Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
paulvdb

S03.E13: That Hope Is You (2)

Recommended Posts

Quote

The Emerald Chain tightens its grip and the mystery of the Burn is solved. Burnham and the crew have one last chance to save themselves and the Federation.

 

Share this post


Link to post

I swear these writers are Blacklist fans... The real "Booker" is dead and Ilya Kozlov assumed his identity.... but we have to wait another season to be sure....

ETA: Is all the sphere data gone? All the droids "died"...

Edited by paigow
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Random thoughts during the episode:

-Beams are back, yay!

-and they're blue, double yay!

-actually, everything seems to be blue, meh..

-Discovery is now a Tardis? Oh right, the 33rd century must still use that subspace manifold tech we saw on that tiny timeship in ENT. 

-red antiproton cannons? Someone's been playing Star Trek Online. 

-after establishing the EC as a political bloc awith a legit body of government, all it aparrently takes for it all to fall apart is the death of one minister.

-Discovery is now a dilithium hauler. Wonderful. Congratulations, freighter captain Burnham.

-wait, why are they using their warp drive to deliver that stuff? Wouldn't the spore drive make delivery much faster?

 

Edited by mrspidey
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Well, I didn't love it and I didn't hate it.

I did like Grey and Adira's outfits from the holoprogram. Adira has been in a basic blue jumpsuit for most of the season so it was nice to finally see them rocking some style. Grey looked great as a Vulcan.

I don't like the new Starfleet uniforms, they're drab. I notice we didn't get a good look at Tilly to see if she has been promoted. You would think she has earned it by now but I guess we'll find out next season.

Starfleet needs to get their safety division up and running again. Specifically we need to take a look at turbolifts and other areas on the ship where there are falling hazards due to a lack of railings/forcefields/etc.

Osyraa went out like a chump. I was expecting something more from that scene. Burnham was absorbed by the data core and I thought we were in for some Superman III shit there, the revenge of mecha-Burnham. Instead she just busts out a phaser. And I couldn't have possibly been the only one screaming "shoot her again!" but I guess it was set to kill.

For Admiral Vance, I didn't know he had a wife and daughter either but I feel as though we could have established this earlier in the season.

Starships are weird in this century. You can have a close-quarters battle with a dozen ships and no one gets blown up. You can use a chemical bomb to blow a nacelle off but it's easy to reattach. And WTF with that warp core ejection? Why did it bounce around and scrape against the walls on the way out? I want a starship that ejects the warp core in one smooth motion!

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, dwmarch said:

 And WTF with that warp core ejection? Why did it bounce around and scrape against the walls on the way out?

The same reason why there is no safety circuit to prevent doors opening while turbolifts are in motion.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, dwmarch said:

Starships are weird in this century. You can have a close-quarters battle with a dozen ships and no one gets blown up. You can use a chemical bomb to blow a nacelle off but it's easy to reattach. And WTF with that warp core ejection? Why did it bounce around and scrape against the walls on the way out? I want a starship that ejects the warp core in one smooth motion!

Yes. I was like, "That damn warp core better not get stuck!"  Michael imploring Book to jump also had me in stitches. "Jump! Jump now! Book? Puuleeeeeeze Jump?" 

I am also glad that Owo didn't get bumped off.  I would have been pissed.

So Michael actually gets to be Captain! Awesome. I thought we would have been cliff hangered on her decision until next season. Tilly better be promoted so she can be the proper Number One. 

I wish we could have seen Dr. Gabrielle.  

So Stamets is going to be stinky towards his Captain for a while.  Okay, I'll allow that only for a few episodes next season. I mean, Michael got your family back! You don't have to kiss her feet, but admit that her methods worked.

Osyraa had to die and I am fine with that.  Looks like the Federation gained a new scientist!  I'm glad that Osyraa wasn't his wife and mother of his children.  That made turning on her much easier.  

This would have a been a great series finale. So let's step up the writing for the next 4 seasons!

