Type keyword(s) to search

Romantic Comedies

• Start Topic

Re-watched This Means War recently; I really like this one. It's a fun combo of rom-com and action tropes. I think the chemistry between the three leads really makes it work. The one downside is Chelsea Handler as Leading Lady's Friend; she just didn't mesh with everything else, as wasn't funny, IMHO.

Paid attention to the credits this time, and this was apparently a rom-com made by dudes, for dudes. But, obviously, I think there's plenty to like for women; Chris Pine and Tom Hardy are both hot and funny in this. I'd love some type of sequel, or another film with a similar energy.

Also this time I got a kick out of recognizing several Vancouver locations and actors that I've seen in CW shows!

• Love 1

Anyone have favourite Hallmark, Lifetime movies, etc.?  This year I've watched like 100 of them, and I am not kidding.  Some are good!  A lot are bad.  A lot are just ok.  After you completely immerse yourself in that world you start to realize which plots and tropes you enjoy versus ones you don't enjoy, and same with the actors that always regularly star in these - which actors you love versus which are just terrible.

Here are some great ones I've enjoyed:

(Always be My Maybe, Set it Up, Palm Springs, To All the Boys I've Loved Before are Netflix/Hulu)

Netflix/Lifetime:

Timeless Love (2019):  I was blown away by this one.  The protagonist wakes up in an alternative reality where she no longer has her husband and kids, so she ends up getting a job where she can work for her "husband".  This type of trope has been done before, but the leads were just so cute.

Holidaze (2013):  This is the first one that got me hooked on all the rest.  Stars Jennie Garth and Cameron Mathison.  Of course, Jennie wakes up in an alternate reality where she no longer has her high powered job.  Lol, what else?  I love the two stars.

Just My Type (2020):  A movie about two writers starring Bethenny Joy Lenz and and Brett Dalton.  I just found it very witty and likeable.

More:

A Taste of Romance (2012)
The Secret Ingredient (2020)
You're Bacon Me Crazy (2020). Yes seriously.  And I clearly have a thing for these food movies.
Switched for Christmas  (2017) Candace Cameron Bure playing twins.
The Christmas Parade (2014) I think that Annalynne McCord is a genius
12 Men of Christmas (2009). Kristen Chenoweth is making a calendar of hot men.... What more do you need?

I could go on and on!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, aradia22 said:

This is probably my favorite Lifetime Christmas rom-com (not my favorite genre). It's not the best acting from anyone involved but it makes me happy. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480844/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_49

That is one of the movies I tried this year.  Christine Baranski and Bobby Cannavale, what a cast, I couldn't miss it.  I thought it was wacky and weird but the dance scenes were great!  I totally get why it would be a favourite.

• Love 3

Watched The Goodbye Girl tonight. I had never seen it before. It was very good but for the life of me I could not get the SNL spoof of it out of my head because John Belushi just NAILED Richard Dreyfuss: “I. Don’t. Like. The. Panties. Hanging. From. The. Rod!!”

• Love 5

There are so many new movies to stream (along with shows) but tonight I just had to watch You’ve Got Mail for the billionth time because I found it on HBO Max. I don’t know why I love it so much because they fell in love despite him putting her out of business. Maybe it’s the humor or chemistry.

Has anyone watched In Other Words on HBO Max? It looks like a cute romantic movie.

• Love 4

Did anyone try "Super Intelligence"?  Critics haaaaaaated it, but I thought it was cute.  Melissa McCarthy and Bobby Cannavale have a cute romance in it.

Also "Barb and Star go to Vista Del Mar".  The humour is very weird, and It's getting mixed reactions, but I loved it.  

Here's some romcoms I've enjoyed this past year for the first time:

Dirty Dancing, Party Girl (1995), Mrs. Winterbourne, My Favourite Wife, Cactus Flower ("Just Go with It" is a remake of this), Better off Dead, Grumpy Old Men, Career Opportunities, Hope Floats, New in Town (2009), Charade.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

Mrs Winterbourne is great, have you seen Blast From the Past? My love for Brendan Fraser is unapologetic lol. Those are peak Brendan hotness.

I recently watched Always Be My Maybe, I thought it was very cute and honest.

Watched Stardust last week and I really enjoyed it. I didn't realize it was such an epic romance.

My favorite hallmarks are:

Remember Sunday, Loving Leah, How To Fall In Love. I tend to like the unconventional ones.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, blugirlami21 said:

Mrs Winterbourne is great, have you seen Blast From the Past? My love for Brendan Fraser is unapologetic lol. Those are peak Brendan hotness.

