Type keyword(s) to search

The Great North - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I actually thought they just dropped Kathleen on us the very first time during the Craig episode (in the flashback). Turns out on a rewatch her portrait is prominently displayed in the pilot episode on the altar Beef made for her when he was still pretending she had died. (And gone to Pencil-Heaven.) It's a quick shot, but the character design is very consistent. I wonder if they've always intended for her to show up in a later season? I think it will take landing someone really astounding to voice her, and then the writers will bring her in.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

CALL BACK TO THE GERMANS

I thought this was a Fawlty Towers reference at first, but then I realized you were talking about the figurines.

• LOL 2

Those skunks were really cute, although we all knew that Moon letting them out was going to end in disaster. 

Of course Beef becomes the Fiend due to well meaning hijinks trying to get Kathleen to pay attention to him. 

This season was a lot of fun, even better than the already strong first season. You can certainly see the Bobs Burgers similarities but it has enough of its own identity not to feel too much like a clone. 

On 5/22/2022 at 8:39 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

How many restaurants does Lone Moose have? I don't recall a Russian restaurant before.

I believe they've mentioned it a few times, makes sense as Alaska still has some Russian cultural influences from way back when it was Russian territory. 

• Love 3

That it's a Russian restaurant isn't a big deal, it's the sheer number of restaurants in Lone Moose. 

They must be doing something right because I feel like the show has been on for years and it's only the second season. I do think they could up the outside characters just a little more. I suppose with the family being so big in comparison to the Belchers, there's some optimization going on. I just totally want to know what Santiago's story is. 

I'd like to see a little more adventures with just the kids because those are my favorite on Bob's. They've really done a top notch job with Wolf and Honeybee as a real relationship and haven't fallen into the pitfalls of married couple tropes. 

Lone Moose does feel like a real place. 

• Love 3

Okay, I cackled at Honeybee saying "My kniiiife!" like Borat.

Only this show could write a musical episode about love for an Australia-themed restaurant (it's like if Hugh Jackman were a bar!) that's a metaphor for working through family shame. Of course it was forbidden to the family because it reminds Beef about Kathleen, just like the owl sanctuary and the magic club (Ta Da's), and the bowling alley, and...a bunch of places.

I relate to Beef so hard, I can't/absolutely hate making the talk that is small. And...yeah, it really does deal with wanting to avoid making relationships with people that will just leave. "Painful good memories"...yep, relate so hard,

• Love 5

The tacky Oz motifs in the restaurant were hilarious. The flying kangaroos had goggles, and the food names. And the koala had sunglasses working the grill. Naomi Watts Tater Tots. They launched into the song really fast too.

I really liked the small talk plot. The daily show had a segment on the topic. The great thing about small talk is when you make a friend then you don't need it any more!

The last bar. Noooope. 

It's tough Beef still is having issues about Kathleen. What happened to his group of divorcees?

• Love 4

I'm barely hanging on with this show right now.  I like the characters mostly, but I don't know what it is, I just hate these songs they keep bursting into.  I don't find them entertaining at all.  Nick Offerman is about all that's keeping me still tuned in.

• Love 2

That Australia themed bar and grill is the perfect kind of tacky, I love that this silly theme bar and grill was the perfect way for Beef to deal with some of his issues with Kathleen. It can be rough when you have happy memories with someone you know was no good, I am glad that the family can go to the bowling alley, owl sanctuary, magic show, and Australian themed bar now, but Kathleen can have the last place...

• Love 2

Wait, you DON'T pronounce Cillian Murphy's name as "Sillyan"?! I knew Wolf and Honeybee would ultimately make up, but I liked their storyline.

I love the concept of Disaster Day, and that they chose Moon's idea: Dinosaur attack. It was a good way to get everyone in town in an episode. Moon ended up finding his calling in office work. So he's going crazy.

I feel Beef. I can't ride a bike, either. I am too anxious of a person and hated falling over.

"The satisfied screams of helping somebody else." was my line of the night.

• Love 3

Flammable Top Hat Crisis! Brilliant.
I just realized the game they play in the opening was Notary Public: The Game.

I can see how Ham would drink coffee, but what was Moon drinking in the mug. 

I always said Killian. 

Those dino bikes looked like a lot of fun. And Wolf of course gets paired with Cheesecake. I would totally loot booze though.

I don't know why, but I always want to know more about Santiago. 

I liked that Wolf knew all the lines for Honeybee - We don't do this because it's easy!

• Love 3

I've heard people say Cillian both ways, I had to google it to confirm which pronunciation is right. Wolf and Honeybee arguing is just wrong, but of course this is what their first fight is about and they make up immediately, and they get to live out a "couple is fighting during a disaster but then come together" plot! 

Disaster Day looks like a lot of fun, I love that it gave them a chance to use so many of the supporting characters. "Oh Hail No" from the 40s might be my favorite previous disaster. Those dino bikes looked so cute, glad that Beef finally got to learn how to ride a bike. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Disaster Day looks like a lot of fun, I love that it gave them a chance to use so many of the supporting characters. "Oh Hail No" from the 40s might be my favorite previous disaster. Those dino bikes looked so cute, glad that Beef finally got to learn how to ride a bike. 