Let's fly!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

So Stamets is going to be stinky towards his Captain for a while.

Dude was replaced by "Book Bookington" - leverage levels approaching zero....

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Stamets wasn't replaced. Book was a gamble that happened to work.  Plus, Book will probably remain as a liaison to Discovery since he is the Captain's boyfriend.   Stamets should be secure in his position on Discovery, unless he plans to be petulant. That shouldn't last too long.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

It doesn't hurt to have a backup Stamets. They should really be working on some other way to run the spore drive, because having it depend on the presence of one person is stupid. 

I knew they were going to take Saru out of the captain's chair, and that sucks. When this show was being developed, didn't they say the star would not be the captain? I guess it wouldn't be the first show to change its premise.

Share this post


Link to post

It was admittedly cheap fan-servicey on a lot of levels, but still laughed that Zareh threatening Grudge was what gave Booker the extra oomph to finally boot him out of the compartment to his doom.  Wherever it is on here or on The Mandalorian, moustache-twirling villains are going to learn that you never threaten space dads' kids!

Decent, if predictable finale more or less.  I'm actually glad that they didn't have any major good guy deaths here, and everyone is still around and kicking.  Osyraa certainly went out like a chump, but since she was such an underwhelming main baddie, I'm indifferent to it.  I wonder what Auriello's fate will be?  Is Starfleet going to put him to work?  Maybe he can chill with Dr. David Cronenberg!

Vance has a family?  Hope we get more of him next season.  Oded Fehr was a welcome addition to the cast.

I guess Booker has a new purpose: back-up Spore driver!  Who know, he might even get promotion if Stamets continues to hold a grudge (sorry!) against Michael.

I'm guessing/hoping Saru will be back next season in some form, even if it is not in the captain's chair.  Unless three seasons of prosthetics was enough for Doug Jones... 

Not a fan of the new uniforms.

At long last, Michael is officially the captain now.  I guess we'll see how her time on the chair turns out!  It is starting to feel like Discovery Captain's are becoming Trek's version of the Defense of the Dark Arts Professors from Harry Potter.

I wonder how long the wait for the next season will be: especially with two other Treks in the pipeline (Picard and New Worlds/Pike spin-off), and a possible Georgiou spin-off perhaps?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

The Federation should put some effort in diversity. There are too many humans in their leadership compared to other species. After all this time we finally get a non-human Starfleet captain but it only takes one season for him to be replaced by yet another human captain.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, paigow said:

The same reason why there is no safety circuit to prevent doors opening while turbolifts are in motion.

Because Discovery was being pummeled by enemy fire. Y'all think the ship is going to just stay still and smooth while being blasted on all sides?

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

I'm guessing/hoping Saru will be back next season in some form, even if it is not in the captain's chair.  Unless three seasons of prosthetics was enough for Doug Jones... 

Hm, maybe that's why they had the arbitrary "holodeck changes your species" thing. Maybe they wanted to show Doug's real face in his final appearance on the show. 😞

Share this post


Link to post

That was .... disappointing.   

I'm still not buying the whole "Su'kal was infused with Dilithium and he caused the Burn when he yelled" nonsense.  That's probably one of the the dumbest plot points on this show.  Which is saying a lot for this show. 

Thank goodness that ship didn't crash on a planet chock full of radioactive honey-nut cheerios -- then we'd really be in trouble, because that makes about as much sense.

The absolute worst part was whoever discovered the 180 degree rotating camera rig -- and then overused it like they had to justify buying it in the first place.  Man that was annoying.

What species was Adira supposed to be when she beamed on to the holos ?  All that blue makeup on her face and hands, I was going to guess Smurf.

It was just a tad ridiculous that the interior of Discovery is a massive hollowed area for the turbolift network.  WTF ?
And they sure fixed that nacelle quickly.

To quote Comic Book Guy: Worst Warp Core Ejection .... Ever !!!

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Like 7
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, paulvdb said:

After all this time we finally get a non-human Starfleet captain but it only takes one season for him to be replaced by yet another human captain.