I love Blast From the Past.  It's such a cute movie.  I love Brendan Fraser, too.  It also just occurred to me that you could put George of the Jungle in here, as well (somebody may already have discussed it--it's been a while since I've been through the whole tread).  When I saw the preview and thought it looked really stupid, but had to take a kid I was babysitting.  It surprised me.  I left the theater amused and completely charmed by it.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 7

That one is not my favorite but it's def a romance. You could also throw in Encino Man gosh I haven't seen that one in ages. Might try to find that one. ThebMummy is absolute peak best Brendan Fraser, it's def one of my favorite romances. Inkheart is also good but not really a romance. I could go on and on lol.

Trying to think who else I love to watch. I used to love Hugh Grant. Two Weeks Notice is great.

Am I the only one that hates About Time? I hate that it's at the top of everyone's list. The idea that some guy meets someone who doesn't like him and then goes back in time over and over to make her fall in love is not peak romance to me. Like Sleepless In Seattle before it. I just find it creepy. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, blugirlami21 said:

I recently watched Always Be My Maybe, I thought it was very cute and honest.

Watched Stardust last week and I really enjoyed it. I didn't realize it was such an epic romance.

My favorite hallmarks are:

Remember Sunday, Loving Leah, How To Fall In Love. I tend to like the unconventional ones.

Thanks for the Hallmark recommendations.  "How to Fall In Love" was very cute.

I saw Blast from the Past as well.  I really enjoyed it.  

"Always Be My Maybe" was my favourite movie of 2019, period.  I'm always talking that movie up!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
On 2/28/2021 at 4:33 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Thanks for the Hallmark recommendations.  "How to Fall In Love" was very cute.

I saw Blast from the Past as well.  I really enjoyed it.  

"Always Be My Maybe" was my favourite movie of 2019, period.  I'm always talking that movie up!

You're welcome. I watch How to Fall In Love annually lol. I just love that they really fall in love over time. Harold is adorable.

• Love 6
On 3/1/2021 at 11:45 PM, blugirlami21 said:

You're welcome. I watch How to Fall In Love annually lol. I just love that they really fall in love over time. Harold is adorable.

Ok, I found another movie with kind of a similar plot.  I found it really funny.  You might enjoy it.  It's called "Blueprint to the Heart" and it's a 2020 release.  If you can find a way to watch it you might want to try it.

• Useful 1

This is not really a rom-com. It's not like when I said, watch GameFace, it's like a rom-com as a TV show. But I really enjoyed Mystic Pop-Up Bar and I want everyone to watch it. It's definitely romantic. I just wish there had been more comedy but the show gets kind of sidetracked by a villain in the latter half. Anyway, you get what feels like an adorable teen romance between two 20-something characters who (for plot reasons) have never dated anyone else so they're adorably awkward. And you get an older couple romance that should appeal to anyone who likes that unlikely partnership dynamic. Think Bones, Warehouse 13, Castle, etc. I'm sure it started with Moonlighting. I won't call it a rom-com because there is a lot of drama. It might appeal to you if you like emotional catharsis/melodrama stuff where you cry a lot. It's on Netflix if anyone is interested. 

All the romance is VERY chaste. I don't know if that will be a selling point or a deterrent. 

• Love 1
On 3/13/2021 at 8:41 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Ok, I found another movie with kind of a similar plot.  I found it really funny.  You might enjoy it.  It's called "Blueprint to the Heart" and it's a 2020 release.  If you can find a way to watch it you might want to try it.

I'll definitely see if I can check it out. It looks super cute.

• Love 2
(edited)

It has been a long time since I've seen it but I think I liked it.  It's worth watching to see just for the point of view...its largely black cast, written by a black woman, produced by a black/biracial woman and directed by a woman. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5

It's not high on my list because I think Simon Baker is gross and smarmy but I'm curious if there might be some hidden gems in the rom-coms I skipped. From the critiques I've read, I think this movie is probably not for me. 

• Love 1
On 4/2/2021 at 7:21 PM, aradia22 said:

Has anyone ever watched Something New? I feel like there's a whole world of second or third tier rom-coms and it's hard to tell whether they're good from the distribution of fan (usually Amazon) reviews. 

http://archive.boston.com/ae/movies/articles/2006/02/03/theres_nothing_novel_about_something_new/

I'd recommend it. I liked that it's from a Black woman's perspective; it was cute. The leads did have good chemistry. But if you really don't like Baker, I get it.

• Love 7

Was starting to give up on romcoms.  Some I watched not long ago were just vulgar for the sake of being vulgar ( no comedy).  Then a few I just thought when the movie ended the couples would not stay together. 

a few weeks ago I tried to watch some 

really like Alie’s wedding even though Ali is making all the wrong choices and he does hurt people in the process you understand why he is making the choices.   His two love interest are both beautiful and interesting.  

