Type keyword(s) to search

Who is...Today’s Guest Host?

chitowngirl
  • Start Topic

No worries, Ailianna, I think I know what you mean and agree with what you say.  Richards was noticeable at times, but he didn't really take me out of the game.  I think I like him, actually.  More than Ken, who I must admit I liked more than I thought I would.

• Love 1

I feel like I’ve been dropped into an alternate universe where MR has always been host of Jeopardy! I don’t argue that there are others who could have done as well or better, but somehow it just seems like he has been doing this all along. 

• Love 9

Tonight Mike Richards seemed to be wearing his Producer hat at the end of the first round when the contestants skipped at least the last 3. MR looked discouraged, and I imagined he was concerned about losing the audience interest. 
At the end of DJ, they left a couple on the board too, but MR seemed to have his poker face in place while he pointed out that it was a “competitive” game. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Tonight Mike Richards seemed to be wearing his Producer hat at the end of the first round when the contestants skipped at least the last 3. MR looked discouraged, and I imagined he was concerned about losing the audience interest. 
At the end of DJ, they left a couple on the board too, but MR seemed to have his poker face in place while he pointed out that it was a “competitive” game. 

But they cleared both boards.  Now that I think about it, have all the boards been cleared since we started with guest hosts?

I like Mike Richards. He’s more natural and has a better voice than Ken. This is the difference between a professional broadcaster and an amateur.

I definitely get the comment that Mike is more noticeable but I think that’s due to his experience hosting different kinds of shows. My guess is that if he got the gig, he’d tone it down a bit.

Still, I think Ken has the inside track. He seems to have the support of a lot of the fans.

• Love 2
On 2/24/2021 at 7:48 PM, Ailianna said:

I like Mike ok but I agree. Part of what made Alex good was that he could almost disappear into the game, a few random intersections notwithstanding. But I just felt like MR was too present, if you get me. I noticed him just a little more than I like. But what I noticed was nice, if that makes any sense, but I'd prefer not to notice the host too much.

And apparently I'm really not sure anyone will understand me!

i do...sort of

• LOL 1
On 2/24/2021 at 1:34 PM, bad things are bad said:

Oh.my.GOD. Would be terrible but freaking hilarious:

"NOOO...what is WRONG with you?? That is an UNBELIEVABLY STUPID answer! Did you take DRUGS??"

I'd pay to see that. 

• LOL 3
17 hours ago, Kyle said:

I definitely get the comment that Mike is more noticeable but I think that’s due to his experience hosting different kinds of shows. My guess is that if he got the gig, he’d tone it down a bit.

I disagree. I feel like Mike is okay not terrible but boring. I feel like he just reads the answers without any real emotions. He was a bit better in Thursday's episode but I still prefer Ken. 

• Love 1
On 2/24/2021 at 8:02 PM, bankerchick said:

No worries, Ailianna, I think I know what you mean and agree with what you say.  Richards was noticeable at times, but he didn't really take me out of the game.  I think I like him, actually.  More than Ken, who I must admit I liked more than I thought I would.

I was really liking Ken, I was used to him and I wanted them to just keep him.  I do like Richards, more that I thought I would.  But - I still hope Ken is the final decision for full -time host.

Not happy about any of the celebrity guests.

19 hours ago, Browncoat said:

At least it wasn't one whole category!  🙂  

Has that ever happened when a whole category stumps all 3 the whole way through?

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

I was really liking Ken, I was used to him and I wanted them to just keep him.  I do like Richards, more that I thought I would.  But - I still hope Ken is the final decision for full -time host.

Not happy about any of the celebrity guests.

Has that ever happened when a whole category stumps all 3 the whole way through?

There was the infamous football category which is on a list of Alex's favourite games - parts of games.  Here is a link to it on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nokeabmVQhg

Edited by Trey
  • Love 6
24 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

The infamous football category, when all three just stood there like bumps on logs while crickets chirped in the background.

And a civil war literature category, but I don't remember that one.

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I remember the football category. I too am terrible at football and so empathized with the contestants, but from what I understand the questions weren't terribly difficult. The audience was laughing along with Alex, though.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Trey said:

There was the infamous football category which is on a list of Alex's favourite games - parts of games.  Here is a link to it on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nokeabmVQhg

If they were going to do traditional job interviews for the Jeopardy host position, the candidates could be sent this video and then prepare for a similar situation, which would be acted out live in the studio for the presentation part of their interviews. 
--I suggest this having done and attended countless teaching demonstrations for the position of instruction librarian for colleges.
But I doubt any host candidates who were also qualified WRT general knowledge and poise could top Alex's quips.