The Flammable Top Hat Crisis was my favorite. I just love how the whole town commits to Disaster Day. Moon's pitch of a dinosaur attack might've genuinely been the most fun sounding one that year.

23 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I can see how Ham would drink coffee, but what was Moon drinking in the mug. 

Knowing Moon, probably also coffee.

23 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I liked that Wolf knew all the lines for Honeybee - We don't do this because it's easy!

Wolf and Honeybee remain Couple Goals.

• Love 2

On top of Disaster Day, Lone Moose also has Fall Frenzy Week, where the whole town gets unimaginably crazy and horny in the week up to the fall dance.

I liked Beef's story. He's too nice and awkward to say no to a date so he was in the classic "multiple dates at once" plot. But I like how all three of them knew what was going on and decided to bond over it.

It was good to see Alanis in a big part of the story again.

• Love 5

Good to see Alanis back. And the excellent 90s music jokes. 

12 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

I liked Beef's story. He's too nice and awkward to say no to a date so he was in the classic "multiple dates at once" plot. But I like how all three of them knew what was going on and decided to bond over it.

When I think of that plot, I think of Three's Company. Which makes this even funnier. In a larger context though, three women asked Beef out. 

I actually thought 'we never sowed our oats and began to resent each other' was rather insightful. 

I liked how the bathroom has a sensible rack of supplies.

I also had corn on the cob tonight! Did anyone hear the funky music when Wolf saw the truck?

And in the end song they showed a sloth on the toilet!

• Love 4

Great to see Alanis! 

Awww Beef is just too nice of a guy to say no to anyone who asks him out. I am really glad that everything worked out, its like a sitcom plot except everyone acts with rationality and empathy. 

Lone Moose loves their quirky festivals. 

• Love 2

I was completely unaware that I needed an Eddie Vedder's Cheddar Double Header, a music and cheese festival in Tillamook, in my life. I know it will never exist and now I'm sad about that because I would have paid the extra for VIP tix to that for sure. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I don't know who writes the 90s jokes for Alanis, but she clearly loves belting them out. Didn't she say Beck bit the head off something?

Rich is what is makes me! I'm not Human Cat Cafe Lisa Loeb!

She did! The Geico lizard at Eddie Vedder's Cheddar Double Header Music and Cheese Festival.  

• LOL 2

Bottle episode time!

Man, I loved all the Tobin lore from this episode. The family goes so stir crazy during ice storms that they had to sign Ice Storm Accords (which, of course, were not honored before Act 1 even ended). I love the concept of the Tobin Tivvy, the giant book that inventories every item in the house. Moon Court was a lot of fun, too. I was just riveted by how many twists and turns the kangaroo court made. Wolf being both prosecutor and witness was my my favorite. And the fact that the family learned NOTHING because nobody ate anyone? Perfect capper. This might be my favorite episode now.

Wolf spending $4000 on a set of Funko pops of the cast of Damages seemed right in character for him, but never losing his baby teeth was just weird. "His tiny little Detective Pikachu teeth" made me laugh so much.

It seems fitting that Beef's favorite movie is Enough Said. A movie about life after divorce.

• Love 5

Omg this episode was a delight! Definitely my favorite episode of the show. I just love how committed the entire family is to Moon Court and how it kept getting more ridiculous and perfect.

• Love 5

This might be one of my favorite episodes of the whole show so far, the whole kangaroo court absolutely killed me. I love how committed the whole Tobin family is to Moon Court and that they managed to drag everyone else into it.

Honeybee's commentary was all pretty great, "Hang onto your boobs, its about to get weird." "So are we actually going crazy, or is this still fun?" 

Then the scene transition card saying "Day 1" every single time, this was a total winner. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I had a huge laugh when Ham and Crispin just walked off the dock. 

Couple goals.

I’m still cracking up at “Hamantha.” And of course Wolf WOULD think that the key to winning Best Boat Town was having a hunky Captain. He wasn’t really proven wrong, either.

With his love of contemporary movies, I’m surprised that Wolf didn’t say that Hot Toddy had gotten Harvey Dent’d. Even though it was just a carving, half-burned Todd was pretty creepy.

“I’m getting hunk drunk at the library!”

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

“I’m getting hunk drunk at the library!”

Wolf and Honeybee always planned on having Hunk tryouts, so this all works out! And Wolf always wanted to save a town, even if its not through dancing like he really wanted...

Love Ham and Crispen just walking off the dock, talk about staying in synch. Also love that the eagle is still on the city council and how everyone easily admits that none of their rivalries with other towns matter, they just get bored. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Also love that the eagle is still on the city council and how everyone easily admits that none of their rivalries with other towns matter, they just get bored. 

I love that it’s what justifies all the weird stuff Lone Moose does. Everyone got bored.

• Love 3

I love how nonchalant everyone was with Moon being buzzed on candy. Beef just brushing off Moon suggesting “rock, paper, murder” was great. Also loved him barely tolerating all the kids modeling the cat costume. And then Beef won the costume. I love it.

