Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: The What?

• Start Topic

To enjoy this series you have to very enjoy the characters, because there is not a lot going on storywise. I did like the Babydoll Assassin. Too bad Lady Ramkin didn't bring her dragon when she went out to fight the Assassin's Guild.

• Love 2

Oh bugger, I am starting to actually enjoy this show.

In this episode they built the story up nicely it came together well in the end. Not sure how easy it is to follow the overall arch of the show, but the episodes themselves are quite allright.

Agree with @AnimeMania that its the characters that have to carry the show. Even if you don't like the fast and loose approach in handling the source material, there is no denying that Richard Dormer and Jo Eaton-Kent are doing a fine job - Vimes and Cheery make this show at the moment.

The sets in this episode looked great and very rich in detail (I loved the music flea market opposite the Watch house).

Edited by Aulty
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I think it might help if I wasn't a fan of the books, because I can't help going, "Well, that's wrong..." rather too often for what they are doing right. No way do assassins kill all witnesses - why would they bother? - assassination as this very episode showed is legal in Ankh Morpork and the assassins' motto is Nil Mortificare Sine Lucre so it goes against their code as well (and - almost as important - it is so very very gauche). It was the Ramkin family boast that "Not one Lord Ramkin had died in their beds" ("...though quite a few have died in somebody else's" as Lady Sybil added) though they did here and it shouldn't be the Musicians' Guild next to the Assassins', it should be the Fools' Guild. And... OK, if I keep doing this, I'll never get through the series.

The raid was pretty tense and I liked the little flash forwards to Vimes & Sybil being married. It figures that Carrot is too honourable to hit a girl (and that Lady Sybil doesn't feel bound by the same code) and that Carrot would ultimately find a way to actually enforce an existing law to get them what they want. I liked that the spell used to spy on Vimes backfired because that is how magic has been established to operate in Universe and stops the villain from always being ahead of our "heroes". So there was still some good here. It's just... lacking a certain magic, unfortunately.