Type keyword(s) to search

Name That Tune - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Not too bad.....didn't expect it to be like any version from the past.....no melody roulette....familiar tunes that are kind of easy if you listen to a lot of music.  Not as hard as Beat Shazam.  I should go on this show.    Didn't hear Randy Jackson say "dawg" even once.

I think he also said it while giving his "wisdom" to the contestant before the second golden medley.  The guy was excited about being called "dawg." I just hope Randy won't talk about people being "in it to win it!"

I actually do a little better with Beat Shazam than this game tonight, although on that show there could be whole categories (modern ones) where I was mostly lost.  I enjoy light musical game shows, and I can remember seeing reruns of the '70s version of this show (on USA?) back in the day, though I was a kid and didn't know most of the past songs at the time.

I liked it and will watch again. I know the tunes and can sing the lyrics but can't seen to spit out the titles, so I wouldn't do well as a contestant. The only way I'd get any points would be in the clues round. The clues make it pretty easy.

That said, when was this filmed? There seems to be a lot of people packed in the seats together. Or was that just an optical illusion?

1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

That said, when was this filmed? There seems to be a lot of people packed in the seats together. Or was that just an optical illusion?

It taped in November 2020 in Sydney, Australia. All the contestants were American ex-pats living there.

• Useful 5
  • Love 1

I don't know dawg...the jury's still out for me on this one.  I remember watching Name That Tune back in the late 70's/early '80s and I loved it.  I learned a lot of American standards and old big band tunes watching that show!  This new version is a little..."much" for my taste.  I mean, yesterday was A DAY [for future readers:  the show premiered on January 6, 2021, and if you can't remember what happened that day, go look it up 🙂 ] so maybe my nerves were just shot, but I seem to remember the old version being light and peppy, but calmer.  I'll watch a few more before deciding whether to dump it or not.  I enjoy playing along!

• Love 2

I tried it because I like game shows and Jane Krakowski, but I don't keep up with current pop so I wasn't sure I would enjoy myself.  It exceeded all my expectations and I will definitely watch again.

I thought they struck a good balance between different genres from, what, about the 70s to the present day?  I had at least heard of almost every song, knew a few right away, dug successfully for others, and had a few moments of "ummmm, it's that one, I heard it at..."  So just what I want from any game, really.  I liked the way they would recap the operative part of the songs after the answer was given, so you could hear the melody even if they'd just bid for one note or whatever.

Jane looked fantastic in pink, although I thought she was a little wooden or simpering at times.  Some of the audio seemed conspicuously inserted in post-prod, a pet peeve for me.  That was especially true on "you got that because of Wednesday Addams, right?" which nobody responded to, and when they linked the two segments filmed in different sessions as Jane recapped the first half over a shot of the contestants staring into space.  It's just not necessary and sounds bad IMO.

Finally, I do think they should've addressed the circumstances under which it was taped.  It took me right out of it to see the audience that way.  Just spend 30 seconds letting us know how it was done safely, like most other unscripted shows I've seen have done, and move on.  Perhaps they didn't want to put the focus there, but I think many minds went there anyway, because of course.  I got over it and enjoyed, but I just would rather it had been dealt with from the off.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 1

I will give it another shot. Surprised at how I am not connecting to Jane!  I usually like her in everything, but somehow she just seemed off.  Not sure about long term .  Never watched American Idol so I know very little about Randy.  He was alright dawg! 

The bid a note round.....just like before....is more about getting it off the given clue.....especially if it's a one note bid.  For example....on "Take My Breath Away"....the clue led me to think it was gonna be Danger Zone....but when I heard the three notes, I knew immediately.  With modern post 2000 hits....I'm kind of weak.....I rarely miss on most tunes before that.  I actually have more fun watching Beat Shazam though....even though it focuses more on modern top 40.....maybe it's because I like Jamie Foxx.  But when they do categories in my musical wheelhouse.....I nail it.

Just started catching up on the first episode due to all the events this week, and found it incredibly jarring that the first Bonus Prize was "A Coffee Machine!" A "top of the line coffee machine," according to Randy Jackson...

Huh?

