Type keyword(s) to search

B&B : In the Media!

• Start Topic

On 8/7/2020 at 11:28 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

So this morning the karma gods said, "We got your favorite right here, miss thing" and I got a flat tire. Life imitates art, hah, hah.

I'm starting to wonder who among the CBS bigwigs the actress who plays Flo is in with because this thing the writers are doing with her now makes no sense to me. If the soap forums and social media are valid indicators, she is a widely loathed character, and the propping other characters are doing for her isn't changing that. So far, anyway.

Character propping never works. ATWT used to try this aaaaaaaaallllllll the time, and in one spectacularly instance, the propped character ultimately got sacrificed to bring back the couple that was broken up because of her to begin with!

And on B&B, I can't even begin to count the number of characters ruined to keep Bridge on life support, going all the way back to Brooke's first fiancé and up to Nick Marone, played by the biggest talent B&B ever managed to get (for better or worse, I can't imagine anyone else but Jack Wagner in that role) to ultimately Taylor and even Stephanie, who both became shadows of themselves over this.

But I can get that one, with much, much squinting because it *was* popular and there *is* history. But Flo? Even with the 4 month pause, she hasn't been on the show for even a year IIRC. Her only story was involved with what has easily eclipsed Ridge and Bridget's relationship as the most unpopular story in the entire B&B canon. Her connection to the Logans is so tangible that it's a footnote in her history, especially since Flo didn't get to have a relationship with any of them before all the baby stuff went down and viewers who came in after 2008 won't give a rat's tail about Storm.

If KB made a deal with the devil,  Satan swindled her real good with this white elephant of a role.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

B&B has hit the big time! I was catching up on old episodes of the humorous NPR news quiz show "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" and on the July 18 one, this exchange happened:

(FYI, SAGAL refers to Peter Sagal, the show's host, and Bill Kurtis is the show's announcer. Everyone else is a contestant or part of the celebrity guest panel.)

SAGAL: Well, welcome to the show, Alice. Bill Kurtis is going to read you three news-related limericks with the last word or phrase missing from each. If you can fill in that last word or phrase correctly in two of the limericks, you'll be a winner. Here is your first limerick.

BILL KURTIS: The TV soap I'm on just began again, but with COVID, close contact lets panic in. Our solution is punny with kiss me, you dummy. On set, I make out with a...

CARLI: Oh, Lord. A mannequin.

KURTIS: Yes.

SAGAL: A mannequin. Very good.

(SOUNDBITE OF BELL)

CARLI: (Laughter).

SAGAL: The soap opera "The Bold And The Beautiful" has resumed filming. And in order to keep everybody safe and healthy, actors are making out with mannequins.

CARLI: Oh, boy.

SAGAL: Love scenes are filmed from a distance or at angles to disguise the fact that one character is enamored and the other is inanimate. They're also helping the illusion by dubbing in dialogue for the mannequin like, oh, Wyatt, I love it when you pick up my arm and make me stroke your hair.

AMY DICKINSON: Wait a minute. So you have one actor on set, and this poor schlub has to make out with a mannequin?

SAGAL: Yeah. Presumably, the way they do it is they'll have two characters who are about to make out, and they're talking. And the director calls cut, and they take out one of the actors. And they put in the mannequin in - kind of like a stunt kisser. So for safety, Amy.

DICKINSON: You know, I've had worse dates, I have to say.

(LAUGHTER)

SAGAL: If I'm not mistaken, I set you up on one once.

ALONZO BODDEN: I'm just thinking the day that the prop guy had to go out. I need 28 love mannequins. But, you know, they're not for me.

SAGAL: No.

BODDEN: They're not - I'm not - I would never (laughter).

SAGAL: I'm just - I'm getting them for a friend. He was too embarrassed. All right, Alice. Here is your next limerick.

Whatever NPR intern came up with this item apparently knows enough about the show to mention Wyatt and Flo, though thankfully they didn't mention Flo by name.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2

While the jury is still out because Y&R is dull as dishwater (and TIIC will probably waste her on Billy Abbott so badly I'll be missing her chasing after Wyatt before too long), I'm glad to see she got snapped up rather quickly.

