Type keyword(s) to search

B&B : In the Media!

• Start Topic

Oh, it was waaaaaaaay more clear cut in that instance. Brooke had told him for months she was through and for the first time in the show's history, it actually appeared to be sticking. Then, Brooke took a sedative, told Ridge to see his way out, but somehow he misinterpreted that as a green light to follow her up to her bedroom and have sex. I guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

But at least TIIC had Nick as the voice of the audience then to rip him a new one. If Bell didn't want to write a rape story, then DON'T WRITE ONE. Caroline couldve had drunken grief sex like many other couples have done on this show and you'd still all the angst of Ridge being betrayed by his son without making him even more of a creep than Thomas has always been written as, to various degrees.

I wish someone would put a foot in Brat Bell's ass for the Liam/Quinn stuff too. For me, there is absolutely no question of what that was.

• Love 3

Also, B&B does NOT do "leave things up to interpretation," ever. When they take a stand on an issue, it's clear and obvious where the show lies, and that hasn't changed since day damn one.

It can be said enough: fuck Bradley Bell and fuck the CBS execs that gave the green light to two concurrent rape stories that they're now backtracking on. This is why people say daytime TV is out of touch with viewers.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

Oh, it was waaaaaaaay more clear cut in that instance. Brooke had told him for months she was through and for the first time in the show's history, it actually appeared to be sticking. Then, Brooke took a sedative, told Ridge to see his way out, but somehow he misinterpreted that as a green light to follow her up to her bedroom and have sex. I guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

But at least TIIC had Nick as the voice of the audience then to rip him a new one. If Bell didn't want to write a rape story, then DON'T WRITE ONE. Caroline couldve had drunken grief sex like many other couples have done on this show and you'd still all the angst of Ridge being betrayed by his son without making him even more of a creep than Thomas has always been written as, to various degrees.

I wish someone would put a foot in Brat Bell's ass for the Liam/Quinn stuff too. For me, there is absolutely no question of what that was.

Exactly!  They didn't have to write in Caroline taking that pill.  They didn't have to write in her getting incapacitated.  They could have had her simply buzzed enough to make a poor choice, but still with it enough to actually make that choice.  This wasn't Rick drinking at the cabin and then having sex with Maya when she showed up.  Why introduce the medication to the story if they simply wanted it to be an ill-conceived drunken hook-up on Caroline's part?  

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

This is why people say daytime TV is out of touch with viewers

The reason why that statement might be true is because of social media. Years ago (prior to social media) viewers just accepted storylines, whether they liked them or not. More importantly, they rarely complained. And if they did, they actually had to take the time to write a letter, put a stamp on it and mail it. Nowadays it's too easy to just sit behind our computers and complain, whine and bitch about every little thing. Let's face it, you're never going to please everyone all of the time, but that's what makes the world go 'round. What one person sees as rape, another person sees as drunk sex...and we're all entitled to our opinions. And of course, it's the writers prerogative to change their collective minds as to how they want to present their stories.

Bottom line, it's a fictional story that most watch as an escape from the daily grind. It's not meant to be taken to heart, and the writers will never be Pulitzer Prize winners. Watch at your own discretion ;-)

• Love 4

I believe a problem is that part of TPTB's coveted demographic audience likely includes impressionable young women (and perhaps a few young men too). These viewers probably lack sufficient life experience to know when they're being subtly manipulated by storylines like Caroline and Thomas' and Liam and Quinn's. There are privileged people in positions of public influence, such as the ones running this show, who are IMO trying to redefine and reduce the meaning of rape. If/when they are successful, similarly privileged perpetrators can more easily commit these violations with little or no fear of punishment. Their victims will have been taught--in a variety of ways which could include watching a mindless soap opera--to accept it.

I think shows like B&B would do better to avoid these kinds of storylines altogether versus using them to muddy the waters and redraw the lines what does and doesn't represent sexual assault. This show seems to be fine with patting itself on the back when it does PSA stories for tolerance of gender identity or particular disease awareness, yet it still manages not to have any gay characters (in the fashion industry no less) and persists in making victims complicit in if not totally to blame for the life-altering horrors done to them.

AFAIC B&B has moved beyond simple entertainment and has become dangerously irresponsible in ways that could have seriously bad consequences in the real world. I am exercising my own discretion not to support it.