They blew the alien makeup budget on those stupid holodeck transformations...

7 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I wonder how long the wait for the next season will be....

Frakes said he will be directing Discovery episodes in Nov 2021

  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, paigow said:

Frakes said he will be directing Discovery episodes in Nov 2021

Are you sure he didn't say Nov 2020? Because that's when S4 started filming. Unless you know something about a possible S5 that isn't public yet? 😉

I enjoyed this episode. It was a rollicking fun season finale. The plot holes are there for ventilation. 😉

After everything said last episode about whether or not Stamets had the right to call Adira his child, they certainly treated Culber as a father-figure in this episode, so I don't think they mind. Also cute - the way Culber took one look at the unexpected holo manifestation of Grey and was immediately just like, "This is also my child." But their forming a family in this way does reinforce how very young both Adira and Grey are to be bound together in this way - how can Adira ever move forward with a new love interest (which she should someday, she's only 16) when the guy she fell for at barely 16 has become such an integral part of her, despite being dead?

Burnham taking over as captain has been signalled for some time. I'm just happy that Saru stepped down because he has found another purpose, rather than being demoted. He is still meant to be part of the show in S4, so it'll be interesting to see what happens there. But after having a different captain every season for 4 seasons, hopefully this will be the last change! Burnham eventually becoming captain was clearly always intended as her character arc, and she'll no doubt be better suited to the captain's chair than she was to the first officer role, so there shouldn't be any further need for disruption to the chain of command. Tilly seems to still be the second officer so I hope they at least promote her to lieutenant rather than leaving her an ensign.

Maybe next season we'll learn Book's real name?

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I thought this was fabulous, but was expecting more from Osyra. I'm curious if the Emerald Chain will play any sort of role next season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Osyraa turned out to be the lame villain that I thought she was from day one, and getting rid of her was hilariously easy. I just never bought her as a real threat to the whole Federation, even this smaller less powerful version of it. The Dominion these people are not. Of course the jerk guy from back when the season started comes back, villains who you think died but you never saw a body always love coming back again when you least expect or want them. I did love Booker kicking him to his death when he threated Grudge. Never stand between a man and his kitty cat, she is a queen! 

The finale was not quite as epic as I would have preferred, but it was a good ending for the season that wrapped up some things but opened up a lot of plot possibilities for the next season. So will they be going from planet to planet helping people out, and do more of a planet of the week format for awhile? I would be alright with that, focusing more on world building and character growth for a bit. I was skeptical of the jump to the future at first, but now I think its the best idea the show ever had. It was basically a re-tool of the show from prequel to sequel, and that allowed them to find their own identity as a show and allowed them to do their own thing more than having to always be worried about the continuity that was built into its premise of being a prequel to TOS. In general I thought the character work was better, Michael was a more compelling lead, and trying to help rebuild the Federation gave them something more to do beyond deal with Michael stuff and angst. Weirdly enough, considering the crew had landed in a crappier future than the past they left behind, it seemed like everyone was having a lot more fun, in front and behind the camera. Of course I am not that surprised, most Trek shows take a few seasons to really find their footing and figure out what exactly they are. TNG was practically unwatchable for the first few seasons, DS9 (my favorite Trek) had some great early episodes but was a bit bland for the first season and got really good around season three, Voyager actually tried to use their premise after a few boring and confusing seasons, and Enterprise basically did a re-tool in season three to become an actual prequel and not just...whatever the first two seasons were going for. Who knows what will happen in the next shows, we have a LOT of Trek coming down the pipeline between Picard, Discovery, the Pike spin off and the Section 31 spin off. 

I hope that Saru is only gone for a bit, the show just wouldn't be the same without him. Plus without him, the show is almost an entirely human cast, and that's just boring. I guess Michael becoming captain was inevitable, and I am cool with it, but it was nice seeing a non human captain for awhile in the main chair. 