• Love 1

According to a USA Today article on Jeopardy published this week, the dates for the next three guest hosts are set...

Katie Couric will have two weeks starting on March 5th. Then, quack/charlatan Dr. Oz pollutes the show for two weeks, starting March 22. Then Aaron Rodgers will start his two week stint the day after Easter, April 5th. Apparently, these shows were taped in January. The dates of the other guest hosts were not announced yet.

Very disappointing that a clown like Dr. Oz was selected for this. Richards' quotes in the article support Dr. Oz ("He was 'close' to Alex", was said as a justification, in addition to a general appeal for the Jeopardy community to be receptive, even to the hosts they may not like). I at least know what two weeks to skip. I think Aaron Rodgers will be great. He is a sharp guy and I am looking forward to his appearance.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2021/02/22/jeopardy-producer-guest-hosts-and-who-replace-alex-trebek/4538881001/

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, BigDfromLA said:

According to a USA Today article on Jeopardy published this week, the dates for the next three guest hosts are set...

Katie Couric will have two weeks starting on March 5th. Then, quack/charlatan Dr. Oz pollutes the show for two weeks, starting March 22. Then Aaron Rodgers will start his two week stint the day after Easter, April 5th. Apparently, these shows were taped in January. The dates of the other guest hosts were not announced yet.

Very disappointing that a clown like Dr. Oz was selected for this. Richards' quotes in the article support Dr. Oz ("He was 'close' to Alex", was said as a justification, in addition to a general appeal for the Jeopardy community to be receptive, even to the hosts they may not like). I at least know what two weeks to skip. I think Aaron Rodgers will be great. He is a sharp guy and I am looking forward to his appearance.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2021/02/22/jeopardy-producer-guest-hosts-and-who-replace-alex-trebek/4538881001/

I will probably watch at least some of the shows from Oz --kind of like not being able to turn away from a train wreck.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Con Men Throughout History for $600, please.

Ooo. Yes. Dear Writers, please do have that category (or something similar) with “Who is Dr. Oz” and “Who is Dr. Phil?” as answers   
––While Oz Is Hosting.  
Maybe it could be titled: NOT A DOC?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Ooo. Yes. Dear Writers, please do have that category (or something similar) with “Who is Dr. Oz” and “Who is Dr. Phil?” as answers   
––While Oz Is Hosting.  
Maybe it could be titled: NOT A DOC?

(But I play one on TV)

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

I thought Mike Richards did a good job hosting. I didn't realize he had done hosting before, so knowing that I guess I shouldn't be so surprised. I did laugh that he said "good for you" during the interviews on just his second day. I am looking forward to seeing how all the other guest hosts perform. So far, Ken Jennings and Mike have been fine IMO. I hope everyone else does well too so I can concentrate on the game, not the host.

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

OK, Mike. We got the "kinder, gentler" thing.  It's starting to come across as preachy.  Only four more to go.

Yes! And not too sincere. I liked "Thank you Alex" because Ken made it seem like he genuinely meant it each time (30 over six weeks!) and not just a sign off.

• Love 7

Is it ironic that so many are complaining and being less than kind and gentle about Mike Richard's "Alex wanted a kinder, gentler world" closing statement? And even less kind and gentle about upcoming guest hosts? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I dreamed they hired Jerry Springer & Maury Povich.  (Being a dream, of course it didn't make sense that there would be two hosts.)

Unless it's like "This Week" on Sunday mornings, which has two hosts (George Stephanopoulos and Martha Raditch)---just not during the same week. Or on L&O: CI, which alternated the lead detectives (Goran & Eames one week, Logan/Nichols & whoever the next)

• LOL 1
4 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Unless it's like "This Week" on Sunday mornings, which has two hosts (George Stephanopoulos and Martha Raditch)---just not during the same week. Or on L&O: CI, which alternated the lead detectives (Goran & Eames one week, Logan/Nichols & whoever the next)

Going back to the 50s - Bret & Bart Maverick! LOL...which brings us back to hosts, since Bart (Jack Kelly) hosted Sale of the Century for a short time.  I wouldn't mind seeing either Kelly or Garner as a J! host, but since they're both dead, it's not very likely.