Since when do game shows give generic prizes? No Keurig or Braun or whatever the latest version the manufacturers are pushing on the public for the promotional opportunity? I thought it was a given that prizes on all US game shows were routinely considered promotional. If this was indeed taped in Sydney, as mentioned above, that might explain it - but they had to know this show would be airing in the US. Why would they not just include paid promotional US items that they brought with them to the taping? I don't get it.

Jane was a guest on NPR's Wait, Wait.Don't Tell Me today. She said that the cast and contestants were.flown to Australia and spent a solid 14 days alone in their hotel rooms. Eve after hearing that it was jarring to seen a crowd and a full band. So many people!

I liked the show and will watch. Something light and fun. And now I want to listen to Bryan Adams.

• Love 2

This was fun! The audience looks like they're having a blast. So much so, I half-thought they were all stoned. Their enthusiasm really adds to it for me. I only saw the first episode, but I'll stick with it.   

Fun show, but I agree with others that the clues during the bidding game are way too easy.  When the commercials for this show played in December, I was really impressed with the confident woman who said she could name the song in one note.  But now, seeing as how the clues pretty much give the song away, of course people can name the song in one note.  The only clues that I thought were even remotely cryptic were the ones for "Tequila" and Bryan Adams' "Everything I Do (I Do It For You)".

I knew the second contestant (Chip) was going to win the $100,000... it's the premiere episode, I'm sure the shows aren't airing in filming order, and they wanted to end the hour on a happy note.  Good for him and being able to realise his dream of going back to college. 

Overall, I like the format of the show, but there's way too much filler.  Fast forward button comes in very handy.

I haven't seen Randy Jackson in years (I think I quit American Idol after the Kris Allen season) but did he have gastric bypass surgery?  His face looks very gaunt and almost skeletal.  I've known two others that had this surgery and they had the same look.  

• Love 2
(edited)

Gee thanks.....a HOVERBOARD!!!  That futuristic invention that doesn't even hover.  I hope they can make them so they don't burn up now. 

I once came across a funny cartoon on youtube that featured Marty McFly seeing the 2015 hoverboard and being confronted by an angry Biff and Marty using the board trying to get away....but the board is super slow and Biff easily pummels him.

They're changing the games up which is good.....the one where they play the songs in a different style really had me confused.  And they had a form of melody roulette that chose the musical genre....some good for me.....others like hip hop I don't relate to so much....but I'm not everybody.  

Edited by Swenson

It must be nice to be a place in the world where life looks normal.  It wasn't easy on them either. ..but they listened and took it seriously.  It isn't totally gone....but they have it controlled.  Not nearly the dumpster fire it has become in the U.S.  

• Love 3

I enjoyed this show much less than the premiere.  Judging by Jane's outfits, I think these were the "other halves" of the two segments shown last week.  Perhaps I was just in a better mood a week ago than now.  It doesn't seem likely, given the week's events, but perhaps.  I thought Nicole was much more personable than Ciara, only to lose on what I consider a technicality.  Really, they couldn't accept "Play That Funky Music, White Boy" for "Play That Funky Music"?  Identifying the name written on the original 45 is more important than identifying the tune as everyone knows it colloquially, with a bit of the next line included along with the title?  I think that is silly.  And then Ciara went down to flunk the Golden Medley pretty badly, so what was the point?  I would rather have seen the obviously stronger player do it.  Then in the second segment they had the Jefferson Airplane number and, what was it, they wouldn't accept "Don't You Need Somebody to Love" for "Somebody to Love"?   I think they need to pull back on that a little.  It ends up seeming that they just don't want to give away money or something.  I've seen various older versions of this show and they were never so strict.  When there is more, not less, than the formal title given, and words are not added or deleted, I think they should take it.  Base pedantry doesn't make good television.

On 1/9/2021 at 8:48 PM, knitorpurl said:

Jane was a guest on NPR's Wait, Wait.Don't Tell Me today. She said that the cast and contestants were.flown to Australia and spent a solid 14 days alone in their hotel rooms.