Loved seeing the guy we met at the Federation outpost at the start of the season again, he was practically glowing at Federation HQ, nice way to bookend things. 

Lets fly!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

How very convenient that medical quarantine has a back exit..........

A few episodes ago somebody here theorised that the Osyraa and her regulators could beam aboard discovery because discovery can't jump with her shields up. I guess that theory is out the window now, because this episode they jumped with shields up. So I'm going back to my original theory as to how they could beam aboard: bad writing.

So Book can talk to mushrooms now, not just to animals?

I still don't get why everybody insists that Grudge is fat. That cat is 90% hair.

Captain Burnham? Yeah no, no thanks. I'm out. She was insuffarable enough as a regular old character. I hope this was the last season. Either way it was for me.

On 1/7/2021 at 2:44 PM, mrspidey said:

-wait, why are they using their warp drive to deliver that stuff? Wouldn't the spore drive make delivery much faster?

I assume because the special effects department didn't talk to the script department and thought a ship going to warp looked cooler...

On 1/7/2021 at 4:30 PM, dwmarch said:

Osyraa went out like a chump. I was expecting something more from that scene. Burnham was absorbed by the data core and I thought we were in for some Superman III shit there, the revenge of mecha-Burnham. Instead she just busts out a phaser. And I couldn't have possibly been the only one screaming "shoot her again!" but I guess it was set to kill.

Yeah that was lame. Burnham being permanently absorbed by the ship would have killed two birds with one stone. We could have gotten rid of the character and the actress, while getting some cool cyber-construct.

And yeah, I certainly thought Osyraa would get back up, but I guess not.

On 1/7/2021 at 4:30 PM, dwmarch said:

Starships are weird in this century. You can have a close-quarters battle with a dozen ships and no one gets blown up. You can use a chemical bomb to blow a nacelle off but it's easy to reattach. And WTF with that warp core ejection? Why did it bounce around and scrape against the walls on the way out? I want a starship that ejects the warp core in one smooth motion!

It's almost like they think a warp core gets ejected by just dropping it and gravity doing the rest... in space! These writers are dumbasses.

 

Edited by Zonk
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

It was just a tad ridiculous that the interior of Discovery is a massive hollowed area for the turbolift network. 

The ship could be one-fifth the size if people would teleport more. Those turbolifts take a long time to reach their destination.

The Discovery's sentient A.I. was completely useless for something that has the collective knowledge since time began, up to the present. You would think it would be able to defeat whatever Osyraa placed in the system or at least come up with a strategy to take back the ship, instead it made Captain Killy look like an all-around chump and lose her job. At least the sentient A.I. managed to save one person. 

I couldn't believe Burntham bailed on Book like that while he was fighting 3 people.

Let's Fry!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

It was an ok finale..I'm just glad The Burn storyline is over...it ended up not being that interesting.

Tillys small arc as captain also served to be rather useless.

Of course Burnham gets her praise for being rebellious and being in the right. But Im glad that she is FINALLY captain. Perhaps now the series will start evening out since they dont have to show us how great she is at everything. And everyone finally got new outfits!

8 hours ago, Llywela said:

After everything said last episode about whether or not Stamets had the right to call Adira his child, they certainly treated Culber as a father-figure in this episode, so I don't think they mind. Also cute - the way Culber took one look at the unexpected holo manifestation of Grey and was immediately just like, "This is also my child." But their forming a family in this way does reinforce how very young both Adira and Grey are to be bound together in this way - how can Adira ever move forward with a new love interest (which she should someday, she's only 16) when the guy she fell for at barely 16 has become such an integral part of her, despite being dead?

 

The whole Stamets/Adira/Culber family thing just feels so forced to me. I cant enjoy it like they want me to. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

The whole Stamets/Adira/Culber family thing just feels so forced to me. I cant enjoy it like they want me to. 