I wouldn't mind her coming in as Sally, where her fashions will run circles or Chelsea's rags. I'll tune in for that. 👍

• Love 5

To clarify, I don't know for sure that CH isn't going to be playing Sally on Y&R. I read on another soap forum that Brad Bell "owns" the character since he created it and Y&R can't just use it. Allegedly the situation is different from when characters Bill Bell created would/could go back and forth between the two soaps. Y&R is still under the Sony umbrella while B&B isn't. (The Bell family bought it from CBS and own it free and clear or something.)

If anyone's taking a vote, I'd rather she didn't play Sally. B&B ruined Sally IMO and she's now a fresh loser. Plus, I think she deserves better that to be sucked into Chelsea's gaspy vortex. 😼 Let CH start over with a new or revived character.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 8/21/2020 at 11:59 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

To clarify, I don't know for sure that CH isn't going to be playing Sally on Y&R. I read on another soap forum that Brad Bell "owns" the character since he created it and Y&R can't just use it. Allegedly the situation is different from when characters Bill Bell created would/could go back and forth between the two soaps. Y&R is still under the Sony umbrella while B&B isn't. (The Bell family bought it from CBS and own it free and clear or something.)

IIRC, Sony owned Y&R when Amber and Deacon were over there in the mid to late 2000s, so I know it's been done before since the split. The big difference is that Sally will have plot immunity and can't be killed off without Bell's permission as one stipulation (unlike poor Scott)

I'm glad that CH got picked up, though. Y&R needs something to break up the monogamy. But she better not be send banana to that lemming Chelsea if she is coming on as Sally.

• Love 1
On 8/24/2020 at 4:49 PM, Anna Yolei said:

IIRC, Sony owned Y&R when Amber and Deacon were over there in the mid to late 2000s, so I know it's been done before since the split. The big difference is that Sally will have plot immunity and can't be killed off without Bell's permission as one stipulation (unlike poor Scott)

I'm glad that CH got picked up, though. Y&R needs something to break up the monogamy. But she better not be send banana to that lemming Chelsea if she is coming on as Sally.

But will Jack still be able to call Phyllis red? I might get confused with two redheads. I just got all the blondes straightened out. LOL!!!!!

OMG!!! Quinn and Shauna have been wearing the same clothes for three weeks now. Quinn’s blue jumper can probably stand on its own. Ewwwww! Are the wardrobe people not in the studios now with the COVID issue still going on? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

He ain't wrong.

It's also a shame that some of MA's personality hasn't bled through to Thomas. They've let DD's personality bleed through into $Bill, & the show is significantly better for it. Let MA shine for a bit. 

• Love 6

B&B is never going to live down this mannequin thing. The body doubles are bad enough since they require the viewer to ignore details like sideburns and body shapes. They should just go full campy with it and have a character comment on how their partner's skin feels little cold. 🙄

• LOL 4

Well, unless you never want to see "romance" (a basic part of daytime TV) on our soaps for the foreseeable future...or you have a better idea...then we're stuck with stand-ins & mannequins. Just to move storyline along, I'll take the blow-up dolls and pretend.😜

• LOL 3

I dunno, Y&R seems to be doing okay without mannequins and sex dolls. Sometimes being suggestive can be very effective if it's done appropriately. B&B seems to prefer treating its audience like 14-year olds who can't parse subtlety, IMO.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I dunno, Y&R seems to be doing okay without mannequins and sex dolls. Sometimes being suggestive can be very effective if it's done appropriately.

I'll have to take your word for it, bc I usually fall asleep before the first commercial break these days. But I agree I'd rather have nuance any day of the week.

6 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

B&B seems to prefer treating its audience like 14-year olds who can't parse subtlety, IMO.

