Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Birth Mother

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Rebecca moved to NJ as well to be close to Randall and her first set of grandkids.

Rebecca lived somewhere in PA with Miguel.

2 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Hai said he was with her when she died, so that should be pretty good verification. But then......William thought he was with her when she died too.

I don't know why Randall's mother had to be sent all the way to CA, I am guessing because it is as far as you can get from PA without leaving the continental US. But some of the others actually make sense. Jack and Nicky were from PA, it makes sense Nicky would stay in that area. And Rebecca and Miguel moved to California to be near Kate and her baby. Kate's ex boyfriend.....that one is a stretch, but it isn't totally unbelievable that a loser wanting to be a musician would not stay in Pittsburgh. It would have been worse if he was right in Los Angeles.

But you are right, they will have Randall popping out to California and back like it is nothing. After all if he can drive from northeastern NJ to Philly and back like it is nothing, a cross country flight is no big deal. TV travel is like TV money....it only matters when the writers want it to.

Yup, according to this show, driving from Alpine, NJ to Philly is nothing at all - even though it's close to 2 hours.

At least if they had gone "oh she served her time in Ohio" they could maybe go "well the bordering state of Ohio took some of PAs prisoners because reasons, then she was somewhere in Ohio and there was a discount ticket to New Orleans so she went there"

• Love 2
6 hours ago, bros402 said:

Yup, according to this show, driving from Alpine, NJ to Philly is nothing at all - even though it's close to 2 hours.

They even explicitly said it took an hour (when he brought Deja down there one random afternoon), and I was thinking, I am between Alpine and Philly (65 miles from Alpine and 58 miles from Philly) and it takes me an hour and a half. When I go to Philly, it's a day trip. Alpine to Philly is 109 miles. Does he drive a hovercraft?

• LOL 3
12 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Hai said he was with her when she died, so that should be pretty good verification. But then......William thought he was with her when she died too.

Right.  I'm being facetious but this show is really going for the soap opera tropes so I'm expecting that there will be a "she didn't really die...he just thought she died i.e., Tonya Roberts..." and ends up showing up at Randall's new house! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, ams1001 said:

They even explicitly said it took an hour (when he brought Deja down there one random afternoon), and I was thinking, I am between Alpine and Philly (65 miles from Alpine and 58 miles from Philly) and it takes me an hour and a half. When I go to Philly, it's a day trip. Alpine to Philly is 109 miles. Does he drive a hovercraft?

A flying BMW.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 1/12/2021 at 7:02 PM, gonzosgirrl said:

I wish I could have felt something with that whole soap opera in the lake at the end,  but no. 

The only way to redeem that scene for me would've been if his Mom turned into a zombie, attacked him, and he woke up screaming 🤓

• LOL 8

I can understand and explain away some of the adoption stuff and Laurel not searching for Randall. She o.d.'d (if I'm not mistaken) right during giving birth.  Sooo.. she may not even have known she gave birth to a boy?? Even so, she may not have known the name(?). I know it was probably decided before birth since after William's favorite poet, but still. There was no last name to go on. No signature would've been on the adoption papers since Randall was left at a fire station. So, I get that part of it. Even in 2014-ish, it may not have been easy to locate Randall. Laurel could've asssumed William was deceased. She could've assumed William was raising Randall (like he maybe promised her or she assumed he would). She stayed away out of shame & she said as much. What if the o.d. caused the baby some problems? She wouldn't be able to live with that, I don't think. 

That said, I hope we can wrap up the chapter on Randall's abandonment issues as the saga went on for 40 years. Glad he got closure in pretty much any and every possible way including adopting Deja. Most people don't get that much closure and LOVE -even when they don't go through being adopted. There are open wounds even for some of us who were born & raised by our bio parents. A touching end there.

Glad Randall & Kevin seem ok now. Talking terms anyway.  Can't wait to see how things unfold. We saw only a boy child of Kevin's in the future so we'll see how the birth goes? I had preemie twins (by 4 weeks early) & can say it's high risk, yes. Can't predict when you'll go into labor, Kevin should've stayed nearby. It's the scariest but best experience having those little ones. I hope it all goes well. 

• Love 2

I like Hai.  A lot.  I liked the way he did not indulge Randall's brattiness (Randall is not used to that, lol).  Instead, he continued carrying out the business he likely promised the love of his life he would do if possible.  I could see it going something like this.  "Hai, don't make it your life's mission to find my son (because I sure didn't), but if you ever were able to somehow find him, please see that he's given my house he inherited as per my will."  I really liked that Hai has a family (children and grandchildren) of his own, and doesn't care or need to care about mollycoddling Randall.  It's refreshing - finally this is one fringe character who is not itching to be a part of the Pearson family.  Ironic, since he's a fringe character that I wouldn't mind seeing more of.