It was rushed. 2 episodes ago, they could have showed a scene of Adira solidifying their bonds with Stamets and Culber.  A dinner scene with all 4 of this new family would have been nice.  There has to be a deleted scene showing that, because it looked crazy for Stamets to be screaming about Hugh AND Adira as he was snatched out of harm's way, which was still the right thing to do at the time.   Is he going to give Admiral Vance the stinkeye too? 

Hopefully we will find out who the President of the Federation and if there are any more Admirals other than Vance in charge.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Zonk said:

Yeah that was lame. Burnham being permanently absorbed by the ship would have killed two birds with one stone. We could have gotten rid of the character and the actress, while getting some cool cyber-construct.

8 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

The Discovery's sentient A.I. was completely useless for something that has the collective knowledge since time began, up to the present.

I was totally expecting the AI and Michael to combine into some sort of V'Ger-esque super-being, first because being pushed into the wall was gratuitously stupid (why aren't there guardrails?!) and had no real point to it besides looking cool, and second because Michael becoming god-like is the direction her character has been going all series. I was shocked when there was no consequence besides coughing up some little blue bytes.

On another note, when the door to the data core opened and we looked down that corridor I totally flashed to Galaxy Quest lol.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Grudge really is going turn out to be a queen, isn’t she?

In season 5, in a very special episode, she breaks her vow of silence and turns out to be Queen of the Lolcats of Nepeta Cataria 7. 

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

14 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I'm still not buying the whole "Su'kal was infused with Dilithium and he caused the Burn when he yelled" nonsense.  That's probably one of the the dumbest plot points on this show. 

I found that plotline rather lame.  Not as bad as the ending of Lost, but a bit of a let-down for me.  Oh well, at least they didn't drag this into the next season.  We can begin fresh and find a new conflict. 😉 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Oh my god this was terrible.  I was so lost.  Why call the Ni'Var and not have Momma Burnham appear?  Why did Michael blast Stamets out the airlock to stop Osyraa having Discovery but then stop the Admiral and the Ni'Var from stopping their escape?  Why was pesticide so scary to her?  Why do the turbolifts fly around in some kind of cyberpunk cityscape?  Why is there a replacement Replacement Airiam?  Why did the sphere data do fuck-all?  Why did Osyraa think pusing Michael into the wall was going to kill her?  What the hell was that wall?  Why didn't Grudge even appear, when I thought she was going to save the day when she called upon her subjects to show up as a deus ex machina?  Why did they immediately accept the scientist guy?  Where was Reno this whole time?  (And Original Replacement Airiam, who was there at the very end?)  Why oh why oh why can't we ever have anyone not give speeches about how great Michael is?  And why did anyone think after building up "what will Saru's catch phrase be" that Michael's lame-o "Let's fly!" was going to be cool?

I am glad that at least Michael didn't really give up when Book was being tortured.  I continue to think Georgiou would have had these completely useless, unthreatening villains for breakfast, literally, before they had the chance ot say boo.  The Main Villain has gotten worse every season so far.  I would never have thought that Zombie Leland would look like an effective threat in comparison to anyone.  They made the slightest effort to make Osyraa a bit less boring and lame last episode, and immediately abandoned it, and now that she's gone the whole Emerald Chain is just gone?  Ridiculous.

All the stuff on the Dilithium Planet was good, very Star Trekky, although the fact that the ship just happened to be falling apart the moment Discovery got there was pretty weak.  Otherwise it was a breath of fresh air from the rest of the action-movie nonsense in totally illogical space.  

20 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

The absolute worst part was whoever discovered the 180 degree rotating camera rig -- and then overused it like they had to justify buying it in the first place.  Man that was annoying.

Aw, it was sort of nostalgic to me.  That Discovery Season One vibe.

15 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

The Discovery's sentient A.I. was completely useless for something that has the collective knowledge since time began, up to the present. You would think it would be able to defeat whatever Osyraa placed in the system or at least come up with a strategy to take back the ship, instead it made Captain Killy look like an all-around chump and lose her job. At least the sentient A.I. managed to save one person. 

I can't think of a more complete failure of a plot point, in anything ever.  Amazing.