It's been like this from day one, tbh, but it didn't used to be so ridiculously telegraphed. Like, I watched the entire first season as it was uploaded about 6 years ago and even though I knew about Caroline's attack and Ron Deacon's inner dialogue was so over the top predatory, I was still shocked when it happened.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, MsTree said:

Well, unless you never want to see "romance" (a basic part of daytime TV) on our soaps for the foreseeable future...or you have a better idea...then we're stuck with stand-ins & mannequins. Just to move storyline along, I'll take the blow-up dolls and pretend.😜

Actually, if I'm being quite honest, this show has long needed a balance between it's romance plots and it's other types of stories and this could've been a great chance to reset that balance. Certainly, no one was jumping at the bit to see Shidge or Flatt banging even before the shutdown.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Yeah, those “kisses” between Steffy and Finn were some kind of awkward but they’re all doing the best they can with all of these restrictions. This is a small but constant complaint about male actors. They put their heads down and look up through their eyebrows. Lift up your head and look people in their eyes!!!

• Love 2

Ugh Zoe’s sister Paris is coming to town. Just what we were hoping for. I did not like this actress’s acting abilities on Empire so I’m not sure how much she’ll add to B&B

She's probably going to be the fourth leg of a quadrangle between Zoe, Carter, and Zende. Ugh, indeed. I wish the show were "brave" enough to couple her with Thomas. And a real pairing, not that least possible crap like when Wyatt took Nicole on a short flight over CA airspace in his daddy's jet. One thing I'll say for Carter, at least he's actually spending money on Zoe.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 9/17/2020 at 4:26 PM, Angeleyes said:

The Bold and The Beautiful Casts Diamond White in Key Role

Ugh Zoe’s sister Paris is coming to town. Just what we were hoping for. I did not like this actress’s acting abilities on Empire so I’m not sure how much she’ll add to B&B

Personally, I'm surprised TPTB are this invested in Zoe to expand her family. With the sole exception of Maya, every other black character has seen their importance and screentime sink like a stone after a year a a half, and Zoe was never that popular to begin with.

• Love 3
On 9/19/2020 at 6:11 PM, Gam2 said:

I can barely stand to watch Zoe on this show. Please don’t subject us to another one in her sister.

If they are going to spend more money to hire an actress to play her sister... can they also hire a stylist to fix that art experiment on her head?

On 9/19/2020 at 12:39 PM, Anna Yolei said:

Personally, I'm surprised TPTB are this invested in Zoe to expand her family. With the sole exception of Maya, every other black character has seen their importance and screentime sink like a stone after a year a a half, and Zoe was never that popular to begin with.

I don't understand why they can't bring back Maya.  I really liked Maya and I liked that the idea of her was challenging the Forresters.  Why did they get rid of her?  They should also bring back her parents.  The non-acceptance of her by her father was a good storyline.  Remember when soap operas used to at least do some storylines that were matters of general human interest/concern?  And not just constantly concerned with revolving love triangles/quadrangles.

Where are Maya and Rick currently supposed to be anyways?  Are they in Paris?  Are they still together?  Where is Nicole supposed to be?  Do the Avant parents still get invited to Forrester functions (assuming Maya and Rick are still together) even if Maya is abroad?

And you're right... all of the black characters seem to have come and gone very quickly.  But that's always Bradley for you.  He gets all hot to trot about a certain character, they get very overexposed and then disappear.  Dayzee?  I thought she was great.  Marcus?  I hated him.  Nicole?  Liked her.  Zzzzzzzzende?  Enough said.  Emma?  Why bother to kill her, she was good.  Xander?  Who?

Justin has always been marginalized when he and Donna really should be more involved in storylines.  The only constant is that for some unknown reason, we are STILL stuck with Carter.  I nominate him for Top 5 Useless Characters Ever.

• Love 1

I loved the Avant clan - Maya, mama Viv, bigot but at least interesting Julius, and half-illegit-sis Sasha (who smoked with PF's Thomas). Even Nicole was somewhat tolerable toward the end.

Can you imagine if Viv had chucked Julius and got her flirt-on with Eric? And maybe more?

There was build up and beats with the Maya backstory reveal and it was refreshing that Rick, though momentarily surprised, didn't give a crap when it came to the woman he fell for. 

I did hate when Rick and Maya were being nasty to Ally and that was not all that in character for Rick for most of his tenure (I know KL's Rick was a jerk, especially the "owning Steffy's ass" crap), but I liked Rick for most of his time on the show and liked his storyline with Maya. 