That's interesting.  Obviously Jane and Randy went from the US to Australia, but I thought what had been reported up to now was that the contestants were all American expats living in Australia, not Americans flown to Australia just to tape a game show with an audience.  I think that is pretty stupid, I have to say.  The audience added little for me at any rate.  Much of their audible reaction sounded canned, and having graduated kindergarten, I can form my own opinions about how a game show match is going without a shot of some hipster in the bleachers clutching his temples.  If they flew however many people to Australia and had them in quarantine for two weeks (and how long did they stay in upon return to the United States, I wonder?), I'm sorry, but I find that no less than idiotic.

I'm sorry to be so negative.  If I were one of my little nephews, I would say I would need some juice.  I just didn't rate it, I guess.

• LOL 1

I was curious on the flying contestants from the US bit, that last night we had family and a friend in the audience. So they're flying more than the contestant to Australia for two weeks? Of course, I guess the friend shown could be Australian. Or maybe some contestants are flown there and some are local.

I agree somehow the wrong person won the first game. I think the escalating dollar values as they go through the rounds are partly to blame, but I guess that's to keep the game closer.

As far as specificity on the titles, it does seem harsh, but if you don't have a hard line, where exactly do you draw it to prevent lawsuits from losers?

I think the bonus prizes are silly, but are probably supposed to be a semi ironic tribute to old time game shows.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Really, they couldn't accept "Play That Funky Music, White Boy" for "Play That Funky Music"?  

6 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Then in the second segment they had the Jefferson Airplane number and, what was it, they wouldn't accept "Don't You Need Somebody to Love" for "Somebody to Love"?

I'm almost sure that in the Tom Kennedy version back in the '70's, as long as you said the whole title, you were golden.  So 'Don't You Need Somebody to Love' would be acceptable for 'Somebody To Love'.  And conversely, 'Everything I Do' would be not accepted for 'Everything I Do, I Do It For You'.

The way Jane explained it on WWDTM, Jane, Randy, crew and contestants flew to Australia where they were immediately tested and then quarantined for two weeks.  I would hope they would let a contestant bring a plus one (or two).  Jane said she might seem over the top on the show because she just quarantined alone in a hotel room for two weeks and was so grateful to be around people.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I'm almost sure that in the Tom Kennedy version back in the '70's, as long as you said the whole title, you were golden.  So 'Don't You Need Somebody to Love' would be acceptable for 'Somebody To Love'.  And conversely, 'Everything I Do' would be not accepted for 'Everything I Do, I Do It For You'.

The way Jane explained it on WWDTM, Jane, Randy, crew and contestants flew to Australia where they were immediately tested and then quarantined for two weeks.  I would hope they would let a contestant bring a plus one (or two).  Jane said she might seem over the top on the show because she just quarantined alone in a hotel room for two weeks and was so grateful to be around people.

I'm pretty sure that even on the Kennedy version...you needed the exact title.

Play that Funky Music was one where I had it off the clue alone....I didn't need the five notes.  And "white boy" isn't in the title.  Even if we didn't have so much political correctness then.

I thought Nicole got robbed.  She was definitely the more personable contestant and seemed to have a lot more knowledge than Ciara.  Did Ciara even attempt any songs on her own?  She seemed content to just let Nicole make the guesses.  

I would have given “Play that Funky Music White Boy” to her.  She said the whole title.  It’s not like she said any wrong words (“Play My Funky Music”) or said lyrics but not the actual title (like saying “Gimme the Beat Boys” for “Drift Away”).   I feel like Ciara didn’t even know the song.  She was terrible in the final round, I recognized “Opposites Attract” and “Simply Irresistible” immediately.  I’ll grant that those might have been a little hard with the arrangement, but how could she have not known “Family Affair” by the incomparable Mary J?   Those opening notes are instantly recognisable.

Because I was so salty about Nicole losing, I wanted Ciara to fail, and I wasn’t unhappy that she did.

Unlike, say, “I Can See Your Voice”, it seems all money is guaranteed.  I’d prefer some element of making them risk it for the biscuit and take a chance at getting nothing in the final round.  Like they can pass but they lose 10K for every passed song.

