Type keyword(s) to search

Chopped 2021: You Could Have Sexed That Up a Little Bit

Maverick
  • Start Topic

12 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I had never seen Chef Eric before and now this is the third Food Network show I've seen him on in a week. Not that I'm complaining, but where did he come from?

He's clearly signed a deal with Food Network.  I noticed they introduced him on this as a personal chef.  There's some beautiful pictures of food at his website http://www.chefadjepong.com/

Edited by Rammchick
  • Useful 3

I noticed they introduced him on this as a personal chef. 

Nice site! I look forward to seeing him more on FN--such an improvement over the "personalities" they've been grooming/pimping over the past several years. Interesting (and smart) that he changed course from wanting a restaurant to potentially reaching more people with his food/message.

Man, the fire puns are already tiresome.   I thought the chef that won his food looked good but I wanted the math teacher guy to win. Though I was happy he lasted longer then the chef who said he should be eliminated because he wasn't a professional chef.  Well, somehow the not professional chef cooked the meat the best in that round so don't let the door hit you.

I don't get all the talk of food being sexy and it squicks me out.  In all my many years of eating food never have I looked at a plate and thought "boy, that looks sexy".  And the winner guy kept talking about making love to the fire?!  I almost stopped watching right then.  I don't want to think about anyone making love when they're cooking food not to mention dumbass that if you tried to make love to the fire you'd be dead.   

I know they have to do these specials and what not to mix things up and hopefully get new viewers but I do not care for the gimmicks.

• Love 2

I would have picked Bret's dessert too.  Hers didn't even look good.  Alex use to make scathing comments when a chef served something that the judges had to "assemble" and suddenly three piles of component parts are worthy of a win.  She'd say, "Serve it to me like you want me to eat it."   One time the judges criticized someone because he put a pickle on the side instead of on a burger or sandwich or whatever he was serving.   Suddenly not even putting the whipped cream on top of the dessert is just fine.   Grrr.  I hate inconsistencies.

I really like Eduardo.  I hope they have him on more often.

• Love 5
On 8/25/2021 at 3:30 PM, mlp said:

I would have picked Bret's dessert too.  Hers didn't even look good.  Alex use to make scathing comments when a chef served something that the judges had to "assemble" and suddenly three piles of component parts are worthy of a win.  She'd say, "Serve it to me like you want me to eat it."   One time the judges criticized someone because he put a pickle on the side instead of on a burger or sandwich or whatever he was serving.   Suddenly not even putting the whipped cream on top of the dessert is just fine.   Grrr.  I hate inconsistencies.

I really like Eduardo.  I hope they have him on more often.

She got married.  I think she's mellowed.

8 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

I really liked these last couple of Playing With Fire episodes with cheftestants supporting each other and acknowledging strong competition rather than bragging about themselves and knocking the competition. 

Yes!  Nobody was a prima donna or did any trash talking.  In the finale I would have been happy with any of the four winning.

• Love 4
On 9/11/2021 at 7:20 PM, sharifa70 said:

I really liked these last couple of Playing With Fire episodes with cheftestants supporting each other and acknowledging strong competition rather than bragging about themselves and knocking the competition. 

Agreed, although I do have to say that in general, the whole competition was a snore.  From week to week, I couldn't even remember how many episodes we'd already seen.  

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Rammchick said:

Agreed, although I do have to say that in general, the whole competition was a snore.  From week to week, I couldn't even remember how many episodes we'd already seen.  

Same here.  

Also, the new format with the judges actively engaged and involved in dialogue (and personal visits to the prep area) where the contestants are working leaves me CRINGING. 

Whoever thought up that "new" approach certainly didn't think the concept through with the viewers in mind. 

It is a real "turn off" and makes the judges look/sound ridiculous!

• Love 3

Even more ridiculous. I've never liked the shtick where they stare at the contestant while carefully forking or spooning their food into their pie holes. Carefully, so they don't miss, I expect. It makes me laugh. But not in the good way.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, buttersister said:

Even more ridiculous. I've never liked the shtick where they stare at the contestant while carefully forking or spooning their food into their pie holes. Carefully, so they don't miss, I expect. It makes me laugh. But not in the good way.

I know exactly what you mean.  I also giggle (not in a good way, like you) when some of the judges (scott conan, can you hear me and jeffrey Z) shovel the bite in with a knife (or chopsticks).    The "schticks" get old after awhile😄

19 hours ago, pdlinda said:

Same here.  

Also, the new format with the judges actively engaged and involved in dialogue (and personal visits to the prep area) where the contestants are working leaves me CRINGING. 

Whoever thought up that "new" approach certainly didn't think the concept through with the viewers in mind. 

I agree with you there.  They're just in the way and distract the cheftestants, who are already under a time crunch and don't need the added pressure.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, buttersister said:

Even more ridiculous. I've never liked the shtick where they stare at the contestant while carefully forking or spooning their food into their pie holes.  

Alex G. is the worst about this. The intensity she puts into that stare is ridiculous. Like, "If this doesn't taste good I am going to come over there and stab you." I notice when others star, but she just brings a serial killer vibe to it.   I don't even dislike her. But that star/glare/laser-focus is over the top! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, pdlinda said:

I know exactly what you mean.  I also giggle (not in a good way, like you) when some of the judges (scott conan, can you hear me and jeffrey Z) shovel the bite in with a knife (or chopsticks).    The "schticks" get old after awhile😄

I’m surprised Scotty didn’t cut his mouth on the knife. 