• Love 3

If pop culture existed in a vacuum, I could disregard the irresponsible portrayal of consent issues on a fluffy soap and not be concerned that it will contribute to rape culture. But it can't so I shan't. B&B is off the DVR.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I believe a problem is that part of TPTB's coveted demographic audience likely includes impressionable young women (and perhaps a few young men too). These viewers probably lack sufficient life experience to know when they're being subtly manipulated by storylines like Caroline and Thomas' and Liam and Quinn's. There are privileged people in positions of public influence, such as the ones running this show, who are IMO trying to redefine and reduce the meaning of rape. If/when they are successful, similarly privileged perpetrators can more easily commit these violations with little or no fear of punishment. Their victims will have been taught--in a variety of ways which could include watching a mindless soap opera--to accept it.

I think shows like B&B would do better to avoid these kinds of storylines altogether versus using them to muddy the waters and redraw the lines what does and doesn't represent sexual assault. This show seems to be fine with patting itself on the back when it does PSA stories for tolerance of gender identity or particular disease awareness, yet it still manages not to have any gay characters (in the fashion industry no less) and persists in making victims complicit in if not totally to blame for the life-altering horrors done to them.

AFAIC B&B has moved beyond simple entertainment and has become dangerously irresponsible in ways that could have seriously bad consequences in the real world. I am exercising my own discretion not to support it.

Agreed.  It's especially concerning that we're watching this play out, and we're reading those comments from BB while, at the same time, there's a real life story where a judge is going easy on a rapist because "prison would have a severe impact on him."  

• Love 4

To Joimiaroxeu: I don't worry about there being too many impressionable teens watching this show. Soaps were already becoming passé when I was going through high school in the early 2000s, getting eclipsed by the rapidly growing reality TV genre. 

Still, it's insulting stupid in either case. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Guys, I'm totally weirded out, I kept looking at this movie on Netflix (which I've now decided to watch) called the No Kiss List with Pierson Fode and was having a huge problem remembering that it was him and not Matthew D'addario from Shadowhunters, come to find out they are BOTH in the damn movie. Mind blown! I am ever interchanging their faces in my mind without even realizing it. In my mind Thomas is  protecting the mortal cup, fighting downworlders and parabatai with Jace while Alec is arguing with Ridge about his brand new baby. I.am.so.confused. They just made it more confusing. Ugh.

Edited by slayer2
On July 1, 2016 at 1:18 PM, ByTor said:

Didn't Michael cross over to defend someone here?  Or am I getting it confused with As the World Turns?

I think Michael guest lawyered on both B&B and ATWT. And I think Cricket guest lawyered with Michael on B&B.

6 hours ago, TobinAlbers said:

This is too cute. And look AB (Ivy) was there so maybe she's coming back to tape soon.

At first I thought maybe it was an old picture, but I see RS has her bangs.  Ivy wasn't my favorite, but I wouldn't mind seeing her come back if they have something interesting for her to do.  My guess, though, is that she'll come back & Liam will get involved with her again JUST as Steffy is about to leave Wyatt for Liam.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

Please delete that before Bell gets any ideas ;)

I guarantee you Bell already has that idea.  He just hasn't figured out yet if he'll run it with a returning Ivy or a recast Hope.  Or, if he's really lucky, he'll get a chance to do it with both.  Multiple times.  There will be a musical chairs thing, where, every time the dust settles, Liam will realize how desperately he loves whichever girl ended up with Wyatt, and he'll spend months staring into the sky to view another musical montage, while his current fiancee/wife snuggles up to him.  And Wyatt will just sit back and wait to see who's leftover after Liam picks one of the three.  

• Love 2

Zende got a haircut! He looks...different.

Casting:

Tuesday July 19
Anna Maria Horsford and Obba Babatundé are back as Vivienne and Julius.
Source:
http://thetvwatercooler.com/2016/07/soap-spoilers-...

Friday July 22
Tom Lind reappears as "Michael" (the Spencer pilot).
-- Digest comings and goings.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zap2it.com

Mon 7/18
• Eric guards his secret affair with Quinn, agreeing with Steffy as she rants about her mother-in-law.
• Liam and Steffy share a sweet moment.