Speaking of fringe characters.  Laurel is a fringe character, making Auntie Mae fringe-fringe.  I don't see why we need to know any of a fringe-fringe character's life story.  If a prior family estrangement was necessary to show us why a relationship with Auntie Mae was forbidden, there are many other reasons for estrangement besides having a baby out of wedlock.  Just saying.... 

We all know that simply grabbing some keys does not a home owner make.  But I'm glad to have been spared the monotony of watching the house officially become Randall's.  However, because the way Hai found Randall is so ridiculous, we should be shown it's all legit.  A quick call to the girls would accomplish that.  "Hi Girls, we're all packed up and we'll be on the road as soon as this meeting with lawyers to sign some papers is done.  See you soon!".  Was it mentioned how long Beth and Randall would be away?  The two older girls might be okay to spend a few nights alone but not with the responsibility of caring for younger Annie.  Maybe Beth's mother was there.  Regardless, if the girls were a few years older, part of me would hope that Deja and Malik spent the whole time boinking each other's brains out and that Tess and Annie threw a huge party.  Kidding, but that's how annoying I find Randall sometimes.  Also, does anyone else think the girls seem older than they are?  

I didn't hate this entire instalment of This Is Randall (yes, I know that's been said, but it's actually what my son and I call this show), and I've invested too much in it to stop watching now, but the murky water screaming nearly did me in.  That was nonsense.  I didn't even find it the slightest bit original or creative in any way.  I will definitely remember it as the moment the show turned for me.  I know what this show is, but I know they're capable (or used to be) of much better than that.  Just cheap and cheesy and very poorly done.  And predictable.  As soon as Laurel walked into that water and began her scream, I turned to my son and said:  "See that?  Before the hour is up, Randall will walk into that water and scream.  No question about it".  I gave the show too much credit to have predicted ghost mom, though.  Never again will that happen.  I will predict all the cheesiness I possibly can.  Not even SKB's acting (overacting?) could save it for me.  It might as well have been Fonzie there on my screen, water skiing.  

• Love 10

Glad Randall & Kevin seem ok now. Talking terms anyway.  Can't wait to see how things unfold. We saw only a boy child of Kevin's in the future so we'll see how the birth goes? I had preemie twins (by 4 weeks early) & can say it's high risk, yes. Can't predict when you'll go into labor, Kevin should've stayed nearby. It's the scariest but best experience having those little ones. I hope it all goes well. 

I could be imagining things but pretty sure we also saw a girl (not in the same episode as when we first saw the boy, but a later one when they were all in Rebecca's room).

Edited by redpencil
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Dreamboat Annie said:

I could see it going something like this.  "Hai, don't make it your life's mission to find my son (because I sure didn't), but if you ever were able to somehow find him, please see that he's given my house he inherited as per my will." 

You put more thought into this than the writers did!

2 hours ago, redpencil said:

I could be imagining things but pretty sure we also saw a girl (not in the same episode as when we first saw the boy, but a later one when they were all in Rebecca's room).

In last year’s finale when Madison’s telling Kevin that it’s twins, they intercut the scene with a boy and then a girl coming into the room in the flash forward.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Yes, here is that clip. "Kiddo" enters the room at 1:30 followed shortly thereafter by "Baby" (either they didn't want to give their names because they want to make a big deal about naming Jack's baby Hope or they are holding them for a later surprise reveal? Why do I think this is going to end up like the end of Harry Potter and only the Pearsons get to pick the names for kids? We know that Randall picked Tess (named her after a fan) and Kate picked Jack). 

I could see it going something like this.  "Hai, don't make it your life's mission to find my son (because I sure didn't), but if you ever were able to somehow find him, please see that he's given my house he inherited as per my will

Do they have inheritance tax in Louisiana? Did Hai pay it for the house initially or is the will still open? Is there a limit to how long a will can be in probate or any reason not to keep it there indefinitely?

She o.d.'d (if I'm not mistaken) right during giving birth.  Sooo.. she may not even have known she gave birth to a boy?? Even so, she may not have known the name(?). I know it was probably decided before birth since after William's favorite poet, but still. There was no last name to go on. No signature would've been on the adoption papers since Randall was left at a fire station. 

Maybe I've watched too much Law and Order, but there were a few episodes where they figured how to associated abandoned babies with woman who had just given birth. I don't think it's very common for a woman who has recently given birth (easy to tell) shows up screaming about a missing baby and a baby mysteriously shows up at a fire station that is all that hard to pair them up. They may have stripped her of her parental rights as they sent her off to jail, but that was never mentioned when the Pearsons tried to adopt (the judge was reluctant to sign off) or by her later. It certainly would have meant Randall would be easier to find. 

