Type keyword(s) to search

Chopped 2021: You Could Have Sexed That Up a Little Bit

Maverick
  • Start Topic

6 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I was shocked to see the in memory of Taylor. Really hope she didn't relapse. Thought it was going to be Dan's wife.

Ditto.  That was my reaction exactly.  She just died in the past 5+ months so I wonder if her death was Covid-related.

I liked both of the guys in the dessert round and couldn't decide which one I hoped would win.  I'm happy for the guy with the ill wife but I liked the other fellow a bit better.  

The ants would have been easier to deal with in a dessert than sausage.

• Love 2
(edited)

Egad...the ants were a big NOPE for me!  Yuk ...no way would I eat any of those...

Missed the "In Memory Of" Taylor, maybe they will play again at end, sad when anyone passes... Is it the Taylor on this show??? I need to pay more attention...

Edited by Gramto6
not paying attention
  • Love 1

Yes seeing Taylor passed away was a bit shocking given how they had her talking about how there's always hope.   The way it was edited and then the In Memorium at the end was a little like Lucy pulling the football on Charlie Brown.

When they announced this week's time warp was the future, I knew they were going to have Astronaut something.  They love those freeze dried packets on this show.   Most of the rest of the episode seemed to be basically "kiss your steaks and bacon goodbye!" ("but still watch BBQ Brawl with Booby Flay, Mondays at 9!").   Since there's too many people, belly up for insects and flavorless grain grown in sand.  Woo-hoo, Year 3000.

I see they've reinstituted the judges "going in" to sniff and sneer the contestant's work.  Or maybe they been doing it and I just haven't noticed.  But I really thought they dropped it after season 92.   

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Maverick said:

Yes seeing Taylor passed away was a bit shocking given how they had her talking about how there's always hope.   The way it was edited and then the In Memorium at the end was a little like Lucy pulling the football on Charlie Brown.

I see they've reinstituted the judges "going in" to sniff and sneer the contestant's work.  Or maybe they been doing it and I just haven't noticed.  But I really thought they dropped it after season 92.   

The editing did come off somewhat like that but I imagine that episode has been "in the can" for a long time and the In Memorium was added recently.

I absolutely hate it when the judges go bother the chefs.  They are already under a lot of pressure with time constraints.  Leave them alone.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, mlp said:

I absolutely hate it when the judges go bother the chefs.  They are already under a lot of pressure with time constraints.  Leave them alone.

Can't you just picture the production meetings where the new crop of producers (presumably) "bright eyed and bushy tailed" offer their ideas for "freshening up the show" by these ridiculous stunts?  I see their footprints in the "themed shows" and having the judges march onto the cooking space to "relate" to the chefs when each is in the middle of a time crunch???  WHO could have thought that was a good idea??  Of course, the judges like their very lucrative contracts with the show so they'll go along with anything the producers impose upon them.  They should read this forum to see how the viewers rate these new tactics!

• Love 3

I see that lasting until someone gets burned or stabbed. I get anxious every time they’re wandering around in there.

Did anyone else laugh at Dan’s intro when he talked about specializing in fine dining that’s not fussy...after he was shown using tweezers to put food on the plate? Both of the two finalists used tweezers in their intro videos but Dan’s was funnier combined with that comment.

• Love 2

Tuned in to see what’s happening, didn’t last long. WTF is the benefit of Alton acting all maniacal? A bit too naturally, if you ask me. And viewer-created content. Literally. Of the basket ingredients.

Time to clean house with the show runners. This crew watched too much Svengooli. Geez. 

18 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Tuned in to see what’s happening, didn’t last long. WTF is the benefit of Alton acting all maniacal? A bit too naturally, if you ask me. And viewer-created content. Literally. Of the basket ingredients.

I think the show has gone to the "dark side" due to various nefarious forces all determined to destroy the show the rest of us know and love in favor of vacuous and sundry artificial stunts!  

