.  That would have been a discussion that I would have thoroughly enjoyed to see explored by the panel.  Bill does that too many times. Brings up an interesting point of view to discuss and lets the panel go in a different direction. 

btw, the article by Matt Taibbi that Bill quoted is worth reading IMO. 

It is a REALLY great article.  I think Katie Couric brushed past it because she is one of the journalists fanning the flames.  

• Love 1

I know Bill Maher would never let any hint of awareness cloud his perpetual, increasingly desperate need to remind everyone of how young, cool, and hip he is, but how crass to belittle Biden for being a "tragedy magnet" in front of Katie Couric, who lost her husband and sister at a young age. She looked genuinely hurt, all while he yukked it up over the comedy gold, I guess, of the losses of a wife and children. I've never had much use for Couric, but the whole thing just reinforced to me how truly clueless he is with interacting with guests, and has been for a long time now. 

• Love 6

I decided to watch some clips of Real Time on their YT channel and it was the KAC interview that told me that Bill was just not for me. While I appreciate the lack of political correctness (hey, some people just aren't going to listen until you punch them in the face with reality) there's a difference between being blunt and being a jackass and sadly Bill falls into the latter category more often than not. 

If I want a political satire show from HBO, I think I'll stick with Last Week Tonight.

• Love 1
On 3/7/2021 at 1:06 AM, septicptx0104 said:

I decided to watch some clips of Real Time on their YT channel and it was the KAC interview that told me that Bill was just not for me. While I appreciate the lack of political correctness (hey, some people just aren't going to listen until you punch them in the face with reality) there's a difference between being blunt and being a jackass and sadly Bill falls into the latter category more often than not. 

If I want a political satire show from HBO, I think I'll stick with Last Week Tonight.

I watch both, and both have their strengths and weaknesses. Your best bet is to watch Bill's New Rules on YouTube, that's where you will get some decent jokes and a good dose of where he stands on issues.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1