The hell of it is, I liked this season.  The setting was fresh and interesting.  A lot of good episodes.  I just think this need to end every season with an action movie is misguided and always results in a crappy ending that leaves me unhappy.  I'm looking forward to next season, even though I am sure it will also end terribly -- it's not the destination, after all, it's the journey.  Plenty of interesting stories to explore before the inevitable stupid action.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

One more question -- when the Discovery left Federation HQ with the Veridian behind them they were followed by a small fleet of Federation starships in hot pursuit.

So, when the Discovery dropped out of warp due to the nacelle sabotage and was swallowed up by the Veridian -- where did all the Federation starships go ?  Did they all stop for coffee ?

Every time that the Veridian was mentioned, it made me think of Veridian Dynamics from the TV show 'Better Off Ted'.

Even crazier -- pesticides in space. Would that really do anything ?  Whoever wrote those lines needs to go back and study how space works.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

It was rushed. 2 episodes ago, they could have showed a scene of Adira solidifying their bonds with Stamets and Culber.  A dinner scene with all 4 of this new family would have been nice.

As the person who brought this subject up last week, I appreciated how genuine the reunion between Hugh and Adira felt.  I don’t know if it was strictly familial, but there was a sense of warmth about the greeting.  Then again, Hugh has that with everybody, so go figure.

But yeah- if they are a family, it would have been nice to see them act like a family before the last episode.  Not only would it have supported the character development they were trying to accomplish, but it would have been meaningful to present this sort of found family doing stuff any family would do.  Still, if it seems like they all are fine with the relationship next season, I’ll be happy.

Very interested to know how the holo program was able to manifest a “physical” version of Gray.  Like, I know Ezri did that ritual to “summon” the murder host- but it felt like he was just a projection of her subconscious.  This suggests that Gray is somehow physically there, as if he’s a floating invisible consciousness.  Is Gray a g-g-g-ghost?  But now that they all know it’s possible to give him a form, it should hopefully be simple to duplicate - surely the Doctor’s mobile emitter tech is still around.

Overall I thought it was a fun episode - Star Trek doesn’t always do action well, but I thought they did a good job of keeping up the tension for all the heroes.  In particular I was really invested in the crew story - I thought Tilly was a good leader, and I’m glad we didn’t just learn something new about Owo only for her to get bumped off.

I’m relieved both that we got an explanation for the burn, and that the season ultimately wasn’t about finding a way to “solve” it.  I think I would have been disappointed if this had ended with some kind of reset button, where they go back and prevent it from happening.  I wasn’t sure how I would feel about the new status quo that they had developed for this season - but overall I think it’s been good for the show.  I’m glad that they didn’t just wipe out everything we’ve come to know about this future (and an entire season of stories).

Edited by Chyromaniac
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Planet Veridian 3 was where Kirk & Picard defeated Dr. Soran in Generations.

Edited by paigow
  • Like 2
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post

Is Book a distant descendant of Jack Bauer? He was running around, kicking ass and learning how to operate the Spore Drive just after being almost tortured to death. Adrenaline fixes everything!

Best line: "She's a queen!"

This season started out well, but this finale felt like a bit of a mess.

Edited by marinw
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'mma need a B-Plot next season on Grudge Da Queen. Why did Zareh always had something to say about her? Are pets really uncommon in this timeline? Is Grudge something other than what she appears to be?  

Share this post


Link to post

Two questions:

Where was Hetbthis whole time? Her disappearance for hours at a time is a bit of a running gag.

What happened to the Borg? Where all the cubes disabled is the Burn?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, marinw said:

Two questions:

Where was Hetbthis whole time? Her disappearance for hours at a time is a bit of a running gag.

What happened to the Borg? Where all the cubes disabled is the Burn?

Do "Transwarp" ships, which I seem to recall them labeled as, use the same power source as regular warp ships? 