• Love 1

I'm not sure of the policy when the song title has parentheses in it.  I think it was Nicole that got "Crazy" by Britney Spears, but the song is also called "(You Drive Me) Crazy," so I wonder if that would have been acceptable.  On Beat Shazam, I've never seen them have a song with parentheses in the title in the final round, when the players have to give exact titles.  I noticed on this show that when they played the theme song from Beverly Hills, 90210, the contestant just called it "90210," but they weren't picky.  It's still technically correct anyway because 90210, the reboot on the CW, used the same song.  In the first episode, I didn't know they were going to do theme songs, so I made it too tough on myself when the clue was for the Addams Family theme.  I thought they were going to play "Addams Groove," the song MC Hammer did for the first movie.

• Love 2
On 1/7/2021 at 7:30 AM, Lovecat said:

I remember watching Name That Tune back in the late 70's/early '80s and I loved it.  

Me too! And I don't know why but I hated Kathy Lee Gifford (it wasn't Gifford then) and her singing with a smile, lol.

I'm surprised they flew to Australia to film a game show but even if they had to quarantine for 14 days after they arrived they're still hugging people and the audience is sitting next to each other, so...

Randy did not look good.

I knew a lot of the songs but couldn't think of the names. I would bomb big time on a show like this or Beat Shazam because I can't think that fast off the top of my head anymore.

The host is just not doing it for me, and it seemed like she would ask one contestant about themself but not the other. I miss the game show host of the past.

I think it's weird that they win a prize during the game and I didn't hear weather or not the loser takes home the money they have in their bank?

• Love 1
On 1/14/2021 at 4:40 AM, 853fisher said:

That's interesting.  Obviously Jane and Randy went from the US to Australia, but I thought what had been reported up to now was that the contestants were all American expats living in Australia, not Americans flown to Australia just to tape a game show with an audience.  I think that is pretty stupid, I have to say.  The audience added little for me at any rate.  Much of their audible reaction sounded canned, and having graduated kindergarten, I can form my own opinions about how a game show match is going without a shot of some hipster in the bleachers clutching his temples.  If they flew however many people to Australia and had them in quarantine for two weeks (and how long did they stay in upon return to the United States, I wonder?), I'm sorry, but I find that no less than idiotic.

The one that got me was when one guy said, "Jane...I can name that tune in TEN notes!" and the whole audience lost their shit and did that "Whooooooaaaaaa!!!!" thing, like he was throwing. down.  Ten notes is literally the MAXIMUM you can bid in that round.  I mean, seriously.  Save your OTT reactions for when someone actually does something impressive.  Bidding ONE note after hearing the clue?  Yeah, bust out your Whooooooooaaaaaa!!!! for that.

On 1/16/2021 at 5:08 AM, KWalkerInc said:

In the first episode, I didn't know they were going to do theme songs, so I made it too tough on myself when the clue was for the Addams Family theme.  I thought they were going to play "Addams Groove," the song MC Hammer did for the first movie.

Same.  I don't recall TV theme songs in any of the other iterations.

On 1/13/2021 at 11:09 AM, blackwing said:

I haven't seen Randy Jackson in years (I think I quit American Idol after the Kris Allen season) but did he have gastric bypass surgery?  His face looks very gaunt and almost skeletal.  I've known two others that had this surgery and they had the same look.  

He did, back in 2003.  According to this article he eventually started to gain some weight back and had to get things under control using less radical means (diet and exercise, I guess).

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Well, I did have my juice 😉 and I'll look forward to giving a third episode a try when it comes up.  It came up in our group text of friends who love board games, game shows, etc. and all of us who have been watching agreed that we thought the first episode was great but, for various reasons, we didn't enjoy the second one much at all.  Interesting.

On 1/14/2021 at 11:49 AM, Madding crowd said:

Even on Jeopardy you have to have a precise answer, people are incorrect if they add or subtract an s or ed on the end of a word so I don’t mind it.