I loved Honeybee living out a Halloween version of A Christmas Carol. I loved that Guy Fieri was her Ghost of Halloween Present. Man, I love how genuinely unsettling her haunted house was. It managed to freak out the Tobins! That’s talent. The Shaw’s (fake) Halloween funeral was even more terrifying, I love it.

I’m with Jerry, I’m also a Hallo-weenie, and I love that he loves all the cheesy decorations (that Honeybee can’t stand).

Also loved everyone’s costumes. Honeybee’s “Muffin But Trouble” was a pun worthy of Bob’s Burgers.

• Love 5

I just always want to know more about Santiago. 

I was surprised that the Tobins were so low key on Halloween with all the usual nonsense running around Lone Moose. I wouldn't call Honeybee's family over the top, but she was intense. 

Judy was way more horny than usual. Beef was more sour than usual too. 

tbh, Ham should get the cat suit. Crispin was a laser pointer! It's the best fit!

Moon's 'fetch my hammer' was way creepy timely. That had to be a coincidence. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I'm a little surprised at the lack of Judy's creativity. She seems like the type of girl who could throw together a new costume with whatever's on hand.

Moon made me laugh so hard when he showed up outside!!!

I like that Honeybee and Jerry's family is getting some more background. While they haven't fallen into the trap of just being funny for their obsession with curtains (omg the fact that a family member claims to be The Zodiac!), it's nice to see them get more fleshed out. It also explains how Honeybee fits so well into her in-law family, since they seem to have about the same level of eccentricity.

That being said, holy shit are the Shaws hardcore. I mean faking Grandma's death was...commitment. No wonder Jerry got scarred from that one.

• Love 3

Honeybee and Jerry's family sure does commit to Halloween, grandma faking her own death for a Halloween prank/party is pretty intense. That haunted house Honeybee made was legitimately creepy, she used real ass eyes in that thing! No wonder Beef wanted to burn the place down. 

I love a cheesy Halloween, just like Jerry. I would be all over that Disturbia singing Dracula. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

I know it shouldn't, but it bugged me that all of them fit into that costume.

Omg, SAME! When they first suggested it I said it won't fit them all. And then it fit them all perfectly?! They should at least have made it too big for Moon, nice fit for Judy and Ham, a bit tight for Wolf, and then waaaay too tight for Beef. C'mon!

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

God, I love whenever we learn more of Honeybee’s backstory. She reads the book before the movie, no matter how dumb it is. And eats spaghetti with her hands because a fork villain in a story her aunt wrote gave her nightmares.

And something like the Electric Monocle was the most boring book ever.

Ugh, poor Judy. Holden flirted with everyone. She deserves so much better.

• Love 4

Judy is seeming hornier this season, and I just realized that I think they're trying to differentiate her from Tina Belcher. 16 and 13 are eons away from each other, and Judy knows a lot more of what she's talking about. Although not what the mezzanine is, lol.

• Love 3

The narrative device of all three stories affecting each other without any of them knowing what anyone else was up to was a lot of fun. I can definitely see where Honeybee was coming from, but I'm not surprised at all that Judy would never be embarrassed by her dad. 

Electric Monocle sounds like a funk band from the 70s. Too bad the book is apparently so boring with an awesomely ridiculous title like that. 

Poor Judy, you have to watch out for the Holden's of the world. 

• Love 3

Dick Chateau is back! And so is Uncle Brian!

The kids were definitely channeling the Belcher kids tonight. All the cool fancy stuff is always wasted on crazy rich people. There’s something fun about the Chateau kids are all named Richard so the parents would remember one name. The twists and turns with the wedding was great! The Chateau’s made the Tobins seem normal. I loved finally seeing the bat bombs.

”YOU BAT RASTARD!” Was line of the night for me.

Wolf’s looper plot was pretty dumb.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Looper is a good movie though. Of course, Honeybee is all in. 
I was surprised that the kids didn't believe Beef about being abducted and covered in glitter. 

And we have a return of the Russian restaurant. I mean, I get Honeybee not being enthused, but there's only 3 restaurants and the malls. The date night turned out better since they followed the looper. 

It's too bad Crispin couldn't come on the boat. 

Judy looked good in a tux!

1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

”YOU BAT RASTARD!”

I always cry at weddings. 

Two weeks in a row for Alyson too. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 2

Wolf and Honeybee are always here to remind me of movies I haven't thought of in years. Love how down Honeybee was to follow around this alleged future Wolf, even if, as she admitted, they both know that its just some guy, but its a fun thing to do together. 

Dick Chateau returns! And it turns out he has an evil brother, who's even worse than he is! Dick Chateau is shaping up to be the Mr Fischoeder of Alaska. 

Hopefully Beef's small talk practice can help him avoid driving off his brothers customers in the future. 

• Love 1

We finally get to met Stacy B, and she's a total bitch.

I liked that Jill turned out to be delightfully weird. Completely obsessed with bees and honey. Loved the song that played over her makeover montage. "Just be yourself, unless you dress like a bee."

I like that we're seeing more development on Judy's friends, this time it was Kima and her family.

I love that Beef giggles over the dump having night hours for the first time in decades.

• Love 3