The sum total of the AB fiasco is that after all these years I have lost interest in the show.

• Love 1

Alton Brown has arrived in the Chopped Kitchen.  The ingredients were weird, but I was expecting even worse.  Surprised each was selected by an Alton fan.   All of the chefs seemed flummoxed and I didn't think any of the four were outstanding. The guy (already forgot his name) who kept messing up his baking got on my last nerve.  

Sorry ... I originally posted this in the 2020 thread -- that's what happens when you post while trying to solve a problem via cell phone.  

11 minutes ago, schnauzergirl said:

Sorry ... I originally posted this in the 2020 thread

I followed your lead without paying attention and did the same thing.  :)  Copying my comment here:

I wasn't impressed with any of the chefs.  I did agree with the order of elimination based upon what I could see.  Alton wasn't as nasty as I expected and I didn't think the baskets were much different from the usual Chopped selections.  Good Eats came on immediately following so maybe Alton was being a little nicer in hopes of getting viewers to stay for his show.  I didn't.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Back before you could get rotisserie chickens at all the supermarkets, my grandma taught me to make quick chicken and dumplings using whole canned chicken. It wasn’t as terrible as the chefs made it out to be and I liked her cooking. I don’t use it any more but that’s just because rotisserie chickens are so easy to get.

That blood soup, on the other hand, actually made me gag every time they showed it. I’m a carnivore but a spoiled, middle-class one who takes the nice, clean, innocuous meat counter for granted (I don’t have to work for anything I eat unless you count working at my job).

The tastings were painful to watch; no one seemed to present a successful dish. This was definitely an episode where the “winning” chef simply managed not to be the worst.

Alton Brown is just too extra. I’d still rather have him than Martha Stewart’s mid-round hijinks, though.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, sharifa70 said:

Alton Brown is just too extra. I’d still rather have him than Martha Stewart’s mid-round hijinks, though.

To me both were equally awful because the show became about THEM and their gimmicks and not the chefs. 

Also, the caliber of chefs in the latest episodes can't remotely compete with the splendid level of expertise, creativity and grit I will always remember from past seasons. 

• Love 2

Has Alton always been this dickish? How awful. He's trying to pull off a Letterman-type thing but it ain't working, he's just making himself look like an ass. Appropriately, Maneet and Marcus were giving off major negative vibes around him. They didn't seem very chummy with him like they are with the other judges, and who can blame them?

• Love 2

I can't believe that Alton still has fans that FN thinks will watch this crap. I was never a fan, never saw his appeal. But now, he's just a full-on dick. And probably also a diva, which would explain Maneet and Marcus' behavior.

• Love 3

Any reactions to last night's show?  I'm happy that cocky guy whose name escapes me was chopped.  He thought the win was his from the get-go.  I really hate it when Alton smells the dish before trying it; looked as if his nose was on the rim of the plate.  Possibly the angle of the camera?  

I also could do without seeing Alton make a production out of smelling his food.  In fact, I could really do without Alton altogether any more.  I don't think it's any coincidence that episodes of Good Eats that didn't resonate with viewers the first time are re-running right after Chopped.

I didn't like the woman who won and thought the guy's dishes were better overall.  I was very surprise when they gave her the win.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mlp said:

I also could do without seeing Alton make a production out of smelling his food.  In fact, I could really do without Alton altogether any more.  I don't think it's any coincidence that episodes of Good Eats that didn't resonate with viewers the first time are re-running right after Chopped.

I didn't like the woman who won and thought the guy's dishes were better overall.  I was very surprise when they gave her the win.

I wasn't crazy about her either and thought the chef who lost to her should have been chosen.

• Love 1

I have so many problems with the Alton episodes.

I haven't really watched him since the original Good East and character or real life he seems like an asshole now.

Alton said a Swedish fermented fish "smells like a dead body that needs a diaper change" in front of Marcus Samuelson! And then everyone else dumped on it after that. Talk about disrespect. (Chitlins are a staple of Southern soul food and had Alton said similar things with my grandmother as a judge, there would have been consequences.)