But does the audience have identical expectations of "Jeopardy!" and "Name That Tune"?  J!, I would argue, does not consistently neg those kinds of responses anyway.  Just two or three episodes ago, the category was "2-Letter Lit" and the clue was something like "surname of the physician antagonist in an Ian Fleming novel."  The strictly correct response would have been "No," which has two letters and is the surname.  The contestant who rang in said "Dr. No" and was ruled correct.  I would argue that could be considered technically wrong in much the same way as "Play That Funky Music White Boy," and J! had no problem accepting it.  The added information was not itself wrong, meaning he didn't say "Mr. No" or "Professor No"," and it included the operative part indicated by the clue.  There have been maybe a few dozen other examples of that kind of thing this season.  I don't want to get way into the weeds discussing another show, or so cranky that I need more juice again, but I don't think that "J!" can be used to demonstrate why that rule should be enforced as it was.  Just my opinion though.

I don’t think it’s about what the audience expects as much as picking rules for the show and sticking with it. The example you gave for Jeopardy was using the person’s title which is actually part of their name. ( for example if the answer were Elton John, you couldn’t say they were wrong if they answered Sir Elton John).Titles of songs, books, films and tv shows all need correct titles. I don’t have a problem with only accepting the actual title otherwise you get in a slippery slope of people guessing one of the lyrics and you would have to accept that too. 

My issue is on the first round when the songs go up in cash so quickly that a person answering the majority of the questions in this first round can still lose if someone answers the last two correctly. It also seems all the songs are on the same level of difficulty so only the last two questions really count.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 3

It's weird they want the exact title, but accept "the theme from Friends." 

Songs are used in movies all the time but they all have titles and some are not written for the movie/tv. What's to stop people from saying "the theme from Titanic" or "the theme from Dirty Dancing" or "the theme from Dawson's Creek" or "the theme from Bosom Buddies"

I also don't think it's fair that the person who don't answer much questions can swoop in the last minute and win.

• Love 6

Well, I made up my mind to enjoy this episode a bit more than the last one, and I did, a bit.  I agree with everyone who doesn't love the way the song values escalate so quickly that someone can take it on very few questions at the end.  I guess they think that makes things more exciting?  And I could do without the "everyone needs to have an emotional backstory" aspect, but that is common to many shows these days.  There was at least a lighter touch this time, but when Randy said "these stories are what are show is all about," I thought, it's not about naming these tunes?  Jane is gorgeous, although I really think nobody looks great in thigh-highs, and perfectly fine as host.  I think some game show hosts today suffer because the shows tend to be more tightly edited, perhaps eliminating some transitions and a little breathing room, giving the sense that they are just saying what's on the cards and nothing more.  Ultimately, something OK to watch in the background, I think.  They still have a good variety of songs, which is key.  I wouldn't mind maybe a little bit of evergreen show tunes or something like that in the mix, but that's probably not realistic.

3 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I don’t think it’s about what the audience expects as much as picking rules for the show and sticking with it. The example you gave for Jeopardy was using the person’s title which is actually part of their name. ( for example if the answer were Elton John, you couldn’t say they were wrong if they answered Sir Elton John).Titles of songs, books, films and tv shows all need correct titles. I don’t have a problem with only accepting the actual title otherwise you get in a slippery slope of people guessing one of the lyrics and you would have to accept that too. 

Right, but I guess my lizard brain is telling me that although the character's name is indeed "Dr. No," if the question asks for the surname and the contestant says that instead of simply "No," then they don't really require that level of precision on "J!"  Something doesn't work for me about "Name That Tune" being bigger sticklers than "J!" and for me it just doesn't make good TV to see a contestant getting dinged on a show like this for "Amazed By You" when they wanted "Amazed or "Beautiful" when they wanted "You're Beautiful" and so on.  As you say, though, if that's the expectation they set its contestants and it's consistently enforced, it's maybe not what I would prefer, but it's fair enough.  (By the way, I hope I'm not coming off very Internet-crazy adversarial!  I just get pretty into this stuff.)

3 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

It's weird they want the exact title, but accept "the theme from Friends." 

Songs are used in movies all the time but they all have titles and some are not written for the movie/tv. What's to stop people from saying "the theme from Titanic" or "the theme from Dirty Dancing" or "the theme from Dawson's Creek" or "the theme from Bosom Buddies"

Yes, I agree totally.  That jumped out at me.  I think "I'll Be There For You" was written specifically for "Friends," and the clue was pointing toward the show, but I don't think that matters.  They should have required "I'll Be There For You" if they were going to draw a line at some of the other places they have.  The clue for "Push It" pointed to Salt-N-Pepa, but they wouldn't have taken that if the contestant had said it.

