Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Capoeira

Scarlett45
  • Start Topic

Yikes. Was this show always so heavy on sex montages? 

I like how Callie is with the man who she's trying to help get out of jail.

Dennis not even calling to say he was cancelling the date and leaving town for a while is really too much. Go ahead, freak out if you have to freak out, but to just disappear like that is past grief and into criminal self-absorption. Even if he didn't have a history of suicidality, it would be bad. But especially given what happened last time he disappeared, he really owes it to his friends to let them know.  I get that they are sort of implying that he's mentally ill and just can't do better, but I am not sure I like it. I do like that "you can't fix him" is getting hammered home, though. 

I think "it's not wise to date my boss, so let's do it in secret" is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen, and that's saying a lot, given Mariana's track record of foolish behaviors. Evan also ought to know better, given his history of being sued and all the fallout from similar situations at the company.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

Yikes. Was this show always so heavy on sex montages? 

Yes. Heavy and boring

It looks like they are going to make Jamie the bad guy now, so they can redeem Callie and her annoyance from the last season. Expected, I guess. Now, how she passed the bar without really studying it will remain a mystery.

Capoeira, as it is practiced today is like a dance and there is no touching except the initial greeting, which is basically a hand shake.

Very boring episode

These sex montages are so not sexy, they're just uncomfortably filmed, like your trying to watch a movie while the couple in front of you at the theater is pawing at each other the whole time. Also, why does this show hate linear storytelling? Its not artsy, its just annoying. 

Really, Jaimie was way more civil about breaking up with Callie than I think most people would be considering she stole from him and is probably going to get him fired. Like, obviously his bosses will figure out where the leak came from, and they might even think he was directly involved in leaking the information and that could get around and make him finding another legal job harder. I guess Callie is fine with that because he called the cops on her new project. So is Callie done with the tenets at the apartment and is going to be championing the mentally ill now? Hope they get to actually keep their homes and don't end up getting kicked out anyway but with none of the money that Callie talked them out of taking. Callie changes causes so quickly, I wonder if she starts getting them mixed up sometimes. One day she is lecturing everyone about the health care system then she starts getting her health care facts mixed up with her immigration reform facts/lecture and everyone just gets confused. I did think it was funny when her new boss asked her what she did to unwind, and Callie said she never unwound. That's probably the most self aware thing Callie has ever said. 

Mariana is now back to making even worse life choices, dating her boss is only going to cause problems. Especially considering what already happened with Evan and his other female employee and Raj still working there, and I guess this means Mariana never has to tell Raj she cheated on him? 

It sucks that Denis basically ghosted Davia after they hooked up, so is he leaving the show? For the first episode after a long hiatus, this was a pretty dull episode. Not terrible, and I am glad Callie is back with everyone again, but not much to get super excited about. Especially the prospect of Callie in a boring romance with Gael and her being insufferable about yet another cause. 

• Love 3

I admit I’m a single gal with a vow of celibacy during this pandemic so I appreciated the sex montages. 

I am 100% team Jaime on this one! Callie STOLE from him. I just cannot. Also- bar results come via email, and they did a decade ago when I got mine. 

I felt really bad for Davia- Dennis is so damn inconsiderate. 

$250k bail for a non violent crime where no property was damaged. Really? Why not just ask for her passport?? Who’s got $25k to loan them for bail? Dennis maybe? Poor Malika. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Mariana is now back to making even worse life choices, dating her boss is only going to cause problems. Especially considering what already happened with Evan and his other female employee and Raj still working there, and I guess this means Mariana never has to tell Raj she cheated on him? 

Mariana. It is such a bad idea to not just date your boss, but date the head of the company. Plus, she hooked up with him before she broke up with the other co-worker she dated. If she really wants to date Evan she should find a new job so there is no conflict.

Raj is definitely going to find out about Mariana cheating. Everyone at that office is going to find out and it will look terrible for Mariana.

I also felt really bad for the roommate that basically got run out of her apartment for nothing. 

38 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I admit I’m a single gal with a vow of celibacy during this pandemic so I appreciated the sex montages. 

I am 100% team Jaime on this one! Callie STOLE from him. I just cannot. Also- bar results come via email, and they did a decade ago when I got mine. 

$250k bail for a non violent crime where no property was damaged. Really? Why not just ask for her passport?? Who’s got $25k to loan them for bail? Dennis maybe? Poor Malika. 

I am with Jamie too, Callie is lucky he isn't pressing charges. She really thought they could still have a relationship? Family dinners with Brandon's wife will be awkward now.