Edited by kili
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, kili said:

Do they have inheritance tax in Louisiana? Did Hai pay it for the house initially or is the will still open? Is there a limit to how long a will can be in probate or any reason not to keep it there indefinitely?

Maybe I've watched too much Law and Order, but there were a few episodes where they figured how to associated abandoned babies with woman who had just given birth. I don't think it's very common for a woman who has recently given birth (easy to tell) shows up screaming about a missing baby and a baby mysteriously shows up at a fire station that is all that hard to pair them up. They may have stripped her of her parental rights as they sent her off to jail, but that was never mentioned when the Pearsons tried to adopt (the judge was reluctant to sign off) or by her later. It certainly would have meant Randall would be easier to find. 

From this episode, it seemed like her concerns were just disregarded and they did not care enough to look for her son.

A will can be in probate for a loooong time - I remember reading about one when I was helping someone with their family history where it lasted like 30 years to probate an estate? It was ridiculous.

Also, no estate tax in Louisiana. I'm guessing Laurel's will had something like "Hai may live in my home until he passes. If he is able to locate my unknown child, the house will pass to him."

However, they'd need DNA of Laurel's to prove that Randall is her son - Laurel didn't have any other kids, she had no living siblings, and all of her immediate family was deceased. However, a tumor bank somewhere could potentially have one of her tumors (see the Joseph Newton Chandler III case, where the identity of Mr. Nichols was confirmed through a sample taken to diagnose his colon cancer)

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

As much as I wanted the show to flesh out Laurel, this sucked

The poster who I'm quoting talked about Laurel's story being told through the lens of a man. That's true, but the major problem I had with it was that Laurel was in love with Hai AND she and William were supposedly some great love affair as well.  We know that Kevin and Sophie divorced and Kate and Toby have had issues in their marriage, yet Randall's parents are all some great love stories?  (And that includes Jack and Rebecca.)  I find it a tad much.

This episode made me wish there had been no William at all.  I found Hai and Laurel's story to be more enjoyable.. Randall could have been the son of Hai and Laurel instead.  I also liked the dynamic between Laurel and Jackson, and Laurel and Aunt May.  All of that would make an interesting spin-off movie. Laurel's family dynamic plus Hai.  Zero William.

Now on to Kevin, which also interests me.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, Ohmo said:

The poster who I'm quoting talked about Laurel's story being told through the lens of a man. That's true, but the major problem I had with it was that Laurel was in love with Hai AND she and William were supposedly some great love affair as well.  We know that Kevin and Sophie divorced and Kate and Toby have had issues in their marriage, yet Randall's parents are all some great love stories?  (And that includes Jack and Rebecca.)  I find it a tad much.

This episode made me wish there had been no William at all.  I found Hai and Laurel's story to be more enjoyable.. Randall could have been the son of Hai and Laurel instead.  I also liked the dynamic between Laurel and Jackson, and Laurel and Aunt May.  All of that would make an interesting spin-off movie. Laurel's family dynamic plus Hai.  Zero William.

Now on to Kevin, which also interests me.

I see what you mean. I felt it was too crowded. You can love a few people but was William really a big love or just a guy she did drugs with? I'm sure from William's stories they were in love but the drugs muted everything. It caused all their problems but without them, there wouldn't have been an adoption. They could have had her leave pregnant, find a birthing program like some churches have where pregnant women stay and then gave her son up for adoption and he was mixed. Then he finds Hai and his wife is dead and Laurel but some interesting stories to tell and a house. But they wanted it to be this way and I felt too far from the core of the show. It was crazy enough to give Rebecca another baby to fill in the triplet cribs but then to add all this history seemed over the top. Great actors all of them though, so that is a plus.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
On 1/12/2021 at 10:32 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

As much as I wanted the show to flesh out Laurel, this sucked.  It's Laurel's story filtered through a man.  Laurel gets clean, but lives a half-life hiding from the world with her aunt.  All she gets are furtive glances with her first love.  Because they can't be together,  he's married.  There was no joy in her life until her last two years when she gets to be with Hai again.  Can these writers not think of a happy life for a woman without a man??

I mean, they did go with Tess being a lesbian. I'm sure we'll get an episode dedicated to her future epic lesbian love that will be reminscent of the San Junipero episode of Black Mirror.

On 1/13/2021 at 3:02 AM, gonzosgirrl said:

I wish I could have felt something with that whole soap opera in the lake at the end,  but no. 