• Love 3

I agree they should have insisted on I’ll BeThere For You because it has an actual title beyond just being a theme of a show. I was just using Jeopardy as an example because I don’t watch a lot of game shows. It seems like you can make a lot of money on this one but only if you know the last couple of songs in the first round. 

• Love 4

It looks like we're wading into "everyone needs an emotional backstory" (TM 853fisher) territory.  Jane looks great in hot pink but is this going to be her signature color?  If only Jenale had said "You're Beautiful" instead of "Beautiful."  As long as the show always sticks to the rules of exact title, I think that's fair.

Does anyone know if the singers in the band use Auto- Tune?  Do y'all think they know the complete lyrics to each song or just rehearse what they're going to sing?  Thanks for any info or insight!

I could do without the preview before each game that gives away a bunch of stuff about what's going to happen.  They may have had a more dramatic Bid-a-Note than usual with all the one-note guesses, but people who tune in have probably already made up their minds about whether they will watch and don't need to be shown so much in advance.  At least it's better than the time FOX had to advertise the fact that someone would win the million dollars on Beat Shazam.  (In season 1, they included a voiceover from Jamie Foxx announcing that someone would play for the million, but didn't give away the outcome.)

I agree that "I'll Be There for You" should have been the answer for the Friends clue.  It's different than something like the Addams Family theme that doesn't have another name.

• Love 3

I didn't watch the last episode....but I know for a fact that not all songs that have been used as tv themes were not written for that purpose....such as Billy Joel's "My Life" or Paula Cole's "I Don't Want to Wait"....therefore, the proper titles should be required.  When this show debuted....I was only interested in the game itself....if they're gonna pepper every episode with sobby backstories then it will drive me away.  I don't watch The Wall anymore, or AGT....or Idol....or the Voice..or Millionaire....or even American Ninja Warrior and Press Your Luck.....because I just can't take anymore of it.  I'd like to watch entertainment that doesn't remind me that life sucks. We all have issues in our lives.   As for Randy....go get a burger dawg....you're lookin frail.

• Love 2

I would've liked a "Be more specific" prompt after the one contestant answered "The Theme from Friends".

Anything pre-1990 I've known in two seconds and known the artist.

I'm impressed with the band and the set design.  The band can mimic any genre, and the singers are all excellent.  The lighting and white outlines across the set look cool against the dark background.

Randy does a great job on Bid-a-Note, but he's otherwise filler.  Jane is terrible.  She's not smooth or entertaining, and her outfits are ridiculous.  The contestants are all sob stories.  Despite this I'll still watch, for the same reason I watched the 70s-80s version as a kid - it's fun to play along.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Rickster said:

I also noticed that Amber had a very slight Aussie accent.

Amber who is engaged to her girlfriend and whose marriage had to be put on hold because of Amber's undisclosed major health crisis which took up all their time and money, and who Amber wants to give her fiancee the wedding she deserves?  She was so busy being lively and personable I didn't even notice!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I fully agree that it's kind of BS that it seems really only the last two questions in Bid a Note are meaningful.  It was completely crappy that Lee had a lead of $40,000 to $1,000 and then Charity just wins by getting the last two questions correct.  And the songs are no more difficult than the earlier questions.

I wouldn't have accepted "Theme from Friends" either.  The song has an actual name. 

19 hours ago, Rickster said:

I think Jane (and Randy) should have found room in their luggage for a few more outfits. At least then it would make it seem like the shows weren’t filmed in one day.

Haha yes.  Black dress with plunging "look at my breastesses" neckline and magenta dress... I don't understand why they can't change after every show.  They do on "Wheel of Fortune" and every other game show.

14 hours ago, GenerationX said:

I'm impressed with the band and the set design.  The band can mimic any genre, and the singers are all excellent.  The lighting and white outlines across the set look cool against the dark background.

Randy does a great job on Bid-a-Note, but he's otherwise filler.  Jane is terrible.  She's not smooth or entertaining, and her outfits are ridiculous.  The contestants are all sob stories.  Despite this I'll still watch, for the same reason I watched the 70s-80s version as a kid - it's fun to play along.