The last time Callie took the bar she got her results online. Guess they wanted more drama for the reveal. But it was pretty obvious she would pass since they were clearly setting up her getting a lawyer job. There was no reference to her taking the bar last season, and now suddenly she already took it again? They seem to be doing a total reset with Callie's storyline....getting rid of Jamie, getting rid of legal aid, changing the tenant case. Maybe they will get her to be more integrated with the rest of the cast now.

Maybe the BLM people will help with bail? It was their protest that got her in trouble, and their "network" that the DA used to claim Malika is a risk.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

They seem to be doing a total reset with Callie's storyline....getting rid of Jamie, getting rid of legal aid, changing the tenant case. Maybe they will get her to be more integrated with the rest of the cast now.

Maybe. 

That sex montage was the limpest attempt at eroticism I've seen in quite some time. Mechanical, emotionless, exaggerated flounder thrusting. It wasn't even graphic, just horribly awkward. You could tell producers thought the slo mo would make it sensual, but on top of that it just looked like the director told the actors to pelvic thrust at 0.5x the speed. Everyone looked so uncomfortable.

In real life, Jaime would sue the fuck out of Callie, but because she's a manic pixie dream girl, they're sexy rivals now. Sure.

So to recap, Mariana dumps Raj for thinking about sex with someone else, but neglects to mention she already actually had sex with someone else. That's coming out at some point, right? And it's so weird that she used to bang her coworker in the same office where she's now also fucked her boss. Mariana, maybe try fucking people you don't work with? 

They're really going full Jennifer's Body with Isabella now, huh?

It's poetic irony that Malika is fighting for issues that impact her community and gets arrested, but Callie has done just as much if not more illegal shit, largely for empty virtue signaling, and is now a licensed lawyer. Hello, white privilege!!!

Davia needs a new arc. I'm sick of her being sad and mopey all the time. Dennis drains the life from her character. He's the worst and the most boring to watch. We get it, you're grieving your son...now what? It's the same storyline and emotional beats episode after episode. I get that they're trying to de-stigmatize men 35+ (???) having mental health and self-harm issues, but he's a self-absorbed, kind of manipulative person whose characterization never evolves beyond "grief guy."

Countdown til Callie fucks Gael again!

Edited by SnarkEnthusiast
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Well that was ... interesting.

As much as I think Mariana and Evan have way more chemistry than she and Raj ever had, this whole "let's date in secret" thing is not just dumb but blatant plot fodder. You can see where it is going to lead so there is very little suspense in the story. And since they work in a friggin office where the walls are all made of glass and can't seem to not eye fuck each other across the room, that secret is not going to be secret for very long.

Also 100% team Jaimie.  Was before this episode aired.  Callie did him dirty.  But she'll come out smelling like roses somehow. Because of course she passed the bar and of course Constance Zimmer shows up like some Job fairy godmother. 

I don't understand what they are trying to accomplish with crazy roommate.  I mean she has been shown to be manipulative and she did try to move in on Raj even if they didn't sleep together so she wouldn't be a great roommate for Mariana.  I don't feel too bad for her.

Sigh.  Malika's storyline.  I will be glad when we get past Malika being black activists all the time. Real activists are not activizing 24/7.  And I hate that her identity has been her storyline and the show seems to want to Forrest Gump her through all things Black Trauma. 

I will say on the plus side, at least this episode was mercifully free of the weird time-line shenanigans/non-linear storytelling that plagued the show all all least season

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

In real life, Jaime would sue the fuck out of Callie, but because she's a manic pixie dream girl, they're sexy rivals now. Sure

It's poetic irony that Malika is fighting for issues that impact her community and gets arrested, but Callie has done just as much if not more illegal shit, largely for empty virtue signaling, and is now a licensed lawyer. Hello, white privilege!!!

Perfect points

Countdown til Callie fucks Gael again!

Hasn't she already?

8 hours ago, DearEvette said:

But she'll come out smelling like roses somehow. Because of course she passed the bar and of course Constance Zimmer shows up like some Job fairy godmother.

Callie passed the bar without studying and was hired to second chair even before she exchanged a few words with her new boss. Should we expect courtroom battles when the fresh second chair wins the jury and the judge

• Love 1
3 hours ago, circumvent said:

Hasn't she already?

No the end scene showed that was the new roommate with a brown bob who had sex with Gael. It was a misdirect from the opening scene. 
Im not surprised they had sex, when he came to move her sofa they were making decisions eyes at each other, and she got naked in an empty closet to sexually proposition him. 

Edited to add- the new roommate's name is Isabella, but I had to confirm on google. 

• Love 3
On 2/18/2021 at 7:04 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I'm not single, but I like the sex montages too.

Callie is already annoying me.

Malika and Davia can never catch a break.

I'm glad the show is back, even though it's really predictable. I still enjoy it for what it is. 

• Love 2