Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Catching Up With Hailey 1

• Start Topic

Airs January 10, 2021

Tiarra hears the Matthew drama when she gets together with Hailey 1. Taron threatens to take Reanna to court to see his baby. Myrka and Ethan prepare for an extravagant gender reveal party.

Reanna & Taron—I, like, can’t stand her mom?  With her...uptalk?  I have to keep reminding myself that just because this woman is going to be a grandma, she’s only about four years out of her twenties, though I still think she’s immature and uneducated by that standard.  I’m starting to realize that Taron is ghetto trash.  Dude.  Pull your fucking pants up.  So what if Reanna wants her mom there for the Caesarean section instead of Taron?  Are Reanna and Taron even a couple?  Didn’t he have sex with someone else?  I fail to understand the premium this show puts on the father being there for the birth.  I think it’s fine for the father to be there when the child is born if that’s something agreed to by both parties, but on this show, they act like if the father doesn’t physically see his child get birthed, the man will abandon his child, like he’s some kind of wild species.  I don’t know or care if my dad was in the delivery room with me or my sister, but I know he was there when we were growing up, and that’s what matters to me.  

I know I brought this up last season, but since this is the NFL Playoffs, this is on my mind again—when Tom Brady got Bridget Moynahan pregnant, but then he immediately got together with Gisele Bundchen (whom he went on to marry and have several more kids with), the media asked Bridget if Tom was going to be in the delivery room when she had the baby and she just laughed and said “no!”  Having a baby is a very intimate experience—probably more intimate than sex—and if the parents aren’t a couple, I think it’s fine and rather normal for the mom-to-be not to invite the father to be there.    

Jenna & Aden—Aden’s mom with the kids all spread out in age is actually interesting.  I liked his mom.  If she had a baby at 17 and the child is now 31, I assume she’s around 48, which is old enough to be Reanna’s mom’s mom and that’s clear from her demeanor.  Then again, the bar is set on the low side.  Jenna’s apple didn’t fall far from her father’s tree with his “code-grand parenting.”  

I disagree with Jenna when it comes to her dad’s attitude about her mom—they’re divorced, which kinda means they don’t have to deal with each other anymore.  That is why people get divorced!  The mom can very easily have another <eye roll> baby shower for this stupid spoiled brat; the dad doesn’t have to shoulder the burden of paying for the thing and then also deferring to his 17 year old daughter about whether he is going to socialize with his ex-wife.  Jenna can miss me with that shit.  

Myrka & Ethan—is all they have the “gender reveal”?  This is so boring.  Failure to launch.  I’ve given up trying to understand Myrka when she mumbles down into her huge ta-tas.  Here’s hoping she and her ambiguous boyfriend will be one and done.  I knew that Myrka’s mom would show up at the “gender reveal,” because even if she thinks teenage pregnancy is not something to celebrate, she isn’t that adamant that she wouldn’t sign a release and show her face on this show to have her life and talking heads filmed, and given that the “gender reveal” is their only storyline, it was plain as day Liliana would show up.  Snore.  Could that “gender reveal” have been dragged out any longer?!?!?  I don’t remember last season being this slow.  When the show went to commercial before they would reveal the “gender,” I said to my husband, “if that’s not twins—if there is not pink and blue in there—this show is really taking the audience for a ride.”  That entire last segment was beyond bogus and a waste of my time.  I don’t give a shit about cha-cha dancers and fake mustaches—there are four other girls in the sophomore class alone who are pregnant—helure!!—you guys aren’t special.  

Tyra & Alex—it’s becoming increasingly obvious to me that Tyra is away at college in an effort to pawn off her baby on her mom and sister.  If that works for them, fine, but since it doesn’t work for the sister, who is younger, I think it’s time for Tyra to make a change.  She’s being selfish.  Don’t drop out of school, obviously, but stay home and attend a school within commuting distance until you can work your shit out enough to get someone who is willing to watch your baby all the time.  That’s called life.

