Type keyword(s) to search

Chopped 2021: You Could Have Sexed That Up a Little Bit

Maverick
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, xaxat said:

I'm calling producer shenanigans on that. Martha wouldn't tolerate veggies that hadn't been  well washed. And she certainly wouldn't eat anything from a chef who had been messing around at the back end of a cow unless the chef had time to clean up.

I wondered about that myself.  All the greens looked pristine when they were on the chefs' tables and I didn't see anyone wash their hands after picking/milking either.  Also, the cows were presented as a huge surprise but both women were supposedly able to milk them without instructions - in 5 minutes.  There was one close-up shot of milk squirting into a bucket but it didn't show who was doing the milking.  I thought that whole bit was set up.

• Love 3

What a bunch of asinine BS.  That business in the appetizer round was completely contrived.  Let's see.  We'll give the chefs 20 minutes to cook an appetizer, and then take away at least 5 minutes for them to "forage" one of the ingredients, which was completely pristine to boot.  So yeah, they now have 15 minutes to make an appetizer to wow you??  I don't think so.  My spidey sense tells me that the plan all along was to put all 4 of them into the entree round, and scold them mightily for "disappointing Martha."  Absolute crap.  I also echo what was said about milking the cows -- and then using raw milk in their desserts?  Please, for the love of all that is culinary, FN, don't repeat this trainwreck next year.  I'm going on the premise that this was done because of COVID restrictions last summer -- don't do it again this summer!

• Love 4

The whole tournament was producer shenanigans. Martha was just the fall guy. The milk they used in dessert was in a bottle so not what they produced.

Did anyone see the ad for Chopped Next Gen? They were using the same outdoor set. Said it was coming to D+ but I hope cable runs it. Only because Darnell Ferguson is a judge.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

The whole tournament was producer shenanigans. Martha was just the fall guy. The milk they used in dessert was in a bottle so not what they produced.

Did anyone see the ad for Chopped Next Gen? They were using the same outdoor set. Said it was coming to D+ but I hope cable runs it. Only because Darnell Ferguson is a judge.

I didn't notice the milk coming from a bottle, but that makes sense, since the raw milk is a no-no.

So far, none of the shows on D+ have been shown anywhere else, but like you, I'm hoping we get the reruns of a few of them, that one included.

• Love 1

They've shown several D+ shows on FN.  They aired that truly awful, tacky Cakealikes show and also returned Restaurant: Impossible which had gone to being a D+ only show for a while. 

I didn't see the promo for Next Gen.  Is it just Chopped with different judges?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Now I want to see that! Love the guy! 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I swore I would never pay for D+, but I'm not too proud to use my cable -cutting daughter's login. So I did a quick search, didn't see Chopped Next Gen listed yet.

23 minutes ago, kirklandia said:

I swore I would never pay for D+

I was dubious about D+ but I subscribed because I wanted to watch Design Star and I have to say that I'm quite happy with it.  It's inexpensive and I canceled Netflix which I never used so I actually saved a few dollars. 

I hadn't heard about Chopped: Next Gen.  I'm curious what will be like/different from regular Chopped.  I do like Darnell so I'll be watching whatever it is. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Maverick said:

I didn't see the promo for Next Gen.  Is it just Chopped with different judges?

It looked like an older Chopped Jr. They showed the other 2 judges but I hadn't heard of them. And there's a different host, also someone I hadn't heard of. In the 2 second clip of her, she seemed a bit extra.

On 4/20/2021 at 6:45 PM, Grizzly said:

Not liking the stubble on Marcus tonight. It looks like he got some food on his face. His features are so finely chiseled, he should be clean shaven.

I didn't want to run past this series without mentioning Ted Allen's appearance.  Whomever suggested he adopt that "rugged cowboy" look complete with hairstyle that reeked of ol' granddad Fes needs a sabbatical from the show. 

It's understandable that after so many years of hosting the show the eminent host, Allen, might be lulled into "phoning in his appearance"; however, those of us who still love the show (despite its recent stumbles) do enjoy watching him do his hosting chores while looking his most presentable best. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, pdlinda said:

I didn't want to run past this series without mentioning Ted Allen's appearance.  Whomever suggested he adopt that "rugged cowboy" look complete with hairstyle that reeked of ol' granddad Fes needs a sabbatical from the show. 

It's understandable that after so many years of hosting the show the eminent host, Allen, might be lulled into "phoning in his appearance"; however, those of us who still love the show (despite its recent stumbles) do enjoy watching him do his hosting chores while looking his most presentable best. 