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I am no longer upset about Oz. I dreamed they hired Jerry Springer & Maury Povich.  (Being a dream, of course it didn't make sense that there would be two hosts.)

Was this dream by any chance after your second Moderna vaccine shot? My cousin dreamed she was interviewing the Queen of England. Heh. 

3 hours ago, PBnJay said:

Is it ironic that so many are complaining and being less than kind and gentle about Mike Richard's "Alex wanted a kinder, gentler world" closing statement?

I'm never sure about when something is ironic or not, but if this is a good example, I would like to know.
And you can put me down on the imaginary list of those who hope the Kinder Gentler bit stays.

Trying to think of someone with a voice, personality, and intelligence that could forge a new path in Jeopardy hosting, Jeff Goldblum comes to mind, but, as with most who would meet my specifications, I think he's too busy. 
Anyway, I'm guessing TPTB are going to pick from the ones who already have episodes in the can.

I like Mike Richards enough but am hoping they choose someone else. I am surprised none of the press has mentioned that he was sued by a model from Price is Right(along with Freemantle) for discrimination. Granted, that was almost ten years ago but the internet has a way of coming back to bite people. Jeopardy should go with someone without baggage.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Was this dream by any chance after your second Moderna vaccine shot? My cousin dreamed she was interviewing the Queen of England. Heh. 

I'm never sure about when something is ironic or not, but if this is a good example, I would like to know.
And you can put me down on the imaginary list of those who hope the Kinder Gentler bit stays.

Trying to think of someone with a voice, personality, and intelligence that could forge a new path in Jeopardy hosting, Jeff Goldblum comes to mind, but, as with most who would meet my specifications, I think he's too busy. 
Anyway, I'm guessing TPTB are going to pick from the ones who already have episodes in the can.

I like Jeff Goldblum, but he kind of goes heavily overboard on the "look how quirky I am" schtick. I can't see him keeping with the pace. 

It seems like the trend in celebrity hosts on other shows has been to go with goofballs or sarcastic types, which I don't think Jeopardy needs.

• Love 1

I am not keen on Dr Oz, but I will still watch for the sake of the contestants.  Some of them have been waiting for years to get on the show and it's sad that they had to deal with him as host when they finally got the call.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

No. I got my first Pfizer on Thursday; 2nd scheduled for 03/18.  I dreamed this last night.  However, I was asleep when my cat cried out with a nightmare. I stayed up for an hour after that, petting & soothing Bosco. I think he was dreaming of the barred owl outside that chases people & animals.  After that was when I dreamed about Springer & Povich.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, EllenB said:

I like Jeff Goldblum, but he kind of goes heavily overboard on the "look how quirky I am" schtick. I can't see him keeping with the pace. 

It seems like the trend in celebrity hosts on other shows has been to go with goofballs or sarcastic types, which I don't think Jeopardy needs.

He read a category of clues for a game a little over a year ago, in the first week of December 2019 - I remember because I was watching while visiting a friend who lives far away, who I obviously haven't seen since due to Covid.

His reading was excruciatingly slow. I could barely stand him reading those five clues, let alone hosting the whole show.

• Useful 2
14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Oh, I hope not.

I have no problem with these guest hosts, so long as they are guest hosts.  And I would be surprised if any get the permanent job.  They should look for a broadcasting pro to do this job.  When Alex started that's what he was.  He wasn't a super big celebrity but had hosted other game shows. 

• Love 8
On 3/3/2021 at 1:43 PM, PBnJay said:

Is it ironic that so many are complaining and being less than kind and gentle about Mike Richard's "Alex wanted a kinder, gentler world" closing statement? And even less kind and gentle about upcoming guest hosts? 

I don't know if it's ironic or not, but I'm not going to feel bad about objecting to, then mocking Dr. Oz. He's not some innocent who deserves my consideration. He's a person disregarding sacred medical oaths and offering bad advice and treatments. 

• Love 8
40 minutes ago, Kromm said:

I don't know if it's ironic or not, but I'm not going to feel bad about objecting to, then mocking Dr. Oz

I might actually be looking forward to mocking the Great And Terrible Oz, heh.

• LOL 6