If I remember Tyra’s story from last season, she knew about birth control, as she had been pregnant before and miscarried at five months.  So, after that fabulous mishap, she decided to have unprotected sex with a guy who can barely tie his shoes and...she expected this to somehow work out differently?  This isn’t on Alex’s mom moving her boyfriend in either.  No one is directly responsible for that child except the parents and neither of them are stepping up to the plate, even though Tyra is making a better show of it than Alex and using better buzzwords.  

Hailey—I am not a baby person at all, and I think her kid is cute.  Much cuter than any other baby that’s been on this show IMO.  Hailey is also really pretty—now that she’s no longer pregnant, her bone structure comes through, and I could see her doing some amateur modeling or something, which is great, because let’s face it, she’s not exactly going to win the grammar bee anytime soon.  Big fucking shock that Matthew and Hailey II broke up.  I think it’s gross and sad that Hailey I is still having sex with Matthew.  She can do so much better.  I’d like to see her get on really solid birth control and find a different guy from a different demographic, maybe a man who’s been married and divorced with his own kid(s) and earning some kind of paycheck and living in his own home, maybe a guy in his early twenties who can set a good example for her.  God knows her mother—the one that bragged on camera last season that Matthew was still coming over to have sex when he was with Hailey II—isn’t going to lead her to the promised land.  

As much as I complain about how stupid and arrested these people are, they strike me as so real.  I believe each and every one of their stories is unfolding pretty much exactly the way they’re telling it to us on camera, and that type of authenticity has become increasingly hard to find on reality shows, so, even though nothing even happened on this episode, it is still probably my favorite reality show right now.  

• Love 13

It seemed like Myrka’s mom had a change of heart after she got a look at Ethan’s parents’ seemingly affluent lifestyle. I believe her exact words were, “this is some party. I can’t believe they did all this for my daughter.”

I can’t believe Hayley is back having sex with Matthew after all he put her through.   That young lady has no self esteem. None whatsoever. I have a feeling she will be featured next season with baby #2.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

I fail to understand the premium this show puts on the father being there for the birth.  I think it’s fine for the father to be there when the child is born if that’s something agreed to by both parties, but on this show, they act like if the father doesn’t physically see his child get birthed, the man will abandon his child, like he’s some kind of wild species.

Everyone acts like the birth is a social event! And why do the fathers need to be at every doctor's appointment? Sheesh. 

5 hours ago, Adeejay said:

It seemed like Myrka’s mom had a change of heart after she got a look at Ethan’s parents’ seemingly affluent lifestyle. I believe her exact words were, “this is some party. I can’t believe they did all this for my daughter.”

"I can't believe these suckers did this for my worthless tramp of a daughter"

Hailey 1 is such a chump and a fool. The end. 

• Love 8

From Tiarra, the scholar, when the mom was playing with the kids, saying, where is your Mommy ?

"HER is at school "

Um, her ?!?!

What I find shocking in the Myrka storyline is that they wasted hundreds/thousands of $ on this silly gender reveal when Baby's parents have literally no source of income. But I guess that's what people do these days. Myrka looked 40 at the party but I did like the mariachi band and dancers, very cool. I love that kind of stuff.

Tyra really needs to get her ass home and take care of her daughter. I know it stinks to leave cheer and college but that's what happens when you become a parent. This will be the 1st of many sacrifices she will need to make for her child.

Dingbat Jenna is a child and her father owes her no explanation about why he is insisting on 2 showers.

Hailey is a pretty girl and could have a good life if she would lose that BUM - I cant believe she's shacking up w him again. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Chris Knight said:

her father owes her no explanation about why he is insisting on 2 showers

An immediate family member throwing the shower is tacky and inappropriate.   In case this crew didn't have enough of that already.

• Love 5

As much as I loved the party, it was way over the top and the money could have been used in a better way.  Even if the grandparents are "well off", put it in a college fund for the kid or invest in birth control for your stupid kids.