Spoiler

Spoiler

55067AA8-F9FA-4F62-AB4F-8E550E58E8AE.png

Edited by tribeca
Trying and failing to get of spoiler tags
On 4/2/2021 at 7:21 PM, aradia22 said:

Has anyone ever watched Something New? I feel like there's a whole world of second or third tier rom-coms and it's hard to tell whether they're good from the distribution of fan (usually Amazon) reviews. 

http://archive.boston.com/ae/movies/articles/2006/02/03/theres_nothing_novel_about_something_new/

I've seen it many times. It's one of my favorites.  It's different. I would say that Simon Baker is at his most charming and at like peak hotness for me. Nothing like his later usual types of characters. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

I watched Some Kind Of Wonderful today. It was interesting, not really what I was expecting at all. I thought that Watts and Keith would be closer. I found their relationship to be somewhat antagonistic tbh.

Great kiss scene and very sweet ending tho. I thought that everyone was very attractive oddly enough lol

• Love 6

I've been trying to watch a bunch of 80s movies that I never watched.  That one really didn't do it for me, to be honest.  I thought that the characters were smug assholes.  "Dirty Dancing" on the other hand I was blown away by!

• Love 4

I definitely agree. None of them were really likeable enough for me to really care about them in the end.

Dirty dancing is an objectively good movie for me. I don't really love it or hate it.

Feel like I like the sketch or weird ones best lol.  Sixteen Candles, Overboard, Splash, Big, etc

• Love 2
On 2/28/2021 at 2:06 PM, blugirlami21 said:

That one is not my favorite but it's def a romance. You could also throw in Encino Man gosh I haven't seen that one in ages. Might try to find that one. ThebMummy is absolute peak best Brendan Fraser, it's def one of my favorite romances. Inkheart is also good but not really a romance. I could go on and on lol.

Trying to think who else I love to watch. I used to love Hugh Grant. Two Weeks Notice is great.

Am I the only one that hates About Time? I hate that it's at the top of everyone's list. The idea that some guy meets someone who doesn't like him and then goes back in time over and over to make her fall in love is not peak romance to me. Like Sleepless In Seattle before it. I just find it creepy. 

Ahh I love Two Weeks Notice...probably one of my favorite Hugh Grant movies.  I love the end with him walking around her parents’ apartment. That scene never fails to make me laugh. 

• Love 10
9 hours ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

Ahh I love Two Weeks Notice...probably one of my favorite Hugh Grant movies.

I didn't think Hugh Grant and Sandra Bullock had romantic chemistry, but they're both so charming that I still enjoyed watching. The surprise Donald Trump cameo is...weird. I remember hearing that he insisted on being included in a movie if one of his properties was used as a location or something.

I don't think I've seen anyone mention The Map of Tiny Perfect Things on Amazon. It probably got overshadowed by Palm Springs since it's also a time loop romantic comedy but with teens. It's not as good but it's sweet and I really liked the leads.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

I don't think I've seen anyone mention The Map of Tiny Perfect Things on Amazon. It probably got overshadowed by Palm Springs since it's also a time loop romantic comedy but with teens. It's not as good but it's sweet and I really liked the leads.

Eventually I'll try this one.  So thank you.

Two Weeks Notice is probably in my Top 5 romcoms I am very passionate about it.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5

I remember having watched Two Weeks Notice but it didn't make a huge impact. I was very young so it was probably too much of a movie about adults with real jobs for me. I should definitely watch it again. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I remember having watched Two Weeks Notice but it didn't make a huge impact.

Same here.  I dislike most romantic comedies, but I don't remember that one irritating me, yet I don't remember it being an exception to my rule, either.  I cannot call up a single scene in my memory.  I'll have to watch it again if I come across it.

• Love 1

A lot of romcoms grew on me over the years.  I watched a lot in the 2000s that I thought were not good and now I really like:

Love:  The Truth About Cats and Dogs, Reality Bites, When Harry Met Sally, Music & Lyrics (Another Hugh Grant one!)

Like:  The Proposal.  I realllllly made fun of this one when it came out.  LOL.  Life or Something Like It - Ditto!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Love:  The Truth About Cats and Dogs,

I need to re-watch that; it's one of the rare romantic comedies I saw in the theatre, which I did because of Janeane Garafalo, and I remember it being an exception to my dislike of the genre but don't remember any specifics as to why.  Because I'll probably like it again, I need to take a second look.