Keep in mind that it was during last year's COVID lockdowns -- I'm going on the assumption that Ted, just like all the rest of us, couldn't get anyone to cut his hair!  I hope so, anyway ;)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Rammchick said:

Keep in mind that it was during last year's COVID lockdowns -- I'm going on the assumption that Ted, just like all the rest of us, couldn't get anyone to cut his hair!  I hope so, anyway ;)

I think you make a valid point.  

4 hours ago, Rammchick said:

To my recollection, Ted has looked scruffy during every competition that has taken place outdoors - all the bbq episodes from before Covid for example.  I've always thought he was trying to look more casual but I don't like that look on him either.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, mlp said:

To my recollection, Ted has looked scruffy during every competition that has taken place outdoors - all the bbq episodes from before Covid for example.  I've always thought he was trying to look more casual but I don't like that look on him either.

Now that you mention it, I do recall remarking to myself that Ted looked on the disheveled side. 

I vividly remember that first outdoor BBQ competition with the gusty winds and the contestants (and I think Amanda) having themselves almost blown away 😄.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, pdlinda said:

Now that you mention it, I do recall remarking to myself that Ted looked on the disheveled side. 

I vividly remember that first outdoor BBQ competition with the gusty winds and the contestants (and I think Amanda) having themselves almost blown away 😄.

Was that the one where they all had to run for cover?  The only judge I remember from that one was Tiffani.

8 minutes ago, schnauzergirl said:

Was that the one where they all had to run for cover?  The only judge I remember from that one was Tiffani.

No, the one I'm referring to was long before Tiffani was involved in the show.  It was the one where a heavyset chef from Texas (his name escapes me at the moment) took home the prize (I think it was $50K but am not sure) and the competition was fierce but very enjoyable.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm pretty sure there were two Chopped series filmed outdoors at the Maine farm during the pandemic. Hangry  Comfort Food and Martha's Rules. Ted looked scruffy in both. Even thought Hangry Comfort Food aired first, I suspect was filmed after Martha because Ted was working on an actual beard.

13 hours ago, schnauzergirl said:

That was during Hangry Comfort Food. As soon as Chris heard they were shutting down production he bolted, leaving Maneet and Tiffani in the dust.

ETA Thanks for the correction @Maverick.  

Edited by xaxat

Hangry (the one that just finished prior to Martha Rules) was in the studio.  There was one last year on the Maine set but that was comfort food, I think.  I know one round was bacon, another pizza, maybe Mac n cheese was another. 

To each their own, but I like scruffy Ted.  It's nice seeing him something other than dapper. 

• Love 2

I gotta say I agree with most, I hated Martha Rules.  I actually don't mind Martha Stewart at all, though I think she's at her best in an ultra-controlled environment like her PBS cooking shows.  But Chopped has a pretty singular gimmick and throwing in all the other random stuff would be silly even if it were legit, made much worse because it's so contrived and phony.  When I watch Chopped I'm not looking for Cutthroat Kitchen.  I'm thankful it was just a "LIMITED EVENT" because I didn't enjoy it at all. 

RE: Ted's shaggy look, there's a scene in one of the Martha Rules episodes where he's not standing behind a table and he looked so awkward, omg, I think I replayed it five times because it was cracking me up.  Just stiffly standing there with his arms slack at his sides like he had no idea where he was or what to do next.

• Love 2

I couldn't help but notice that Martha has a new show on Discovery+.  So maybe this Martha Rules mess was to serve to promote Martha and get people interested in her new show?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I felt that last night’s episode was a relief after the shenanigans of the past month or so. The baskets seemed pretty softball-ish but that’s okay. Now I want tacos!

I *knew* Scott would have an onion moment...

• Love 5
1 hour ago, sharifa70 said:

I felt that last night’s episode was a relief after the shenanigans of the past month or so. The baskets seemed pretty softball-ish but that’s okay. Now I want tacos!

Yes, last night was a relief.  No milking cows or "foraging" to be seen.  The look on the face of the chef who cut himself was one of such surprise that the judges weren't eating his dish.  I think he said earlier that it was a "clean cut" so his food wasn't contaminated.  And the guy who added onions?  Does he not watch Chopped and know about Scott's aversion?  All in all, though, a pleasure after weeks of Martha and her wacky rules.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, schnauzergirl said:

All in all, though, a pleasure after weeks of Martha and her wacky rules.

Agreed but the return to normalcy isn't going to last.  FN has announced a new tournament coming up featuring Alton Brown.  There is no doubt that Alton is expert on all things food and is also a very good cook but he's become so snide and often downright nasty that he's become hard to take.  

8 minutes ago, mlp said:

Agreed but the return to normalcy isn't going to last.  FN has announced a new tournament coming up featuring Alton Brown.  There is no doubt that Alton is expert on all things food and is also a very good cook but he's become so snide and often downright nasty that he's become hard to take.  