• Love 13
22 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

Tyra & Alex—it’s becoming increasingly obvious to me that Tyra is away at college in an effort to pawn off her baby on her mom and sister.  If that works for them, fine, but since it doesn’t work for the sister, who is younger, I think it’s time for Tyra to make a change.  

Yeah, her sister is 1000% DONE with getting stuck with the consequences of Tyra's mistakes. I wouldn't be surprised if she gets an implant or IUD as soon as she can. Honestly, why in the hell didn't these multi-generational teen mom moms get their kids on something long term from the minute they hit puberty? 

Hailey 1 is a pretty, sweet idiot. "Oh, poor Matthew is hurting so much!" What, because his side piece kicked him out after he managed to forget how condoms work with her too? This guy who bailed on you to immediately bang your best friend? Poor Matthew!

Every time one of these teen moms has a girl, the angels weep for the future.

• Love 9
50 minutes ago, CoyoteBlue said:

Hailey 1 is a pretty, sweet idiot. "Oh, poor Matthew is hurting so much!" What, because his side piece kicked him out after he managed to forget how condoms work with her too? This guy who bailed on you to immediately bang your best friend? Poor Matthew!

It’s troubling that she has so little self-worth. And that her mother condones and probably enables their relationship. 

• Love 5

Tyra's sister is so angry!  Last season it was all laughs and, Look at the three of us all having babies together. Not so much now that they're here.  Tyra is doing absolutely the right thing, getting an education, leaving her child with its father. It's stupid Alex who won't step up & his grandmother who won't control who's in her house.  It sucks that childcare falls on the sister & the mom right now but in 4 years Tyra will be able to get a better paying job than if she'd stayed home with the kids. 

And the last thing I needed was an update on sad-sack Hailey 1, which was hardly an update since her life is virtually the same.  So now I resent Tyra's sister for 2 things.

Edited by TakeAPinotGrigio
  • Love 1
On 1/11/2021 at 7:23 AM, Chris Knight said:

From Tiarra, the scholar, when the mom was playing with the kids, saying, where is your Mommy ?

"HER is at school "

Um, her ?!?!

This has come up before, but I'm not positive if it was this show or another stupid teen mom show.  It's a type of baby talk in some circles/areas.

On 1/10/2021 at 9:26 PM, Auntie Anxiety said:

I had my closed captioning on and I laughed when it gave Reanna’s obstetrician’s name as Dr. Stork-Fury. Did I read that right?

Yes, you did.  I wonder if she went with the hyphenate because she specializes in teen pregnancies.

On 1/10/2021 at 9:07 PM, LibertarianSlut said:

So what if Reanna wants her mom there for the Caesarean section instead of Taron?  Are Reanna and Taron even a couple?  Didn’t he have sex with someone else?  I fail to understand the premium this show puts on the father being there for the birth. 

It don't think it's this show--it's Reanna's mom in particular, the very person who Reanna does want in the delivery room, who's pushing for Taron to be there instead.  Wouldn't most mothers be fighting their daughter's baby daddy to be in the room, if it came down to one or the other?

I knew that Myrka’s mom would show up at the “gender reveal,” because even if she thinks teenage pregnancy is not something to celebrate, she isn’t that adamant that she wouldn’t sign a release and show her face on this show to have her life and talking heads filmed, and given that the “gender reveal” is their only storyline, it was plain as day Liliana would show up.  Snore. 

I'd be torn if I were in her shoes.  I wouldn't want to participate in any of this at all, but I'd also be afraid to let the show portray me strictly through Myrka and Ethan and Ethan's parents' descriptions of me and my actions and my opinions.  Lilliana said she was against the pregnancy because it would ruin her daughter's life.  I don't think any of these other people would have been that clear, or fair. 

So she's kind of held hostage by Myrka being on the show, just like she would be held hostage by the pregnancy if she didn't stand her ground and say nope, not in my house.