But to answer your question, Maya and Rick are no longer together (I can't recall if they divorced as that happened after they were offscreen). Such wasted potential.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

Emma?  Why bother to kill her, she was good. 

Oof

I can't cosign on that one. Apart from having the only two brain cells and the only sense of compassion, for the Beth story, I found her annoying and cloying, even more than Nicole ever was.

As a WoC myself, I *want* black folks on this show but I also want to be *entertained.* 

44 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

But to answer your question, Maya and Rick are no longer together (I can't recall if they divorced as that happened after they were offscreen). Such wasted potential.

The better to pair him with a cis woman that he can have WTD drama with, I'll bet 😕

and yeah, it was off screen, month after Jacob Young had been let go do to "lack of story." As if they could've have mined a story about Maya's long lost child looking for a father and finding a second mother. Or have an angry Eric III going full Adam Newman when he sees his only father figure having a happy life while he languished in Furance Creek (since Hope has the spine of an 8 week old kitten much of the time, might as well make use of the Sharpe gene).

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

When Maya came home from France last year(?), she casually announced to Rick’s family that they were getting divorced. That was the last time it was even mentioned and then she disappeared.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

It cracks me up that Maya is still in the opening credits. Even before Covid she was in them so you can’t blame it on the pandemic. I was never fan of the actress but B&B really treated her badly IMO. They are attempting to rectify it by bringing on more black characters but they had a whole frickin family with Maya, Nicole and her parents (the parents are great actors) but Brad Bell just tossed them aside. 

Yes, congrats to JMW and her growing family.

Since she's already about six months along, they're probably not going to be able to write her pregnancy into a B&B storyline. But maybe that's why they're rushing Steffy and Finn right along now. Liam would lose his mind if Steffy had a baby with Finn.

• Love 4

I'm not sure how far apart hers will be. Mine are 20 months or so apart. It was rough at first, but now, they're super close, although, they fight something fierce. My first is on the small side, my second is on the larger side, people alllllllll of the time ask if they're twins. 

On topic: I didn't look JMW good before, during, or after either of my pregnancies. I thought it was Finn that put the sparkle in her eye, but it might've been the baby. 

Edited by nkotb
Staying on topic...
  • Love 1

Her pregnancy announcement post was amazing. You go Jacqui! Kicking those heels, striking a pose, and rubbing that belly, LOL.

From what I heard, the show has said the pregnancy won't be written in which is probably for the best. Steffy a recovering addict, finding herself unexpectedly pregnant is a bit too much but then again it'd make for a great new beginning Christmas/New Year present for Sinn. Would be interesting if they'd let her have twins finally - boys named Hayes and Finnigan Jr.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, TobinAlbers said:

From what I heard, the show has said the pregnancy won't be written in which is probably for the best.

It would be way too late anyway given how far along she is. And maybe Bell was aware of this and was setting up this drug addiction as a cover for a relapse once she goes on maternity leave in two to three months. If that's the case, it was ridiculously stupid to just blow through all the story beats like they did. FFS, I swear Brooke's joke of an alcoholism story took longer to wrap up than this did.

22 hours ago, TobinAlbers said:

Would be interesting if they'd let her have twins finally - boys named Hayes and Finnigan Jr.

"Finn" is short for his last name. I think his first name is John or Sean or something.

Twins would definitely be fitting, though. Hopefully Bell doesn't kill one of them off : |

• Love 2

Loved this BtS video, especially MA's take on the Hopequinn.

On 11/4/2020 at 7:39 PM, TobinAlbers said:

Kinda love the cast collage of the actors. If you didn't know B&B this would look like a great black cast for a soap opera.

This gave me Generations vibes.

• Love 3

The damn dog made her lose her train of thought. Tell the dog shut up or put the dog outside. This was a rather serious review of her “sons” acting and I was all in on it but I couldn’t hear her and then she had a brain fart.

That said, I agree with her (if it’s really her) that he was so bad when Hope finally was able to tell Liam (about 3 episodes) what really happened. Scott Clifton has this horrible habit in putting his finger to his forehead and looking up at the studio lights to show anger or bewilderment. He such a horrible actor and I’m amazed that he is the leading man on B&B.