In addition, it sounds like Alton had a preconceived notion as to how the chefs should handle the basket ingredients. I think the show is at its best when the basket allows chefs to take different approaches. 

Alton talks a lot of smack about how he would approach a basket when a) he has the hindsight of knowing what is in the basket and b) he's apparently  never been under the gun of a clock in a competitive reality show.

• Love 3

So the Alton basket has these "black limes" that no one's ever heard of.

After the knife slips and one woman cuts her hand trying to slice it, Alton points out they can't be cut, must be crushed.  Thanks.

Then one of the limes explodes in the skillet, covering the same woman with scalding liquid, and Alton says, "That's what happens if you don't pierce the skin first."

Alton, you're a prince.  Did you have a cautionary remark ready to go if the thing had shot into her eye and seared her retina?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, candall said:

So the Alton basket has these "black limes" that no one's ever heard of.

After the knife slips and one woman cuts her hand trying to slice it, Alton points out they can't be cut, must be crushed.  Thanks.

Then one of the limes explodes in the skillet, covering the same woman with scalding liquid, and Alton says, "That's what happens if you don't pierce the skin first."

Alton, you're a prince.  Did you have a cautionary remark ready to go if the thing had shot into her eye and seared her retina?

He would probably have said "You should always wear goggles because black limes can explode."  

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 7/1/2021 at 12:47 AM, emmawoodhouse said:

I hope Marcus, Maneet, and Ted got paid double for having to work with Alton. I really despise that man.

Double for sure. I cannot stand Alton. Ted's a darling and while Maneet's never been my favorite (and I can't figure out why, exactly), I appreciate her knowledge and she may be one of the tougher judges but I never get the feelin she's saying anything out of self-promotion or just to sting. 

Now, Marcus, I adore. I always feel that there's a hint of mentoring in every judging comment he makes. He's not easy, but I feel like he wants everyone to go off and do better. I would love to see him (and this may exist and I've not seen it) in a show where he is just purely mentoring and teaching. I have a feeling he'd excel. I haven't read his book yet, but I imagine he does a fair bit of mentoring, teaching, and guiding in his every day work. I promise, it's not just that he's dapper, charming, and has that voice. That...voice!  Alton had a whole series about teaching and yet as a judge it seems to be all about him. He could have learned something from his fellow judges, especially Marcus, but he's too into himself. Blech. 

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, Darian said:

I haven't read his book yet,

Read "Yes, Chef," his memoir.  His childhood was interesting and unusual and his journey to get where he is today is quite fascinating.  He has worked his butt off and earned his fame.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, mlp said:

Read "Yes, Chef," his memoir.  His childhood was interesting and unusual and his journey to get where he is today is quite fascinating.  He has worked his butt off and earned his fame.

Yes, that's the one I meant, though I realize he's written others (cookbooks, yes?). I have been dying to read it but haven't. I'm going to get it now. Thanks!

• Love 1
(edited)

I am not enjoying this Alton series at all. At. All. I don’t like the “my fan picked this” intros, I don’t like the stabs at evil laughter....I just... Ugh. A while back I said I’d take him over Martha, but on second thought, no. If I had to choose between them I’d just delete the series recording from my dvr and kiss this show goodbye forever. 

So far I have learned nothing from these episodes. Nothing interesting, anyway.

Also: the word “funk” does not belong as an adjective on any of my plates.

Edited by sharifa70
  • Love 5
(edited)

So Marcus Samuelsson is a judge alongside Alton. Marcus made his international reputation cooking Swedish cuisine. And Alton spends two episodes declaring two items of that cuisine as tasting  like something "dead" or a "baby's diaper".

Classy.

Alton is playing "evil" but in a way I don't think he intended. Right now he comes across as "I'm a white, male American and I don't like this" for so many ingredients. Which is so condescending. Different ≠ "bad". Watch Andrew Zimmern or Anthony Bourdain.