That entire last segment was beyond bogus and a waste of my time.  I don’t give a shit about cha-cha dancers and fake mustaches—there are four other girls in the sophomore class alone who are pregnant—helure!!—you guys aren’t special.  

To be fair, Myrka said they were folklorico dancers, which does have a cultural element.  I didn't notice the source of the mustaches, and can't fathom any explanation for Myrka's eyelashes.  Or why they decided to cheap out and not have paratroopers. 

Anyone else notice that two of Myrka's relatives (aunt and grandmother??) were "in memoriam" at the end, no doubt from COVID?  The Rio Grande Valley, where Myrka lives, was ravaged by COVID in the summer.  It appears that the party was well before that (the photo looked like it was from the party), but I was picturing the 100 people at the party all wanting to visit the baby after it was born, and letting it happen because they're family.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

It don't think it's this show--it's Reanna's mom in particular, the very person who Reanna does want in the delivery room, who's pushing for Taron to be there instead.  Wouldn't most mothers be fighting their daughter's baby daddy to be in the room, if it came down to one or the other?

My instincts tell me that Reanna’s mother was in a very similar situation when she was a pregnant teen and regrets her anger and behavior. I suspect there is much more to the story. That being said, Reanna is a minor; does a parent have to be present? I’m here to be educated (well, really for the snark but, okay...).

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

My instincts tell me that Reanna’s mother was in a very similar situation when she was a pregnant teen and regrets her anger and behavior. I suspect there is much more to the story.

Aah, good point.  The only thing I could come up with is that she really badly wants Reanna and Taron to be together, and who cares, since almost all teen parents split up anyway.  She seems to be going way beyond just wanting Taron to be in the picture. 

Maybe she could take a page from Lilliana's playbook and say she's not going to be the one in the delivery room, and make Reanna pick somebody else.  It doesn't look like she'd pick Taron, but if all her girlfriends say hell no I don't want to watch you get cut open, maybe she might pick him after all.

That being said, Reanna is a minor; does a parent have to be present? I’m here to be educated (well, really for the snark but, okay...).

Just talking out my ass here, but parents aren't present in the operating room when their children have surgery, so I'd be surprised if a parent's presence is required during a c-section.  Or even a regular birth--it's not like they can put it on hold until the appropriate person shows up.

• Love 3

Someone on the Unexpected: Savage Edition FB group said that Myrka's aunt and grandmother died together in a car accident a few months back. My mind had gone straight to Covid, too.

There were many reasons why I wouldn't have spent a ton on that gender reveal, starting with the idea of a gender reveal, but damn, it looked like a great party! Any party with a griddle man making street tacos is a party I want to be invited to. There also appeared to be individual cups of flan on the "snack bar." I'm here for those snacks.

It sucks that childcare falls on the sister & the mom right now but in 4 years

You don't just get to hand your baby to other people and say "it sucks that this falls on you; it'll only be for four years." Child care is nobody's burden but the parents'. If family members want to help out, great, but Tiarra clearly doesn't, so Tyra needs a different solution.

I CANNOT with Hailey 1's coy "get away with murder" smile about sleeping with Noodle Boy again. I want to believe she got an IUD, but given her pattern of bad decisions, she may well be calculating that Noodle Boy's THIRD child will be the magic wand that makes him stick around and love her forever.

• Love 2

I would think that Tyra’s decision to go to school wasn’t made in a bubble - that Alex and his family and Tyra’s mom were all in agreement beforehand. If Tyra’s sister is jealous because she is stuck at home with a baby then that is HER problem because if the choices she’s made. To me that makes her the entitled brat in this situation. 

I really don’t understand Alex’s grandmother.  Tyra was allowed to sleep over before she got pregnant but granny wouldn’t allow her to stay after Laila was born, but apparently that has changed  and yet mom can move a complete stranger in the house without anyone else being allowed to have an opinion?  So weird!