Edited by Kromm
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

I'mma need a B-Plot next season on Grudge Da Queen. Why did Zareh always had something to say about her? Are pets really uncommon in this timeline? Is Grudge something other than what she appears to be?  

Maybe she's a relative of the cat that was in one of the original Star Trek eps. Catspaw, Assignment Earth.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

It was an okay season finale. I found spots to be a bit dull.

That the child losing his mother caused him to scream and that blacked out all the dilithium made me go hmmm. Too bad there wasn't something else that used his grief and being trapped alone as a cover. Something a bit more nefarious and unexpected.

Seeing the holograms all vanish and reveal the real planet was interesting.

I thought that Book was on some sort of weird Tardis. The little sphere data robots reminded me of Star Wars.

The ship cannot just have one person, Stamets, be the operator of the spore drive. It works for a while, but if he can't do it, what will happen. Maybe it needs to be decommissioned.

Michael going in to the blue data screen was cool. Too bad she didn't come out as a semi-Borg.

Not keen on her being Captain. It's been telegraphed, but she isn't ready. Saru may be on his home planet for a while. Which beats being a starship that hauls stuff like a freighter. The new uniforms are a bit dull and unflattering. Unless they improve next season.

Too bad that Osyraa met such a disappointing demise. At least now the Emerald Chain can negotiate a place in the Federation without having a lot of extra baggage and dreams of taking over.

I kinda hoped that the warp core would have gotten stuck on its way down.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I really am not sure what to make of some of the things we saw this episode:

1) Where is this massive space inside of Discovery where the turbolifts fly magically about from place to place? Was this always here, or only since the post-time travel upgrades? What is the purpose? Don't they need this space for interior decks and living space?

2) What is the function of the weird pillar of nanites that Burnham was shoved into?

3) I might have missed something, but why were the nacelles suddenly attached to the ship again (conveniently so that Owo could stick a bomb in one)?

(And don't even get me started with magically material holo-Grey).

Edited by Cthulhudrew

Share this post


Link to post

31 minutes ago, Cthulhudrew said:

1) Where is this massive space inside of Discovery where the turbolifts fly magically about from place to place? Was this always here, or only since the post-time travel upgrades? What is the purpose? Don't they need this space for interior decks and living space?

I was talking to my sister about this, and she said well that's how it was in one of the recent movies, too.  It seems that this season of Discovery has made an effort to connect with all other Star Treks to an extent even more than Lower Decks, with references I didn't catch because I never watched Enterprise, Picard, or most of the JJ Abrams movies.

She also had a possible explanation for the truly baffling Replacement Replacement Airiam: apparently the actress who played Season 1 Airiam and then Replacement Airiam was in a Lifetime Original Movie, so maybe she was off filming that when these past two episodes were made.  Still very strange IMO to put another actress in, instead of just having her be absent in the same mystery space that Reno disappears to (perhaps in these bizarre cyberspace cityscapes the turbolifts fly around in?)

Share this post


Link to post

Wasn't Discovery on board a much larger Emerald Chain ship? Because at first i was wondering where all that interior space came from with the zooming elevators, etc. But they were in the much larger shop trying to get to the data core. I think. I always find this stuff kind of confusing. It looks cool, but I sometimes need somebody to 'splain me the logic. 

Osyraa would have been a much more compelling villain if she hadn't had the makeover by Galinda. Somehow she just looked like the unpleasant CEO in a Hallmark movie who needs to learn the meaning of Christmas. With a bit more bloodshed.

 

  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

I was talking to my sister about this, and she said well that's how it was in one of the recent movies, too.

I mean, in Nemesis we learned that the Enterprise-E has its own bottomless pit.

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/8/2021 at 6:40 AM, ottoDbusdriver said:

What species was Adira supposed to be when she beamed on to the holos ?  All that blue makeup on her face and hands, I was going to guess Smurf.

I think she was the species of the planet whose ice cream loving Queen and Tilly are BFFs.  The last planet that the signals directed Discovery toward.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, starri said:

I mean, in Nemesis we learned that the Enterprise-E has its own bottomless pit.