• Love 1

Did anyone else find the sound mixing to be particularly egregious tonight? I could not understand a word anyone was saying especially during the chefs’ intros. Dear god, show, lose the damn music!

Also: my closed-captions showed the guest judge was the “bonified” king of cmfort food.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Rammchick said:

Darnell Ferguson has 8 children?!

When Darnell first appeared on GGG, I thought it was 5 kids. But he could have had 3 more by now 😉 His wife obviously doesn't require sexy food.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, mlp said:

This is Tuesday and there's no Chopped listed for tonight.  Is the cataclysm upon us?

Not listed at 9:00 next week either, according to my DVR guide. Maybe they ran out of new episodes and are putting up series that still have new ones?

• Love 1

They've been filming since covid so they shouldn't run out of episodes.   There's no schedule for upcoming episodes so maybe it's done.  Food Network doesn't really cancel shows, they just stop producing them without any comment.   Cutthroat Kitchen just disappeared one week and wasn't heard from again.  

26 minutes ago, Maverick said:

They've been filming since covid so they shouldn't run out of episodes.   There's no schedule for upcoming episodes so maybe it's done.  Food Network doesn't really cancel shows, they just stop producing them without any comment.   Cutthroat Kitchen just disappeared one week and wasn't heard from again.  

Maybe, but Chopped is pretty popular, and they have commissioned 2 spinoffs for Discovery+. It's possible they cancelled the Mothership, but there have been no notice about it and reruns are going strong.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Hard to believe it's done just having debuted the new set.  But then I don't understand network decision-making.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, schnauzergirl said:

Hard to believe it's done just having debuted the new set.  But then I don't understand network decision-making.

I haven't understood a lot of things since Bob Tuschman left but I can't imagine that they'd just drop a program that's almost a signature for FN.  I'm wondering if it's on hiatus while they move back into a refurbished set.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Could be a seasonal thing. This month and next there are all sorts of Halloween competitions. Then in November there are Thanksgiving episodes and December brings us Christmas. Of course last night it was a steady stream of beat Bobby Flay crap. I won't and never will watch any of them. I also avoid anything with Guy F.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, nitrofishblue said:

Could be a seasonal thing. This month and next there are all sorts of Halloween competitions. Then in November there are Thanksgiving episodes and December brings us Christmas. Of course last night it was a steady stream of beat Bobby Flay crap. I won't and never will watch any of them. I also avoid anything with Guy F.

I doubt that it's seasonal because FN has the same holiday programs every year without canceling Chopped.  I do watch BBF but just new episodes.  I have no interest in reruns of that show.  And I'd rather watch reruns of Cupcake Wars than DD&D.  :)

17 hours ago, mlp said:

I haven't understood a lot of things since Bob Tuschman left but I can't imagine that they'd just drop a program that's almost a signature for FN.  I'm wondering if it's on hiatus while they move back into a refurbished set.  

Nothing would surprise me. 

Maybe when all the production "changes" started (we all know what I mean), the show lost its audience.  

The charm and authenticity of the concept were lost with all the new "themes" and beefed-up production values.

Edited by pdlinda
  • Love 1

I don't think they were cancelled. Ted didn't mention anything on Twitter and I doubt they would have outfitted a new set for only a handful of episodes. 

Speaking of the new set, I don't like it. It's too spacious. The relatively tight confines of the old set helped to convey a sense of urgency felt by the cooks. The new set makes the chefs seem more casual as compared to the feeling of intense competition on the old one.

• Love 2

I watch Pitbulls and Parolees over on Animal Planet and I follow Tia Marie Torres on Facebook. She says that the switch to Discovery+ has a lot of shows in limbo. P&P hasn't filmed since December, hasn't been canceled, and hasn't been given any word on when or if filming will start again. She said the P&P was doing well ratings wise, but the Discovery/ other channel mergers had everything up in the air. I can't find anything saying Chopped is canceled. So maybe between the Discovery merger and launching new Chopped series, OG Chopped is in limbo. Or they are holding episodes for some reason.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

It's not about the launch of Discovery+, it's the fact AT&T bought Discovery and promptly put on hold production of most Discovery productions to decide what to keep, retool, or ditch, and then realization the pandemic - and the limitations on production it necessitated - wasn't going away any time soon created more uncertainty rather than a timely answer; some shows got eventual abbreviated seasons but with no word as to future plans, and some shows got squat.  It's a company-wide mess, and hard to predict given the unique set of circumstances.

• Useful 6
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Oy, tomorrow something called Chocolate Meltdown: Hershey’s After Dark. Three pastry chefs locked in an abandoned Hersheypark (sic) overnight to reveal who has the most inspired take on a creepy-crawly carnival.

FU, FN.

And to make it worse, Sunny is the host! Pass!

4 hours ago, Rammchick said:

Still no word on what happened to Chopped?

It was odd not to have it on Tuesday. For God's sake enough with Bobby Flay! Seems he is on all the time. Him and DDD. 

Edited by libgirl2
2 hours ago, schnauzergirl said:

Amanda posted a picture with Ted, Tiffani, and a man I didn't recogize, saying it was great to be back again with friends, so it looks as if Chopped is alive and well.  WHEW!

Spoiler

I just saw that Bobby Flay is leaving FN. 

• Love 1