Tue 7/19
• Zende gives Nicole a special gift.
• Ridge and Brook seek support from each other.

Wed 7/20
• Nicole and Zende advance their relationship.
• Caroline and Thomas discuss their son and Ridge.

Thu 7/21
• Brooke unexpectedly becomes Katie's hero.
• Wyatt and Steffy invite a guest speaker to the Spencer Summit.

Fri 7/22
• Bill and Katie get in a fierce argument over Will.
• Deacon gives Quinn reasons not to go to Monte Carlo.

http://tvschedule.zap2it.com/tv/the-bold-and-the-b...

------------------------------------------------------------

from www.theTVwatercooler.com

Monday (July 18)
• Eric, protecting his secret affair with Quinn, sides with Steffy when Quinn is at Forrester Creations.
• Liam and Steffy share a tender moment as they make plans to attend the Spencer Summit.

Tuesday (July 19)
• Zende surprises Nicole with a special gift.
• Ridge and Brooke lean on one another to discuss their respective struggles in their relationships.

Wednesday (July 20)
• Caroline becomes conflicted when she and Thomas discuss their son and Ridge.

Thursday (July 21)
• Wyatt and Steffy decide to invite an important guest to speak at the Spencer Summit in Monte Carlo.

Friday (July 22)
• Brooke plays mediator when Bill and Katie come face-to-face in an all-out battle over Will.
• Deacon arrives and gives Quinn many good reasons to not follow Eric to Monte Carlo.

• Brooke unexpectedly becomes Katie's hero.

I'm assuming she stands up for Katie in this mess and that Katie actually takes her help?

Given the custody battles over both sets of her own children (Bridget and Rick, and Hope and RJ), it makes sense that she'd not want to see that for her sister. It's nullified by the fact that Brooke helped to cause this mess, but her taking Bill side is even less palpable. 

I'm going to guess that it won't be Brooke out & out being with Katie and helping her, I have a feeling it will be more like Brooke talking Bill into at least letting Katie know where Will is or letting her visit him. 

• Love 3
On July 20, 2016 at 7:04 PM, grisgris said:

Well, I think it's safe to say that we won't see a return of Sheila now or ever.

Imagine my surprise (more like SHOCK!) when I came across this!

http://variety.com/2016/biz/news/kimberlin-brown-donald-trump-republican-national-convention-1201817978/

I see Sheila as taking the totally opposite approach. I think she'd completely overly identify with Hilary.

Heh heh, maybe, but I'm more inclined to think that Sheila would find a way to insinuate herself into the Donald's life and become wifey number four.

• Love 2

Oh goody, they can recycle their dialogue from Eric/Donna, joy!

I will never not be pissed at how wasted Lesli Kay was. One of a very small handful of actors to win an acting Emmy when this show was the butt of soap opera hair model jokes, and she's relegated to whining about Mommy and Daddy getting a divorce. But I'm glad she'll be back, along with WH.

• Love 2

From the interview:  Well, at least one man on B&B knows exactly what he wants and goes after it. Every other guy on the show is a chronic waffler.
[Laughs] We call that being a ”Bell boy.”

Emphasis mine.

• Love 3

^^I wish there was a "Love" button, like on Facebook, ByTor. I'm loving this storyline of JMcC/RS or Quiric. I love that they stumbled ass-first into something that absolutely works int he best possible way, an umbrella story that literally involves everyone on the canvas. 

• Love 6

I'm bored at work and I was reading a "little known facts" thing about Melrose Place...Jack Wagner seems like an entitled pain in the ass:

Jack Wagner wasn’t always so grateful for being cast on Melrose Place. He joined the cast in season three as Dr. Peter Burns, the suaver, more deadly version of Michael, and he lasted all the way to the end. But years after Melrose had ended, and he had returned to General Hospital, where Pratt was head writer, Pratt recalls Wagner saying, “‘Why the fuck did I not end up on Desperate Housewives? You hired everyone else.'" He also remembers that “Heather said the same thing to me when I ran into her at a pumpkin patch one year. ‘I would have been great on this show.’ I told her we couldn’t have afforded her, which was true.” 

http://www.vulture.com/2014/09/melrose-place-1994-1995-writers-room-stories.html