Not one of the best episodes.  I hope Randall begins to soften a little now.  His ego has become monstrous, but I'll forgive him because of the brilliant boxer shorts dance! 😉 

• LOL 1

Well, I finally got to an episode that I hated ("hate" is a bit too strong but, man, this was awful). First of all, I've disliked Randal since the first episode and I don't care about what happened to his biological parents. The scenes we saw of Randal in the past being an Afro-American growing in a white environment, the insecurity he felt about being adopted; these scenes were interesting 'cause they showed us how Randal became the way he is, they helped explain him; his birth parents weren't a part of his life; they, as individuals had no impact on his life growing up (especially Laurel who never even met him) and I'm not interested in learning anything about them.

My other issue with this storyline is that we have a second person back from the dead. Personally, I'm glad that Nicky is alive and it's something that's plausible; Laurel however is dead, then there's a pulse, then a huge gasp, eyes fling wide open and she's alive; it was just sooooo soapy. And then Randal sees his mother's "ghost" at the lake - soapy. Last, but not least, the pace of this episode was extremely slow and there was this slow, sad music playing in the background which felt manipulative. All of this so that Randal could have two bio parents who loved him and a house in New Orleans - pfff.

Edited by christie
  • Love 2

Well that was kinda pointless, wasn't it?

5 years for simple posession? I know it was the height of the war on drugs and I know she is black, but she is also a woman. When it comes to harsheness of sentencing it goes (from most to least):

• black man
  • white man
  • black woman
  • white woman

Either there were a bunch of prior crimes on record that they aren't telling us about or this is pretty bullshitty.

I mean on top of the bullshit that William would have thought she was dead...

If that family was so super rich, shouldn't Randall have inherited more than that farm house? I mean his mom was the only child of that family who was left. Who else would they have left it to, even if they were estranged?

Also I'm not well versed in american inheritance law, but isn't there a part of the inhertiance that has to go to the children either way?

Edit: After reading this thread: Man, ya'll got some scaary things in the water where you live. Aligators, snakes, etc. Here I was not thinking about any of this. When you jump in the water in germany worst animal you'll encounter is a fhish slightly scaring you while brushing past your leg.

Edited by Zonk
On 9/1/2021 at 11:11 PM, Zonk said:

Also I'm not well versed in american inheritance law, but isn't there a part of the inhertiance that has to go to the children either way?

The parents could've just disinherited Randall's mom in their will and donated everything to charity.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, bros402 said:

The parents could've just disinherited Randall's mom in their will and donated everything to charity.

Thanks for the clearification. American family law is weird...

On 9/1/2021 at 8:11 PM, Zonk said:

You're probably thinking of the "Pflichtteil" in Germany. I don't think there's an American equivalent for that. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Zonk said:

They could've also just given her $1, aka the easier way to disinherit - or set up something like a trust, maybe "all of our money will be put into a trust which will pay for the upkeep of this house and if she dies without a legal heir (Randall would not be a legal heir as he was adopted, so all legal connection between him and Laurel was severed), it will go to charity"

• Love 2
On 9/4/2021 at 1:43 PM, Zonk said:

Most states in the USA do not have any required inheritance to adult children. Louisiana DOES actually, (the Napoleonic Code and all) but 

On 9/4/2021 at 11:46 PM, bros402 said:

They could've also just given her $1, aka the easier way to disinherit - or set up something like a trust, maybe "all of our money will be put into a trust which will pay for the upkeep of this house and if she dies without a legal heir (Randall would not be a legal heir as he was adopted, so all legal connection between him and Laurel was severed), it will go to charity"

That’s very likely. 

• Love 1
On 1/13/2021 at 1:55 AM, bros402 said:

1. Chi McBride! Can we have an episode on him? I can always used more Chi McBride on my screen. Could the episode perhaps also have Lee Pace, Anna Friel, and Kristin Chenoweth?

2. Uhhh, so Laurel was in federal prison, right? Since uhhh, otherwise how the hell did she get sent to California to serve her sentence because "the prison in Pittsburgh was packed." The cops arresting her looked like local cops, but yeaaaah

3. Randall swam naked with his naked ghost mom. That is all.

Many prisoners sentenced in state courts serve time in federal prisons pursuant to agreements between that state and the Federal government.  Laurel's "crime" violated Pennsylvania law, and she would have been sentenced (if at all) to state prison, but could have been transferred to federal custody for some or all of her time.  States also sometimes have agreements with other states, and so Laurel could in theory have been serving her Pennsylvania time in a California state facility.  But it's all highly unlikely if not ridiculous (the five years and not even looking for William, whom she could have found easily).  Really terrible plotting.