The guy who did an excellent Kermit singing "Rainbow Connection" is awesome.  I can't stand anything about Randy... from his corpse-like look to his needless pauses before playing his one note to his stupid words of wisdom.  I don't need any words of wisdom from Randy.  I like Jane OK, she is at least trying very hard to be engaging, but I couldn't give shoo twits about the contestants and their sob stories.  I'm sure they all have reasons for wanting the money and most of them seem like good reasons.  If they have to bring it up, how about ask them AFTER they win what their plans are.  I also don't care to see any of their "hidden talents" like tap dancing or kick boxing or whatever.

The FF button gets used a lot when I watch this show.

• Love 4

This week’s show (week 4, 1/27), I felt like the Bid a Note clues were more cryptic than in the past weeks.  Some of them were not as obvious.  Like “it’s her world, and we’re just living in it”.   I was convinced based on the clue that it was “Material Girl”.

The second half of the show... terrible contestants.  Neither of them had any personality that made me want to root for them.  At least we didn’t have to see their “talent”.  Both of them looked awful.  The woman looked like she made that dress herself from a pattern and the guy’s shirt was ill fitting.  They were going on national TV, would it have killed them to dress a little more nicely?  

The singers are the best part of the show.  Both of the guys are amazing, the one I call Kermit because of his “Rainbow Connection” impression last week and the one I call Sunglasses.

• Love 1

Randy & his piano are worthless...especially his off-the-cuff words of wisdom 🙄

For bid-a-note they should do as the original did, play the note(s) from the actual tune.

Edited by MsTree
grammar
  • Love 2

I like the close-up of Randy's hands for Bid-a-Note.  It's probably the dramatic highlight of the show.  He plays the exact number of notes bid, which I think is fairly impressive.  It's fun to try to pick up the melody from that and guess the song.

On the other side of the coin, I find it irritating that the contestants are clearly encouraged during Bid-a-Note to say the other contestant's name as part of their bid.  It doesn't sound natural to say the name every time, but they do.

Speaking of not sounding natural, Jane will be the death of this show.  Everything she says sounds stilted, awkward, or halting.  There's zero fluidity there.  I've been watching both this show and the revived The Chase since they started, and what a world of difference in hosts.  Sara Haines on The Chase sounds so much more comfortable in her role as host and plays off of both the contestants and chasers very well.  Sara dresses better, too (but that pretty much goes without saying).

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Finally watched last week's show (1/27) (I'm kind of losing interest in NTT) and I agree that the second half contestants were terrible.  That woman with the overall dress seemed like she's an annoying and obnoxious person and I wondered if she'd gotten stoned before the show.  Whatever the winners say they're going to do with their money, Randy says, "Beautiful."  Jane can stop doing that toss of her head closeup thing whenever she announces the Bid-A-Note.  I getting sick of the two female AutoTune Singers.  The male singer and male guitarist are OK.

(edited)

Tonight's Name That Tune,  in particular the second half....was soooooper easy.  Practically all songs from the 70s and 80s.  Ok....who didn't get Uptown Girl right off the clue?   Or when you saw the word "Iceberg" in the first clue.  Had to be Titanic right?  First half not so much.....more recent tunes I don't know so well.....got lucky on a couple.  Just don't know any Jennifer Lopez and very little Katy Perry outside of "I kissed a Girl". I'm an older guy so c'mon....

Jane sure looked alluring tonight didn't she?    "Hey dude......my face is UP HERE!"

Edited by Swenson
  • LOL 1

I'm guessing it was the first day for someone working at my local FOX affiliate!  They kept running more commercials even when the break was over, first when it was time for the Golden Medley in the first game, and then when Bid-a-Note was supposed to happen in the second game.  I didn't actually miss anything because of all the filler, including I guess the part they kept showing of the guy dancing with Jane.  Then they showed a commercial in the middle of the second Golden Medley too for some reason, but all I missed was the contestant passing (I saw the part where the song was played).  I think they must have really wanted someone to win the $100,000.  I mean, "Jingle Bells"? 

• Love 1