Oh, I missed that announcement about Alton.  He has really morphed into a disagreeable commentator/judge/whatever.  

• Love 3
5 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

I actually watched it! Nice to be back to normal. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, schnauzergirl said:

Oh, I missed that announcement about Alton.  He has really morphed into a disagreeable commentator/judge/whatever.  

And I used to like Alton very much, too. Maybe he was always a disagreeable, grumpy person, but he put on a fake nice persona? I loved Good Eats and never missed an episode. I learned a lot. I loved him on Iron Chef. But now that I see how he really is... eh, not so much.

• Love 2
(edited)

My understanding is Alton Brown has always been an asshole, didn't suffer any consequences when that started to become known, and has thus just stopped pretending otherwise in recent years.  I find him utterly unwatchable.  There are others I can put up with for the food (hell, I even watched Tournament of Champions despite Guy Fieri, because the competing chefs were so damn good), but not him.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, schnauzergirl said:

Yes, last night was a relief.  No milking cows or "foraging" to be seen.  The look on the face of the chef who cut himself was one of such surprise that the judges weren't eating his dish.  I think he said earlier that it was a "clean cut" so his food wasn't contaminated.  And the guy who added onions?  Does he not watch Chopped and know about Scott's aversion?  All in all, though, a pleasure after weeks of Martha and her wacky rules.

I thought he kind of knew they weren't going to eat it. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, RealityCheck said:

Maneet Chauhan and Marcus Samuelsson

Under contract, no doubt. Marcus does a great job of acting just fine with the third judge (see: Martha), no matter how irritating they are. But then, he's had such an interesting life. And this is such a good gig for him.

• Love 5

I could have done without the Zapruder film drama of the cut. I wish they would have handled it like they used to. Toss anything, including the cutting board, that may have come in contact with the blood and let the chef try to recover in the time remaining. It's actually more fair to the chef than "Oh no, look what we found."

Chando's entrée round was one of the best looking beauty plates I can remember in a long time. I want that taco!

It's interesting how the show is basically pretending that covid doesn't exist. The presence of masks on the crew makes it clear it was filmed during the pandemic, But outside of that, the intros at the chefs' restaurants made it look like everything was business as usual as do the "what will you do with the money?" segments. Even though the pandemic has been an existential threat to almost every restaurant.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, xaxat said:

made it look like everything was business as usual as do the "what will you do with the money?" segments. Even though the pandemic has been an existential threat to almost every restaurant.

Feels disrespectful to the industry. And maybe reinforces the fact that they didn’t raise the prize $$ during this horrible time for everyone associated with restaurants (and hotels, etc.).

Bet they paid a premium to Martha, though.

• Love 3

I actually enjoyed this week’s episode and appreciated the lack of trash-talking. Who would have thought they could find four competitors who were secure enough in their skills to not only pay each other compliments but acknowledge their own shortcomings? I would have been okay with any of the four winning.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Rammchick said:

Attack of the Hell's Kitchen alums this week.

I don't watch Hell's Kitchen so am interested in which chefs competed there.  Cindy looked familiar and I was wondering if she'd been on Guy's Grocery Games.

8 hours ago, Rammchick said:

Attack of the Hell's Kitchen alums this week.

Aha!  Is that where I've seen Michele before?  I knew she looked familiar.  The girl I remember from HK was younger than the rest and kept mentioning it and she was very annoying.  Gordon liked her.

I liked Kenyatta and was very glad he won.

Just now, mlp said:

Aha!  Is that where I've seen Michele before?  I knew she looked familiar.  The girl I remember from HK was younger than the rest and kept mentioning it and she was very annoying.  Gordon liked her.

I liked Kenyatta and was very glad he won.

Not only Michelle but Cyndi too.

Really good baskets for the nineties theme. It made me nostalgic for most of those trends. I haven't had an appletini since the nineties and "teenage charcuterie" made me laugh. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, schnauzergirl said:

Everybody ready for the Alton Tournament starting tonight?  I so dislike him, but know I'll be watching.  He might even make me yearn for Martha's return.

That's about where I'm at. 😂

• Love 3
7 hours ago, schnauzergirl said:

Everybody ready for the Alton Tournament starting tonight?  I so dislike him, but know I'll be watching.  He might even make me yearn for Martha's return.

The sad part is, I used to so enjoy Good Eats back in the day, and even liked him when he did commentary on Iron Chef America.  Not sure what happened to him since then, but I suspect that the Alton we know now is the Alton he's always been ;)

• Love 5

I know everyone on here thinks he's a jerk but I can't resist Scott's smile. Will not be eating ants now or in the future. But maybe I could trap the ones running around a kitchen wall socket and cash in.

I was shocked to see the in memory of Taylor. Really hope she didn't relapse. Thought it was going to be Dan's wife.