• Love 7

More Romcoms that grew on me

Like:  Fools Rush In, The Break Up, Monster In Law, Nine Months , What's your Number, Three to Tango

Love:  It's Complicated , Notting Hill 

I loved "Fever Pitch", the Drew Barrymore/Jimmy Fallon one, the very first time I saw it, which wasn't until 2016.  If you love baseball or are a sport fanatic in anyway it goes double that you have to try it.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Like:  Fools Rush In,

I saw this on a flight and gave a moment's thought to looking for an ejection seat.  I just had another drink instead, but ouch.

2 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I loved "Fever Pitch", the Drew Barrymore/Jimmy Fallon one, the very first time I saw it,

Oh, that's another one of the few of this genre I saw in the theatre; I don't remember specifics, but I - as someone who plans my life around football season almost as obsessively as he plans his around baseball - generally liked it.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

I saw this on a flight and gave a moment's thought to looking for an ejection seat.  I just had another drink instead, but ouch.

Oh, that's another one of the few of this genre I saw in the theatre; I don't remember specifics, but I - as someone who plans my life around football season almost as obsessively as he plans his around baseball - generally liked it.

I’m with you on Fools Rush In...just tiresome.  Honestly most of Perry’s romcoms were...though I did enjoy The Whole Nine Yards...

• Love 3
On 4/29/2021 at 12:34 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Like:  Fools Rush In, The Break Up, Monster In Law, Nine Months , What's your Number, Three to Tango

I loved "Fever Pitch", the Drew Barrymore/Jimmy Fallon one, the very first time I saw it, which wasn't until 2016.  If you love baseball or are a sport fanatic in anyway it goes double that you have to try it.

My family and I watched Nine Months when it came out on VHS and its my mom and my turn to pick the movie. An hour and a half after we finished watching it my brother (who was in high school) announced he realized why the movie was called Nine Months. My parents and I laugh so hard. So did his girlfriend (now wife) who when I told her about it. We still tease him about it to this day.

• LOL 3
56 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

My family and I watched Nine Months when it came out on VHS and its my mom and my turn to pick the movie. An hour and a half after we finished watching it my brother (who was in high school) announced he realized why the movie was called Nine Months. My parents and I laugh so hard. So did his girlfriend (now wife) who when I told her about it. We still tease him about it to this day.

That's really cute.  

• Love 2

One basic  complaints about rom coms is that the men date women out of the league.   Some of the rom coms though in beginning the women don’t present their best selves.  The hair is a mess or they wear unflattering clothes or both. 
   It’s one reason I always loved while you were sleeping.  Lucy is so sad and alone.  She really does not change who she is in the movie.  She just gets out of her sadness.  She finds love and a family.  

• Love 11
(edited)

I love rom-coms and watch them pretty often. There are a lot that I enjoy that I never see get mentioned:

New In Town

No Strings Attached

A Lot Like Love

Kissing A Fool

The Other Sister

Catch and Release

Only You

Going the Distance

Someone Like You

'Til There Was You

The Five-Year Engagement

Forget Paris

The Rebound

Edited by jazzygem
  • Love 4

Catch and Release is an interesting one, it's one I really enjoy. Jennifer Garner is a national treasure.

I also love Til there was you. Its so hard to find tho.

On 4/29/2021 at 2:34 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Love Fools Rush In, Nine Months, What's Your Number? and Three To Tango. I like the quirky ones.

Bye Bye Love is also one I really enjoy.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, jazzygem said:

I love rom-coms and watch them pretty often. There are a lot that I enjoy that I never see get mentioned:

New In Town

Yeah, I mentioned upthread that I watched it for the first time this past Christmas.  I wonder why I never saw it in 2009.  Anyway, I think it's going to become a holiday staple for me.  

12 hours ago, jazzygem said:

No Strings Attached

One of my favourites!

• Love 1
10 hours ago, blugirlami21 said:

I also love Til there was you. Its so hard to find tho.

The whole movie is on Youtube

10 hours ago, blugirlami21 said:

Love Fools Rush In, Nine Months, What's Your Number? and Three To Tango. I like the quirky ones.

I really like Three To Tango, as well. Also, Forces of Nature, The Object of My Affection, No Reservations, Kissing Jessica Stein, Sliding Doors, Singles, Cousins,  and Addicted to Love.

I watch good amount of indie/smaller budget movies and have found some enjoyable romcoms in that realm, too.

An Invisible Sign

Saved!

The Way You Look Tonight

Plus One

Juliet, Naked

Friends with Kids

Lola Versus

The Giant Mechanical Man 

Take Care

Jane Wants a Boyfriend

• Useful 2
  • Love 2