Haven't seen that one either!  Maybe that's what she was talking about?

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/10/2021 at 11:26 AM, Jodithgrace said:

Osyraa would have been a much more compelling villain if she hadn't had the makeover by Galinda. Somehow she just looked like the unpleasant CEO in a Hallmark movie who needs to learn the meaning of Christmas. With a bit more bloodshed.

I want the Hallmark series where Osyrra is a Junk Journal Youtuber who also solves murders.

  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

So the whole point of the season was to remind us – one more time! – that Burnham it the most special specialest special officer in the whole of the Federation, which is why the Enterprise's captainship is hers by divine right?

  • Laugh 2
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Florinaldo said:

So the whole point of the season was to remind us – one more time! – that Burnham it the most special specialest special officer in the whole of the Federation, which is why the Enterprise's captainship is hers by divine right?

The Enterprise does not feature in this season.

  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Llywela said:

The Enterprise does not feature in this season.

Correct; slip of the keyboard. I meant Discovery, of course.

For now, anyway...

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/9/2021 at 3:12 AM, KimberStormer said:

 

The hell of it is, I liked this season.  The setting was fresh and interesting.  A lot of good episodes.  I just think this need to end every season with an action movie is misguided and always results in a crappy ending that leaves me unhappy.  I'm looking forward to next season, even though I am sure it will also end terribly -- it's not the destination, after all, it's the journey.  Plenty of interesting stories to explore before the inevitable stupid action.

I liked the season, even if the resolution to the Burn was dumb.  I appreciated that they are now free of being a prequel, and can engage in storylines without having to worry about it interfering with what happened on other shows.  I thought the biggest weakness is that we are going into Season 4 and I couldn't tell you the names of most of the regular characters outside Michael, Tilly, Saru, Adira and Stamets.  Red Haired Girl with the Eye-thing, or her black friend?  No clue.  Blonde woman who was also on the bridge a lot?  No idea.  Wilson Cruz's character name?  Hank maybe?  That's a major failure of the show.  Maybe next season a little less Michael all the time and more focus on the lives of the other crew.

    

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

That was so sweet when Culber saw Gray.

Osyraa's skin color was looking worse and worse as the episode progressed. Wonder if there's an emotional component to it, like when humans blush?

Dang, Michael loves her some Book. I think the addition of him has really made a difference in her character.

Threatening Queen Grudge? Oh hail naw! Bye, Zareh. You went a bridge too far--literally.

Everyone looked so happy at the end. This would've made a decent show finale if by some insanity it  hadn't been renewed.

I hope Vance is back next season because I adore Oded Fehr. Sounds like they might be giving the admiral a backstory.

Captain Michael Burnham. Took three seasons but here we are.

"Let's fly." Ehhhhhhhhhh. 🙄

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/18/2021 at 10:22 PM, txhorns79 said:

I thought the biggest weakness is that we are going into Season 4 and I couldn't tell you the names of most of the regular characters outside Michael, Tilly, Saru, Adira and Stamets.  Red Haired Girl with the Eye-thing, or her black friend?  No clue.  Blonde woman who was also on the bridge a lot?  No idea.  Wilson Cruz's character name?  Hank maybe?  That's a major failure of the show.  Maybe next season a little less Michael all the time and more focus on the lives of the other crew

To a degree that's a TV thing. "Reoccurring" VS "Regulars".  But they handle it badly. Even Yeoman Rand had a name we knew, even if she was barely even reoccurring. Many of these characters on THIS show are only named in scripts, or on Trek wikis.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Kromm said:

To a degree that's a TV thing. "Reoccurring" VS "Regulars".  But they handle it badly. Even Yeoman Rand had a name we knew, even if she was barely even reoccurring. Many of these characters on THIS show are only named in scripts, or on Trek wikis.

That's true, and I should clarify that I am only talking about the recurring characters, even if some of them seem to be in nearly every episode. 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size