• Love 7
On 1/11/2021 at 10:15 PM, CoyoteBlue said:

Yeah, her sister is 1000% DONE with getting stuck with the consequences of Tyra's mistakes. I wouldn't be surprised if she gets an implant or IUD as soon as she can. Honestly, why in the hell didn't these multi-generational teen mom moms get their kids on something long term from the minute they hit puberty? 

Every time one of these teen moms has a girl, the angels weep for the future.

I agree with the generational legacy.  I primarily blame the parents of the girls. The boys aren’t any less responsible for these babies but we all know that boys will come up with a whole slew of ridiculous reasons why they can’t use a condom and the girls will believe every one of them. 99% of these mothers were teen moms themselves so they’re all familiar with that bullshit discussion.  They need to put their daughters on birth control early!  Preferably an implant, which doesn’t require any conscious participation on the part of their irresponsible teen.  If that offends their moral sensibilities, like abortion seems to in most of these situations, they need to be prepared to raise their grandchildren and perpetuate the cycle.  They can look forward to hanging the “four or five generations of mothers” family photo on the living room wall. 

I’ve had a lot of hope for Tyra since last season. She seems to be the smartest of the bunch of brain-dead idiots. I think going to school is the best thing she can do for herself and her daughter.  She wisely didn’t want her daughter in the house with a guy she doesn’t feel good about. If her mother is willing to watch the child, Tyra should go right ahead with her education.  Her sister comes off as mean-spirited and jealous. And who watches her kid when she has something to do? 

Jenna is a spoiled, sullen brat. Her Dad created a monster.  He’ll be sorry soon, if he’s not already.

Obviously, someone got to Myrka’s mom and clued her in on how bad she’ll look to viewers if she doesn’t start showing some love. 

I’m so glad we don’t have to put up with  McKayla this go-round. I hope they check in with Caelan. 

Edited by nytonc
  • Love 4
On 1/12/2021 at 12:34 PM, TakeAPinotGrigio said:

Tyra's sister is so angry!  Last season it was all laughs and, Look at the three of us all having babies together. Not so much now that they're here.  Tyra is doing absolutely the right thing, getting an education, leaving her child with its father. It's stupid Alex who won't step up & his grandmother who won't control who's in her house.  It sucks that childcare falls on the sister & the mom right now but in 4 years Tyra will be able to get a better paying job than if she'd stayed home with the kids. 

And the last thing I needed was an update on sad-sack Hailey 1, which was hardly an update since her life is virtually the same.  So now I resent Tyra's sister for 2 things.

What is Alex supposed to do? It's not his house, it's his grandmothers house. He doesn't control who lives there. The only person who vcan say no is his grandmother.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, BravoAddict72 said:

What is Alex supposed to do? It's not his house, it's his grandmothers house. He doesn't control who lives there. The only person who vcan say no is his grandmother.

He can move in with Tyra's mom. He can move in with a friend. He can fight to keep his mom's online boyfriend out of his daughter's house. He can be a dad.

• Love 4
On 1/14/2021 at 11:38 AM, TakeAPinotGrigio said:

He can move in with Tyra's mom. He can move in with a friend. He can fight to keep his mom's online boyfriend out of his daughter's house. He can be a dad.

Why is Tyra's mom's house any better though? She isn't exactly great mother material either. His grandma had a point. If Tyra gets to live there she can't exacyly say no to Alex's mom.

• Love 1

Why is Tyra's mom's house any better though? 

Because there's no strange man living there.

He can fight to keep his mom's online boyfriend out of his daughter's house.

Right. He wouldn't even _talk_ to his mom about his concerns. She might not even know that he/Tyra oppose the boyfriend moving in. Yeah, it's his grandma's call in the end, but he could try to change her mind. She LOVES having her great-granddaughter around; she might well do what she needs to do to make Tyra feel safe about it.

• Love 3