Then again, maybe that is the way he wanted to come across.

I really don't like these episodes.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2
(edited)

I will tolerate Alton's Monomaniacal Baskets, only because it allows me to spend a little more quality time with Marcus.

He and I spent an enchanted evening together a number of years ago. (I did have to buy a ticket. And there may have been 100 or so other people in attendance.  Still…)

Edited by kirklandia
  • Love 5

Funk can be a good thing, as in fish sauce. Alton? Sucks. Lame, offensive, condescending, altogether shooting to hell any reputation he had for Good Eats (corny crap wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea) or ICA (didn’t do it for me). 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, buttersister said:

Funk can be a good thing, as in fish sauce. Alton? Sucks. Lame, offensive, condescending, altogether shooting to hell any reputation he had for Good Eats (corny crap wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea) or ICA (didn’t do it for me). 

I thought the show had reached its "nadir" during the Martha series so I was unprepared to be as physically repulsed as I was during Alton's "reign".  Suffice it to say that if the producers had a preconceived plan to torpedo what's left of this once-great show, they surely hit the mark with this freak show!  I turned it on briefly (the last episode) and quickly said to myself:  "What did I do to deserve this abomination???" and quickly ran for the remote to try and "un-ring the bell" of seeing the disgusting ingredients I quickly glanced!  

I know TV shows live and perish based on ratings.  I wonder how many viewers are enticed by the alton episodes?  I hope a precipitous tumble in audience viewing has crashed the ratings so that maybe we can return to the incredible essence of joy and ingenuity prior seasons of show have given to us, the audience!!

• Love 4

Surprisingly Alton didn't drive me bonkers last night.  In fact, I saw more of the teacher in him, not necessarily expressed in a pleasant way, but still useful.  I especially liked it when he said Alex needed to stop trying to impress with his techniques and just cook.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Whoever decided that it would be a good idea to advertise Dr. Pimple Popper during a show about food should be fired immediately.

That makes me very happy for the 5-minute jump button that lets me skip the commercial breaks. I hate even seeing the name of that show - it makes me a little queasy.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, sharifa70 said:

5-minute jump button that lets me skip the commercial breaks.

I never heard of this feature and would certainly be interested in it!!  I have Cox Cable.

1 hour ago, pdlinda said:

I never heard of this feature and would certainly be interested in it!!  I have Cox Cable.

I have Xfinity. The page up and page down buttons on my remote skip forward and back 5 minutes.

I agree that this latest Alton Brown episode wasn’t as bad as the previous three, and for the first time in the set it looked like the winner cooked the best food rather than the least bad (but I still wouldn’t want to eat any of it). I don’t like Chopped episodes that turn the primary spotlight on the judges unless the judges are actually cooking.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

I have Xfinity. The page up and page down buttons on my remote skip forward and back 5 minutes.

You're not going to BELIEVE THIS but after reading your post I tried that on my COX remote (never used the page up and down buttons) and I can do the same thing!!!!  I'm a Cox customer for over 20 YEARS and I never even knew this feature (that I'm now going to use regularly) existed!!  Thank you SO MUCH!!

• Love 3
6 hours ago, pdlinda said:

You're not going to BELIEVE THIS but after reading your post I tried that on my COX remote (never used the page up and down buttons) and I can do the same thing!!!!  I'm a Cox customer for over 20 YEARS and I never even knew this feature (that I'm now going to use regularly) existed!!  Thank you SO MUCH!!

That made me absurdly happy. Glad to help! 😄

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, letusprocrastinate said:

Another Cox Cable customer here who just learned something...

The things we learn on this forum are second to NONE! 

My whole TV viewing experience (that is so expensive) has now been transformed because I don't watch "live TV" only DVR for precisely the reason given:  To avoid those banks of commercials!! 

The simplicity of the function cannot be overrated.  Thanks again Sharifa 70!!

• Love 1